Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 10:14:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Looks like Cutting is the new long snapper.

I heard reports that McDermott was released.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 10:27:02 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Albeit we don’t know yet how special teams will look on the opener, I’m happy to see the team being proactive rather than reactive in regards to the roster. Even though Priefer assured us that he’d looked over ‘all of Dan Bailey ‘s kicks’ I much prefer starting fresh with a young guy. It’s a chance for the team to correct the Carlson mess.

One thing is if we can't cover kickoffs, we better get someone who can boom it out of the EZ.

I have no reason to believe kick coverage will be a problem. I’d be much more concerned if we’d had a punt blocked in four consecutive games spanning playoffs and preseason.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 11:00:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

NFL stands for Not For Long. These changes need to be confirmed in the next three preseason games or other players will need to step in. Of course as fans we hope for the best that new means improved. That isn't always the case as we saw last year with the shiny new kicker that we drafted. For now we have to give some leeway to the new coordinator that he can have "his guys" and that he knows what he's doing. If not, he can be replaced too.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 11:17:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The rumors of his being cut are a little premature.

#Vikings guard Dru Samia took some reps with the 2nd-team offense on Sunday. Samia has mainly been working with the 3’s throughout training camp (Sean Borman on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 11:27:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Did you see this? OMG! We have a player.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1160627463904362496

Post #: 6180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 11:34:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Actually, very little cap relief with the new long snapper.

Looks like #Vikings salary-cap savings of $119,742 in releasing Kevin McDermott. McDermott had cap number of $960,00 and the Vikings incur $200,000 dead money. And Tyler Conklin, with a $640,258 cap number, now joins top 51 of salaries. Austin Cutting is not in top 51 ($513,644).

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Post #: 6181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2019 11:48:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It strikes me how little I knew about the art of running with the football. Mattison is superior in unique ways and I'm fascinated to see how it plays out. One thing I'm thinking about is that a player like this can make the offensive line look a lot better.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/10/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-lens-rb-alexander-mattisons-minnesota-processing-and-execution/

Post #: 6182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 2:00:56 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Albeit we don’t know yet how special teams will look on the opener, I’m happy to see the team being proactive rather than reactive in regards to the roster. Even though Priefer assured us that he’d looked over ‘all of Dan Bailey ‘s kicks’ I much prefer starting fresh with a young guy. It’s a chance for the team to correct the Carlson mess.

One thing is if we can't cover kickoffs, we better get someone who can boom it out of the EZ.

this is a very real, and excellent point...goes a long way to winning the field position battle....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 2:07:03 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

I posted a few weeks ago that I would like to see Blasingame beat out Ham for the FB position. I've never been impressed with Ham...to me, he's just Blah Blah as a player. Nothing special. Blasingame looked good as a receiver and blocker. He helped Boone with his long TD.

Hopefully the coaches will give this young guy a few cracks with the 1's and see what can do.

for sure, blasingame does everything better than ham - and he's a legitimate rb, too....

also, blasingame saves us about $200k this season...this is the final year of ham's deal - the price goes up next season....

Post #: 6184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 2:12:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

spielman is trying to figure out a way to keep both udoh and samia on the final 53 and not have to play them this season....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 8/12/2019 3:51:45 AM >

Post #: 6185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 3:50:56 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Vedvik uncorked a 77-yard kickoff after a penalty in a game at Old Dominion.

Vedvik capped his college career impressively in 2017 when he punted and handled kickoff and field goal duties.

He was named First-Team All-Conference USA as a punter after punting 59 times for 2,597 yards (44.0 yards per punt) and placing 26 of the 59 inside the 20-yard line.

Opponents returned just 16 of the 59 punts for a meager total of 62 yards, which helped Vedvik rank in the top 10 for fewest punt return yards allowed by punters with at least 55 attempts.

Vedvik looks to have a pretty good pedigree coming out of Baltimore, where he made 90% of his kicks in practice this year.

Dan Bailey has been averaging around 75% on field goals in OTAs and training camp, and I don’t think many (or any) have been from beyond 50 yards.

Vedvik’s kickoffs are about five yards longer than Bailey’s, which could produce more touchbacks and/or worse starting field position for opponents.

yesterday at practice....

Kicker Dan Bailey went 5 of 7 on FGs after hearing the trade news on Vedvik. Vedvik won’t join the team until tomorrow. Also of note was that Punter Matt Wile has not the holder for any of those kicks as the Vikings used Beebe as the holder.

With that said it’s worth noting that Vedvik also has experience as a Holder so he could also be challenging Matt Wile for his roster spot. With McDermott snapping Bailey went 3 of 3. With Cutting snapping Bailey went 2 of 4. (mcdermott was waived yesterday)

Bailey’s misses continue to be primarily from the right hash. Wile finally got some action as a Punter and boomed a 70 yarder. Vedvik’s signing definitely has him on notice too.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 8/12/2019 5:44:29 AM >

Post #: 6186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 6:22:39 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/12/20801295/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-august-11-day-12-recap

Post #: 6187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 6:43:47 AM   
Bill Jandro

I can't see us waiving Wile. He is a very good P.

Not sure when the last time a team had one guy handling both duties.

Problem with that is if he were to get hurt you'd be scrambling to find both a P and K off the street.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 7:30:18 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Our new kicker is from Norway, a true Viking!!!

GO VIKES!
Post #: 6189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 7:40:10 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Problem with that is if he were to get hurt you'd be scrambling to find both a P and K off the street.

Wile is middle of the pack type guy.
Post #: 6190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 7:51:04 AM   
JT2

quote:

Not sure who was the last, but Russell Erxleben is probably the most infamous. One of the most foolish 1st round picks ever. Also a huge bust.
Post #: 6191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:01:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Wile is middle of the pack type guy.

The biggest issue is that he obviously is a poor holder.....if he was better at that he would keep his job.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:20:31 AM   
Bruce Johnson

We know that the new guy will stay. We invested a 5th rounder for him. The question is who will go. It looks like a 100% chance to me that Wile is gone and I'll put it at 70% that Bailey is gone. I could be wrong.

Post #: 6193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:21:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

It makes more sense that waiving Bailey.

Bailey is money short. You can plug in the new guy for kick offs and longer FGs while still handling the punting duties.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:26:11 AM   
Murph

Some pundits actually think things through before making predictions.

Not sure if it's been posted but worth a second watch

https://www.vikings.com/video/total-access-bold-predictions-for-the-nfc-north-in-2019

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 6195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:32:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Amazing punt.

https://twitter.com/L_Scott10/status/1160760335101571077?s=09

Post #: 6196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 9:55:58 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

It makes more sense that waiving Bailey.

Bailey is money short. You can plug in the new guy for kick offs and longer FGs while still handling the punting duties.

I think new guy is a holder too.
Post #: 6197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 11:20:28 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Actually, very little cap relief with the new long snapper.

Looks like #Vikings salary-cap savings of $119,742 in releasing Kevin McDermott. McDermott had cap number of $960,00 and the Vikings incur $200,000 dead money. And Tyler Conklin, with a $640,258 cap number, now joins top 51 of salaries. Austin Cutting is not in top 51 ($513,644).

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Sounds like they are keeping him based on talent not based on contract.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 11:26:01 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

spielman is trying to figure out a way to keep both udoh and samia on the final 53 and not have to play them this season....

This is where Vedvik comes in. Punter and Kicker rolled into one.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2019 11:30:58 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Not sure who was the last, but Russell Erxleben is probably the most infamous. One of the most foolish 1st round picks ever. Also a huge bust.

Didn't the Falcons try it with Michael Koenen awhile back?

I think he was really good in the preseason and quickly cratered once the real games started.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but using a guy who has never played in an NFL game (and was actually not that good in college) for 2 key positions is a bit scary.

Its a big risk.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/12/2019 11:38:23 AM >
Post #: 6200
Page:   <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode