Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  208 209 [210] 211 212   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 5:13:50 PM   
Jason Dorn

Carlson missed a 35 and Walsh a 27 yarder to win games that is not mechanics that is choking. Seriously come on I get folks hate Preifer but missing game winners costs coaches their jobs as well. Patience is easier with less expectations. Love to hear your takes if they stuck with Carlson and he missed a game winner to get into the playoffs or the playoffs. Same damn thing as you do now second guess and blame the current or former staff. Guess poor Carlson did nothing but get beat up by a couple of old school insensitive boobs.

Good for Carlson hope he has lots of success. It was a lot to invest. Walsh had proven something as a rookie. Carlson missed 3FGs in GB two by at least fifty feet prior to the missed 35 yarder. Went with a veteran after that. Sometimes a change of scenery makes the difference. At the time the Vikings had Super Bowl expectations.

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 5226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 5:37:15 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

Good for Carlson hope he has lots of success.

Boy so do I. I often find myself thinking; man I hope that kicker we had for 5 minutes before he choked his way off the team has lots of success.
Post #: 5227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 5:38:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

Carlson missed a 35 and Walsh a 27 yarder to win games that is not mechanics that is choking. Seriously come on I get folks hate Preifer but missing game winners costs coaches their jobs as well. Patience is easier with less expectations. Love to hear your takes if they stuck with Carlson and he missed a game winner to get into the playoffs or the playoffs. Same damn thing as you do now second guess and blame the current or former staff. Guess poor Carlson did nothing but get beat up by a couple of old school insensitive boobs.

Good for Carlson hope he has lots of success. It was a lot to invest. Walsh had proven something as a rookie. Carlson missed 3FGs in GB two by at least fifty feet prior to the missed 35 yarder. Went with a veteran after that. Sometimes a change of scenery makes the difference. At the time the Vikings had Super Bowl expectations.

It was more than one clutch 35 yarder. It was 1-4 in his first two nfl games (0-2 to win). It was also what was going on in practice behind the scenes with a lack of confidence in his technique, presumably.
Post #: 5228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 5:41:40 PM   
Tom Sykes

Also Jason ... next time you come away smiling from an old school neanderthal boob beatdown ... be sure to let us know.
Post #: 5229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 6:37:37 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Boy so do I. I often find myself thinking; man I hope that kicker we had for 5 minutes before he choked his way off the team has lots of success.

Fair enough. Political way of putting it. Give Carlson credit for turning it around. He can save all his misses for against the Vikings ... better?

Post #: 5230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 6:48:58 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Fair enough. Political way of putting it. Give Carlson credit for turning it around. He can save all his misses for against the Vikings ... better?

Yes.
Post #: 5231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 6:51:09 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Until proven otherwise, the failure of Carlson had nothing to do with Zimmer, and everything to do with the @$$hole that used to be the Vikings' special team's coach, Mike Priefer.

It was obviously Zimmer scaring the $hit out of him. Priefer may or may not have messed up Kickers, but he didn't scare them like Zimmer.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 6:57:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Until proven otherwise, the failure of Carlson had nothing to do with Zimmer, and everything to do with the @$$hole that used to be the Vikings' special team's coach, Mike Priefer.

It was obviously Zimmer scaring the $hit out of him. Priefer may or may not have messed up Kickers, but he didn't scare them like Zimmer.

What unassailable line of logic led you to this irrefutable conclusion?
Post #: 5233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 7:12:13 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Also Jason ... next time you come away smiling from an old school neanderthal boob beatdown ... be sure to let us know.

You put out the old school neanderthal comment. My comment was sarcastic and speculative. Am sure Zimmer was not thrilled after the GB game. Have no idea how it was handled. If you are stating he got yelled at or sternly talked to - ought to expect it, suppose that is an old school approach that just does not fly with the younger generations. As a Gen X'er I'm gonna lean towards the production was unacceptable and there was no "beat down". Only a hey coach wants to see you in his office and they talked or maybe Zimmer went batshit nutzo and fired him in front of everyone. Either way I wish Carlson nothing but success- for you Todd cuz I care.

Huge expectations going in. Went out and paid premium dollar at the time for a QB- could have just drafted one or stayed status quo. Maybe the head coach was not letting the season ride on the fortunes of a rookie K who was 1/4 out of the gate costing the team the game.

Preifer is no longer - wish him nothing but success - Ha for you Todd again for emphasis. The kicking game was lacking. No recall on any blocked kicks. A blocked punt cost us 7 points in GB as well, could have canned Preifer right there. I agree with David as the Vikes lucked out he left - it had gotten stale. Still missing a 35 yarder is not on any coach unless the kick was blocked and the personnel was over matched or there is a flaw picked up on film. Carlson kicked a 35 yarder like a 60 yarder. Walsh never recovered from the shank. I like it the idea of a kicking coach- someone who understand what it is like. Lonely job.

It is all history now. Bailey is the K. M Maalouf is the ST Coordinator.

Post #: 5234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 7:36:03 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

You put out the old school neanderthal comment. My comment was sarcastic and speculative. Am sure Zimmer was not thrilled after the GB game. Have no idea how it was handled. If you are stating he got yelled at or sternly talked to - ought to expect it, suppose that is an old school approach that just does not fly with the younger generations. As a Gen X'er I'm gonna lean towards the production was unacceptable and there was no "beat down". Only a hey coach wants to see you in his office and they talked or maybe Zimmer went batshit nutzo and fired him in front of everyone. Either way I wish Carlson nothing but success- for you Todd cuz I care.

Huge expectations going in. Went out and paid premium dollar at the time for a QB- could have just drafted one or stayed status quo. Maybe the head coach was not letting the season ride on the fortunes of a rookie K who was 1/4 out of the gate costing the team the game.

Preifer is no longer - wish him nothing but success - Ha for you Todd again for emphasis. The kicking game was lacking. No recall on any blocked kicks. A blocked punt cost us 7 points in GB as well, could have canned Preifer right there. I agree with David as the Vikes lucked out he left - it had gotten stale. Still missing a 35 yarder is not on any coach unless the kick was blocked and the personnel was over matched or there is a flaw picked up on film. Carlson kicked a 35 yarder like a 60 yarder. Walsh never recovered from the shank. I like it the idea of a kicking coach- someone who understand what it is like. Lonely job.

My comment was completely in jest.
Post #: 5235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 7:46:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

The look on his face and in his eyes. He was scared to death to come in to kick those FGs. If you couldn't see that you were blind.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 7:57:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The look on his face and in his eyes. He was scared to death to come in to kick those FGs. If you couldn't see that you were blind.

I had a scared look on my face once, was I afraid of Zimmer too??
Post #: 5237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 8:17:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I had a scared look on my face once, was I afraid of Zimmer too??

You are simply not a judge of human character if you don't see this one. I can't scientifically back it up and I never claimed I could. Honestly I'm not totally serious. I saw it and some others did too and commented about it. However, you can't know that for sure right. Just a vibe.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/14/2019 9:35:39 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 8:36:06 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Missed that completely Tom thought you were serious ... pardon me.

Post #: 5239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 9:38:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Missed that completely Tom thought you were serious ... pardon me.

You only missed it because I edited out the "pair" of old school neanderthal boobs. Changes the meaning completely.

I'll do better next time.
Post #: 5240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 11:30:18 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

From the article - this one was tough to read.

Mike Zimmer’s best season as a coach - 2017 - ended ingloriously in a 38-7 blowout in the NFC championship. The Vikings had the best defense in the league, and the Eagles the second-best. But after the Vikings went up 7-0 to open the game, the Eagles adjusted on defense. Meanwhile, on offense, head coach Doug Pederson came up with a game plan that exposed Zimmer’s tendency to crowd the line to gain with defensive backs on 3rd down, among other things. That led to Xavier Rhodes to call out, “We’re getting schemed,” during the game - something apparent to most observers.

After the game- and season- was over, Zimmer admitted:

“I could have made some better calls. Sometimes when you’re sticking with things and it’s been successful for you, you continue to do it and maybe I did it a little bit too long.”

So by sticking with his tendencies, he became predictable and Doug Pederson came up with a game plan to beat them. And when a game plan works, it energizes the team, while the team being ‘schemed,’ as Xavier Rhodes put it, gets demoralized.

Zimmer lost that chess match, and with it perhaps some of the confidence he had earned as a defensive mastermind among his players.

I know it is the time for all things positive, but I think Zimmer is a poor HC. I put him just a touch above Frazier.

Publicly throw your OC under the bus. Complain about not running enough. Duh, you're the head motherfukcer in charge, change it and stop whining. How about continuing to put Treadwell on the field?

I have a difficult time being all in on a HC that repeatedly stated that our identity is run the ball and stop the run. Less than brilliant. Perhaps a bit better than playing for a blocked FG, but they live in the same historic world.

Our HC seems to have issues with his OC's, all of them. Maybe our HC shouldn't be in charge of the entire team. Perhaps he tops out as a very good DC.

47-32-1 vs 21-32-1 not seeing that as close as you do.

That's your sole criteria for evaluating a HC? If so, you must absolutely love Mike McCarthy.

I participated in the Mike Zimmer Golf Classic for his foundation- Shurmur was at the pre golf Par-TEE at TCO, unsure about the golf tournament. Was recognized by Zimmer warmly- FYI.

I have no idea why you think Zimmer's personal relationships are relevant.

As for Flip his offense was shut out for 3.5 quarters, until a meaningless TD was scored, ... by Leslie Frazier's defense. Considering Zimmer let Flip go - where does that put Flip on your hierarchy of coaches?

I personally think it is quite likely that DeFilippo is/will be a very good offensive coordinator.
Zimmer has had 4 OC's in 5 seasons as a head coach. Two of the OC's were terminated mid-season. Has that ever happened before?

You really think DeFilippo was the only problem in that game?

Then there is Belichick who speaks highly of Zimmer as a head coach.

The same Belichick who publicly spoke highly of Ryan Tannehill? Come on, that's really something you're going to use?

Week 15, 2016 at home against the Colts, fighting for a playoff spot, revealed a lot about Zimmer as a HC. Down 27 in the 3rd quarter.....we kicked a 32 yard field goal. Down 31 in the 4th quarter, we kicked another field goal.

We ran the ball 9 times in that game.
Post #: 5241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 11:54:51 PM   
Bruce Johnson

No new ground in this article. I imagine there are glowing articles like this written on each team. Still, it's nice to be positive about what we have.

https://www.vikings.com/news/top-10-takeaways-from-vikings-offseason-program

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 4:30:22 AM  1 votes
Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

From the article - this one was tough to read.

Mike Zimmer’s best season as a coach - 2017 - ended ingloriously in a 38-7 blowout in the NFC championship. The Vikings had the best defense in the league, and the Eagles the second-best. But after the Vikings went up 7-0 to open the game, the Eagles adjusted on defense. Meanwhile, on offense, head coach Doug Pederson came up with a game plan that exposed Zimmer’s tendency to crowd the line to gain with defensive backs on 3rd down, among other things. That led to Xavier Rhodes to call out, “We’re getting schemed,” during the game - something apparent to most observers.

After the game- and season- was over, Zimmer admitted:

“I could have made some better calls. Sometimes when you’re sticking with things and it’s been successful for you, you continue to do it and maybe I did it a little bit too long.”

So by sticking with his tendencies, he became predictable and Doug Pederson came up with a game plan to beat them. And when a game plan works, it energizes the team, while the team being ‘schemed,’ as Xavier Rhodes put it, gets demoralized.

Zimmer lost that chess match, and with it perhaps some of the confidence he had earned as a defensive mastermind among his players.

I know it is the time for all things positive, but I think Zimmer is a poor HC. I put him just a touch above Frazier.

Publicly throw your OC under the bus. Complain about not running enough. Duh, you're the head motherfukcer in charge, change it and stop whining. How about continuing to put Treadwell on the field?

I have a difficult time being all in on a HC that repeatedly stated that our identity is run the ball and stop the run. Less than brilliant. Perhaps a bit better than playing for a blocked FG, but they live in the same historic world.

Our HC seems to have issues with his OC's, all of them. Maybe our HC shouldn't be in charge of the entire team. Perhaps he tops out as a very good DC.

47-32-1 vs 21-32-1 not seeing that as close as you do.

That's your sole criteria for evaluating a HC? If so, you must absolutely love Mike McCarthy.

I participated in the Mike Zimmer Golf Classic for his foundation- Shurmur was at the pre golf Par-TEE at TCO, unsure about the golf tournament. Was recognized by Zimmer warmly- FYI.

I have no idea why you think Zimmer's personal relationships are relevant.

As for Flip his offense was shut out for 3.5 quarters, until a meaningless TD was scored, ... by Leslie Frazier's defense. Considering Zimmer let Flip go - where does that put Flip on your hierarchy of coaches?

I personally think it is quite likely that DeFilippo is/will be a very good offensive coordinator.
Zimmer has had 4 OC's in 5 seasons as a head coach. Two of the OC's were terminated mid-season. Has that ever happened before?

You really think DeFilippo was the only problem in that game?

Then there is Belichick who speaks highly of Zimmer as a head coach.

The same Belichick who publicly spoke highly of Ryan Tannehill? Come on, that's really something you're going to use?

Week 15, 2016 at home against the Colts, fighting for a playoff spot, revealed a lot about Zimmer as a HC. Down 27 in the 3rd quarter.....we kicked a 32 yard field goal. Down 31 in the 4th quarter, we kicked another field goal.

We ran the ball 9 times in that game.

You made the statement about L Frazier. W/L are how coaches are evaluated and you know that. If Zimmer had a 500 record he would be gone. If Zimmer lost the team like Childress he would be gone. Still the record is a tangible comparison disputing your claim and attempt to discredit Coach Zimmer.

McCarthy won a SB and dominated the division for years, it went stale but that was quite a run. Just wow on that example - give Zimmer A Rodgers and what is his record- oh wait that is not important. McCarthy and the Packers never got the defense right - he is an offensive guy. I digress he won a SB but in your opinion it was probably despite him. Too bad Flip chose Minnesota had he stayed in Philly he might be in GB.

What are you an authority- I'm taking Belichick's opinion over yours 100% of the time.

Turner resigned be accurate. Shurmur was hired as a head coach. Only Flip was canned. Stefanski took over. Funny the one guy who produced for him landed a head coaching job. Turner just was OC of a flopped season in Carolina. Go Stefanski- actually hopeful he is the next in line to take over for Coach Zimmer when he retires after winning multiple SBs. I know in your opinion that is never going to happen because he is not a head coach and at best a DC.

Buffalo- scoring zero points is a problem. I was retorting your claim regarding Frazier and Zimmer. The fact is L Fraziers defense shut out Flip's offense- there is no dispute it is a fact unless you count meaningless TDs at the end- but Zimmer learned he did not kick a FG. Happened in Seattle as well- zero points when it counted. In Chicago the offense was setup twice by the defense with turnovers in the second half inside the 30 - result two FGs. 10 points against NE. 3 second half points against NO with another pick 6. Maybe Flip turns out to be a very good OC or head coach - maybe not time will tell. Thus far his track record indicates not so much. Zimmer produced as DC and earned his opportunity- Flip will need to do the same simple as that.

The defense went backwards last year to tenth overall in scoring from first. Two years that Zimmer has finished 500 the run game finished 30th/31st. Maybe you don't like it but that's the way its going to be. It is not about being a running team its about being a balanced team. Defense struggled stopping the run too but not to the degree the offense did. Both years injury and lack of depth on OL played a big part.

Nobody has 100% knowledge of why Flip was let go. Zimmer I guess stopped whining about running the ball and as the "man in charge" (sparing the vulgarity- have some control) made the decision to let Flip go. Maybe it was a poor working relationship that lacked respect for one another- guess who is going to win that power struggle.

I get it you don't respect Mike Zimmer. So be it. Sure Flip does not either. So be it. The Viking organization does and so do the players, plenty of fans as well. Sorry you will have to endure at least another year along with your buddies. That has to suck to hate the head coach so much - so in essence a failed season would purge the Vikings of the calamity that is Mike Zimmer based on what I have read from you and proclamation he is a terrible head coach.

What are you going to do if the Vikings win this season and Zimmer is retained? If they don't Zimmer is going to be let go. I expect that if that happens and will continue as a Viking fan supporting the next Head Coach. It is about winning - oh yeah that does not matter.

I am a Zimmer guy, you are not. Flip is in Jacksonville you can always root for them until the Vikings have a new head coach.

2015 the Vikings marched into GB in late December and won the division speaks volumes about Mike Zimmer as a head coach.

Finally who has Zimmer had as a QB? Cassel, rookie Bridgewater, and Ponder started in 2014 7-9.
Bridgewater 2015 11-5. 2016 Bridgewater is injured and had to give up 1st for Sam Bradford. Cse in 2017 and Cousins in 2018.

Not exactly Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger.

A good or fair comparison might be Tony Dungy. Built an amazing defense but the offense kept Tampa from being elite. Also Leslie Frazier had the respect of people including myself but just did not win games. Class act. Dungy won a SB with Manning.

I hope the story ends differently for Mike Zimmer in the sense he is not let go and leads the Vikings to the promised land, believe he can - we disagree so be it.

< Message edited by Jason Dorn -- 6/15/2019 4:31:58 AM >

Post #: 5243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 5:34:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/15/former-minnesota-vikings-xfl-showcase/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 8:19:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Dalvin Cook looks faster to my casual eyes.

https://twitter.com/CarmerSkol/status/1139556458457128961?s=09

Post #: 5245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 9:26:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Is that what they mean by running downhill?

Post #: 5246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 10:58:55 AM   
jbusse

One thing I'm hoping the Vikings emphasize more this year is in-game analytics. For a given situation, determining, based on statistics, whether it is best, for example, to attempt a field goal vs. go for it vs. punt, or take a time out vs. let the clock run.

My sense is they don't do enough of that, at least they don't talk about it. Those types of decisions would be one thing that Zimmer does not seem particularly adept at, though maybe he's gotten better over time.

Do other teams have an in-game stats guru, who sits in the booth with a computer? There's so much data out there, and a computer is ideally suited for crunching the numbers quickly without letting emotions cloud judgement. Seems as though the NFL is behind MLB in this respect.
Post #: 5247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 11:10:19 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Re Carlson, I think they tried to mentally create a seasoned veteran in a couple of months. That failed. And they also tried to 'tweak' his mechanics. That failed. At the time, we were all-in for a SB run and Zimmer quickly cut bait because he didn't want a rookie/bad kicker derailing the season. The plan for creating a rookie monster kicker who bled ice-water failed. But closer to home, Pfieffer was the common denominator with Walsh, Carlson, and Bailey.

Re Beebe, had high hopes for him last offseason. He's the antithesis to Treadwell. My concern is he has been uber coached with his dad and all, but there could be a lack of athleticism which will lead to him being just another guy once NFL defenses figure him out. Without going too far in the comparo, somewhat like an early Kalil.
Post #: 5248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 11:14:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Re Carlson, I think they tried to mentally create a seasoned veteran in a couple of months. That failed. And they also tried to 'tweak' his mechanics. That failed. At the time, we were all-in for a SB run and Zimmer quickly cut bait because he didn't want a rookie/bad kicker derailing the season. The plan for creating a rookie monster kicker who bled ice-water failed. But closer to home, Pfieffer was the common denominator with Walsh, Carlson, and Bailey.

Re Beebe, had high hopes for him last offseason. He's the antithesis to Treadwell. My concern is he has been uber coached with his dad and all, but there could be a lack of athleticism which will lead to him being just another guy once NFL defenses figure him out. Without going too far in the comparo, somewhat like an early Kalil.

If teams want to double Diggs and Theilen we need a guy like Beebe who can get seperation.

I think the big question is can he hold up.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/15/2019 11:25:03 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Is that what they mean by running downhill?

Oh my lord, that is the teaser about Cook up to this point.

His burst looks amazing through holes, he puts his foot in the ground and goes like lightening.

Cook gets as low as any RB you’ll see in the hole, has amazing lateral ability, and looks like a pretty natural receiver out of the backfield.

He often appears to be the fastest players on the field.

Dude just really needs to stay on the field, and have at the very least an average OLine instead of the absolute tire fire we’ve seen the last few years to absolutely explode onto the seen.
  Post #: 5250
Page:   <<   < prev  208 209 [210] 211 212   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  208 209 [210] 211 212   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode