Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 5:41:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I don't like it. I would be fine not knowing how anyone feels about one another unless it's buddy buddy stuff like the players in Japan.

If Zim had given us a championship then it might be a different story. I don't think the old school thing meshes well with what and how Zim shares with the media. Just because you 'shoot straight' and 'tell it like it is' doesn't mean you have to share.

Look at how this appears vs something like - Rhodes is an amazing player and this year I challenge him prove he's the best...he has it in him. I feel like last year was a bit of a down year for him and I'd like him to kill it this year.

I think it was a mistake for the coach to talk about earning money.

How about this: "Xavier was dinged up all last year and still a gutted out a solid season that didn't quite measure up to his own standards. He's healthy this year and I expect him to have a bounce-back season."
Post #: 3576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 5:55:49 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If Rhodes is upset about challenging comments directed towards him by his coach- that may be a good thing. It would be easier to know if we knew Rhodes better, but perhaps or even probably Zimmer knows his players well, especially in the secondary and Rhodes has been together with Zimmer since his second season. Anyway, I think it's better not to overreact to Rhodes initial reaction. Let's give it some more time. If his reaction was milquetoast, that might be actually more concerning.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:02:44 PM   
kwheats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2xDlGHUcAAWK_G.jpg

Read the whole quote Zimmer did say he was part of the problem.
Post #: 3578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:10:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Most of today's players just dont respond well to Zimm's old school style and personality...

As well I think some of them have a point, if Zimm cant look in mirror and start with himself and his coaches under him... Their perceived "game planning" and lack of adjustments in game...

Not a good look when your strongest position point in coaching, the star corner is unhappy with being thrown under bus and called out in public over his play in your schemes.

Players love to play for Zimmer seems to be losing its merit...

Didn't Zimmer say he was going to change things up on defense? Some out of the box stuff?

That would seem to me that he is admitting that he needs to change his philosophy for better results.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 3/28/2019 6:15:19 PM >
Post #: 3579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:21:31 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I don't like it. I would be fine not knowing how anyone feels about one another unless it's buddy buddy stuff like the players in Japan.

If Zim had given us a championship then it might be a different story. I don't think the old school thing meshes well with what and how Zim shares with the media. Just because you 'shoot straight' and 'tell it like it is' doesn't mean you have to share.

Look at how this appears vs something like - Rhodes is an amazing player and this year I challenge him prove he's the best...he has it in him. I feel like last year was a bit of a down year for him and I'd like him to kill it this year.

I think it was a mistake for the coach to talk about earning money.

Zimmer crossed a line on that comment and the effects on the team will range from neutral to poor.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:29:43 PM   
kwheats

Xavier Rhodes and Antonio Brown’s “brotherly” relationship could be the problem!!!
Post #: 3581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:38:10 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2xDlGHUcAAWK_G.jpg

Read the whole quote Zimmer did say he was part of the problem.

It was a passive, slightly back-handed admission of being part of the problem.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:40:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Xavier Rhodes and Antonio Brown’s “brotherly” relationship could be the problem!!!

Zimmer called out Cousins too.

How did the softer gentler Zimmer work out last year?
Post #: 3583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/28/2019 6:49:28 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Zimmer called out Cousins too.

How did the softer gentler Zimmer work out last year?

About as well as a Stuffed Animal Massacre message

If players stop buying into Zimm's style we are in big trouble...

Hopefully a strong presence on offense from the Kubiak crew can get that side of things in order and give Zimm more concentration on his strengths... No excuses this season if what should be a top rated D struggles in stretches with unimaginative game planning and clear lack of in game adjustments to what we all see and yell at the screen 2/3 of the game from our homes...
Post #: 3584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 2:02:22 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I think Rag has a solid point regarding Zim should "look in the mirror"

Many of his game plans are not good nor do I see smart in game adjustments.

When your team comes out flat in a 'play in game" at home nonetheless. QB and top WR arguing on the sideline and many players only putting in a minimal effort suggests Zim has lost their ear.

Calling guys out (even if deserved) doesn't appear to be going over very well.

i'm not a zimmer lover, but i think that zimmer knows exactly who he is as a coach...he recognizes his own deficiencies...he doesn't fluff people up, just as he doesn't fluff himself up....

they've been talking a lot about money and the salary cap in the front office lately - so, with that in mind he perhaps went a little too far...it is what it is, and i'd bet that it does motivate rhodes to play better....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 8:40:35 AM   
ronhextall

Speilman gets another year added to his contract. I guess that means there will be no accountability if this season is a turd.
Post #: 3586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 9:36:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Rhodes would be elite without the penalties.

http://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/03/can-xavier-rhodes-bounce-back/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 10:17:37 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Most of today's players just dont respond well to Zimm's old school style and personality...

As well I think some of them have a point, if Zimm cant look in mirror and start with himself and his coaches under him... Their perceived "game planning" and lack of adjustments in game...

Not a good look when your strongest position point in coaching, the star corner is unhappy with being thrown under bus and called out in public over his play in your schemes.

Players love to play for Zimmer seems to be losing its merit...

Didn't Zimmer say he was going to change things up on defense? Some out of the box stuff?

That would seem to me that he is admitting that he needs to change his philosophy for better results.

I read that the same way.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 10:57:09 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

When your team comes out flat in a 'play in game" at home nonetheless. QB and top WR arguing on the sideline and many players only putting in a minimal effort suggests Zim has lost their ear.

i'm not a zimmer lover, but i think that zimmer knows exactly who he is as a coach...he recognizes his own deficiencies...he doesn't fluff people up, just as he doesn't fluff himself up....

they've been talking a lot about money and the salary cap in the front office lately - so, with that in mind he perhaps went a little too far...it is what it is, and i'd bet that it does motivate rhodes to play better....

Hard to imagine the players don't respect a guy who is willing to risk blindness rather than take a day off from coaching. Zimmer himself said a Super Bowl victory is more important to him than the sight in that eye.
Post #: 3589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 11:09:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Courtney Cronin on KFAN said she expects a bounce back season from Xavier Rhodes.

The #Vikings CB dealt with multiple nagging injuries throughout the season.

She said Zimmer’s comments about Rhodes’ play last year was just a “standard” way of the coach trying to motivate him.

Post #: 3590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 11:34:50 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Hard to imagine the players don't respect a guy who is willing to risk blindness rather than take a day off from coaching. Zimmer himself said a Super Bowl victory is more important to him than the sight in that eye.

A super bowl or vision in either of my eyes? That's an easy easy choice for me. I'll take my eyes working. I guess that's why Zimmer is an NFL coach and I'm not. I honestly don't know if I respect it or think it's bordering on insane! Maybe both!
Post #: 3591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 12:08:00 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well what's holding him back then? Go get that Super Bowl. It's entirely within his control. It's not about 'risking blindness' it's about coaching a team to a title. It requires more than just desire.

Post #: 3592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/29/2019 12:54:56 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well what's holding him back then? Go get that Super Bowl. It's entirely within his control. It's not about 'risking blindness' it's about coaching a team to a title. It requires more than just desire.

31 other teams with bazillions invested fanatically obsessed with the same goal?
Post #: 3593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 7:52:28 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/27/18284116/why-pat-elflein-needs-serious-competition-at-center

Posted this a couple pages back but I think it got buried by the Rhodes tweet.

Very good article. Plenty of footage.

The tape focuses on Elf but the G play obviously could be equally scrutinized.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 3/30/2019 8:48:17 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 11:20:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/27/18284116/why-pat-elflein-needs-serious-competition-at-center

Gonna argue with myself here:
- The video paints a pretty bad picture, and is confined to one (important) game, but...
- Anyone could probably handpick around 10 plays in a game for any NFL player to bolster their argument, but...
- The jury should be out on Elf, big time.

There is some footage on Kline, over a bunch of games, and the same hand-picked argument applies. However, he looks like a guy who likes to mix it up.

Elf in contrast - in those videos anyway - looks like he's learning to ice skate.

Not writing Elf off, but I hope we draft someone who has played G and C.
Post #: 3595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 11:50:24 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

- The video paints a pretty bad picture, and is confined to one (important) game, but...
- Anyone could probably handpick around 10 plays in a game for any NFL player to bolster their argument, but...

There is some footage on Kline, over a bunch of games, and the same hand-picked argument applies. However, he looks like a guy who likes to mix it up.

Elf in contrast - in those videos anyway - looks like he's learning to ice skate.

When he pulls and gets out in space he is in front of the play but seemed to have trouble zeroing in on a guy to block and wiffed more times than not. However, I remember him being much better at this as a rookie.

Seemed the oline was confused and had little purpose and no idea how to handle stunts which falls on the coaching.

Agree with your take for the most part but there was extensive video there of other games as well.

Post #: 3596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 12:42:26 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

When he pulls and gets out in space he is in front of the play but seemed to have trouble zeroing in on a guy to block and wiffed more times than not. However, I remember him being much better at this as a rookie.

Seemed the oline was confused and had little purpose and no idea how to handle stunts which falls on the coaching.

Agree with your take for the most part but there was extensive video there of other games as well.

i have to say that i watched that tape and it's not nearly as bad as i expected...on almost every play elflein's man arrived at the tackle after the tackle was already being made by other defensive players...i totally expect elflein to improve this season with a full dose of offseason workouts and dennison's coaching skill and leadership....

in my opionion we're good at center this year - spielman probably selects one in the 6th round....

Post #: 3597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 2:40:39 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Johanesen

C'mon Bill ... that article is completely one-sided. Totally skewed to a conclusion.

If your conclusion is that Elflein is not dedicated enough or low effort and that hopefully a new coach can motivate him ... you are probably talking about the wrong guy. The guy is supposed to be freakish in his work habits and dedication. (athleticism and developed technique is another story)

The title is spot on ... Elflein played poorly last year – and he should have decent competition to either re-establish himself as the starter or drop back into a back-up C/G position.

But I doubt that will happen. It seems as if they seized on the guy two years ago, and were so impressed with him his rookie year – in spite of him playing just adequate overall – that they have entrenched him as starter.

Enough to keep Jones on the bench in 2018 regardless of how Elflein was performing. The fact that they are trying hard to resign Jones tells me they like his game ... so Elflein didn't hold on to the starter position last season because we had no other option.

If we resign Jones, I would be surprised if we drafted a 'pure' C or Center first/Guard second player in the first 3 or 4 rounds.
Post #: 3598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 3:03:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

What you seen was a guy deserving of being the 32nd ranked center in the league.

If your satisfied with that more power to you.

Post #: 3599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/30/2019 3:23:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm starting to be swayed into hoping the Vikings select Bradbury or McCoy in the draft and then enabling a competition at the center position. I don't think either will be still there at #50, though.

Post #: 3600
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode