Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  207 208 [209] 210 211   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 12:20:40 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I think we are going to regret moving on from Daniels so quickly. The GB game was so very ugly, I don't know what we could have done differently.... Maybe practice squad?

Impressed he and his agent turned down a chance to tryout with another team. Took some time to regroup then signed with the Raiders, setting a Raiders rookie accuracy record.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Daniel-Carlson-recaps-unique-rookie-season-132846108

Have to agree here.

I think Zim's old school (Parcells) approach may have been over the top for a young rookie kicker.

He went to the Raiders where it was a no pressure situation.

I don't buy that. He was kicking for his career in Oakland.

Are kickers on bad teams usually more accurate than kickers on good teams because of "lack of pressure".

Its OK to admit we effed up.

We effed up with Walsh, not sure about Carlson. Our typical eff up is holding onto guys too long - including Walsh - which probably influenced our lack of patience with Carlson ...

I think you make a decision at the time and live with it. If it seems like the rookie cannot handle or is not ready for NFL game day pressure because, well, he seems to be falling apart in games ... and how else can you know? (its not like NFL teams have back-up kickers so, if you lose confidence in a guy, you can rotate or put Carlson on the bench for awhile or deactivate him for a couple game days [how would that help his confidence?]).

I think its more of a shame for us than a pure eff up, that we invested a draft pick, then baptised Carlson in fire so he could go somewhere else and make a quick stunning non-Walsh-like turnaround. Kudos to him.

I think it was having a ST coach that loved to tinker with mechanics. He did it with Walsh, he did it with Carlson. Hell, he said he spotted some things he wanted to change with the most accurate kicker in NFL history and he fell apart here.

I do agree with that - Preiffer was the main overarching issue - which is completely on us (both Spielman/Zimmer). And we made the dude a defacto HC for one game!

The Carlson thing though was a tough spot, really. I’d rather we were decisive and live with our mistakes - as long as we are fair - rather than be indecisive and nurse mistakes for too long.
Post #: 5201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 12:25:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I will try to restrict myself to water cooler, idle talk and certain political threads...I know my personal crap doesn’t belong here.. but then again, this website has a posting continuity of spastic feral cats being fed raw chicken while standing on tasers shock pads..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 12:32:56 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Fn Preifer needed to go... Walsh was money till Preifer got his earwigs into his head,, same as Daniels..

Fning kickers have been kicking the ball more or less effectively, for years, high school, college, then, when they get to the pros, some asshat coach thinks he can six million dollar man a “better” kicker by “ tweaking” chit...

I’d fire a kicking coach if he tried changing a kickers style to meet his philosophical desires..

90 % of the time a good college kicker our punter can be adequately effective in the NFL, if allowed to just be the same person the developed themselves to be in that endeavor.

It ain’t fm rocket surgery...

Special teams coaching could be done by almost anyone who understands the basic situations involved..

I would be willing to bet I could do it.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 6/14/2019 12:37:14 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:08:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think we are going to regret moving on from Daniels so quickly. The GB game was so very ugly, I don't know what we could have done differently.... Maybe practice squad?

Impressed he and his agent turned down a chance to tryout with another team. Took some time to regroup then signed with the Raiders, setting a Raiders rookie accuracy record.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Daniel-Carlson-recaps-unique-rookie-season-132846108

Have to agree here.

I think Zim's old school (Parcells) approach may have been over the top for a young rookie kicker.

Are kickers on bad teams usually more accurate than kickers on good teams because of "lack of pressure".

There is no comparison to the pressure of a FG attempt with the game on the line for a team that is supposed to be a contender, vs a FG attempt behind or ahead by 10+ points for a floundering team where making the field goal or missing it has no bearing on that teams season. Or even a FG attempt with the game on the line for that floundering team makes little difference in their season (other than a make might mean worse draft position), hence little pressure. I don't totally discount the "career on the line pressure" concept, I just think it takes a major back seat to the "failure will cause your team's season to fall apart pressure" concept.
Post #: 5204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:14:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have to agree here.

There is no comparison to the pressure of a FG attempt with the game on the line for a team that is supposed to be a contender, vs a FG attempt behind or ahead by 10+ points for a floundering team where making the field goal or missing it has no bearing on that teams season. Or even a FG attempt with the game on the line for that floundering team makes little difference in their season (other than a make might mean worse draft position), hence little pressure. I don't totally discount the "career on the line pressure" concept, I just think it takes a major back seat to the "failure will cause your team's season to fall apart pressure" concept.

Sounds like desperate spinning instead of admitting the Vikings screwed up.
Post #: 5205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 1:39:50 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have to agree here.

Sounds like trying not to be too simplistic in one’s answer.
Post #: 5206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:11:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have to agree here.

Oh yeah, that's really something that would drive a person to desperation.

You may or may not have noted that I never said a word with respect to whether or not the Vikings screwed up by releasing Carlson.
Post #: 5207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:11:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have to agree here.

I think we screwed up on multiple fronts.

1. We tried to "fix" a kicker that wasn't broken.
2. We had a hard ass ST coach that admitted to not caring at all about the psychological aspect of players, and a HC that backed him 100%.
3. If you're going to draft your kicker, maybe give him more than 1 good game and 1 bad game before pulling the plug. Otherwise don't draft a kicker.

What I don't buy is that his success in Oakland came because he had "no pressure on him". Daniel Carlson missed 3 of his first 4 kicks and we cut him. Sebastian Janikowski missed 3 of his first 5 kicks (including his first 2) and they're probably pretty glad they stuck with him.
Post #: 5208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:24:31 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/14/vikings-te-david-morgan-had-arthroscopic-surgery-on-knee/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:35:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/14/vikings-te-david-morgan-had-arthroscopic-surgery-on-knee/

"Morgan has 16 catches for 135 yards and a touchdown for his career.

Rudolph remains with the Vikings after signing a new contract this offseason and the team drafted Irv Smith Jr. in the second round, so Morgan may be looking at a different role in his fourth season in Minnesota.
"

I'm wondering what "different" role the author is referring to? Long snapper? DT? Blocking TE?
Post #: 5210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:50:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

More special teams? I think he's already active with that, but if we do indeed go heavy with 2 tight formations, then perhaps he will get more snaps. I don't know.

I have a hunch Beebe's play will demand more snaps.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 2:53:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

More special teams? I think he's already active with that, but if we do indeed go heavy with 2 tight formations, then perhaps he will get more snaps. I don't know.

I have a hunch Beebe's play will demand more snaps.

He barely plays ST, so that's a good guess.

21 ST snaps over 11 games last year. 7 of the 11 games he had 0 or 1 snap.
Post #: 5212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:05:49 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have to agree here.

I think we screwed up on multiple fronts.

1. We tried to "fix" a kicker that wasn't broken.
2. We had a hard ass ST coach that admitted to not caring at all about the psychological aspect of players, and a HC that backed him 100%.
3. If you're going to draft your kicker, maybe give him more than 1 good game and 1 bad game before pulling the plug. Otherwise don't draft a kicker.

What I don't buy is that his success in Oakland came because he had "no pressure on him". Daniel Carlson missed 3 of his first 4 kicks and we cut him. Sebastian Janikowski missed 3 of his first 5 kicks (including his first 2) and they're probably pretty glad they stuck with him.

I think we screwed up on multiple fronts as well. I just don't agree with all of your 'points'.

1. Preiffer didn't ruin Carlson's technique by trying to fix it. (Please see article below). I'm splitting hairs because Prieffer's ineptitude was a factor.
2. Both Preiffer and Zimmer are old school neanderthal boobs, I agree.
3. MAINLY - Yes we gave Carlson a quick hook. However, it's not like Carlson had Bailey's track record to fall back on during struggles. We simply didn't know if or how long it would take for Carlson to regroup. Bottomline, Carlson didn't have an off day ... didn't miss one or two out of three ... he had a total breakdown ... and against the Packers. I myself don't have a problem with the hastiness of the decision given the stakes ... although I am kicking myself in the head now for the way it turned out.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/20/how-raiders-kicker-daniel-carlson-re-ignited-his-nfl-career/

[after being released by Vikings] "... Carlson and his wife hopped in the car. They drove three hours south to Ankeny, Iowa, the home of renowned special teams guru Jamie Kohl. Carlson spent four days with Kohl making technical adjustments, namely to the length of his strides preceding kicks."

"Carlson says things he wanted to work on because he didn’t have time in between the end of his senior season and the beginning of the NFL season to shorten his strides before kicks, with the combine, pro day, private workouts and training camp affording little time to overhaul mechanics."

"Kohl said he noticed this flaw back in February, that Carlson’s elongated strides only helped make kicks in practice but not in games, when compact run-ups help combat charging NFL defensive linemen. Kohl, who has known Carlson for almost a decade, brought in long-snappers and holders to help. Carlson and his wife stayed with Kohl’s family for the final three days of a four-day workout. Normally Carlson wouldn’t kick on back-to-back days, but he wanted to for muscle memory. Over those four days he shortened his strides so that he stood 20 inches closer to the ball when he reached set position."
Post #: 5213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:16:35 PM   
David F.

quote:

[after being released by Vikings] "... Carlson and his wife hopped in the car. They drove three hours south to Ankeny, Iowa, the home of renowned special teams guru Jamie Kohl. Carlson spent four days with Kohl making technical adjustments, namely to the length of his strides preceding kicks."

"Carlson says things he wanted to work on because he didn’t have time in between the end of his senior season and the beginning of the NFL season to shorten his strides before kicks, with the combine, pro day, private workouts and training camp affording little time to overhaul mechanics."

"Kohl said he noticed this flaw back in February, that Carlson’s elongated strides only helped make kicks in practice but not in games, when compact run-ups help combat charging NFL defensive linemen. Kohl, who has known Carlson for almost a decade, brought in long-snappers and holders to help. Carlson and his wife stayed with Kohl’s family for the final three days of a four-day workout. Normally Carlson wouldn’t kick on back-to-back days, but he wanted to for muscle memory. Over those four days he shortened his strides so that he stood 20 inches closer to the ball when he reached set position."

Did that Kohl guy even TRY scowling at him to fix him? What a dummy!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:24:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/20/how-raiders-kicker-daniel-carlson-re-ignited-his-nfl-career/

So it took 4 days to completely fix his mechanics, but our coaching staff couldn't find less than a week to work with him between the draft and start of the season?

That makes us look even worse. Especially since Priefer himself says he worked with him on the same thing:

quote:

Carlson, though, attributed his turnaround to a subtle physical adjustment, making his motion “a little more compact,” according to Raiders reporters. At 6-foot-5, Carlson is significantly taller than most kickers, and while his “long levers” (as he coined) gave him more power, they also provided more moving parts.

Priefer claims the Vikings were also focused on compacting Carlson’s technique.

“That’s what we did here,” said Priefer. “He was really long when he got here, and we worked really hard all spring and all summer long at making him a compact approach.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/mike-priefer-on-what-went-amiss-with-daniel-carlson-blair-walsh/

So apparently Kohl did in 4 days what Preifer couldn't do "all spring and all summer long"...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/14/2019 3:26:09 PM >
Post #: 5215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:31:19 PM   
SoMnFan

And Kohl is employed by who ……..

(sounds like a "guru" we desperately need..)

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 6/14/2019 3:34:33 PM >
Post #: 5216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:50:24 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

So it took 4 days to completely fix his mechanics, but our coaching staff couldn't find less than a week to work with him between the draft and start of the season?

That makes us look even worse. Especially since Priefer himself says he worked with him on the same thing:

quote:

Carlson, though, attributed his turnaround to a subtle physical adjustment, making his motion “a little more compact,” according to Raiders reporters. At 6-foot-5, Carlson is significantly taller than most kickers, and while his “long levers” (as he coined) gave him more power, they also provided more moving parts.

“That’s what we did here,” said Priefer. “He was really long when he got here, and we worked really hard all spring and all summer long at making him a compact approach.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/mike-priefer-on-what-went-amiss-with-daniel-carlson-blair-walsh/

So apparently Kohl did in 4 days what Preifer couldn't do "all spring and all summer long"...

Yup. Although I didn't realize Preiffer had worked on that issue as well.

It's very possible the team pulled the plug so quickly because they thought Carlson was just not going to be able to compact his swing more. (which is technically true if he had stayed on with Preiffer).

Maalouf may be the most under-rated change to this team this year. If he's decent.
Post #: 5217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 3:57:18 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup. Although I didn't realize Preiffer had worked on that issue as well.

It's very possible the team pulled the plug so quickly because they thought Carlson was just not going to be able to compact his swing more. (which is technically true if he had stayed on with Preiffer).

Maalouf may be the most under-rated change to this team this year. If he's decent.

We may have lucked out again, just like with Kalil, by having someone the Vikings wanted to keep leave on their own.
Post #: 5218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:06:13 PM   
marty

So Priefer had the right idea, as far as mechanics.

The problem with Priefer, is that he is an @$$hole. And how do some people perform when working under an @$$hole ? How have Viking kickers done working under Priefer ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:07:03 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Well hell let’s have the next meeting of the “Puppies and Rainbow” council meeting at world famous Manny’s steakhouse (Highly overrated).

Dinner with Dorn and Ricky is definitely a positive event...

As with you, buddy! It's been way too long.

I would love that. I'd also throw out the offer at the KC away game this season. I realize I bailed on LA last year but this year I already have the tickets and hotel.

Im kinda committed to the game in Big D. We'll see.
Ive got one more year of work with 6 personal days and 2 weeks at Christmas. My schedule is opening up soon
Post #: 5220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:18:56 PM   
marty

So Priefer was right about what Carlson needed to fix, and he might be right about what an aging Bailey needs to do to keep kicking. I think the problem was that Priefer is an @$$.

Hopefully the new special team's coach is good on a technical level, just not an @$$ like Priefer.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:34:19 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, a decade and 4 days at any rate.
Post #: 5222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:45:01 PM   
marty

Cleveland drafted a great college kicker this year, Austin Seibert.

Maybe the Priefer effect kicks in early, Siebert performs poorly early on, and the Browns cut Siebert.

Then the Vikings sign him and pick up a great young kicker.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:50:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

Its weird that

Carlson claims he didn’t have enough time to change his mechanics between college and the NFL season ...

Priefer claims that they worked all offseason on doing just that ...

Kohl claims he could see the problem in February and needed just 4 days to implement the change (although that included a couple months of working on it between the Vikes and Raiders).
Post #: 5224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/14/2019 4:55:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Its weird that

Carlson claims he didn’t have enough time to change his mechanics between college and the NFL season ...

Priefer claims that they worked all offseason on doing just that ...

Kohl claims he could see the problem in February and needed just 4 days to implement the change (although that included a couple months of working on it between the Vikes and Raiders).

I think its either:

1. Preifer is lying about "doing the same thing here" and trying to take some of the credit for Carlson's success in Oakland, while deflecting the blame.
2. Preifer is just a shitty coach that recognized the issue but either didn't know how to, or was unable to, help Carlson.
3. Some combo of 1 and 2.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 6/14/2019 4:56:48 PM >
Post #: 5225
Page:   <<   < prev  207 208 [209] 210 211   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  207 208 [209] 210 211   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode