Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2019 9:09:36 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

“Ben Gedeon - I love the kid. He does everything right... He’s always in the right position, he’s never gonna get beat because of bad technique and he finds the football. Having a guy like that on our roster is huge for us.”

(Adam Zimmer, the LB coach) by way of Sean Borman on Twitter

He'll get beat because he's slow.

Probably more accurate to say that he finds the ball carrier. Not certain that he has ever found (or even caused) a loose ball.
Post #: 5651
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 3:25:42 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

“Ben Gedeon - I love the kid. He does everything right... He’s always in the right position, he’s never gonna get beat because of bad technique and he finds the football. Having a guy like that on our roster is huge for us.”

Probably more accurate to say that he finds the ball carrier. Not certain that he has ever found (or even caused) a loose ball.

I'm with you that he hasn't created turnovers or made the splash plays that usually come with greater athleticism. Nevertheless, I don't pretend to have watched him closely nor understand what his assignment was. This quote may be more about Adam Zimmer than Ben Gedeon. He is a young coach and he's trying to be encouraging and positive with his players, but then, his words were for public consumption. He might be more like his dad when he's working with the players. I'm thinking not, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5652
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 10:54:52 AM   
kgdabom

Something to piss us all off. Top 100 players ranking in the NFL. Harrison Smith at 75 and Stefon Diggs at 49. No Adam Thielen and no Danielle Hunter unless I missed them scrolling through.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/17/the-top-100-players-in-the-nfl-today/11/

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5653
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 11:08:08 AM   
DougD

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Something to piss us all off. Top 100 players ranking in the NFL. Harrison Smith at 75 and Stefon Diggs at 49. No Adam Thielen and no Danielle Hunter unless I missed them scrolling through.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/17/the-top-100-players-in-the-nfl-today/11/

Didnt miss anything but maybe his qualifying explanation for how one mans list came to be what it is.
Post #: 5654
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 11:33:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Leber said that Linval had a down year last season. Look for him to be on the field less this season. He might play better.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 5655
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 12:31:33 PM   
jbusse

quote:

Leber said that Linval had a down year last season. Look for him to be on the field less this season. He might play better.

Middle of the defensive line didn't hold its ground as well as in the recent past. Was pretty noticeable at times.
Post #: 5656
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 2:08:46 PM   
mikegreitzer

JT2 is right. Gedeon is a good football player. But he's slow. No remedy for that. I also think that Richardson was the wrong fit. His "3 tech" was average and teams figured out how to play him with the run. Shamar will make a difference.

http://vikings61.com/the-old-guys-key-to-vikings-success-in-2019/

Hope you fellows have some time to share some thoughts a new Vikings website. I get a lot of ideas from your forum here and I'd like to be a true friend of the program!

It's name is VIKINGS61.COM but I'd like to have it go but call letters: THE V61

I used to write for the Viking Age: https://thevikingage.com/2019/02/24/minnestoa-vikings-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers/

I'll be re-locating up in Minnesota in a month or two!

< Message edited by mikegreitzer -- 7/18/2019 2:15:36 PM >
Post #: 5657
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 2:36:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikegreitzer

JT2 is right. Gedeon is a good football player. But he's slow. No remedy for that. I also think that Richardson was the wrong fit. His "3 tech" was average and teams figured out how to play him with the run. Shamar will make a difference.

Hope you fellows have some time to share some thoughts a new Vikings website. I get a lot of ideas from your forum here and I'd like to be a true friend of the program!

I used to write for the Viking Age: https://thevikingage.com/2019/02/24/minnestoa-vikings-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers/

Very cool. I'm sure I've read your articles because I have visited Viking age repeatedly. I'm so happy that you are here to join us when you can.

Post #: 5658
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 3:14:07 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm with you that he hasn't created turnovers or made the splash plays that usually come with greater athleticism. Nevertheless, I don't pretend to have watched him closely nor understand what his assignment was. This quote may be more about Adam Zimmer than Ben Gedeon. He is a young coach and he's trying to be encouraging and positive with his players, but then, his words were for public consumption. He might be more like his dad when he's working with the players. I'm thinking not, though.

for sure, and mike wobschall is a vikings' employee and he's there to pump up the team...i find most of those interviews fluffy kids' stuff....

if gedeon can get there, he'll help bust things up and make the tackle, but he's slow - struggles in coverage and holding the edge...he should be replaced as a starter....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5659
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 3:37:54 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Welcome Mike! We can always use some new blood in here.

I don't think Stephens is a good fit next to Linval. Stephens is pretty much a pure NT and puts little to no pressure on the qb. Job of the 3T is to get skinny, shoot the gap and disrupt.

Nothing skinny about Stephans.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5660
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 3:51:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Stephens will stuff the run better, but you won't see him on the field on passing downs.

Post #: 5661
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 3:52:27 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Welcome Mike! We can always use some new blood in here.

I don't think Stephens is a good fit next to Linval. Stephens is pretty much a pure NT and puts little to no pressure on the qb. Job of the 3T is to get skinny, shoot the gap and disrupt.

Nothing skinny about Stephans.

We need JJohnson, Holmes or Hercules to be a difference making pass rusher(3Tech). Hercules quick 1st step could give him the edge to be that guy.
Post #: 5662
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 4:54:31 PM   
mikegreitzer

Thanks for kind words guys!

Forgive the plug, but here's a story on the V61 (vikings61.com) that I put some time into:

http://vikings61.com/vikings-must-get-back-to-stopping-the-run/

It seems to me that Zimmer's system needs to work in parts. It's not a bunch of athletes making plays. He plays chess, like Belichick, and doesn't always win the move.

But getting opponents into 3rd and long is his key. You can't do it w/o stopping the run.
Post #: 5663
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 5:26:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DougD

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Didnt miss anything but maybe his qualifying explanation for how one mans list came to be what it is.

No Thielen or Danielle Hunter????
The man is insane.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5664
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 5:52:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Interesting to think about how the team will try harder with regard to the run on offense AND defense. It is a good point about making third and longs by better success on defense and third and shorts on offense when more successful running. Ball control is a big deal. Get off the field when you're on defense and continue to wear down the other teams defense through ball control of offense.

I read your article about the comparison between Belichick's defense and Zimmer's defense. One difference that I see is that Belichick did more in game adjusting and also would game plan more flexibly based on which team he was facing. Teams would game plan based on film for New England, but find themselves struggling to figure out on the fly what they were facing. I don't know how they can do it so well week to week, though.

Post #: 5665
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2019 6:23:05 PM   
Lynn G.

Welcome Mike. Just for the record there is only one female on this site.

That would be me. But I'm also a writer - so it's practically like we're related.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5666
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 6:01:19 AM   
marty

Welcome Mike. I am the resident insane guy.

As long as there aren't discussions that get lost in personal attacks, you will find some very knowledgeable, interesting and nice fans here. I sense you will fit right in.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5667
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 7:51:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/17/nfl-schedule-2019-team-record-predictions

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5668
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 8:10:33 AM   
joejitsu

Welcome aboard the Vikings Ship, Mike! I hope to read a lot of good posts from you in the future.
Post #: 5669
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 8:15:54 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

I could live with this.
Post #: 5670
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 8:26:38 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

I could live with this.

I could live with it, but I definitely am hopeful of better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5671
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 9:38:07 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely.

Just my conjecture, but:

This explains why Gedeon was put on the field before a guy like Wilson.

Adam's Pet.
Post #: 5672
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 9:56:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

What are you guys talking about Gedeon always finds the ball carrier. He points the ball carrier out and says, 'there he is' as the ball carrier runs by him with ease.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5673
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 11:40:48 AM   
mikegreitzer

Does anyone think that the kid from Notre Dame could get some playing time? Or is he another slow white guy? Truth is, Kendricks himslef ain't no Brian Urlacher---

hey, wait a second...

AND--why am I having trouble with my avatar?

< Message edited by mikegreitzer -- 7/19/2019 11:41:50 AM >
Post #: 5674
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2019 12:07:04 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Does anyone think that the kid from Notre Dame could get some playing time? Or is he another slow white guy? Truth is, Kendricks himslef ain't no Brian Urlacher---

hey, wait a second...

AND--why am I having trouble with my avatar?

So all black guys are fast and all white guys slow ... thanks for the reminder
Post #: 5675
Page:   <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  225 226 [227] 228 229   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode