Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 1:50:42 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Ben Goessling

Verified account

@GoesslingStrib
Follow Follow @GoesslingStrib
More
Terms are in on Anthony Barr's deal: He gets a $13 million signing bonus, and his 2019 cap number is only $5.6 million.

Brez is a ****ing genius if he really pulled that off.

He is just kicking the can down the road but it is a "win now" situation so probably a good strategy.

Not necessarily....Cap goes up every year.

Also, I believe that the cba expires, or is up for renegotiation next year - that could alter the cap rules somewhat....

It is going to get ugly. NFL players have been complaining about non-guaranteed contracts for a while now. And when you look at the NBA and MLB, they probably have a point.

When they bump the NFL rosters back to 20 and increase the NFL regular season + playoffs to 100+ games...
Post #: 3526
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 1:52:10 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ben Goessling

Verified account

@GoesslingStrib
More
Terms are in on Anthony Barr's deal: He gets a $13 million signing bonus, and his 2019 cap number is only $5.6 million.

He is just kicking the can down the road but it is a "win now" situation so probably a good strategy.

Also, I believe that the cba expires, or is up for renegotiation next year - that could alter the cap rules somewhat....

It is going to get ugly. NFL players have been complaining about non-guaranteed contracts for a while now. And when you look at the NBA and MLB, they probably have a point.

NBA and MLB need to change. Not NFL. IMHO. Paying enormous salaries to players who can no longer play or play well is ridiculous.

NBA is an absolute joke, players you never heard of making $25M/yr
Post #: 3527
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 3:59:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ben Goessling

Verified account

@GoesslingStrib
More

NBA and MLB need to change. Not NFL. IMHO. Paying enormous salaries to players who can no longer play or play well is ridiculous.

NBA is an absolute joke, players you never heard of making $25M/yr

Those players make the NBA a ton of money....I remember what MJ was paid and what he made the NBA many of those years.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3528
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 4:01:28 PM   
ronhextall

Nba is all about marketing the individual and not the team.
Post #: 3529
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 4:27:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

thank you sir, may i have another....

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
The #Vikings are releasing starting guard Mike Remmers, source said. The O-line overhaul begins.

Don't we take a large cap hit releasing him?

Nope. Just $1.8 million.

I thought it was 5.8 million. Cool.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3530
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 5:50:08 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Ben Goessling

Verified account

@GoesslingStrib
More

All it means is that it is back loaded and we get hit harder in the next couple years.

Basically its a 3 year 33ml deal

Back loading is a bad idea. Puts you in cap hell later. ie.. the saints owe Breez a ton of money even if he retired today.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3531
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2019 9:49:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

Paul Allen
‏@PAOnTheMic
31m31 minutes ago

Paul Allen Retweeted WashTimes Sports

Must-purchase ticket: The #Vikings and Kirk Cousins will face Washington with AP and Case Keenum at US Bank Stadium next season. Plus, Zimmer and Jay Gruden coached together in Cincy. I'm already excited!
Post #: 3532
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 12:19:44 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Paul Allen
‏@PAOnTheMic
31m31 minutes ago

Paul Allen Retweeted WashTimes Sports

Must-purchase ticket: The #Vikings and Kirk Cousins will face Washington with AP and Case Keenum at US Bank Stadium next season. Plus, Zimmer and Jay Gruden coached together in Cincy. I'm already excited!

Problem is, with the intrigue here schedule makers will push this to a National televised time slot or worse yet MNF almost ensuring another struggle in a season where our sched looks tough enough as is...

Going to be fun, without ties the doom and gloom realist in me sees 9 - 7 at best, more likely south of 8 - 8 with where we are at with roster at this point... lots can change yet as all my overly optimistic friends here politely remind me on a reg basis...

Home Games:

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos

Atlanta Falcons

Away Games:

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Seattle Seahawks

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/14/2019 12:24:13 PM >
Post #: 3533
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:16:52 PM   
David Levine

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Everson Griffen has restructured his contract to stay with the Vikings, a league source confirms. From what I've heard this week, the deal should be pretty team friendly, and should clear a fair amount of cap space for the Vikings.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Griffen will make $8 million in 2019, a source confirms. He was scheduled to have a base salary of $10.9 million this season.
Post #: 3534
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:38:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

MAR 14 2019 Reduced his baes salary from $10.9M to $6.4M, increasing Per Game Active Bonuses from $500,000 to $1.5M with Minnesota (MIN), clearing $3.4M of cap space

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/everson-griffen-6608/

Post #: 3535
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:45:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

MAR 14 2019 Reduced his baes salary from $10.9M to $6.4M, increasing Per Game Active Bonuses from $500,000 to $1.5M with Minnesota (MIN), clearing $3.4M of cap space

Do the game bonuses not count towards the cap?
Post #: 3536
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:47:17 PM   
Pager

I'm reading 4.3M in cap space. Which is closer to the 5M I was hoping for.

Pro Bowl defensive end Everson Griffen has agreed to the terms of a contract restructure, multiple sources told ESPN, and signed his deal around 3 p.m. CT on Thursday. To avoid becoming a cap casualty, Griffen agreed to drop his base salary from $10.9 to $6.4 million in 2019 while is weekly roster bonuses went from $500K to $1.5 million. Griffen's cap hit was initially $11,743,750 and is now $7,431,250, which created $4.3 million in cap space for the Vikings, who entered Thursday with $2.95 million in available spending money. More importantly, Griffen agreeing to take a pay cut allows him to stay with the team that drafted him nine seasons ago and supported him through off-the-field issues dealing with mental health that caused him to miss five weeks last season. Griffen's deal in 2019 is set to pay him around $8 million total. According to a source, the final three years of Griffen's contract (2020-22) are still a part of is deal, meaning the Vikings did not delete any years on the DE's deal, but Griffen is able to void them after the 2019 season by increasing his playing time and the sack numbers he accrued last season, per a league source.

As pointed out, we have a very expensive defense. I'll try to find how we rank in salary cap spent on D. We had several players underperform:

Rhodes
Joseph
Kendricks
Many would say Barr

We lost Richardson but I hope our defense plays better. For that money, I expect it.

< Message edited by Pager -- 3/14/2019 3:56:23 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3537
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:52:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

11.7 cap # to 7.9 #.... I have no idea what those bonuses are but....3.4 to 3.8 million in cap savings.

Post #: 3538
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:53:39 PM   
David Levine

4.3 is a much better number.

Still a lot more work to do.
Post #: 3539
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 3:54:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

4.3 is a much better number.

Still a lot more work to do.

We have 7.4-7.8 after paying for draft picks currently.

Post #: 3540
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 4:00:13 PM   
Pager

Vikings are #1. Don't think this includes Barr's contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

Post #: 3541
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 4:04:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It feels like the brass are trying to "keep the band together". I do believe that good teams enjoy good continuity and communication. It still is a team sport.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3542
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2019 7:14:03 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Do the game bonuses not count towards the cap?

I guess you can't really count them now, theoretically we could still cut him before the season. Maybe it goes against the 2020 cap.
Post #: 3543
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 6:20:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

barr and griffen....

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
#Vikings GM Rick Spielman: "No. 1 priority for us is we always try to keep our own."

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3544
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 11:25:43 AM   
David Levine

Former Vikings guard Nick Easton visits Saints
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 15, 2019, 2:06 AM EDT

Former Minnesota Vikings guard Nick Easton visited the New Orleans Saints on Thursday, per Field Yates of ESPN.com.

Easton missed all of last season for the Vikings after injuring his neck in the preseason. Easton required surgery and landed on injured reserve.

He started 12 of 16 games for the Vikings in 2017 before a fractured ankle injured his season in December. The Vikings placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Easton to keep him with the team last season only to lose him for the year before the regular season began.

Per the report, Easton could still end up back with the Vikings but he is getting interest on the market

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/former-vikings-guard-nick-easton-visits-saints/

Easton has appeared in 23 career games for Minnesota with 17 starts.
Post #: 3545
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 3:52:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Saints obviously have a lower second round pick to forfeit to us. I still would like the draft pick.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3546
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 4:09:43 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The Saints obviously have a lower second round pick to forfeit to us. I still would like the draft pick.

I don't believe Easton has a pick associated with him this year. He had a second-round tender last off-season.
Post #: 3547
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 4:11:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

I don't believe Easton has a pick associated with him this year. He had a second-round tender last off-season.

Correct. It was last year.

He's a true unrestricted free agent now. Free to sign with anyone and there would be no compensation.
Post #: 3548
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2019 6:08:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Correct. It was last year.

He's a true unrestricted free agent now. Free to sign with anyone and there would be no compensation.

Thanks for the correction. I normally don't pay attention to things like that, but it is important.

Post #: 3549
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2019 12:46:35 PM   
Pager

"I know a lot of laymen don’t understand this, but Anthony is a guy that every team that we play game plans for," Zimmer said. "There’s not one team – there might have been one team last year that didn’t, and we got 10 sacks. They all game plan for him."

Zimmer appeared to be referring to the Dolphins as the team that didn’t game plan for Barr. In that game the Vikings got nine (not 10) sacks, and Barr was a huge problem for the Dolphins’ pass protection.

Post #: 3550
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode