Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 1:53:27 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Nothing any of us do, say, think, or feel will change our path.

We're up against it and most signs point to this season ending on the outside looking in - so if we do fail some can say 'see, I was right...'

But I don't care about being right or wrong.

I choose to believe until they turn the lights out and tell me to go home.

---

I wish I was a better fan where I didn't want to lash out at the team when they disappoint. Anyone can love something when it's smooth sailing. I'm a jerk about getting let down but I'm glad that I can get myself to come back around. Still, I could be a better fan and I admit it.

i feel the same way...i think this move is a positive thing for our team - it shows there are consequences to not playing up to your true capability and i for one know that we are better than we've showed this season....

i watched the seahawks game tuesday morning and it was very frustrating - one phucked up, overcomplicated play after another...we were going backward half of the time...i just wanted cousins to go under center and hand cook the ball at full blast and then go play action and keep it simple...spread things out with three wr's, cook alone and cousins under center...our team cannot go shotgun running plays on short yardage....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 10:31:49 AM   
ronhextall

Odd stat. take the 6 highest paid QBs in the NFL, only Cousins has his team in playoff position.
Post #: 677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 10:46:56 AM   
jbusse

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25507705/2019-nfl-draft-nuggets-all-32-teams-need-know#min

Minnesota Vikings (6-6-1)
Projected pick: No. 22

It goes without saying that the Vikings need to dedicate a heavy dose of draft capital to fixing the offensive line. It was an issue that wasn't addressed until the second round in 2018, and rookie right tackle Brian O'Neill is playing much earlier than anyone expected. Upgrading their interior spots is imperative, given how overmatched Tom Compton has been at left guard, though the Vikings hope they'll get Nick Easton back in 2019 after neck surgery ended his season in training camp. Minnesota could elect to move on from Mike Remmers, who was paid well to be the Vikings' right tackle before moving inside to right guard where he has struggled. With the potential for departures and a need to improve across the board, it's crucial for the Vikings to attempt to do something in free agency -- even though their current cap structure will limit paying big bucks for a marquee offensive lineman -- and most certainly in the draft. -- Courtney Cronin
Post #: 678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:01:54 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Odd stat. take the 6 highest paid QBs in the NFL, only Cousins has his team in playoff position.

Post #: 679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:02:38 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Nothing any of us do, say, think, or feel will change our path.

We're up against it and most signs point to this season ending on the outside looking in - so if we do fail some can say 'see, I was right...'

But I don't care about being right or wrong.

I choose to believe until they turn the lights out and tell me to go home.

---

I wish I was a better fan where I didn't want to lash out at the team when they disappoint. Anyone can love something when it's smooth sailing. I'm a jerk about getting let down but I'm glad that I can get myself to come back around. Still, I could be a better fan and I admit it.

Perfectly said my man.
Post #: 680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:08:01 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Everyone SHOULD know by now that a penalty should've been called.
Most knew it last night.

It would be one thing if they flat out missed the penalty. It would suck, but it happens.

But they threw the damn flag, so they saw it happen.

Picking it up was inexcusable.

Just like they did after the biggest play in Los Angeles vs the Rams
The long run down the sidelines where the official is caught clearly looking at the holding, calling it, then getting talked out of it.
It let a 50+ yard play stand against us. Right in front of our own bench. No explanation, just picked it up and let it stand.
Post #: 681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:08:25 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Are they forbidding Stefanski from adding any new wrinkles ?

The times they run might change, maybe he will run it more in some games, maybe he rolls Kirk out more, maybe he takes Compton or Remmers out of the lineup????

Maybe there was also something with DeFillipo where he and Cousins clashed, and with that gone, Kirk plays better.

Don't really know, just hoping.

IMO, Stefanski is a puppet OC for the duration of the season.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:12:11 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Well outside of a trade Cousins isn't going anywhere but dang he's playing poor.

Should have been gone two years ago: Mike Priefer, Kyle Rudolph, and Laquon Treadwell.

Should be gone by next season: Compton, Elflein, Remmers

Pick one and toss the other: Zimmer, Flip

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DRAFTING CBs in rounds one and two when our Oline can't block the Golden Girls.

Agreed.

I would toss Zimmer right now and give Flip a shot at the last 3 games.

But Flip's lack of creativity in short yardage (motions, picks, exploiting edges while faking up the middle) have me extremely concerned about him as well.

I'm putting lack of creativity on Zim. He said a couple of weeks ago he wanted simple.

If he were calling the plays I would agree.

But he's not.

He wants a solid running attack as it controls the ball and keeps the other team's offense off the field, plus it makes play action work a lot better.

Creativity isn't the problem, it's that we have a sieve for an Oline.

You can scheme to reduce the impact of a weak line. Long developing run plays and passing schemes based on creating angles don't work well with the level of inside penetration our GCG trio allows play after play. If you go to a quick hitting run game, the guards and the center aren't required to hold their blocks as long. If you scheme it right, you can even use the DL's surge up field against them. Then start rolling out in the passing game. It won't turn us into an offensive juggernaut, but it can help mitigate a lot of weaknesses.

THIS!

I second it

Excellent analysis Sweens

I don't think our oline is beyond help. Much of it is what they are good at as a unit vs what we're making them do.

Elf and Easton for example accell pulling and blocking out in space. We now have O'Neal whom is very athletic. Need to use this.

I disagree. To quote Chevy Chase in Caddy Shack, "I think you are a tremendous slouch".

Post #: 683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:18:42 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I'm torn on this one. De Felippo didn't seem like the problem to me. They were cruising earlier on offense w/ medium to deep passes regularly. Then it just stopped. I don't understand why Zimmer would insist on a forced ground game w/ unknown results vs. what had been working. IMO, he tied Flip's hands by giving an ultimatum that we need to run the ball or else... then gets mad when it doesn't work. I think he wants it both ways; yet I also don't want to lose this defense if he leaves because then we would have to fix both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, this is the defense that Zim built. So in that way, I guess he is a lot like Buddy Ryan (just not as MUCH of an asshole. We have a great defensive coordinator coaching who would never accept a demotion w/ the team he is with. Much like Wade Phillips. Old school, but a great defensive mind as a single skillset.

Once again, Mike Zimmer is a great asshole!

Post #: 684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:22:09 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25507705/2019-nfl-draft-nuggets-all-32-teams-need-know#min

It goes without saying that the Vikings need to dedicate a heavy dose of draft capital to fixing the offensive line. It was an issue that wasn't addressed until the second round in 2018, and rookie right tackle Brian O'Neill is playing much earlier than anyone expected. Upgrading their interior spots is imperative, given how overmatched Tom Compton has been at left guard, though the Vikings hope they'll get Nick Easton back in 2019 after neck surgery ended his season in training camp. Minnesota could elect to move on from Mike Remmers, who was paid well to be the Vikings' right tackle before moving inside to right guard where he has struggled. With the potential for departures and a need to improve across the board, it's crucial for the Vikings to attempt to do something in free agency -- even though their current cap structure will limit paying big bucks for a marquee offensive lineman -- and most certainly in the draft. -- Courtney Cronin

Regarding cap space, Griffen, Barr, and Rhodes all should be released after the season. Barr is a FA so not trade-able. Griffen has zero value. They may be able to get a third round draft pick for Rhodes.

Post #: 685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:24:18 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are both not among the six highest paid QB in the NFL? I suppose they are on the back ends of long-term contracts signed several seasons ago. But that is entirely a surprise and just plain wrong.

Post #: 686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:55:02 AM   
Ricky J

The Vikings were eighth in the league in yards and 10th in points through seven games, after they put up a season-high 37 points on Oct. 21, improving to 4-2-1 with a victory over the Jets on a windy day at MetLife Stadium. In their six games since, they have averaged 324 yards and 17.5 points per game, ranking near the bottom of the league in both categories.

In three of those six games, the Vikings ran on a majority of first and second downs in the first half, though their commitment to the run has sometimes flagged, most notably at New England, when they ran only six times in the second half after averaging 9.6 yards per carry in the first.

The Vikings ran 21 times in their first 48 plays Monday, though they threw on four of five third-and-short situations while the game was still within reach, converting only one on a Cousins QB sneak.

http://www.startribune.com/john-defilippo-fired-because-mike-zimmer-did-not-like-the-direction-things-were-going/502475261/
Post #: 687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 11:59:44 AM   
Ricky J

Tommy Kramer

@Kramer9Tommy

·

30m

Coach Zimmer, Spielman, are the right right guys for the Vikings. Let’s make a run! “1987”
Post #: 688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 12:18:01 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are both not among the six highest paid QB in the NFL? I suppose they are on the back ends of long-term contracts signed several seasons ago. But that is entirely a surprise and just plain wrong.

Brady seems to take less money.

Surprised Brees isn't up there but he isn't. I heard it on radio.

Ryan
Carr
Stafford
Rodgers
Garoppolo
Post #: 689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 12:31:58 PM   
Ricky J

Preview This preview windows does not show attachments RE: General Vikes Talk

Tom Pelissero 

@TomPelissero 

· 

1h 

Following up on Bobby Wagner field-goal block flap from Monday: yes, the competition committee says that was leverage and should’ve been a foul. However, no appetite to let New York command center weigh in on flag being picked up. Too many ramifications with changing those calls 

- this could mean the difference between a five or a six seed 
-- this could be the difference between playing in Texas or Chicago for the playoffs 
--- or it could mean Jack schitt
Post #: 690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 12:36:12 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Tom Pelissero 

@TomPelissero 

· 

1h 

Following up on Bobby Wagner field-goal block flap from Monday: yes, the competition committee says that was leverage and should’ve been a foul. However, no appetite to let New York command center weigh in on flag being picked up. Too many ramifications with changing those calls 

-- this could be the difference between playing in Texas or Chicago for the playoffs 

Well, the Vikings still control their own fate. Win out, and they are in the playoffs as a Wild Card team. Although that would be no charming feat, at least a step in the right direction for a team that has bottomed out offensively. The game vs. Seattle has to be top five all-time horrendous offensive efforts for this franchise.

Post #: 691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 12:36:38 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Tom Pelissero 

@TomPelissero 

· 

1h 

Well, the Vikings still control their own fate. Win out, and they are in the playoffs as a Wild Card team. Although that would be no charming feat, at least a step in the right direction for a team that has bottomed out offensively. The game vs. Seattle has to be top five all-time horrendous offensive efforts for this franchise.

Post #: 692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 1:48:13 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

Not sure what Courtney is talking about. Once we dump Remmers, Barr, Treadwell and Sendejo, and gain the Floyd money we'll have $27 million to play with. Throw in Rudolph and we're close to $35 million and that's without restructures and shedding more dead weight. No reason we can't sign top FA guards. For example:

out:
Remmers
Barr
Treadwell
Sendejo
Rudolph

in:
(FA) Rodger Saffold (G) ($12.5 mil)
(FA) Ben Garland (G) ($6 mil)
(FA) Nick Easton (vet minimum deal)

(FA) Jared Cook (TE) ($7 mil)

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 2:37:30 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

Not sure what Courtney is talking about. Once we dump Remmers, Barr, Treadwell and Sendejo, and gain the Floyd money we'll have $27 million to play with. Throw in Rudolph and we're close to $35 million and that's without restructures and shedding more dead weight. No reason we can't sign top FA guards. For example:

out:
Remmers....$4.5m
Barr....$0...no '19 contract
Treadwell...$0 - his money is guaranteed
Sendejo....$5.5m
Rudolph....$7.6m

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

your 'out' money....$17.6m

your 'in' money....($25.5m)

'19 draft pool....($5m)

existing '19 cap space....$9.1m

your present balance of '19 cap space....($3.8m)

you need to save more money

what about:
grifffen....$10.7 - or restructure
waynes....$9m - or extend

things to consider:
linebacker - we need a starting linebacker to replace barr - wilson?
what about sheldon richardson?

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 3:08:34 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

out:
Remmers
Barr
Treadwell
Sendejo
Rudolph

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

Double out = Rhodes

Post #: 695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 3:25:03 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

How will the run game be more successful under Stefanski? What will be different?

Simple answer! It won't! I'm sure glad Zimmer will be even more involved now as well!

I'm sure there will be more commitment to run the ball, now.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 3:29:13 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

out:
Remmers
Barr
Treadwell
Sendejo
Rudolph

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

Double out = Rhodes

Why do you hate top CBs so much?
Post #: 697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 3:45:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I'm torn on this one. De Felippo didn't seem like the problem to me. They were cruising earlier on offense w/ medium to deep passes regularly. Then it just stopped. I don't understand why Zimmer would insist on a forced ground game w/ unknown results vs. what had been working. IMO, he tied Flip's hands by giving an ultimatum that we need to run the ball or else... then gets mad when it doesn't work. I think he wants it both ways; yet I also don't want to lose this defense if he leaves because then we would have to fix both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, this is the defense that Zim built. So in that way, I guess he is a lot like Buddy Ryan (just not as MUCH of an asshole. We have a great defensive coordinator coaching who would never accept a demotion w/ the team he is with. Much like Wade Phillips. Old school, but a great defensive mind as a single skillset.

Once again, Mike Zimmer is a great asshole!

Did you see the play calls on 3rd and short? You need to sustain drives on 3rd and short and it has been happening regularly the last few weeks...where we can't get a yard.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 4:09:35 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

out:
Remmers
Barr
Treadwell
Sendejo
Rudolph

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

Double out = Rhodes

Why do you hate top CBs so much?

I don't hate CB at all. It just is that Rhodes is way over paid for what he provides on the field. INT, defend passes, tackles, etc. He is not worth what the Vikings have tied up in his contract. He is a poster-boy professional athlete who has been paid and relaxes and collects a paycheck.

Here is Rhodes stat sheet for the 2018 season:

Xavier Rhodes stats
Game stats
Game
COMB
AST
Sack
SFTY
INT
YDS
TD
12/10
@

Seahawks
-
-
-
12/2
@

Patriots
-
-
-
11/25
vs

Packers
-
-
-
11/18
@

Bears
-
-
-
11/4
vs

Lions
-
-
-
10/21
@

Jets
-
-
-
10/14
vs

Cardinals
-
-
-
10/7
@

Eagles
-
-
-
9/27
@

Rams
-
-
-
9/23
vs

Bills
-
-
-
9/16
@

Packers
-
-
-
9/9
vs

49ers
Regular Season
-

He is a ghost on the field. One INT for three yards returned vs. the 49ers in game one. His name is almost never called during the course of a game. The Vikings can spend their money elsewhere.

Post #: 699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 4:16:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He is a ghost on the field. One INT for three yards returned vs. the 49ers in game one. His name is almost never called during the course of a game. The Vikings can spend their money elsewhere.

Dumb. So dumb...

That's like the BEST THING that can happen with a CB. It means he's shutting his man down. QBs don't even throw Rhodes way most of the game.
Post #: 700
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode