Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 4:34:33 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

He is a ghost on the field. One INT for three yards returned vs. the 49ers in game one. His name is almost never called during the course of a game. The Vikings can spend their money elsewhere.

Dumb. So dumb...

That's like the BEST THING that can happen with a CB. It means he's shutting his man down. QBs don't even throw Rhodes way most of the game.

Rhodes does not contain his side against the run. The Vikings defense has been vulnerable to a good running attack and Rhodes is never involved in containment.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 701
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 5:05:53 PM   
Ricky J

Is it desperation? Maybe. DeFilippo clearly did not have a feel for the game as a playcaller and the Vikings could no longer afford to let him experiment and try and figure it out. Not with what is on the line and what is ahead.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/With-new-coordinator-Kirk-Cousins-unsure-how-much-can-change-126270378/

- sure hope Stefanski got a back for calling plays
Post #: 702
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 5:18:17 PM   
Ricky J

So should this season end without a playoff appearance, what is this franchise to do next? Fans will want everyone fired and for them to blow it up and find a new GM, a new coach and a new quarterback. The fact of the matter is that after five seasons and nothing outside of a few division titles won, Zimmer's time could come to a surprising end. There is a surprise firing every year and this is starting to feel like a candidate for one should they fail to reach their goals.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/With-new-coordinator-Kirk-Cousins-unsure-how-much-can-change-126270378/

(same article - and I can't tell you if this guy knows shit from Cheyenne but I find some of the things he has to say interesting)
Post #: 703
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 5:28:16 PM   
Ricky J

Vikings.com

- we've got this ....
Post #: 704
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 5:29:13 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

He is a ghost on the field. One INT for three yards returned vs. the 49ers in game one. His name is almost never called during the course of a game. The Vikings can spend their money elsewhere.

Dumb. So dumb...

That's like the BEST THING that can happen with a CB. It means he's shutting his man down. QBs don't even throw Rhodes way most of the game.

Rhodes does not contain his side against the run. The Vikings defense has been vulnerable to a good running attack and Rhodes is never involved in containment.

Keep digging that hole. Moving the goalposts isn't helping you at all here....

This is about what I'd expect from you. You have no interest in the Vikings unless they're losing. And your "football takes" make Paul Allen look like a genius...
Post #: 705
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 5:59:36 PM   
Nate

What frustrates me as a fan is how unprepared we seem every week and how rigid we are in our approach. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and all coaches plan for the opposing team during the week. But, it always seems like the other team comes out hitting us where it hurts and we trot out the same game plan each week and then scramble to adapt after it fails.

Some issues are self inflicted, we need continuity in our coaching staff, as the coaching carousel takes it's toll on consistency. However, we also need creativity and the willingness to adapt week to week, sometimes radically if need be. Consistently good teams do this well and can often overcome glaring weaknesses year-to-year.
Post #: 706
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 6:24:30 PM   
Ricky J

Pretty interesting pod cast with Andrew Krammer:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Krammer/status/1072995585408491520

(did you know Kirk is using play action less than all the other teams in the NFL since week 7)

- at the 28 min. mark you will most likely say we should of kept the #17 we had last year then ...

- David F, you'll love what they have to say at the 43:40 min. mark (hint: special teams)

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/12/2018 7:05:39 PM >
Post #: 707
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 6:46:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Last post prior to this was in Game Day during the game, said I couldn't stomach the offense. Nonetheless, the firing was a shock. Flip may have not been ready, but the OL did him no favors. And how much of it is Zim going off with 'My way or the highway'.

Haven't read any posts the past couple of days, will catch up a bit.
Post #: 708
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 6:48:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Have noticed Ian hasn't been around, hope he is ok.

Board is running very smoothly as far as lack of arguments. Not saying the two observations are connected, but that's what I noticed.
Post #: 709
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 6:56:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Question

I stepped away from the TV for 5 minutes after Sea scored to make it 14-0

I come back and it's 21-0

How did they score so quickly?

It was the classic cousins fumble scoop and score we have come to love

My first guess was the patented pick six. Until I seen Cousins had no INT's

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 710
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:11:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I'm also sick of Elflein holding the ball and doing his jackass head nods. And on the 1st quarter delay of game, he held the damn ball for SEVEN seconds. At the two second mark he's talking to the LG! Just an incredibly, horridly, bad f***up.
Post #: 711
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:19:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I feel we can bounce off of this and get these last 3 W's.

I think Thielen's outburst was the nail in Flip's coffin and I thank him for it.

Now we just need to rally as a team and play smart and clean with purpose.

I think we can too.
The performance by our defense was top notch. I can't believe Wilson ever had a worse day?

Any time you allow over 200 yards rushing, your defense is NOT top notch.
Post #: 712
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:21:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I think Thielen's outburst was the nail in Flip's coffin and I thank him for it.

I'm wondering if Zim's primary reason for firing Flip was to give the team (well, the offense) a bump, a morale boost, a shot. That implies Zim was not all that enamored with Flip anyway.
Post #: 713
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:23:52 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dumb. So dumb...

This is about what I'd expect from you. You have no interest in the Vikings unless they're losing. And your "football takes" make Paul Allen look like a genius...

How so? When was the last time Rhodes made a play behind the LOS? When was the last time he made an open field unassisted tackle? I will wait for to find such an occurrence. Anthony Harris has been worlds better at safety against both the run and the pass.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 714
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:25:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Ricky, is there not an extra 'not' in that sentence about what Cris Carter thinks, in regards to Keenum and Cousins?

Read again. Carter did not 'think' that. The author constructed the sentence.
Post #: 715
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:25:39 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I think we can too.
The performance by our defense was top notch. I can't believe Wilson ever had a worse day?

Seem to be giving up a lot of 5-6 yard runs that should be 3 yard runs. Linval getting pushed back a bit more than usual in runs up the gut.
Post #: 716
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:27:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Well outside of a trade Cousins isn't going anywhere but dang he's playing poor.

Should have been gone two years ago: Mike Priefer, Kyle Rudolph, and Laquon Treadwell.

Should be gone by next season: Compton, Elflein, Remmers

Pick one and toss the other: Zimmer, Flip

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DRAFTING CBs in rounds one and two when our Oline can't block the Golden Girls.

Agreed.

I would toss Zimmer right now and give Flip a shot at the last 3 games.

But Flip's lack of creativity in short yardage (motions, picks, exploiting edges while faking up the middle) have me extremely concerned about him as well.

I'm putting lack of creativity on Zim. He said a couple of weeks ago he wanted simple.

If he were calling the plays I would agree.

But he's not.

He wants a solid running attack as it controls the ball and keeps the other team's offense off the field, plus it makes play action work a lot better.

Creativity isn't the problem, it's that we have a sieve for an Oline.

You can scheme to reduce the impact of a weak line. Long developing run plays and passing schemes based on creating angles don't work well with the level of inside penetration our GCG trio allows play after play. If you go to a quick hitting run game, the guards and the center aren't required to hold their blocks as long. If you scheme it right, you can even use the DL's surge up field against them. Then start rolling out in the passing game. It won't turn us into an offensive juggernaut, but it can help mitigate a lot of weaknesses.

THIS!

I second it

Excellent analysis Sweens

I don't think our oline is beyond help. Much of it is what they are good at as a unit vs what we're making them do.

Elf and Easton for example accell pulling and blocking out in space. We now have O'Neal whom is very athletic. Need to use this.

Easton is on IR and then will be a UFA.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/12/2018 7:44:47 PM >
Post #: 717
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:32:42 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I'm torn on this one. De Felippo didn't seem like the problem to me. They were cruising earlier on offense w/ medium to deep passes regularly. Then it just stopped. I don't understand why Zimmer would insist on a forced ground game w/ unknown results vs. what had been working. IMO, he tied Flip's hands by giving an ultimatum that we need to run the ball or else... then gets mad when it doesn't work. I think he wants it both ways; yet I also don't want to lose this defense if he leaves because then we would have to fix both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, this is the defense that Zim built. So in that way, I guess he is a lot like Buddy Ryan (just not as MUCH of an asshole. We have a great defensive coordinator coaching who would never accept a demotion w/ the team he is with. Much like Wade Phillips. Old school, but a great defensive mind as a single skillset.

Two things.

We passed well early as components like the OC and QB were new. Once DCs got video on us, studied, and copied the first team who had success against us, it was game over. And in that mix was Zimmer's ultimatums (I think it was that behind closed doors).

As for Zim being a great DC, I think the game has changed so much that is would more aptly be described as "was" a great DC and now has to prove his defenses can stop the modern day offenses (so far they have not).
Post #: 718
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:40:02 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Preview This preview windows does not show attachments RE: General Vikes Talk

Tom Pelissero 

@TomPelissero 

· 

1h 

Following up on Bobby Wagner field-goal block flap from Monday: yes, the competition committee says that was leverage and should’ve been a foul. However, no appetite to let New York command center weigh in on flag being picked up. Too many ramifications with changing those calls 

- this could mean the difference between a five or a six seed 
-- this could be the difference between playing in Texas or Chicago for the playoffs 
--- or it could mean Jack schitt

For any seeding, I am inclined to blaming the Vikings getting blown out against Buffalo at home more than the refs in Seattle.
Post #: 719
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:43:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dumb. So dumb...

How so? When was the last time Rhodes made a play behind the LOS? When was the last time he made an open field unassisted tackle? I will wait for to find such an occurrence. Anthony Harris has been worlds better at safety against both the run and the pass.

Do you know the difference in responsibilities between a #1 CB and a safety?

You don't want the guy defending the other team's best WR to leave him alone so he can run blitz instead...

You're worse than Zimmer if you think its more important in today's game for CBs to be involved in run support instead of coverage.
Post #: 720
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:44:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think we can too.

Seem to be giving up a lot of 5-6 yard runs that should be 3 yard runs. Linval getting pushed back a bit more than usual in runs up the gut.

That has happened a lot this season.
Post #: 721
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 7:52:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dumb. So dumb...

Do you know the difference in responsibilities between a #1 CB and a safety?

You don't want the guy defending the other team's best WR to leave him alone so he can run blitz instead...

You're worse than Zimmer if you think its more important in today's game for CBs to be involved in run support instead of coverage.

Speaking of today's game, let's not forget Bronco Nagurski - two way player who saves a roster spot, plays for about $1500 a year, doesn't need pads so less equipment to buy, great teammate at the local watering holes. We need him bad.
Post #: 722
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/12/2018 9:29:55 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

Have noticed Ian hasn't been around, hope he is ok.

Board is running very smoothly as far as lack of arguments. Not saying the two observations are connected, but that's what I noticed.

I'm fine. Just hard to be around this place when most everyone is just ultra negative. Honestly, I have enough problems in my life to come here and be under another type of gray cloud. But that's just me.

You guys do you.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 723
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 12:56:43 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I'm wondering if Zim's primary reason for firing Flip was to give the team (well, the offense) a bump, a morale boost, a shot. That implies Zim was not all that enamored with Flip anyway.

i think it will give the team a psychological boost - 'hey, we cost flip his job because we played like pussies - let's bust some ass!'....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 724
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 5:32:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

Getting Waynes and Morgan back will really help.

Beebe been out for a long time.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 725
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode