Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  301 302 303 [304] 305   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:48:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

Like the Doctson signing....6'4" and actually if healthy can be the 3rd WR we need.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:51:39 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Idk much about him...but, looks like he catches the ball better than Treadwell
Post #: 7577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:53:37 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

Idk much about him...but, looks like he catches the ball better than Treadwell

Played on the TCU juggernaut a few years back...unstoppable in college.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 4:59:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Like the Doctson signing....6'4" and actually if healthy can be the 3rd WR we need.

He's 6'2" and that's a big if, but I like it too. Unfortunately, the signing also adds to the impression of a desperate, floundering front office that is swinging wildly at anything.

I'm still excited about the season and optimistic/delusional about the possibilities, but the last month or two has made me increasingly uneasy about the front office and coaching staff. I don't have enough information to draw conclusions so I choose to try to be zen about it, but it's taking more and more work.

A week from now we'll be 24 hours past our first win, a salve to the current irritation.
Post #: 7579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 5:55:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

My first reaction was that he's a Viking now so I have to root for him and wish him success. Then I watched this highlight video and thought he's not Treadwell. This is just from one season.

https://youtu.be/b37gnT6oLCw

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/2/2019 5:57:16 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:18:32 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

My first reaction was that he's a Viking now so I have to root for him and wish him success. Then I watched this highlight video and thought he's not Treadwell. This is just from one season.

That video is like 2 decades worth of productivity for Treadwell.
Post #: 7581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:25:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

He's 6'2" and that's a big if, but I like it too. Unfortunately, the signing also adds to the impression of a desperate, floundering front office that is swinging wildly at anything.

I'm still excited about the season and optimistic/delusional about the possibilities, but the last month or two has made me increasingly uneasy about the front office and coaching staff. I don't have enough information to draw conclusions so I choose to try to be zen about it, but it's taking more and more work.

A week from now we'll be 24 hours past our first win, a salve to the current irritation.

We lived in DC during most of Doctson's time. It's pretty funny because their sports people use to say "well, it could be worse, we could have Treadwell". They are forever linked. IF he can stay healthy he could be a good find. As said though, that's a massive 'if'. The Skins fans always expected him to be a downfield threat. Not a dink/dunk guy.

The one thing that is not in question. Our FO is miles better than the Skins. If you asked "Kurt" Cousin and/or Doctson they would pass out for lack of oxygen due to all the laughter. That franchise is a disaster.
Post #: 7582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:31:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

That video is like 2 decades worth of productivity for Treadwell.

Exactly. I think it's also a plus that he has some history with Cousins. He is a different kind of receiver than what we have. He might be good with certain match ups being that he's taller.

I am dreading who gets cut now, though. We have 6 DT's, so that's where I would go for the cut. Either that or a running back.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 7583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:35:43 PM   
quote:

Athletically no comparison.

I’m almost ashamed to say this is the guy I was clamoring for during that draft.l

Actually still think he can be pretty good for us.
  Post #: 7584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:39:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Nice catches here by our newest Viking.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168627078704566274

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168626004040044546

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/2/2019 6:40:46 PM >

Post #: 7585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:41:38 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Catches the ball with his body a lot, but if we are looking to compare him to Treadwell, I'd rather have Doctson. Not sure how much I like him over Zylstra, but there was probably no way we go with just 4 WR's. I'd have preferred D. Thomas, but that's just me. Doctson is fine, hopefully he can flourish here!
Post #: 7586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 6:46:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Doctson

‘18: 63.3 grade / 846 snaps
‘17: 62.5 grade / 752 snaps
16: 56.4 grade / 79 snaps

Treadwell

18: 51.3 grade / 543 snaps
17: 53.3 grade / 529 snaps
16: 56.4 grade / 79 snaps

From Andrew Ites on Twitter

Post #: 7587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 7:24:22 PM   
Jeff Jesser

JD:

32 games (26 starts) with 81 catches for 1100 yards, 8 TD's and a long of 57

LT:

31 games (9 starts) with 40 catches for 395 yards, 1 TD and a long of 25

If he's healthy it's a massive upgrade.
Post #: 7588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 7:24:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And, I'm not even (or haven't been) a fan. Just stating the facts as they lie today.
Post #: 7589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 7:39:27 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

And, I'm not even (or haven't been) a fan. Just stating the facts as they lie today.

I'm actually a fan. The big question that I remember when he was drafted was how much of his production in college was the result of the TCU system and how much was him, but he was supposed to have the best hands in that draft (looked a little shaky on that video as Dana pointed out). The criticism was imprecise/rounded route running and his ability to beat press coverage. His foot problem(s?) is concerning as well, but I like the signing and think he can maybe flourish as a WR3. I'm also a lot more confident than him over Beebe and Bisi (at this point) should Diggs or AT go down.

Disclaimer: He was my choice in the draft after something convinced me my first choice (Cody Whitehair plus one of Sterling Shepard, Michael Thomas, or Tyler Boyd) wasn't going to happen.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 9/2/2019 7:49:29 PM >
Post #: 7590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:19:58 PM   
jbusse

One concern I might have with Doctson is rate of receptions/targets.

Career stats:
Doctson: 81 receptions on 163 targets = 49.7% reception rate
Thielen: 293 receptions on 420 targets = 69.8% reception rate
Diggs: 302 receptions on 439 targets = 68.8% reception rate

Depth of route plays a role, and Thielen and Diggs are two of the very best. Still, Doctson's number seems low considering how accurate QBs are these days.

Regardless, happy to have him given our lack of WR depth.
Post #: 7591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:41:12 PM   
drviking

Meh. He looks almost as bad as Treadwell

And I was hoping for him in that draft.

Aldrich Robinson would be better

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 7592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:44:22 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

One concern I might have with Doctson is rate of receptions/targets.

Career stats:
Doctson: 81 receptions on 163 targets = 49.7% reception rate
Thielen: 293 receptions on 420 targets = 69.8% reception rate
Diggs: 302 receptions on 439 targets = 68.8% reception rate

Depth of route plays a role, and Thielen and Diggs are two of the very best. Still, Doctson's number seems low considering how accurate QBs are these days.

Regardless, happy to have him given our lack of WR depth.

Yes, and hopefully Diggs and Thielen have a positive effect on his game and how he practices. These two guys really get in to the details of the craft, I'm not sure Doctson has been around guys so dedicated to their craft.
Post #: 7593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 8:56:57 PM   
Born2Blitz

From the Bleacher Report:
Despite Washington giving up on him, Doctson still has fans in the locker room.
"He goes after the ball like no other. I'm talking about a jump ball," cornerback Josh Norman said, per John Keim of ESPN. "He has his strengths and abilities to where he can be one of the top guys in this league if he wants it. ... We have had a couple quarterback changes since he's been here. You have to take that into consideration." I

skol...Skol...SKol..SKOl.....SKOL
Post #: 7594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:04:52 PM   
Ricky J

I didnt see who was cut to make room. Didnt look real hard but I did go to vikings.com
Post #: 7595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:14:00 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Born2Blitz

"He goes after the ball like no other. I'm talking about a jump ball," cornerback Josh Norman said, per John Keim of ESPN. "He has his strengths and abilities to where he can be one of the top guys in this league if he wants it. ... We have had a couple quarterback changes since he's been here. You have to take that into consideration." I

This is the polar opposite of Treadwell. Other then the one handed catch vs the Packers a couple years ago he showed zero of this ability.

I’m fairly optimistic Doctson can come in as Not having to be a #1, or #2, and kick some arse guarded by their 3rd or 4th best cover DB.
  Post #: 7596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:33:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

Meh. He looks almost as bad as Treadwell

And I was hoping for him in that draft.

Aldrich Robinson would be better

Aldrick was who I was hoping we brought in. Now that it's Doctson I'm going to be all in on him. Go Vikings.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 7597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:34:06 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Born2Blitz

This is the polar opposite of Treadwell. Other then the one handed catch vs the Packers a couple years ago he showed zero of this ability.

I’m fairly optimistic Doctson can come in as Not having to be a #1, or #2, and kick some arse guarded by their 3rd or 4th best cover DB.

Good point!
Post #: 7598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:35:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I didnt see who was cut to make room. Didnt look real hard but I did go to vikings.com

I don't think it's been announced. They are maybe keeping it secret I don't know.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 7599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/2/2019 9:45:42 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I don't think it's been announced. They are maybe keeping it secret I don't know.

Trying to trade someone is my guess.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 7600
Page:   <<   < prev  301 302 303 [304] 305   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  301 302 303 [304] 305   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode