Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  204 205 [206] 207 208   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:07:29 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Hard to dispute these points.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/12/minnesota-vikings-extending-rudolph-right/

No it isn't hard at all. Here's Rudolph's game logs from last season:

San Fran, 1 catch for 11 yards and a TD
@Green Bay, 7 catches for 72 yards (game went through entire overtime period)
Buffalo, 5 catches for 48 yards and a TD
@Rams, 5 catches for 57 yards
@Philly, 5 catches for 41 yards
Arizona, 4 catches for 37 yards
@Jets, 1 catch for 16 yards
Saints, 4 catches for 39 yards
Detroit, 2 catches for 28 yards
@Chi, 2 catches for 13 yards
Green Bay, 7 catches for 63 yards
@Pats, 3 catches for 38 yards
@Sea, 2 catches for 7 yards
Mia, 3 catches for 23 yards
@Det, 9 catches for 122 yards and 2 TDs
Chi, 4 catches for 19 yards

Where did he go from week 4 through week 14 when he averaged 3 catches for 33 yards and scored ZERO TDs? The team went 5-5 during that stretch. I don't see the value. He had one huge outlier game and the rest was pedestrian at best. He was already overpaid for what we get from him and so we decided to extend him and pay him even more. This is one more reason why this franchise has never won a Super Bowl and won't challenge for one this year either.

To be a championship caliber team you have to make the tough but correct decisions.

Taking the season as a whole Rudy was good. He has been good for years. Based on other contracts Rudy was worth his 7.625 million for this year.
I agree with you that it seems the Vikings are unwilling to make the tough choices in letting their players move on. The Vikings decided it was worth giving Rudy a slight raise in pay to keep him around for two years and free up cap space for this year. That is an iffy choice. Keeping Barr I think was a flat out bad choice.
If we manage to win a Super Bowl in the next two years I won't care.

DF you can start a new thread. Kyle Rudolph must GO!

If we win a Super Bowl in the next two years... I'll have Kyle Rudolph's baby.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:08:24 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/05/20/12-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-heading-into-the-2019-season/

Another mediocre season and Zimmer should worry. Spielman as well. Results matter.
Post #: 5127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:08:54 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I am looking forward to next offseason when the Vikings either give Cousins an extension to get some cap relief for next season, or Cousins shows he is a team player and takes a Brady-like cut for the team.

He would have no reason to do any of that. I would love it if he did...but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will even talk about restructure. The Vikings have NO leverage on that one. They can't cut him, the hit to the cap would be massive. They would only be able to trade him and where would that leave us?

I have a feeling they draft a guy next year to replace him and let him walk after the 2020 season freeing up a big chunk of cap space.

But we will see.

The chances of drafting a QB that will be good after one year on the bench are remote. We really need to have Cousins for another 3 or 4 years even if we draft a QB in the first round next year. Then odds are that QB fails and we have to try for another.

We should've drafted him this year. but In any case, I believe we should be drafting a QB nearly every year.

Do you have a QB in mind that we should have drafted? We could have taken Lock, but then the OL would have remained horrible. if we used our second rounder on a QB that costs us Irv Smith 3rd Round Mattison 4th Samia. After that was their any QB that had any chance to be a player. I like the guy the Patriots drafted Jarett Stidham from Auburn. We could have had him by giving up our fifth round pick and maybe one of our 6th round picks to move up.
I think he has a chance to be a starting QB in the NFL.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:10:49 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Hard to dispute these points.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/12/minnesota-vikings-extending-rudolph-right/

No it isn't hard at all. Here's Rudolph's game logs from last season:

San Fran, 1 catch for 11 yards and a TD
@Green Bay, 7 catches for 72 yards (game went through entire overtime period)
Buffalo, 5 catches for 48 yards and a TD
@Rams, 5 catches for 57 yards
@Philly, 5 catches for 41 yards
Arizona, 4 catches for 37 yards
@Jets, 1 catch for 16 yards
Saints, 4 catches for 39 yards
Detroit, 2 catches for 28 yards
@Chi, 2 catches for 13 yards
Green Bay, 7 catches for 63 yards
@Pats, 3 catches for 38 yards
@Sea, 2 catches for 7 yards
Mia, 3 catches for 23 yards
@Det, 9 catches for 122 yards and 2 TDs
Chi, 4 catches for 19 yards

Where did he go from week 4 through week 14 when he averaged 3 catches for 33 yards and scored ZERO TDs? The team went 5-5 during that stretch. I don't see the value. He had one huge outlier game and the rest was pedestrian at best. He was already overpaid for what we get from him and so we decided to extend him and pay him even more. This is one more reason why this franchise has never won a Super Bowl and won't challenge for one this year either.

To be a championship caliber team you have to make the tough but correct decisions.

Taking the season as a whole Rudy was good. He has been good for years. Based on other contracts Rudy was worth his 7.625 million for this year.
I agree with you that it seems the Vikings are unwilling to make the tough choices in letting their players move on. The Vikings decided it was worth giving Rudy a slight raise in pay to keep him around for two years and free up cap space for this year. That is an iffy choice. Keeping Barr I think was a flat out bad choice.
If we manage to win a Super Bowl in the next two years I won't care.

DF you can start a new thread. Kyle Rudolph must GO!

You just gave me a couple horrible visuals and are talking about denying the laws of science.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:24:50 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/05/20/12-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-heading-into-the-2019-season/

Another mediocre season and Zimmer should worry. Spielman as well. Results matter.

Putting Chucky on the list is a bit premature. Doesn't he have a 10 year contract?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:28:37 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

Putting Chucky on the list is a bit premature. Doesn't he have a 10 year contract?

Him and Mayock are tied at the hip and Chucky has a long contract as you have indicated. They are in the middle of a rebuilding project. Chucky is not going anywhere. Mayock is likely staying too.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:33:16 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am looking forward to next offseason when the Vikings either give Cousins an extension to get some cap relief for next season, or Cousins shows he is a team player and takes a Brady-like cut for the team.

He would have no reason to do any of that. I would love it if he did...but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will even talk about restructure. The Vikings have NO leverage on that one. They can't cut him, the hit to the cap would be massive. They would only be able to trade him and where would that leave us?

I have a feeling they draft a guy next year to replace him and let him walk after the 2020 season freeing up a big chunk of cap space.

But we will see.

The chances of drafting a QB that will be good after one year on the bench are remote. We really need to have Cousins for another 3 or 4 years even if we draft a QB in the first round next year. Then odds are that QB fails and we have to try for another.

We should've drafted him this year. but In any case, I believe we should be drafting a QB nearly every year.

Do you have a QB in mind that we should have drafted? We could have taken Lock, but then the OL would have remained horrible. if we used our second rounder on a QB that costs us Irv Smith 3rd Round Mattison 4th Samia. After that was their any QB that had any chance to be a player. I like the guy the Patriots drafted Jarett Stidham from Auburn. We could have had him by giving up our fifth round pick and maybe one of our 6th round picks to move up.

No. It's just a general feeling of mine, that the most important position on the field should get some attention every year and not just UNFA practice squad fodder. Cousins is signed through next year. Either he works out and we extend him for some ridiculous sum, or we move on and need another QB. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to have that QB on the roster. I'm not sure Sloter is the answer. I hope he grabs the backup job with both hands in an iron grip this year but if he doesn't then I believe he really has no future and unless the UDFA or Manion surprises the **** out of me, we are going to need a better QB to replace Cousins possibly as soon as 2021 and it would be better if that replacement were already on the roster.

Going the FA route will be expensive and Cap challenging to say the least. So I would prefer we go about finding the next Mahomes. But I don't know who that might be.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 11:42:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But we will see.

No. It's just a general feeling of mine, that the most important position on the field should get some attention every year and not just UNFA practice squad fodder. Cousins is signed through next year. Either he works out and we extend him for some ridiculous sum, or we move on and need another QB. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to have that QB on the roster. I'm not sure Sloter is the answer. I hope he grabs the backup job with both hands in an iron grip this year but if he doesn't then I believe he really has no future and unless the UDFA or Manion surprises the **** out of me, we are going to need a better QB to replace Cousins possibly as soon as 2021 and it would be better if that replacement were already on the roster.

Going the FA route will be expensive and Cap challenging to say the least. So I would prefer we go about finding the next Mahomes. But I don't know who that might be.

I think that would be a prudent move. However, both coach and gm are on hot seat and are not looking long term at all. Looks like it's SB or bust the next 2 seasons. If they show something (Coach/gm) both get a long term ext and will be more future conscious. If we fall on our face the rebuild begins 2021 with new leadership at the helm.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 12:06:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But we will see.

I think that would be a prudent move. However, both coach and gm are on hot seat and are not looking long term at all. Looks like it's SB or bust the next 2 seasons. If they show something (Coach/gm) both get a long term ext and will be more future conscious. If we fall on our face the rebuild begins 2021 with new leadership at the helm.

I'm expecting a Cousins extension. Hopefully Sloter could fill in in a pinch. I haven't been hearing any good reports on Browning.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 12:42:50 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL
Pretty bad day for Sean Mannion, who threw a pair of picks (Epps and Boyd) and nearly threw another. A lot of PDs, too. Browning had his fair share of incompletions. By virtue of taking about two team reps, Sloter looked the best of the backups.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 1:18:04 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Saw the headline as I was walking into an all day conference. My first thought, what are the contract details? Sounds like Kyle did not give any kind of discount. Good on him, I don't fault him. Also sounds like a two year extension? With flexibility after next year? Good on the team.

Vikings going all in on to give Cousins weapons. Im optimistic about the line (last year not so much), think it can be average with the potential to be above average. If that comes to pass, a third weapon steps up (I'm also optimistic almost anyone will be an upgrade over Treadwell), and Cook stays healthy (now the knee is stronger - expect less soft tissue/hammy issues) this offense could surprise people.

5.1M over the cap by my estimation. Need to stay healthy so we can roll some over to next year. Really hoping some of the young guys surprise, like Collins to take the swing tackle spot so Hill can be traded or cut (save 2M). Need health (as always) and youth to impress.

Next year 21M over the cap, add 9 for Rudolph and we are 30 over the cap. Add in extension for Weatherly, Harris (10M) another 3M for draft picks. 10M cap increase means we gotta shave 35M or so. Griff and Reif likely gone. 25M roughly right there. Rhodes/Joseph/Harrison probably looking at restructures/and/or hard choices.

Better win this year.

not sure about your 2020 cap projection. over-the-cap has us at -3.3m next year (for the top 51) ... albeit without the rudy extension and projecting the salary cap up at 200m (nobody knows that number at this point).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

Has us 21M over.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2020/

Nothing jumps out to make me believe it's not accurate? If I have the energy, I might have to compare sites/contracts.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 1:39:49 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL
Pretty bad day for Sean Mannion, who threw a pair of picks (Epps and Boyd) and nearly threw another. A lot of PDs, too. Browning had his fair share of incompletions. By virtue of taking about two team reps, Sloter looked the best of the backups.

This makes me happy.
Post #: 5137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 1:46:03 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL

This makes me happy.

Me too. Mannion is garbage, 27 yo (I think) and has almost no experience. He's junk. I hope it's sending a message to Sloter, who seems to be in the dog house. Rather have Sloter (for good and bad) be the backup and Browning on the practice squad to develop.

Post #: 5138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 1:46:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

#Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski said second-year WR Chad Beebe "is making a name for himself" with the plays he showed as a rookie and this spring. "I will give the kid credit, he comes out here and he works." Beebe has been given looks as the No. 3 receiver and punt returner.

(Andrew Krammer on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 2:02:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://purpleptsd.com/vikings-minicamp-day-1-can-you-diggs-it/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 3:40:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Saw the headline as I was walking into an all day conference. My first thought, what are the contract details? Sounds like Kyle did not give any kind of discount. Good on him, I don't fault him. Also sounds like a two year extension? With flexibility after next year? Good on the team.

Vikings going all in on to give Cousins weapons. Im optimistic about the line (last year not so much), think it can be average with the potential to be above average. If that comes to pass, a third weapon steps up (I'm also optimistic almost anyone will be an upgrade over Treadwell), and Cook stays healthy (now the knee is stronger - expect less soft tissue/hammy issues) this offense could surprise people.

5.1M over the cap by my estimation. Need to stay healthy so we can roll some over to next year. Really hoping some of the young guys surprise, like Collins to take the swing tackle spot so Hill can be traded or cut (save 2M). Need health (as always) and youth to impress.

Next year 21M over the cap, add 9 for Rudolph and we are 30 over the cap. Add in extension for Weatherly, Harris (10M) another 3M for draft picks. 10M cap increase means we gotta shave 35M or so. Griff and Reif likely gone. 25M roughly right there. Rhodes/Joseph/Harrison probably looking at restructures/and/or hard choices.

Better win this year.

not sure about your 2020 cap projection. over-the-cap has us at -3.3m next year (for the top 51) ... albeit without the rudy extension and projecting the salary cap up at 200m (nobody knows that number at this point).

Has us 21M over.

Nothing jumps out to make me believe it's not accurate? If I have the energy, I might have to compare sites/contracts.

Sportrac just gives a total cap liability number. Not the actual cap number which is only the top 51 contracts.

For instance, our total cap liability number this yesr is about 22M over the cap (just like next year) ... but our actual cap number was below 2M pre-rudy extension. I believe now we are 4.5-5 under (post-rudy).

Over-the-cap breaks it down better. I think.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 6/12/2019 3:43:26 PM >
Post #: 5141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 4:57:29 PM   
Ricky J

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 6/12/2019 5:09:59 PM >
Post #: 5142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 5:09:15 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Ain't no way that baby is looking pretty
Post #: 5143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 5:29:14 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Better win this year.

Has us 21M over.

Sportrac just gives a total cap liability number. Not the actual cap number which is only the top 51 contracts.

For instance, our total cap liability number this yesr is about 22M over the cap (just like next year) ... but our actual cap number was below 2M pre-rudy extension. I believe now we are 4.5-5 under (post-rudy).

Over-the-cap breaks it down better. I think.

Spotrac breaks it down in current year, top 51 and All under contract. We'll have to subtract another 800k or so once the full 53 is counted pls any injuries.

After a quick look, I think you are right. All under contract for this year and we are 18M over, which roughly equates to 40 guys at minimum contract. If they are counting that for 2020, that would equate to the difference between overthecap and spotrac.

Makes me feel much better about the cap for next year.

Post #: 5144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 6:53:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Interesting to read an article that is critical of a couple of veteran players. Also, interesting to not the experimenting of defensive schemes.

https://purpleptsd.com/vikings-minicamp-day-2-rhodes-repair/

Post #: 5145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 7:00:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings are one of the youngest teams in the league. As they battle the salary cap, the trend may continue. The position group where they are the oldest is special teams, which I think you can throw out as irrelevant.

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2019/06/a-closer-look-how-young-is-vikings.html

Post #: 5146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 7:07:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I enjoyed this short clip. Beebe looks like he will fake defenders out of their socks. There's a Blasingame sighting who I want to pay attention to. (an athletic fullback) There are catches also by Mitchell and Davis, whom I'm very interested in following.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1138955324189073409

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/12/2019 7:14:14 PM >

Post #: 5147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 8:34:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ain't no way that baby is looking pretty

Double negative much?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/12/2019 10:14:18 PM   
Pager

Didn't see this posted. Pretty accurate article IMO.

Agree with Kubiak marriage. And that Zimmer gets outschemed.

EDIT:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/11/18630277/mike-zimmer-can-he-put-it-all-together-minnesota-vikings

< Message edited by Pager -- 6/12/2019 10:35:03 PM >

Post #: 5149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/13/2019 12:09:25 AM   
David F.

From the article - this one was tough to read.

Mike Zimmer’s best season as a coach - 2017 - ended ingloriously in a 38-7 blowout in the NFC championship. The Vikings had the best defense in the league, and the Eagles the second-best. But after the Vikings went up 7-0 to open the game, the Eagles adjusted on defense. Meanwhile, on offense, head coach Doug Pederson came up with a game plan that exposed Zimmer’s tendency to crowd the line to gain with defensive backs on 3rd down, among other things. That led to Xavier Rhodes to call out, “We’re getting schemed,” during the game - something apparent to most observers.

After the game- and season- was over, Zimmer admitted:

“I could have made some better calls. Sometimes when you’re sticking with things and it’s been successful for you, you continue to do it and maybe I did it a little bit too long.”

So by sticking with his tendencies, he became predictable and Doug Pederson came up with a game plan to beat them. And when a game plan works, it energizes the team, while the team being ‘schemed,’ as Xavier Rhodes put it, gets demoralized.

Zimmer lost that chess match, and with it perhaps some of the confidence he had earned as a defensive mastermind among his players.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5150
Page:   <<   < prev  204 205 [206] 207 208   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  204 205 [206] 207 208   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode