Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  301 302 [303] 304 305   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:37:13 PM   
Bill Jandro

Zim is definitely showing a lot of impatience which doesn't bode well for the job.

Here we thought our kicking woes were a Priefer problem but clearly it's a Zim problem.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:40:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We need to start focusing on the Atlanta Falcons pretty soon. I hear they are going to be a tough opponent. I wonder if they are healthy. I guess we're a couple three days from getting our first legitimate injury reports. I'm interested to know how O'Neil is doing. I believe he is the only starter on the mend.

I think the Vikings are a tough matchup for the Falcons because of Rhodes. He likes the challenge of taking out a star receiver. The Falcons have one or two other d*** good receivers, though and I'm hoping that Rhodes is close to 100%, as well.

https://www.vikings.com/news/early-look-vikings-vs-falcons

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:40:57 PM   
Bill Jandro

Meanwhile the Texans, after seeing how awful Matt Kalil is in TC and PS cut his ass and sent two number ones and a two to the Fish for Laremy Tunsil

Post #: 7553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:42:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

We need to start focusing on the Atlanta Falcons pretty soon. I hear they are going to be a tough opponent. I wonder if they are healthy. I guess we're a couple three days from getting our first legitimate injury reports. I'm interested to know how O'Neil is doing. I believe he is the only starter on the mend.

I think the Vikings are a tough matchup for the Falcons because of Rhodes. He likes the challenge of taking out a star receiver. The Falcons have one or two other d*** good receivers, though and I'm hoping that Rhodes is close to 100%, as well.

https://www.vikings.com/news/early-look-vikings-vs-falcons

Rhodes has owned Julio Jones in the past. Hope it stays thay way.

Post #: 7554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:43:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Meanwhile the Texans, after seeing how awful Matt Kalil is in TC and PS cut his ass and sent two number ones and a two to the Fish for Laremy Tunsil

Without Andrew Luck playing for the Colts the Texans must be smelling a conference championship and want to win now. That's what I'm hearing.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 2:51:47 PM   
Ragnarök

Zimmer shows flashes of being a dictator or megalomaniac type personality in his term as HC... He has made knee jerk decisions without total concern for overall betterment of team or game plan.

He does remind me very much of Col Klink Childress in some of his tendencies and my way or be damned shit...

Kirk is an odd bird... Zimmer is a staunch old school thinker...

Should be an interesting season with one of two results, greatness or total unprescedented flame out which will make Zimms red face and Kirk's childish outbursts with his WRs (Thielen) look mild...

In the end Zimmers legacy will be a great mind and leader of D but a man who was poor at managing high pressure skill positions and their mindset of players psyche like Kickers and QBs as well as not being a great student of the game and piss poor at real game time management and making real time adjustments on all sides of play.
Post #: 7556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:01:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I sent this question to Wobby and I didn't realize until he replied to me yesterday that he answered my question at his mailbag report. Here was the question:

The training regimen at the NFL level has to be a big step forward for players who were student athletes and had to worry about a lot of things besides football. I was wondering if any of the second- or third-year players specifically stand out in your eyes as looking a lot bigger and/or stronger as a result.

And here was his answer:

I won’t comment on the size or strength of players, but let’s point out a couple second-year and third-year players who are interesting. For second-year players, it’s two defensive linemen who I’m anticipating will demonstrate big jumps – Jalyn Holmes and Hercules Mata’afa. They looked good this spring in the offseason program but in training camp this summer they’ll have pads on and I think they’ll continue to shine in that environment. A third-year player to watch is defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson, who has trained at both three technique and nose tackle with the Vikings and who will be in a fierce competition with the two aforementioned defensive linemen as well as others for roster spots and playing time.

For what it's worth all three of the players that he talked about made the 53 man roster. I was surprised about Johnson making it and I was even more surprised that the team kept 6 defensive tackles. I guess the team likes them all.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/2/2019 3:04:13 PM >

Post #: 7557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:06:17 PM   
Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02/josh-doctson-signs-with-vikings/

Theres your Treadwell for Doctson trade... Seemed we always wanted to draft Josh over Tread... didnt Doctson even wear a purple tie on draft day when he was taken one spot ahead of Tread by Skins?

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 9/2/2019 3:15:35 PM >
Post #: 7558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:19:45 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02/josh-doctson-signs-with-vikings/

Theres your Treadwell for Doctson trade... Seemed we always wanted to draft Josh over Tread... didnt Doctson even wear a purple tie on draft day when he was taken one spot ahead of Tread by Skins?

Who'd we drop to make a roster spot for Dachshund?
Post #: 7559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:21:52 PM   
ratoppenheimer

somehow this reeks of the mike wallace signing....

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Vikings have agreed to terms with Josh Doctson, as @AdamSchefter said. Doctson and Treadwell were the two receivers they spent the most time with before the 2016 draft; after letting Treadwell go, they've got the other receiver they seemed interested in that year.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/2/2019 3:29:28 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:22:56 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Sean Borman@SeanBormanNFL
Mike Zimmer on the #Vikings releasing QB Kyle Sloter:

“Well it was basically we felt like Sean Mannion did a nice job in the preseason. Part of its about the quarterback room - about being able to do the things that the backup quarterback needs to do - so that was it.”

BS

Mannion was better at stroking Kirk Cousins (ego) in the QB room?

It came down to keeping Kirk comfy without a back up QB in background that fans were starting to voice their like for. Zimm hated all the questions and media hype Sloter was generating...

No one wants to see Mannion play, no matter how badly Kirk wilts or flames out in big games... Sloter was becoming an annoyance for Zimm and he stopped it all before it became an issue in season... Problem solved Zimms way... - so that was it...

I think there is truth in that Sloter might not have been able to do the small nuances that are very important in the grand scheme.

I also think there is some truth to your theory regarding Zim and the media regarding Sloter.

What does Cousins need in the QB room? Seriously. That'd be like the Patriots keeping Hoyer over their young guy.

If Cousins needs help in the QB room, then my opinion of him just dropped a s*** ton.

I think Sloter saying he'd let his play do the talking and that he can't show it in practice cuz he didn't get reps ended up being the nails in the coffin.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 7561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:35:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

somehow this reeks of the mike wallace signing....

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Vikings have agreed to terms with Josh Doctson, as @AdamSchefter said. Doctson and Treadwell were the two receivers they spent the most time with before the 2016 draft; after letting Treadwell go, they've got the other receiver they seemed interested in that year.

Said Doctson, "Yeah, I've picked up the system quickly. It's about the same as in Washington with a couple of wrinkles. Plus Cousins and I have a history. I'm pretty much ready to go."
Post #: 7562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:42:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

“Well it was basically we felt like Sean Mannion did a nice job in the preseason. Part of its about the quarterback room - about being able to do the things that the backup quarterback needs to do - so that was it.”

BS

It came down to keeping Kirk comfy without a back up QB in background that fans were starting to voice their like for. Zimm hated all the questions and media hype Sloter was generating...

No one wants to see Mannion play, no matter how badly Kirk wilts or flames out in big games... Sloter was becoming an annoyance for Zimm and he stopped it all before it became an issue in season... Problem solved Zimms way... - so that was it...

I think there is truth in that Sloter might not have been able to do the small nuances that are very important in the grand scheme.

I also think there is some truth to your theory regarding Zim and the media regarding Sloter.

I will totally buy that Sloter was raw talent and had much to learn and develop as he matured at his position. That is why we invested the money and time we did into him and we all saw in his brief preseason play flashes of what he possessed...

Zimm is a lame duck coach with is entire future tied to where Kirk Cousins can take this team. There was no long term benefits to grooming Sloter for Zimm, only the headache of percieved media and fans clamoring for what a very raw a QB could do in a time where only thing the HC is worried about is getting returns out of Cousins to save his ass...

Sloter was expendable in Zimms system but was that the best move for future of the Vikings as a franchise?

I don't think "lame duck" means what you think it means.
Post #: 7563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:46:45 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BS

I will totally buy that Sloter was raw talent and had much to learn and develop as he matured at his position. That is why we invested the money and time we did into him and we all saw in his brief preseason play flashes of what he possessed...

Zimm is a lame duck coach with is entire future tied to where Kirk Cousins can take this team. There was no long term benefits to grooming Sloter for Zimm, only the headache of percieved media and fans clamoring for what a very raw a QB could do in a time where only thing the HC is worried about is getting returns out of Cousins to save his ass...

Sloter was expendable in Zimms system but was that the best move for future of the Vikings as a franchise?

What is Lame Duck Coach?
A term used to describe a head coach who is in the last year of their contract, or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being re-signed. Lame duck coaches generally know their tenure is coming to an end and their firing rarely comes as a surprise.

Post #: 7564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:53:10 PM   
thebigo

So what is Doctson's deal? The Redskins have a lot of nothing at WR. Almost like they are competing with Miami for 1st overall pick in 2020. AD is going to need a lot more than 200 yards against us.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 9/2/2019 3:54:45 PM >
Post #: 7565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:54:40 PM   
Ricky J

Seems like many believe we just aint got what it takes to win.

Didn't even take an 0-2 start to get it out of many, either

-what's the freekin' point if you can't give a team with as much talent on it as the Vikings a few weeks before you cast the dark cloud upon us all?
Post #: 7566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:55:14 PM   
ratoppenheimer

before signing doctson and colquitt spotrac has us at $2.8m under the cap....

Post #: 7567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:57:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BS

What is Lame Duck Coach?
A term used to describe a head coach who is in the last year of their contract, or nearing the end of a season that will likely result in them not being re-signed. Lame duck coaches generally know their tenure is coming to an end and their firing rarely comes as a surprise.

Good, now you know.
Post #: 7568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:58:29 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BS

What is Lame Duck Coach?

at this point in time, that is not mike zimmer....

Post #: 7569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:00:30 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

-what's the freekin' point if you can't give a team with as much talent on it as the Vikings a few weeks before you cast the dark cloud upon us all?

i don't think that's true...it's just that the non-believers are a little louder than everyone else....

Post #: 7570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:07:33 PM   
ratoppenheimer

yesterday....

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
New punter Britton Colquitt on Chad Beebe having been doing some holding for the #Vikings: "I'm going to confidently say I'm better than him at that.''

today....

#Vikings punter Britton Colquitt said he mentioned to Chad Beebe today no offense his comment on being a better holder. "He was like, 'Yeah, you should be. That's your job.' It's like him saying, 'I'm a better receiver than Colquitt,' even though I did a little bit in my day.''

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/2/2019 4:11:37 PM >

Post #: 7571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:11:54 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

i don't think that's true...it's just that the non-believers are a little louder than everyone else....

Youre probably right
- i need to adjust my hearing
Post #: 7572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:14:44 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Former #Vikings QB Kyle Sloter's practice squad salary with Arizona is for the minimum of $8,000 a week. He got $20,000 a week when first joined Vikings practice squad in 2017. But in Arizona it's more about it's a good situation for Sloter. Cardinals have 2 QBs on 53-man roster.

Post #: 7573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:30:08 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BS

What is Lame Duck Coach?

at this point in time, that is not mike zimmer....

8-8 or 9-7. And no play off with this level of talent and it sure as $&#@& will apply...

Tattoo it on your neck.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 9/2/2019 4:31:49 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:44:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

Can you win now with Sloter? 63 year old coach who cares zero about QBOTF....that is Spielman's job and if you want to be pissed at someone about Sloter being gone it is Spielman.....he is the one that needs to override that decision. Also Kubiak signed on to help win now...not in 4-5 years. GMs worry about 3 years down the road not coaches.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/2/2019 4:46:25 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7575
Page:   <<   < prev  301 302 [303] 304 305   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  301 302 [303] 304 305   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode