Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 1:23:48 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

All this talk about the cap and all I can think about is how we have the NFLs greatest capological genius in our front office.

I have no doubt in my mind that Brez has a plan for the 2020 cap in place already. and in Brez I trust.

For sure.

Although I do worry about how the team building strategy has changed during Zimmer's tenure. It used to be 4-5 big ($7M+) contracts a year, now its 11-12.

I doubt that is directly Zimmer-caused and more about how Spielman has evolved /adapted to Zimmer.

Brez is a magician but we are definitely heading towards a bottleneck.
Post #: 5326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 1:44:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

All this talk about the cap and all I can think about is how we have the NFLs greatest capological genius in our front office.

I have no doubt in my mind that Brez has a plan for the 2020 cap in place already. and in Brez I trust.

For sure.

Although I do worry about how the team building strategy has changed during Zimmer's tenure. It used to be 4-5 big ($7M+) contracts a year, now its 11-12.

I doubt that is directly Zimmer-caused and more about how Spielman has evolved /adapted to Zimmer.

Brez is a magician but we are definitely heading towards a bottleneck.

Sounds about right with respect to the progression of the salary cap from pre-Zimmer days.
Post #: 5327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 3:48:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings have $211.638 million in cap charges for 2020. Unless the salary cap skyrockets from $188.2 million this year by more than $23 million next year, the Vikings will have to trim layers of fat.

Meaning Griffin is gone. Is that counting Waynes? Is he FA and do they count FA? We let him walk and take the comp pick. We probably have to draft a LT and move on from Reiff. Would those moves would do it.

FA's have no salary figure so no they are not included.

Waynes is not on the books for next season unless they re-sign him.

both waynes and alexander are not signed for next season...those are two solid starters that we could very possibly lose in 2020...i think letting them both walk would be a big mistake....

Agreed. Let Waynes walk and Keep Alexander.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 3:51:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terry Stoneberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Good article.

The definitive breakdown of the Vikings’ Long Snapper battle https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/6/17/18682779/kevin-mcdermott-austin-cutting-long-snapper-battle-minnesota-vikings

Having been a long-snapper in my youth a couple of generations ago. I read when Cutting was drafted that he had the thing down to a science such that even the laces are in the right place when the ball reaches the holder's hands. Never heard of such a thing but watching these highlights is really, REALLY impressive on PAT/FG attempts. The holder never takes time to spin the ball so that the laces face the goal posts yet with only one exception that I saw, that's where they always naturally ended up. That and extreme accuracy meant that the kicks occurred lightning quick, almost impossible to block. One time the right defensive player jumped the snap (had to be an off-side penalty) and without being blocked at all still could not get there in time.

I can appreciate the fact that Cutting appears to be unblockable on punts and often seemed to match or even exceed the gunners' speed at getting to the returner. But to me the laces/accuracy on PATs is even more impressive. I hope the AF will let him play for us this year.

Thanks for the information. Now I want us to have him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 3:56:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I don't get the love for Brez in here.

Accountant's are a dime a dozen.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 3:57:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Yeah.
Post #: 5331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 5:14:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

PA saying that Everson stood out at practices and that he looks better than he has in a while really excites me. If Griff is Griff again that is huge for this team!

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 5:17:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

PA saying that Everson stood out at practices and that he looks better than he has in a while really excites me. If Griff is Griff again that is huge for this team!

Practices are one thing. Games are another. Yes him being an all pro type again would be huge.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 5:30:39 PM   
Todd M

quote:

I think we can ride an up year for him as much as we seemingly went down after a down one.

He's not our MVP but if he is on his game we have so much talent elsewhere they we really should dominate. And if we dominate with an above avg offense it really will be the year.
Post #: 5334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 5:34:49 PM   
Todd M

It might be a long time before we have it better than we do right now. Top tier talent and depth, world class facilities, great team chemistry. A lot of guys with their eye on the prize from coaching to scouting.

What don't we have?
Post #: 5335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 5:37:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

It might be a long time before we have it better than we do right now. Top tier talent and depth, world class facilities, great team chemistry. A lot of guys with their eye on the prize from coaching to scouting.

What don't we have?

I think the best we can hope for with the O Line is that they become average. That might be enough for us to win it all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 6:42:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

He will have to be a good blocker to get a roster spot, but he could be a transcendent player. You know what we have now with our fullback CJ Ham- if we need a yard he will get us a yard; if we need three yards he will give us a yard.

Moss was a transcendent player. Lawrence Taylor. Gale Sayers.

I'm not suggesting that he be a player at that level. Maybe transcendent was not the right word, but what I was trying to say was that he could be more than a "niche" player confined to utilizing one narrow strength. Perhaps impact player may be a better choice of words.

Edit: I did find this definition of transcendent, though. It seems to fit.

surpassing the ordinary; exceptional.

You skipped over:

beyond or above the range of normal or merely physical human experience

That was Moss on a football field. LT. Jim Brown. Ali.
Post #: 5337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 6:43:16 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

I think the best we can hope for with the O Line is that they become average. That might be enough for us to win it all.

Funny thing about "hope" is that it has no limitations, now "expect" there can be limitations there.

There were a lot of dynamics last year for the offensive line to absorb. The passing of their well respected coach, new offensive scheme, players changing positions they have never played, talent not being equal across the board, new QB, lost of stuff.

Now this years group will have some of the same, but Elf has played guard at a high level, at least that is what is being said. O'Neal has an off season of conditioning coming off a pretty good start, Kline has a history of good play in his resume, where Compton did not. Rieff is steady and Bradbury looks the part. I "expect" these guys to be a much improved unit for a few reasons, coaching, talent and competition. I "hope" they are top 10, because I can see the potential to be there, I really can, but we have to wait and see. It's going to be a very interesting camp this year, many questions need to be answered.
Post #: 5338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 7:02:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

I would say that would be the basement expectation.
Post #: 5339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 7:04:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Practices are one thing. Games are another. Yes him being an all pro type again would be huge.

I'd agree if he was some snot nosed rookie/UDFA
Post #: 5340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 7:18:12 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

Funny thing about "hope" is that it has no limitations, now "expect" there can be limitations there.

There were a lot of dynamics last year for the offensive line to absorb. The passing of their well respected coach, new offensive scheme, players changing positions they have never played, talent not being equal across the board, new QB, lost of stuff.

Now this years group will have some of the same, but Elf has played guard at a high level, at least that is what is being said. O'Neal has an off season of conditioning coming off a pretty good start, Kline has a history of good play in his resume, where Compton did not. Rieff is steady and Bradbury looks the part. I "expect" these guys to be a much improved unit for a few reasons, coaching, talent and competition. I "hope" they are top 10, because I can see the potential to be there, I really can, but we have to wait and see. It's going to be a very interesting camp this year, many questions need to be answered.

Well put Dana.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 5341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 8:12:30 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

Basement expectation is quite a bit lower. Elflein is a big question mark. Kline coming off a poor year. Average expectations for Reiff. Questionable depth. New coaches.

On the flip side, I'm optimistic about Bradbury and O'Neil and hoping they follow through with more play action to keep the defense guessing.
Post #: 5342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 9:04:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Bradbury, O'Neill, and coaching should all = better.

Reiff, we know what we are getting = wash.

Elk and Kline are the two unknowns. Maybe Samia surprises. Still, better than Easton to IR, Compton. Kline v Remmers.

Depth TBD but should be better.

Equates to better than last year.
Post #: 5343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 10:20:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

It was kind of a mess last year with Elflein's injury and the death of the offensive line coach just before the beginning of the season. The play of O'Neil sure was a pleasant surprise, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/18/2019 11:35:49 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm interested to see how Blasingame does. I guess he never fumbled at Vanderbilt. Are the Vikings going to get heavy in the running game? Since he was converted from linebacker he should be good on special teams. He's kind of the reverse from Anthony Barr in that respect.

Post #: 5345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/19/2019 1:22:09 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Elk and Kline are the two unknowns. Maybe Samia surprises. Still, better than Easton to IR, Compton. Kline v Remmers.

we've got solid o-line players and the coaches and scheme to make them better...we've got the perfect runningbacks for our new zone blocking scheme...we've got the best play-action quarterback in the league and we're going to play to his strengths...we've got a top five wide receiver tandem...we've got a two tight ends that each bring something different to the game and will complement each other....

we've got chad beebe, who defies coverage by any human being or alien on this planet or any other....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/19/2019 8:24:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Good article.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/06/19/griffen-better-worse-minnesota-vikings-2019/

Post #: 5347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/19/2019 11:42:32 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

What don't we have?

Basement expectation is quite a bit lower. Elflein is a big question mark. Kline coming off a poor year. Average expectations for Reiff. Questionable depth. New coaches.

On the flip side, I'm optimistic about Bradbury and O'Neil and hoping they follow through with more play action to keep the defense guessing.

You're talking about basement "possibility". The entire offensive line could be nuked on a desert island.
Post #: 5348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/19/2019 11:43:20 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

we've got solid o-line players and the coaches and scheme to make them better...we've got the perfect runningbacks for our new zone blocking scheme...we've got the best play-action quarterback in the league and we're going to play to his strengths...we've got a top five wide receiver tandem...we've got a two tight ends that each bring something different to the game and will complement each other....

we've got chad beebe, who defies coverage by any human being or alien on this planet or any other....

Now THAT'S the Rat we know and love!
Post #: 5349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/19/2019 12:32:24 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

Vikings have a great coach, GM, and cap guy.

That has added up to jack squat.

Just win baby.
Post #: 5350
Page:   <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  212 213 [214] 215 216   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode