Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  205 206 [207] 208 209   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 1:49:22 AM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

From the article - this one was tough to read.

Mike Zimmer’s best season as a coach - 2017 - ended ingloriously in a 38-7 blowout in the NFC championship. The Vikings had the best defense in the league, and the Eagles the second-best. But after the Vikings went up 7-0 to open the game, the Eagles adjusted on defense. Meanwhile, on offense, head coach Doug Pederson came up with a game plan that exposed Zimmer’s tendency to crowd the line to gain with defensive backs on 3rd down, among other things. That led to Xavier Rhodes to call out, “We’re getting schemed,” during the game - something apparent to most observers.

After the game- and season- was over, Zimmer admitted:

“I could have made some better calls. Sometimes when you’re sticking with things and it’s been successful for you, you continue to do it and maybe I did it a little bit too long.”

So by sticking with his tendencies, he became predictable and Doug Pederson came up with a game plan to beat them. And when a game plan works, it energizes the team, while the team being ‘schemed,’ as Xavier Rhodes put it, gets demoralized.

Zimmer lost that chess match, and with it perhaps some of the confidence he had earned as a defensive mastermind among his players.

I know it is the time for all things positive, but I think Zimmer is a poor HC. I put him just a touch above Frazier.

Publicly throw your OC under the bus. Complain about not running enough. Duh, you're the head motherfukcer in charge, change it and stop whining. How about continuing to put Treadwell on the field?

I have a difficult time being all in on a HC that repeatedly stated that our identity is run the ball and stop the run. Less than brilliant. Perhaps a bit better than playing for a blocked FG, but they live in the same historic world.

Our HC seems to have issues with his OC's, all of them. Maybe our HC shouldn't be in charge of the entire team. Perhaps he tops out as a very good DC.
Post #: 5151
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 9:07:29 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL
Pretty bad day for Sean Mannion, who threw a pair of picks (Epps and Boyd) and nearly threw another. A lot of PDs, too. Browning had his fair share of incompletions. By virtue of taking about two team reps, Sloter looked the best of the backups.

This makes me happy.

Me too. Mannion is garbage, 27 yo (I think) and has almost no experience. He's junk. I hope it's sending a message to Sloter, who seems to be in the dog house. Rather have Sloter (for good and bad) be the backup and Browning on the practice squad to develop.

My question would be did Sloter actually look good, or was Mannion and Browning just putrid?

I’ve read that they are barely giving any reps to Sloter.

That’s concerning to me, as he’s (Sloter) going to have to start practicing better or he’ll never see meaningful snaps with at least the 2’s in preseason.
  Post #: 5152
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 11:12:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-minicamp-no-2-beebe-wrs-shine-in-red-zone-for-vikings

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5153
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 2:34:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

http://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-minicamp-no-2-beebe-wrs-shine-in-red-zone-for-vikings

last year it was the same thing...nobody could cover beebe....

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Gary Kubiak singled out #Vikings WR Chad Beebe when asked about utilizing a tight end as a No. 3 receiver...

“[Beebe] has had probably as good of offseason as any player that I know on our side of the ball. He’s got a chance to be a really good player for us.”

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5154
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 2:57:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

last year it was the same thing...nobody could cover beebe....

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Gary Kubiak singled out #Vikings WR Chad Beebe when asked about utilizing a tight end as a No. 3 receiver...

“[Beebe] has had probably as good of offseason as any player that I know on our side of the ball. He’s got a chance to be a really good player for us.”

Another undrafted player. It seems that we've had some good luck with late round or undrafted wide receivers and other positions too. Harris was undrafted. Eric Wilson is a good football player and deserves more playing time. Both CJ Ham and Mike Boone were undrafted. We can't forget about Holton Hill. Who else am I forgetting. Hercules? There are definitely others who are trying to break out who were not drafted.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5155
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 3:11:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-vikings-minicamp-practice-kirk-cousins-stefon-diggs

Post #: 5156
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 3:39:50 PM   
marty

Our HC seems to have issues with his OC's, all of them. Maybe our HC shouldn't be in charge of the entire team. Perhaps he tops out as a very good DC.

Zimmer never won a SB as a DC, won several as a DBs coach.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5157
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 3:45:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

With the Patriots winning dozens of Super Bowls (exaggerating a bit) there aren't too many coordinators from other teams who win Super Bowls.

Post #: 5158
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 3:49:07 PM   
marty

While that's true, Zim's defenses in the playoffs haven't been very impressive.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5159
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 6:10:22 PM   
Todd M

It doesn't matter.

One side can look at the negative things that have happened and forecast another year we fall short. The other side can see what we've built and combine that with desire and say it will/can be the year.

The team we'll need to be to finally get that championship won't be decided for quite some time. Talent, scheme, luck, overcoming diversity, will..all these things will play out how they'll play out.

We're along for the ride. Some are better passengers than others.
Post #: 5160
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 7:06:35 PM  2 votes
Ricky J

"With the Patriots winning dozens of Super Bowls" and 31 other teams not winning it either can't we just about criticize every other coach in the NFL as we just did Zimmer the last couple pages?

He got his ass kicked in Philly. Well bfd they have some pretty smart people over there coaching in the NFL, too. You can find a lot of material written by a lot of good writers saying figuring out the NFL head coaching thing can take time. Look at BB - nm. But then a guy comes along like the LA coach and does it real well real fast now if everybody doesn't do it that way, "OMG!"

Zim's earned the right to see this through. Last time I checked we have a pretty good roster still. And yes every Debbie Downer here that thinks he's smarter than everyone else has a right to criticize like they're doing - just as I do as I used up my turn

(Think Rocco's going to slant how they hire MLB mgrs going forward after he wins the WS this year?) ;)

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 6/14/2019 1:35:35 AM >
Post #: 5161
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 8:34:15 PM  1 votes
David F.

We need a 'Puppies and Rainbows' thread where only optimistic and/or apologetic posts go.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5162
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 8:53:20 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

Right! 'Cause if you ain't saying negative shit you don't know shit!
Post #: 5163
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 8:55:39 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Mike Zimmer’s best season as a coach - 2017 - ended ingloriously in a 38-7 blowout in the NFC championship. The Vikings had the best defense in the league, and the Eagles the second-best. But after the Vikings went up 7-0 to open the game, the Eagles adjusted on defense. Meanwhile, on offense, head coach Doug Pederson came up with a game plan that exposed Zimmer’s tendency to crowd the line to gain with defensive backs on 3rd down, among other things. That led to Xavier Rhodes to call out, “We’re getting schemed,” during the game - something apparent to most observers.

“I could have made some better calls. Sometimes when you’re sticking with things and it’s been successful for you, you continue to do it and maybe I did it a little bit too long.”

So by sticking with his tendencies, he became predictable and Doug Pederson came up with a game plan to beat them. And when a game plan works, it energizes the team, while the team being ‘schemed,’ as Xavier Rhodes put it, gets demoralized.

Zimmer lost that chess match, and with it perhaps some of the confidence he had earned as a defensive mastermind among his players.

I know it is the time for all things positive, but I think Zimmer is a poor HC. I put him just a touch above Frazier.

Publicly throw your OC under the bus. Complain about not running enough. Duh, you're the head motherfukcer in charge, change it and stop whining. How about continuing to put Treadwell on the field?

I have a difficult time being all in on a HC that repeatedly stated that our identity is run the ball and stop the run. Less than brilliant. Perhaps a bit better than playing for a blocked FG, but they live in the same historic world.

47-32-1 vs 21-32-1 not seeing that as close as you do.

I participated in the Mike Zimmer Golf Classic for his foundation- Shurmur was at the pre golf Par-TEE at TCO, unsure about the golf tournament. Was recognized by Zimmer warmly- FYI.

As for Flip his offense was shut out for 3.5 quarters, until a meaningless TD was scored, ... by Leslie Frazier's defense. Considering Zimmer let Flip go - where does that put Flip on your hierarchy of coaches?

Then there is Belichick who speaks highly of Zimmer as a head coach.

< Message edited by Jason Dorn -- 6/13/2019 8:59:38 PM >

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 5164
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 8:59:24 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

I participated in the Mike Zimmer Golf Classic for his foundation- Shurmur was at the pre golf Par-TEE at TCO, unsure about the golf tournament. Was recognized by Zimmer warmly- FYI.

As for Flip his offense was shut out for 3.5 quarters until a meaningless TD was scored by Leslie Frazier's defense. Considering Zimmer let Flip go - where does that put Flip on your hierarchy of coaches?

Get it over to the Puppies and Rainbow thread, Dorn!
Post #: 5165
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 9:00:40 PM  1 votes
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

As for Flip his offense was shut out for 3.5 quarters until a meaningless TD was scored by Leslie Frazier's defense. Considering Zimmer let Flip go - where does that put Flip on your hierarchy of coaches?

If that is where the fans who believe we can win the Super Bowl are ... then that is where I want to be!

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 5166
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 9:21:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Exactly. Maybe open one ‘blinders’ thread for both the purple koolaid AND pouty whiner crowds. Everyone in between can just hang out here.
Post #: 5167
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 10:14:20 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Exactly. Maybe open one ‘blinders’ thread for both the purple koolaid AND pouty whiner crowds. Everyone in between can just hang out here.

Oil and water. How is that different from this thread?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5168
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 11:42:21 PM  1 votes
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If that is where the fans who believe we can win the Super Bowl are ... then that is where I want to be!

I’m in bro..

If you invite David F. Please let me know so I can where my waders when he starts pissing on our leg and tells us it’s raining..😉
  Post #: 5169
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 12:04:12 AM   
Well hell let’s have the next meeting of the “Puppies and Rainbow” council meeting at world famous Manny’s steakhouse (Highly overrated).

Dinner with Dorn and Ricky is definitely a positive event...
  Post #: 5170
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:13:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

According to PFF Vikings on Twitter Kris Boyd had a 74.2 rating as a pass defender, but was an elite run defender with a rating of 90.1. They also say he is turning heads at mini-camp. He may have been a steal in the 7th round. It seems that the college draft was pretty deep this year and a lot of good players dropped or even went un-drafted.

Post #: 5171
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:19:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

We’ll be talking about the No. 3 receiver battle til we’re blue in the face, so realize all observations are just that until stuff matters. That said, UDFA rookie Davion Davis made a couple of nice grabs on the final day of minicamp. Mannion had a passed tipped & Davis caught it.

(Courtney Cronin on Twitter)

He's my guy. I'm rooting for Davis.

Post #: 5172
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:20:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/28525/vikings-decision-to-extend-kyle-rudolph-reflects-all-in-mentality

Post #: 5173
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:43:47 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Well hell let’s have the next meeting of the “Puppies and Rainbow” council meeting at world famous Manny’s steakhouse (Highly overrated).

Dinner with Dorn and Ricky is definitely a positive event...

As with you, buddy! It's been way too long.
Post #: 5174
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 5:42:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

It doesn't matter.

One side can look at the negative things that have happened and forecast another year we fall short. The other side can see what we've built and combine that with desire and say it will/can be the year.

The team we'll need to be to finally get that championship won't be decided for quite some time. Talent, scheme, luck, overcoming diversity, will..all these things will play out how they'll play out.

We're along for the ride. Some are better passengers than others.

I think you meant adversity unless that was a Freudian slip.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5175
Page:   <<   < prev  205 206 [207] 208 209   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  205 206 [207] 208 209   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode