Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  203 204 [205] 206 207   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 5:14:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I love the way this article is written. It made me laugh.

Looking at key positional battles heading towards training camp https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/11/18660455/looking-at-key-positional-battles-heading-towards-training-camp

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 5:37:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I am looking forward to next offseason when the Vikings either give Cousins an extension to get some cap relief for next season, or Cousins shows he is a team player and takes a Brady-like cut for the team.

He would have no reason to do any of that. I would love it if he did...but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will even talk about restructure. The Vikings have NO leverage on that one. They can't cut him, the hit to the cap would be massive. They would only be able to trade him and where would that leave us?

I have a feeling they draft a guy next year to replace him and let him walk after the 2020 season freeing up a big chunk of cap space.

But we will see.

The chances of drafting a QB that will be good after one year on the bench are remote. We really need to have Cousins for another 3 or 4 years even if we draft a QB in the first round next year. Then odds are that QB fails and we have to try for another.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 6:00:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is the year that the team does all it can to support Cousins. No excuses though if it doesn't work this year. If it works this season, then it makes sense to extend his contract this time next year. If it doesn't, then the Vikings should do all they can to get the best quarterback they can in the 2020 draft.

Question: With the latest change in Rudolph's contract, where are the Vikings sitting with regard to the salary cap in 2019? I bet it's still tight, but maybe a million or two under.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 6:05:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not a big Rudolph fan but am ok he is in the fold with Smith Jr. Figure out how to use them all. Plus (if a post above is true) the contract gives us cap relief now which would probably be a key item going in.
Post #: 5104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 6:29:09 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Not a big Rudolph fan but am ok he is in the fold with Smith Jr. Figure out how to use them all. Plus (if a post above is true) the contract gives us cap relief now which would probably be a key item going in.

If it causes us to lose Weatherly or Harris, I might be upset.

He(Rudy) shouldn't be asked to do the 'move TE' routes anymore with Smith on the team.
Post #: 5105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 6:33:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A couple of articles that look like they might be interesting.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-vikings-minicamp-playmakers-step-up

https://www.vikings.com/news/holmes-johnson-could-provide-extra-push-for-vikings-defensive-line

Post #: 5106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 7:02:59 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Looking at key positional battles heading towards training camp https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/11/18660455/looking-at-key-positional-battles-heading-towards-training-camp

Funny
Let us know when the article on defense comes out
Post #: 5107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 8:15:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

very funny.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 8:18:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

This is the year that the team does all it can to support Cousins. No excuses though if it doesn't work this year. If it works this season, then it makes sense to extend his contract this time next year. If it doesn't, then the Vikings should do all they can to get the best quarterback they can in the 2020 draft.

Question: With the latest change in Rudolph's contract, where are the Vikings sitting with regard to the salary cap in 2019? I bet it's still tight, but maybe a million or two under.

I believe a little over $5 million under. Some of that will be eaten up when rosters finalize. We are in OK shape for this year now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 10:33:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is a great question.

http://thevikingage.com/2019/06/11/elflein-better-worse-minnesota-vikings-2019/

Post #: 5110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2019 10:35:06 PM   
Pager

Saw the headline as I was walking into an all day conference. My first thought, what are the contract details? Sounds like Kyle did not give any kind of discount. Good on him, I don't fault him. Also sounds like a two year extension? With flexibility after next year? Good on the team.

Vikings going all in on to give Cousins weapons. Im optimistic about the line (last year not so much), think it can be average with the potential to be above average. If that comes to pass, a third weapon steps up (I'm also optimistic almost anyone will be an upgrade over Treadwell), and Cook stays healthy (now the knee is stronger - expect less soft tissue/hammy issues) this offense could surprise people.

5.1M over the cap by my estimation. Need to stay healthy so we can roll some over to next year. Really hoping some of the young guys surprise, like Collins to take the swing tackle spot so Hill can be traded or cut (save 2M). Need health (as always) and youth to impress.

Next year 21M over the cap, add 9 for Rudolph and we are 30 over the cap. Add in extension for Weatherly, Harris (10M) another 3M for draft picks. 10M cap increase means we gotta shave 35M or so. Griff and Reif likely gone. 25M roughly right there. Rhodes/Joseph/Harrison probably looking at restructures/and/or hard choices.

Better win this year.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 12:53:09 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Kyle Rudolph gets a $7.25M signing bonus as part of his new deal, as well as a $1.75M million base salary. His weekly roster bonuses, which can total up to $250K, stay intact from his old deal. Total 2019 cash is $9.25M; cap hit is $3.45M, for cap savings of $4.175M.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings would incur $5.8 million in dead money if they released Rudolph before 2020, so its reasonable to assume he’s on the roster for at least two years of this deal, provided he stays healthy and productive.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 6:24:33 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Saw the headline as I was walking into an all day conference. My first thought, what are the contract details? Sounds like Kyle did not give any kind of discount. Good on him, I don't fault him. Also sounds like a two year extension? With flexibility after next year? Good on the team.

Vikings going all in on to give Cousins weapons. Im optimistic about the line (last year not so much), think it can be average with the potential to be above average. If that comes to pass, a third weapon steps up (I'm also optimistic almost anyone will be an upgrade over Treadwell), and Cook stays healthy (now the knee is stronger - expect less soft tissue/hammy issues) this offense could surprise people.

5.1M over the cap by my estimation. Need to stay healthy so we can roll some over to next year. Really hoping some of the young guys surprise, like Collins to take the swing tackle spot so Hill can be traded or cut (save 2M). Need health (as always) and youth to impress.

Next year 21M over the cap, add 9 for Rudolph and we are 30 over the cap. Add in extension for Weatherly, Harris (10M) another 3M for draft picks. 10M cap increase means we gotta shave 35M or so. Griff and Reif likely gone. 25M roughly right there. Rhodes/Joseph/Harrison probably looking at restructures/and/or hard choices.

Better win this year.

not sure about your 2020 cap projection. over-the-cap has us at -3.3m next year (for the top 51) ... albeit without the rudy extension and projecting the salary cap up at 200m (nobody knows that number at this point).

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 6/12/2019 6:31:22 AM >
Post #: 5113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 6:34:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Hard to dispute these points.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/12/minnesota-vikings-extending-rudolph-right/

Post #: 5114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 8:54:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Better win this year.

Do you mean $5.1 Million under?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 8:59:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

It does make the case for the extension. The case against is the effect on the cap for the next four years and possibly overpaying a bit.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:09:50 AM   
David F.

quote:

No it isn't hard at all. Here's Rudolph's game logs from last season:

San Fran, 1 catch for 11 yards and a TD
@Green Bay, 7 catches for 72 yards (game went through entire overtime period)
Buffalo, 5 catches for 48 yards and a TD
@Rams, 5 catches for 57 yards
@Philly, 5 catches for 41 yards
Arizona, 4 catches for 37 yards
@Jets, 1 catch for 16 yards
Saints, 4 catches for 39 yards
Detroit, 2 catches for 28 yards
@Chi, 2 catches for 13 yards
Green Bay, 7 catches for 63 yards
@Pats, 3 catches for 38 yards
@Sea, 2 catches for 7 yards
Mia, 3 catches for 23 yards
@Det, 9 catches for 122 yards and 2 TDs
Chi, 4 catches for 19 yards

Where did he go from week 4 through week 14 when he averaged 3 catches for 33 yards and scored ZERO TDs? The team went 5-5 during that stretch. I don't see the value. He had one huge outlier game and the rest was pedestrian at best. He was already overpaid for what we get from him and so we decided to extend him and pay him even more. This is one more reason why this franchise has never won a Super Bowl and won't challenge for one this year either.

To be a championship caliber team you have to make the tough but correct decisions.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:20:22 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Where did he go from week 4 through week 14 when he averaged 3 catches for 33 yards and scored ZERO TDs? The team went 5-5 during that stretch. I don't see the value. He had one huge outlier game and the rest was pedestrian at best. He was already overpaid for what we get from him and so we decided to extend him and pay him even more. This is one more reason why this franchise has never won a Super Bowl and won't challenge for one this year either.

To be a championship caliber team you have to make the tough but correct decisions.

Feeble ... the offense as a whole struggled and by several accounts, Rudy had fewer targets during that stretch because he was asked to stay in and block more.

There’s plenty to criticize about Rudolph without making stuff up. His production as it relates to the offense as whole is not one of them.
Post #: 5118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:29:27 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Taking the season as a whole Rudy was good. He has been good for years. Based on other contracts Rudy was worth his 7.625 million for this year.
I agree with you that it seems the Vikings are unwilling to make the tough choices in letting their players move on. The Vikings decided it was worth giving Rudy a slight raise in pay to keep him around for two years and free up cap space for this year. That is an iffy choice. Keeping Barr I think was a flat out bad choice.
If we manage to win a Super Bowl in the next two years I won't care.

DF you can start a new thread. Kyle Rudolph must GO!

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/12/2019 10:35:20 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:30:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

It does make the case for the extension. The case against is the effect on the cap for the next four years and possibly overpaying a bit.

There were two scenerios...he signs an extension or gets traded/cut....they needed to lower his cap number this year just like they did with Griffin....next year it will be someone else.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:34:28 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

There were two scenerios...he signs an extension or gets traded/cut....they needed to lower his cap number this year just like they did with Griffin....next year it will be someone else.

Cutting him was never an option. You don't cut a player you can trade and pick up an asset. An extension like Rudy got was one way to create cap space. Maybe it was our best way.
I don't know.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:47:31 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/05/20/12-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-heading-into-the-2019-season/

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:53:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm looking forward to moving on to other topics now that Rudolph has signed the extension. (or is it extention? )

Post #: 5123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:57:28 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Something to read. Not much to write about.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/12/18662733/looking-at-key-positional-battles-heading-towards-training-camp

Post #: 5124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:58:21 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I am looking forward to next offseason when the Vikings either give Cousins an extension to get some cap relief for next season, or Cousins shows he is a team player and takes a Brady-like cut for the team.

He would have no reason to do any of that. I would love it if he did...but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will even talk about restructure. The Vikings have NO leverage on that one. They can't cut him, the hit to the cap would be massive. They would only be able to trade him and where would that leave us?

I have a feeling they draft a guy next year to replace him and let him walk after the 2020 season freeing up a big chunk of cap space.

But we will see.

The chances of drafting a QB that will be good after one year on the bench are remote. We really need to have Cousins for another 3 or 4 years even if we draft a QB in the first round next year. Then odds are that QB fails and we have to try for another.

We should've drafted him this year. but In any case, I believe we should be drafting a QB nearly every year.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5125
Page:   <<   < prev  203 204 [205] 206 207   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  203 204 [205] 206 207   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode