Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 9:39:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

Ben Goessling
‏Verified account @GoesslingStrib
2h2 hours ago

Ben Goessling Retweeted Andrew Krammer

For those scoring at home, that's four punters, four kickers, four(ish, counting Shaun Hill) starting QBs and four offensive coordinators in four years.

oof.
Post #: 7501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 10:27:31 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Or is that "one less load on Zimmers mind."?

Zimmer dropped a load?
Post #: 7502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/1/2019 11:59:22 PM   
Born2Blitz

FWIW...Even though we only kept 4 receivers, having Irv Smith lining up in multiple formations is like having a 5th receiver, isn’t it?

skol...Skol...SKol..SKOl.....SKOL
Post #: 7503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 12:16:49 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Ben Goessling
‏Verified account @GoesslingStrib
2h2 hours ago

Ben Goessling Retweeted Andrew Krammer

For those scoring at home, that's four punters, four kickers, four(ish, counting Shaun Hill) starting QBs and four offensive coordinators in four years.

oof.

I'm sure there is a positive in there, right?
Post #: 7504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 12:22:08 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I'm hopeful for Blasingame, that he can bring an equal set of blocking skills vs Ham and an extra set of "skill position" skills that actually would provide a threat that opposing defenses would have to consider.

That would be great.

A FB that can block, pass protect, catch the ball and he's not incredibly slow. A player that defenses have to account for, from a position that isn't usually an offensive threat.
Post #: 7505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 12:26:31 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Our practice squad is complete now with one more player who the Vikings got to see in action directly in their last preseason game. In fact, he was perfect in the preseason. (3 for 3)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/1/20844011/minnesota-vikings-final-practice-squad-spot-chase-mclaughlin-buffalo-bills

Wow. Has there ever been a team who spent so much effort screwing around with the special teams unit, only to end up sucking worse than when they started screwing around?

Maybe we should have slowed down trying to fix things. How do you know we will suck worse? Is that your prediction this season for our special teams unit?

We got the right result personnel wise, we just took a strange path to get there.
Post #: 7506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 12:38:38 AM   
JT2

I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody in here was claiming that Sloter is great. I do think a lot of people clearly saw him with a higher ceiling than Mannion.

It would be nice to see us actually develop a young(ish) QB. When was the last time we did that? And, what's the downside if Sloter doesn't develop? Is it worse than Treadwell not developing? Small investment, little risk, with hope for big reward.
Post #: 7507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 12:56:33 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody in here was claiming that Sloter is great. I do think a lot of people clearly saw him with a higher ceiling than Mannion.

It would be nice to see us actually develop a young(ish) QB. When was the last time we did that? And, what's the downside if Sloter doesn't develop? Is it worse than Treadwell not developing? Small investment, little risk, with hope for big reward.

Good point about developing QB's. I am hoping that we are starting that with Browning now, but he was a FA, so maybe not quite what we had in mind.
Post #: 7508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 1:00:17 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our practice squad is complete now with one more player who the Vikings got to see in action directly in their last preseason game. In fact, he was perfect in the preseason. (3 for 3)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/1/20844011/minnesota-vikings-final-practice-squad-spot-chase-mclaughlin-buffalo-bills

Wow. Has there ever been a team who spent so much effort screwing around with the special teams unit, only to end up sucking worse than when they started screwing around?

Maybe we should have slowed down trying to fix things. How do you know we will suck worse? Is that your prediction this season for our special teams unit?

We got the right result personnel wise, we just took a strange path to get there.

Very strange, yes. Still not sure the ship is righted but going the veteran route (except Cutting) looks steadier than the last 3-4 years.
Post #: 7509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 1:18:43 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very strange, yes. Still not sure the ship is righted but going the veteran route (except Cutting) looks steadier than the last 3-4 years.

Missed FG's suck, but playing for the FG sucks worse.
Post #: 7510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 1:37:16 AM   
JT2

Here's what I don't get; you have a good defense. You spent a great deal of resources building that defense. You have a coach that has been really good developing and coaching his defense. Wouldn't that be exactly the right time to let the offense fly? God forbid, maybe take some risks?

It would be so great to unleash the offense, knowing our defense is good enough to mitigate offensive mistakes. Imagine a high flying offense, with a good defense.

Maybe it's just me, but having a good defense should allow you to be extra aggressive on O.

You want to play that conservative game, and keep it close? Almost every team in the NFL can move the ball down the field in the last 3 minutes of a close game. Hell, even some bad offenses can do it. It would be nice to have more than a 3 or 8 point lead.

Take advantage of your good defense by being aggressive on offense. Put 'em away early. Make it no contest.

Zimmer thinks losing 0-3 is a tie. I'm guessing he would also not like winning 42-35. It's 2019, sometimes you have to get 42 to win.

If my defense was great, my offense would be wide open, aggressive, scary.
Post #: 7511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 1:54:12 AM   
JT2

I do not like our current WR situation. We have two great ones, then what?

What happens if Thielen or Diggs miss some time? No worries, we'll run 'em to death.

The Treadwell mistake had ramifications that we are now realizing. We literally do not have a NFL quality #3 on our roster. BTW, should be a great gig. Diggs and Thielen drawing all the coverage, just be average, you could shine.

Maybe we are in the market for another blocking TE
Post #: 7512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 3:59:54 AM   
ratoppenheimer

kirk cousins is our quarterback, not patrick mahomes...cousins is one the best play action qb's in the league, so that's the way we designed or offense...it might not be the high-flying offense that many teams are going with, but with our o-line, cousins, cook and coaches it seems like the easiest and quickest way to become competitive....

if cook can stay healthy, he's very capable of having a 1,500 yard running season - i think he has great vision and quickness that will translate well in the design of our offense....

beebe strikes me as a player that doesn't like contact, or running with the ball...he's good at getting separation, so he likes to find some open space and then sitdown on a pass and drop to the gound...he figures he'll get the first down and that's all that should be expected of him...in preseason beebe wasn't getting the zone coverage he likes, so our qb's were throwing the ball out in front of him, expecting him to catch it on the run...but that's not what he wanted...beebe just wants to find a nice comfortable spot to stop - catch the ball - drop to the ground - move the chains....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:31:00 AM   
ratoppenheimer

as per the daily norseman, this is our projected draft in 2020 - presently, they have us with five 7th round picks....

Vikings’ first-round pick

Vikings’ second-round pick

Vikings’ third-round pick

Compensatory third-round pick (loss of Sheldon Richardson)

Vikings’ fourth-round pick

Vikings’ fifth-round pick (traded to Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Kaare Vedvik)

Vikings’ sixth-round pick

Dolphins’ seventh-round pick (acquired from Miami Dolphins in exchange for Danny Isidora)

Vikings’ seventh-round pick

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Trevor Siemian)

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Tom Compton)

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Andrew Sendejo)

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 7514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 7:53:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

Got to be something up with Sloter being we didn't even want him on the PS

Funny how he got bulk of the PS reps yet we kept Browner instead. Perhaps ( as an earlier poster indicated) we were show casing Sloter for a trade while hiding Browner for PS.

What didn't make sense is Zim throwing Sloter under the bus in a presser. If your show casing a guy praise would have been a much better sales pitch.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 7:59:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Something to read.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/1/20843004/minnesota-vikings-roster-notes

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/31/20842695/breaking-down-the-vikings-roster

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:24:32 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I do not like our current WR situation. We have two great ones, then what?

What happens if Thielen or Diggs miss some time? No worries, we'll run 'em to death.

The Treadwell mistake had ramifications that we are now realizing. We literally do not have a NFL quality #3 on our roster. BTW, should be a great gig. Diggs and Thielen drawing all the coverage, just be average, you could shine.

Maybe we are in the market for another blocking TE

Not sure that I agree but I heard we will be using Smith Jr. almost as a 3rd WR.
Post #: 7517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:25:34 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

as per the daily norseman, this is our projected draft in 2020 - presently, they have us with five 7th round picks....

Vikings’ first-round pick

Vikings’ second-round pick

Vikings’ third-round pick

Compensatory third-round pick (loss of Sheldon Richardson)

Vikings’ fourth-round pick

Vikings’ fifth-round pick (traded to Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Kaare Vedvik)

Vikings’ sixth-round pick

Dolphins’ seventh-round pick (acquired from Miami Dolphins in exchange for Danny Isidora)

Vikings’ seventh-round pick

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Trevor Siemian)

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Tom Compton)

Compensatory seventh-round pick (loss of Andrew Sendejo)

Somebody picked up Compton.
Post #: 7518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:03:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

If they don't think Colquist is an upgrade, it's just another bad move for special teams. To me special teams has been a problem since Zimmer took over, but he no longer has a Sherels or Patterson to occasionally cover his ass.

Technically true, however that makes no sense.
Post #: 7519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:11:31 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

It's been interesting to see how the roster has shaped out. I was a little surprised at 4 WR's, but then again, I think they have a lot of versatility with Smith, so I can see him being the 5th guy in a lot of scenarios. I'm not a big fan of Abdullah and actually thought that Hegotgame would have been a better choice for versatility purposes, but at least we were able to get him on the practice squad, so it will be fun to watch this guy grow.

Not surprised to see Sloter go, he was becoming a distraction and really, was just another guy. This of course is my opinion, but I have seen many young QB's look good in preseasons but never amount to much. This kid might be a starter some day, but John Elway and the Broncos along with a pretty sharp Offensive staff at Minnesota didn't think enough of him to keep him in house, so I will just let the people that were around him every day make those decisions.

Boyd and Fields now will battle for a spot when Hall gets reinstated. One of them will stick and the other might find the PS. I'm a little concerned about CB depth, but we will see. Rhodes just gets dinged up so much and if the way he played in the preseason is any indication of what is coming this year from him, I'm a little worried, he wasn't very good. But then again, there were a couple of guys that played very disinterested football during the preseason, so maybe it was just "playing not to get hurt" type stuff.

Really, this team will go as far as Cousins takes them. He's the one that needs to prove that he's more than a stat guy. So far, he's only been able to compete against the teams at the bottom of their divisions, he has to take the next step. Personally, I don't see any indication that he has the mental strength to be capable of doing this, but I can certainly be proven wrong and would love him to do just that.

Finally, we need Zimmer to also prove he can play chess with the really good coaches in the league. He's got a big enough sample size now for many to be concerned about his ability to get teams ready to play. We have a talented roster, I don't think Rick gets the credit he deserves for this, but it's up to the coaching staff to get guys ready to play and Zimmer has spit the bit on numerous occasions, he must prove he is capable of growth, otherwise, we are watching his last season as a head coach in Minnesota and rightfully so. The really good coaches understand the mental part of the game, tendencies, situations, momentum, moral, Zimmer doesn't seem to have that depth, at least not yet, hopefully he can learn to understand the reason the great ones are great is because they never stop learning. We'll see.

I like the new offense, the defense should be solid, I haven't seen our special teams be special yet, but there was a lot of moving pieces during the preseason, so we can see them take shape now. I hope they are better than we have seen so far! Let the season begin, skol Vikings!

Nicely articulated post, not just the points I agree with (bolded) but some I don't.

Next thing you know he will be matriculating his posts down the thread.

Agree though. Esp about the concerns with Cousins and Zimmer.
Post #: 7520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:13:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Chris Tomasson
‏@christomasson
27m27 minutes ago

#Vikings punter Britton Colquitt expects to be holder “That’s one of the things they told me when they were signing me is that’s a very important thing to them It’s not like ‘Hey you’re a good punter’ It was ‘We need you to help this holding situation.’ So I’m excited to do that"

Chris Tomasson
‏@christomasson
24m24 minutes ago

New punter Britton Colquitt said his agent first heard from the #Vikings late last night and the punter jumped at the opportunity. He played for Denver when the Broncos won a Super Bowl in 2015 under Gary Kubiak but said he didn't even know Kubiak was with the Vikings until today

Conjurs up a quick memory of The Bonnie Situation.
Post #: 7521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:44:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Got to be something up with Sloter being we didn't even want him on the PS

Funny how he got bulk of the PS reps yet we kept Browner instead. Perhaps ( as an earlier poster indicated) we were show casing Sloter for a trade while hiding Browner for PS.

What didn't make sense is Zim throwing Sloter under the bus in a presser. If your show casing a guy praise would have been a much better sales pitch.

Maybe they liked Browning more? Sloter Vs. Mannion and the plan was to keep Browning on PS as 3rd? Hard to know. Pretty telling he isn't on another roster right now....(just Cards PS).

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:45:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

Question now is who's liable to get bumped off the roster first?

Dillon
Abdullah
J Johnson

We're going to need to add a vet wr. If Theilen or Diggs go down spells trouble to an already anemic offense.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:48:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Dillon
Abdullah
J Johnson

We're going to need to add a vet wr. If Theilen or Diggs go down spells trouble to an already anemic offense.

JJ

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 10:02:33 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Dillon
Abdullah
J Johnson

Isn't there an advantage of signing a veteran after game one? Maybe something will happen next week.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7525
Page:   <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  299 300 [301] 302 303   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode