Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 7:06:05 AM   
Ricky J

Vikings Territory

@vikingterritory
8h8 hours ago
More
With Kevin Stefanski as OC, Maybe Now the #Vikings Will Run the Ball https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/opinion/with-kevin-stefanski-as-oc-maybe-now-the-vikings-will-run-the-ball

Maybe now?

I think if we were able to run the ball maybe we would of done it by now ... that being said is it going to matter if he's got Zimmer in his head negatively influencing how he calls a game?

The stats after game 7 are pretty crazy about how much we ran the ball at the beginning of games in scripted plays. And not so much after.

I hope our boy Kevin works out. I"m as interested as ever. Probably as pessimistic as ever, too (with regards to this team and leadership as I've been in quite some time). On paper kept I looking at how good our defensive players were, how good AT, SD and DC were and all that time totally ignored how below avg. our line was going to be (as well as giving Treadwell ...again).

Should make the playoffs, though. Love to get one and then see what happens after that ....
Post #: 726
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 7:37:01 AM   
ratoppenheimer

I think we need to play a lot less shotgun...run and play action out of the I formation...best for developing a running game for this team....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 727
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 7:52:17 AM   
SteveR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I feel we can bounce off of this and get these last 3 W's.

I think Thielen's outburst was the nail in Flip's coffin and I thank him for it.

Now we just need to rally as a team and play smart and clean with purpose.

I'm wondering if Zim's primary reason for firing Flip was to give the team (well, the offense) a bump, a morale boost, a shot. That implies Zim was not all that enamored with Flip anyway.

I'm afraid it is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. On the plus side, it makes next game pretty interesting, and it will shed some light on how much of a problem Zimmer is or is not. The schedule might skew things a bit, though. We get the Dolphins at home, then the Lions and maybe a resting Bears squad at home, so we might get some advantages in that department.

Regardless, I have no idea who to pick for a winner on Sunday. This is about as blank as I've been on any game this season.
Post #: 728
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 8:00:21 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

Have noticed Ian hasn't been around, hope he is ok.

Board is running very smoothly as far as lack of arguments. Not saying the two observations are connected, but that's what I noticed.

I'm fine. Just hard to be around this place when most everyone is just ultra negative. Honestly, I have enough problems in my life to come here and be under another type of gray cloud. But that's just me.

You guys do you.

And what exactly should the tone of the forum be for a team that haf such a terrible offense that they felt compelled to fire their OC after 13 games into his tenure?

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 729
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 8:26:21 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Board is running very smoothly as far as lack of arguments. Not saying the two observations are connected, but that's what I noticed.

I'm fine. Just hard to be around this place when most everyone is just ultra negative. Honestly, I have enough problems in my life to come here and be under another type of gray cloud. But that's just me.

You guys do you.

And what exactly should the tone of the forum be for a team that haf such a terrible offense that they felt compelled to fire their OC after 13 games into his tenure?

You wouldn't understand. Some fans have a little more complexity than simply slapping around 'their' team regardless of the situation.
Post #: 730
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 8:49:48 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25507705/2019-nfl-draft-nuggets-all-32-teams-need-know#min

Minnesota Vikings (6-6-1)
Projected pick: No. 22

It goes without saying that the Vikings need to dedicate a heavy dose of draft capital to fixing the offensive line. It was an issue that wasn't addressed until the second round in 2018, and rookie right tackle Brian O'Neill is playing much earlier than anyone expected. Upgrading their interior spots is imperative, given how overmatched Tom Compton has been at left guard, though the Vikings hope they'll get Nick Easton back in 2019 after neck surgery ended his season in training camp. Minnesota could elect to move on from Mike Remmers, who was paid well to be the Vikings' right tackle before moving inside to right guard where he has struggled. With the potential for departures and a need to improve across the board, it's crucial for the Vikings to attempt to do something in free agency -- even though their current cap structure will limit paying big bucks for a marquee offensive lineman -- and most certainly in the draft. -- Courtney Cronin

Not sure what Courtney is talking about. Once we dump Remmers, Barr, Treadwell and Sendejo, and gain the Floyd money we'll have $27 million to play with. Throw in Rudolph and we're close to $35 million and that's without restructures and shedding more dead weight. No reason we can't sign top FA guards. For example:

out:
Remmers....$4.5m
Barr....$0...no '19 contract
Treadwell...$0 - his money is guaranteed
Sendejo....$5.5m
Rudolph....$7.6m

in:
(FA) Rodger Saffold (G) ($12.5 mil)
(FA) Ben Garland (G) ($6 mil)
(FA) Nick Easton (vet minimum deal)

(FA) Jared Cook (TE) ($7 mil)

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

your 'out' money....$17.6m

your 'in' money....($25.5m)

'19 draft pool....($5m)

existing '19 cap space....$9.1m

your present balance of '19 cap space....($3.8m)

you need to save more money

what about:
grifffen....$10.7 - or restructure
waynes....$9m - or extend

things to consider:
linebacker - we need a starting linebacker to replace barr - wilson?
what about sheldon richardson?

While Barr may be a FA next year, we still realize a "savings" of $10MM+ by not having to pay him next year. Like I said, there's more dead weight and restructured deals to be done, but my point was that by just dumping a handful of players we can address our offensive line issues once and for all. In a perfect world, we're able to do it while still retaining a guy like Richardson, but if its a choice between putting together a good to great oline, versus signing Richardson or Tom Johnson, I'm taking the oline.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 731
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 8:53:41 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Pretty interesting pod cast with Andrew Krammer:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Krammer/status/1072995585408491520

(did you know Kirk is using play action less than all the other teams in the NFL since week 7)

- at the 28 min. mark you will most likely say we should of kept the #17 we had last year then ...

- David F, you'll love what they have to say at the 43:40 min. mark (hint: special teams)

That's what is totally bonkers and inexcusable by DeFillipo. Cousins excelled at play action last year, and the Vikings used it to great affect with Keenum. For Flip not to use play action as a core part of his offense made absolutely no sense.

Post #: 732
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 8:55:12 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveR

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I feel we can bounce off of this and get these last 3 W's.

I think Thielen's outburst was the nail in Flip's coffin and I thank him for it.

Now we just need to rally as a team and play smart and clean with purpose.

I'm wondering if Zim's primary reason for firing Flip was to give the team (well, the offense) a bump, a morale boost, a shot. That implies Zim was not all that enamored with Flip anyway.

I'm afraid it is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. On the plus side, it makes next game pretty interesting, and it will shed some light on how much of a problem Zimmer is or is not. The schedule might skew things a bit, though. We get the Dolphins at home, then the Lions and maybe a resting Bears squad at home, so we might get some advantages in that department.

Regardless, I have no idea who to pick for a winner on Sunday. This is about as blank as I've been on any game this season.

I think a reasonable arguement can be made for each of the following:
1. Fire Zimm, he has had a good chance and the team is now getting worse.
2. Fire Speilman, he has ignored the OLine so many times in FA and the draft he just doesn't get it.
3. Cousins was a mistake, can't win the big one or carry a team.
4. Takes a while to jell a new QB.
5. Record could be a lot better with some luck.

I have to trust that the Wilfs have a better idea then I do if Zimm has lost the team.

My choice is to do nothing more and give everybody one more year. I would be fine with Speilman getting canned but likely that means you are also giving Zimm a 12 month notice that he is done. Might as well do nothing and can them both if next year is more of the same.

Wilfs should just stress to Speilman and Zimm how important 2019 will be for their longevity in the Vikings organization and hopefully they know what that means and act accordingly.
Post #: 733
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 9:01:05 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

You guys do you.

The tone can be whatever you want it to be. However, the overall tone has been negative since before the season started and has only grown worse.

I get that this fan base is long suffering and wants to win (and deserves to). I also get that most fans have their own ideas on how the team should go about winning and have little patience for extended losing (in this case, any one game losing streak will suffice). But, I also whole heartedly believe that losing breeds a loser's mentality, which is definitely true of this fan base.

At 27 or so, when I first discovered the Strib, it was great, debating and interacting with fiery passion. At 42, married wth two kids (and all the drama that comes with that), hellacious responsibilities at work, etc., etc., etc., I no longer put energy into people and things that dont uplift me. That includes online conversations with people that emphatically think opposite of me.

I love the Vikings and I generally and genuinely love most of the fan base. But, I'm neither going to participate in nor watch a pity party. Not me. Not now. Not happening.

So, again, you guys do you. I'll always check in and see what's happening, but in this very moment, that's all I got.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 734
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 9:59:03 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25507705/2019-nfl-draft-nuggets-all-32-teams-need-know#min

It goes without saying that the Vikings need to dedicate a heavy dose of draft capital to fixing the offensive line. It was an issue that wasn't addressed until the second round in 2018, and rookie right tackle Brian O'Neill is playing much earlier than anyone expected. Upgrading their interior spots is imperative, given how overmatched Tom Compton has been at left guard, though the Vikings hope they'll get Nick Easton back in 2019 after neck surgery ended his season in training camp. Minnesota could elect to move on from Mike Remmers, who was paid well to be the Vikings' right tackle before moving inside to right guard where he has struggled. With the potential for departures and a need to improve across the board, it's crucial for the Vikings to attempt to do something in free agency -- even though their current cap structure will limit paying big bucks for a marquee offensive lineman -- and most certainly in the draft. -- Courtney Cronin

Not sure what Courtney is talking about. Once we dump Remmers, Barr, Treadwell and Sendejo, and gain the Floyd money we'll have $27 million to play with. Throw in Rudolph and we're close to $35 million and that's without restructures and shedding more dead weight. No reason we can't sign top FA guards. For example:

out:
Remmers....$4.5m
Sendejo....$5.5m
Rudolph....$7.6m

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

'19 draft pool....($5m)

what about:

things to consider:

While Barr may be a FA next year, we still realize a "savings" of $10MM+ by not having to pay him next year. Like I said, there's more dead weight and restructured deals to be done, but my point was that by just dumping a handful of players we can address our offensive line issues once and for all. In a perfect world, we're able to do it while still retaining a guy like Richardson, but if its a choice between putting together a good to great oline, versus signing Richardson or Tom Johnson, I'm taking the oline.

According to Sportrac, we only have about 9 million under the cap next year. That includes the project increase of the cap, and doesn't include our own FA's like Barr, Richardson, Harris, Murray, Johnson, Easton, our P, our K, etc... Not signing Barr doesn't give us an extra $10 mil toward that total of 9 mil that we already have. So everyone who is signed plus dead cap money is already 181 million and the cap is project at 190. We have the 3rd least amount of cap space for next year. Philadelphia and Jacksonville are over the cap by 12 and 13 million respectively.

We do have candidates to free up cap space.
Sendejo is a no-brainer. 5.5 million.
Rudolph a great guy but too expensive for what he does 7.625
Waynes melon issues 9
Griffen should be negotiated down or cut, up to 10.7
Remmers 4.5
Cutting Treadwell doesn't save any money, just opens a roster spot.

If we cut those 5, we save 37.325 million roughly. I'd be OK with keeping Rudolph and Griff and a reduced price tag for 1 more year.

Of our own FA's I'd like to keep Richardson and Harris if possible, Johnson wouldn't be bad either if reasonable. Barr and Murray can walk.

We do have some cap issues to deal with, time for Rob Brzezinski to work some magic.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 12/13/2018 10:01:30 AM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 735
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 11:52:04 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You guys do you.

The tone can be whatever you want it to be. However, the overall tone has been negative since before the season started and has only grown worse.

I get that this fan base is long suffering and wants to win (and deserves to). I also get that most fans have their own ideas on how the team should go about winning and have little patience for extended losing (in this case, any one game losing streak will suffice). But, I also whole heartedly believe that losing breeds a loser's mentality, which is definitely true of this fan base.

At 27 or so, when I first discovered the Strib, it was great, debating and interacting with fiery passion. At 42, married wth two kids (and all the drama that comes with that), hellacious responsibilities at work, etc., etc., etc., I no longer put energy into people and things that dont uplift me. That includes online conversations with people that emphatically think opposite of me.

I love the Vikings and I generally and genuinely love most of the fan base. But, I'm neither going to participate in nor watch a pity party. Not me. Not now. Not happening.

So, again, you guys do you. I'll always check in and see what's happening, but in this very moment, that's all I got.

Fair enough. Hope your family is well and Merry Christmas!

Post #: 736
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 12:01:22 PM   
kevinemmer

This was probably noted in GD Thread, but I didn't go thru it all.

If Kendricks doesn't bobble that Wilson INT at the end of the half, there's a good chance he returns it for 6.

Potential game changer (like the nefarious Kick Block).

So close, but not quite.

Too bad we haven't been good enough to overcome these types of "close, but no cigar" moments.

Maybe Stefanski will be the spark we've needed.
Post #: 737
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 12:12:23 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

out:
Remmers....$4.5m
Sendejo....$5.5m
Rudolph....$7.6m

in:

draft (rounds 1-3):
Dalton Risner (T)
Beau Benzschawel (G)
Caleb Wilson (TE)

Win Superbowl!

'19 draft pool....($5m)

what about:

things to consider:

According to Sportrac, we only have about 9 million under the cap next year. That includes the project increase of the cap, and doesn't include our own FA's like Barr, Richardson, Harris, Murray, Johnson, Easton, our P, our K, etc... Not signing Barr doesn't give us an extra $10 mil toward that total of 9 mil that we already have. So everyone who is signed plus dead cap money is already 181 million and the cap is project at 190. We have the 3rd least amount of cap space for next year. Philadelphia and Jacksonville are over the cap by 12 and 13 million respectively.

We do have candidates to free up cap space.
Sendejo is a no-brainer. 5.5 million.
Rudolph a great guy but too expensive for what he does 7.625
Waynes melon issues 9
Griffen should be negotiated down or cut, up to 10.7
Remmers 4.5
Cutting Treadwell doesn't save any money, just opens a roster spot.

If we cut those 5, we save 37.325 million roughly. I'd be OK with keeping Rudolph and Griff and a reduced price tag for 1 more year.

Of our own FA's I'd like to keep Richardson and Harris if possible, Johnson wouldn't be bad either if reasonable. Barr and Murray can walk.

We do have some cap issues to deal with, time for Rob Brzezinski to work some magic.

I don't see any purpose in keeping Rudolph at any price and same for Griffen. They are both well past their prime. There are certain players who provide value well into their 30's. Brian Robison was one such player. Terence Newman was another. These players are dead weight. Losing teams keep players like that on their roster. No time for being sentimental. Keep talent, find talent, part with mediocrity.

Post #: 738
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 12:22:20 PM   
Ricky J

VikingUpdate.com

@VikingUpdate

·

1h

Brett Favre gave his stamp of approval to new #Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, calling him "one of those bright young minds" from when Favre was with the Vikings. More from Favre here.

--------------------,---
Post #: 739
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 1:13:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Pretty interesting pod cast with Andrew Krammer:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Krammer/status/1072995585408491520

(did you know Kirk is using play action less than all the other teams in the NFL since week 7)

- at the 28 min. mark you will most likely say we should of kept the #17 we had last year then ...

- David F, you'll love what they have to say at the 43:40 min. mark (hint: special teams)

That's what is totally bonkers and inexcusable by DeFillipo. Cousins excelled at play action last year, and the Vikings used it to great affect with Keenum. For Flip not to use play action as a core part of his offense made absolutely no sense.

It's a big reason, I think, that Zimmer wants to run the ball more. He recognizes that play action is only effective if your running game is effective. and Cousins is really good at play action.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 740
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 2:14:55 PM   
marty

That is cool Ian, I get where you are coming from. There gets to be a little too much negativity in the game day thread, it gets a little annoying, and I probably don't get as easily annoyed, or annoyed to the extent others might.

But I am just as guilty myself of getting negative, I don't like Priefer still around, and wish Cousins were quicker, and more clutch. And sometimes you can get drawn in with negativity, pulled right into it.

I will work on being more positive.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 741
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 2:54:36 PM   
The Happy Norseman

Was watching ESPN yesterday and the talking heads had an interesting take on why Flip and Zim couldn’t mesh. They said that one factor could have been the fact that Flip was being mentioned as a possible head coach next year. Everyone is looking for the next Sean McVey, a young offensive guru. So it was in Flips interest to show off his offensive genius by passing a ton and calling plays that at least seemed innovative, which is not what the team needed or Zim wanted.

Post #: 742
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 2:55:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Do you know the story of Damn Yankees where the Washington Senators fan makes a deal with the Devil to get his team to win a championship?

I made a deal with God. If it works and the Vikings win the Super Bowl, just remember this. (and I have to do something that's really hard for me to do) If it doesn't work, forget it. Bottom line: this was supposed to be THE YEAR. It's still not impossible.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 743
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 3:04:38 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Do you know the story of Damn Yankees where the Washington Senators fan makes a deal with the Devil to get his team to win a championship?

I made a deal with God. If it works and the Vikings win the Super Bowl, just remember this. (and I have to do something that's really hard for me to do) If it doesn't work, forget it. Bottom line: this was supposed to be THE YEAR. It's still not impossible.

I'm curious to know what the hard thing for you to do is Now.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 744
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 3:40:27 PM   
Ricky J

Luke Inman

@Luke_Spinman

·

2h

Vikes Mike Priefer said Blair Walsh when trying to get “fit” lost too much weight and in turn lost too much strength.. when that happened Walsh was forced to change his approach/technique and struggled from there.. Priefer noted it was something he tried to stop Walsh from doing

-------------

This seems very odd to me ....
Post #: 745
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 3:51:56 PM   
TJSweens

So Blair Walsh screwed himself over by getting in too good a shape?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 746
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 4:53:05 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

So Blair Walsh screwed himself over by getting in too good a shape?

Guess I am going to be the greatest kicker of all time, apparently

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 747
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 4:58:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Luke Inman

@Luke_Spinman

·

2h

Vikes Mike Priefer said Blair Walsh when trying to get “fit” lost too much weight and in turn lost too much strength.. when that happened Walsh was forced to change his approach/technique and struggled from there.. Priefer noted it was something he tried to stop Walsh from doing

-------------

This seems very odd to me ....

Wow. Preiffer does NOT come off well - and in his own words...

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Mike-Priefer-reveals-his-take-on-Vikings-past-kicker-struggles-126324206/
Post #: 748
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 5:07:08 PM   
Ricky J

No he doesnt
I was just going to post that link
Post #: 749
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/13/2018 5:12:40 PM   
David Levine

-Walsh got in too good of shape to be effective.
-If you need help with the mental part of kicking, you should go elsewhere.
-He basically took credit for Carlson’s success in Oakland because he fixed his mechanics...
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode