Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 6:42:31 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You're right Bruce, you aren't the first to say it, I was saying it right after the game last week, that the Bears would have been better off pulling their starters lat week and playing the Vikes this week, instead of the Eagles.

And I wasn't the only one thinking it, probably many Viking fans were thinking it.

I was texting my Bears fan buddy before the half, "What are you doing, youd much rather play the Vikings than Eagles next week."
He thought theyd call off the dogs at half.
Seriously, what team in the NFC would you least like to play in Chicago in Jan, even if it wasnt below zero
Post #: 1976
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 6:46:01 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Brad, that's a strong point regarding most qb's getting rid of the ball quicker in today's game.

However, when a team is down late in the game that is when a pass rush becomes more valuable. QB's do hang on to the ball longer trying to make something happen.

I still value a good pass rusher. But we're paying TWO 13 and 11ml next season. With the emergence of Weatherly I think the prudent thing to do is move on from the aging Griffin. unsure if he has much trade value at his age coupled with a rich contract.

I think good DT's are paramount to stuff the run.

I have no problems with having a great pass rusher. I just don't happen to think it's as great of a need as having great corners.

A ton of average defensive linemen have been made to look great by having great corners. Not many corners have been made to look great because of a great defensive end.

Bears corners in '85' and this year are one example off the top of my head.

Carl Lee, Reggie Rutland(before he changed his name), Jimmie Hitchcock, Corey Fuller all looked great with stud pass rushers. Does anybody who isn't a diehard Viking fan know who these guys are.

Most NE corners during their dynasty.

Lee played in the 80's and early 90's, making three Pro Bowls. He was one of the top 3-4 corners the organization has ever had, and one could make an argument for him being the best ever. He, along with Isaac Holt and Joey Browner made for one of the best back ends in Vikings history.

Nonetheless, the conversation was how football has changed into a passing league and how defensive linemen are now nearly irrelevant (IMO).

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/7/2019 6:53:36 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1977
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 7:37:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Brad, that's a strong point regarding most qb's getting rid of the ball quicker in today's game.

However, when a team is down late in the game that is when a pass rush becomes more valuable. QB's do hang on to the ball longer trying to make something happen.

I still value a good pass rusher. But we're paying TWO 13 and 11ml next season. With the emergence of Weatherly I think the prudent thing to do is move on from the aging Griffin. unsure if he has much trade value at his age coupled with a rich contract.

I have no problems with having a great pass rusher. I just don't happen to think it's as great of a need as having great corners.

A ton of average defensive linemen have been made to look great by having great corners. Not many corners have been made to look great because of a great defensive end.

Carl Lee, Reggie Rutland(before he changed his name), Jimmie Hitchcock, Corey Fuller all looked great with stud pass rushers. Does anybody who isn't a diehard Viking fan know who these guys are.

Lee played in the 80's and early 90's, making three Pro Bowls. He was one of the top 3-4 corners the organization has ever had, and one could make an argument for him being the best ever. He, along with Isaac Holt and Joey Browner made for one of the best back ends in Vikings history.

Nonetheless, the conversation was how football has changed into a passing league and how defensive linemen are now nearly irrelevant (IMO).

Donald and Mack will probably 1-2 for DPOY. I doubt any CB will finish in Top 10.

Yes. CBs are important. You need a lot of competent guys with teams going 4 wide alot of the time. But, to say that DLineman are irrelevant is crazy.
Post #: 1978
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 7:41:23 AM   
Mark Anderson

I think Carl Lee was a very solid CB. But Doleman, Millard, Thomas and Noga made his job a lot easier.
Post #: 1979
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 8:49:02 AM   
Todd M

Doesn't matter if the truth was ultimately lay down and play the Vikings the following week...all they can do is figure the wound from laying down and then getting ousted by an upset would be worse than playing to win and letting things be what they will.

Trying to be non objective they did the right thing.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 1/7/2019 8:50:08 AM >
Post #: 1980
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 8:49:28 AM   
Todd M

at the double doink though.
Post #: 1981
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 8:52:34 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Doesn't matter if the truth was ultimately lay down and play the Vikings the following week...all they can do is figure the wound from laying down and then getting ousted by an upset would be worse than playing to win and letting things be what they will.

Trying to be non objective they did the right thing.

I don't get that attitude either...
We all talk on here about needing to have some swagger and just punch the other team in the mouth...

Except if it looks hard, then lay down and take the easy road?!?!?

How about have the confidence to beat whoever is in front of you?
Post #: 1982
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 8:56:10 AM   
Ricky J

Obviously it's all in fun - sheesh to the high and mighty
Post #: 1983
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:01:40 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Donald and Mack will probably 1-2 for DPOY. I doubt any CB will finish in Top 10.

Yes. CBs are important. You need a lot of competent guys with teams going 4 wide alot of the time. But, to say that DLineman are irrelevant is crazy.

Awards mean nothing. They are mostly popularity contests. Corners are great when you never hear their names called.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/7/2019 9:08:45 AM >

Post #: 1984
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:02:27 AM   
Brad H

quote:

I think Carl Lee was a very solid CB. But Doleman, Millard, Thomas and Noga made his job a lot easier.

It was a different era. You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument.

Somebody in here catch him up. I've obviously failed to do so on three attempts.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/7/2019 9:05:41 AM >

Post #: 1985
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:11:01 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I just finished the Ravens- Chargers game. (I recorded it ) It was interesting how the Chargers should have scored a TD, but even with replay review it was ruled short. (Bad call.) The referee on the field ruled that it was down at the one yard line. Even after the replay it was spotted at the one. If it wasn't a TD it should have been at the one inch line.

Then the next play there was a fumble near the goal line and it was run back for a TD, but it was ruled down at the 6 inch line. That would have been a TD if the ball was spotted properly from the play before, but amazingly it was ruled down and not a fumble. (so close, but correct call imo)

Then on fourth down the Chargers scored. It just felt like it was so hard to score a TD on that Ravens defense. Their defense is good. (But they lost anyway.)

Anyone else see it the way I did?

Agreed!
The non TD call was bad.
The spot after non TD call was TERRIBLE.

If that fumble into the endzone and return for Raven TD would have stood... wow, total game changer.

Would have been furious if I was a Charger fan.

That series probably decided the game...

And then it happened again in the Bears-Eagles game on the 2 point conversion try. It was sooooo close to touching the line- but I do believe they got it right. Then, that field goal hit an upright and a cross bar. How close can you get and not win the game.

I just want to say it, now, and perhaps I am not the first to say it: the Bears messed up by beating the Vikings last week. If they had just packed it in they would have got the Vikings and it would have been an easy win for them.

What the Eagles have and the Vikings don't have is mental toughness. I think I'll be talking a lot about mental toughness this off-season. That's what the Vikings need.

I also have to say that the Eagles have to be thanking their lucky stars. That was a close one. They were good- but they also were lucky.

Mental toughness is a reflection of the coaching staff and Mike Zimmer is a wuss.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 1986
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:23:18 AM   
marty

I think Zimmer had a little chip on his shoulder from not getting HC interviews a few years ago, but that wore off over time.

So Zimmer softened a little bit, then Soprano died, so the whole team softened more.

But a great coach probably doesn't need to have a chip, he can cultivate toughness in his players, and puts them in positions to win with smartness.

Zimmer is a good HC and DC, not great. He was great as a defensive backs coach, that was with Dallas, when Dallas was getting rings.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1987
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:35:19 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Obviously it's all in fun - sheesh to the high and mighty

Who is high and mighty?
Post #: 1988
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:35:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awards mean nothing. They are mostly popularity contests. Corners are great when you never hear their names called.

No. Pro Bowls are popularity contests. DPOY is chosen by people who know what they are looking for.
Post #: 1989
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:44:11 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

It was a different era. You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument.

Somebody in here catch him up. I've obviously failed to do so on three attempts.

Nobody is going to back you.

Who makes the Bears the great defense they are? Hicks and Mack or Amukamara and Fuller

Who has lead the resurgence of the Dallas defense? Lawrence and the LBs or the secondary

Philly defense goes as their DLine goes.

Bosa and Ingram top dogs for Chargers, although Safety Derwin James might be the last piece to that puzzle.
Post #: 1990
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 9:46:30 AM   
Todd M

quote:

The other three teams expected to get third-round compensatory picks are Washington (for losing Kirk Cousins

They sign Smith/lose Cousins AND get a 3rd? **** that.
Post #: 1991
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:13:23 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I would take Cousins over Smith everyday of the week.
Post #: 1992
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:42:08 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

Freaking Philly lucky bastards

Hopefully it continues next weekend

I can't decide Eagles vs Saints. Do I want to get kicked or kneed in the groin?

The least painful is going to be the Rams - we have to face it

That's where I'm at
I found myself rooting wildly for Philthy yesterday ... never thought I'd see that. (has to be the division familiarity issue)
Because I hated the Eagles with red-hot passion. Until yesterday.
I do know, however, that there is absolutely no way in holy hell I'd EVER want the Saints to win a game.
I'd pull for the Russians first. or Al Qaeda. Hell, theres a slim chance I may even pull for the coughcoughcoughPackerscoughcough before those jackwagons.
Rams give me no nausea. I'd be ok with good things happening to them.
Payton and the rest of that shitball org can fall off the earth in my world.
Post #: 1993
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:43:33 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Bears were +2 in turnovers Sunday vs. Eagles. Home teams that were +2 in the playoffs the past 40 years were 112-4.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1994
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:51:12 AM  1 votes
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's where I'm at
I found myself rooting wildly for Philthy yesterday ... never thought I'd see that. (has to be the division familiarity issue)
I do know, however, that there is absolutely no way in holy hell I'd EVER want the Saints to win a game.
I'd pull for the Russians first. or Al Qaeda. Hell, theres a slim chance I may even pull for the coughcoughcoughPackerscoughcough before those jackwagons.

Why do you hate the Saints so much? They seem to be a well schooled organization entirely UNLIKE the Vikings.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 1995
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 10:54:56 AM   
marty

I sometimes root against the refs, if it seems like they are biased in the 4th quarter, all the calls and non calls going one way, I then want their 'sway' messed up.

And then I sometimes hope if the team getting screwed is really making plays, I hope the refs have to attempt to REALLY go far with it, or will they give up favoring that team.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1996
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 11:04:01 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

The other three teams expected to get third-round compensatory picks are Washington (for losing Kirk Cousins

They sign Smith/lose Cousins AND get a 3rd? **** that.

Traded for him. Gave up their best cornerback (which makes the deal lopsided in KC favor already) AND a third round pick (which will be higher than the comp pick received back).

The Redskins tacked on a four-year deal that puts Smith under contract for five years at a cost of $111 million, of which $71 million is guaranteed.

Really bad deal for Washington.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1997
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 11:05:39 AM   
David F.

Ryan Boser Retweeted

Adam Levitan

Verified account

@adamlevitan
3h3 hours ago
More
The top-7 defenses in yards per play allowed are all dead.
CHI: 1st
BAL: 2nd
BUF: 3rd
MIN: 4th
JAX: 5th
PIT: 6th
TEN: 7th

31 replies 69 retweets 239 likes
Reply 31 Retweet 69 Like 239 Direct message

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1998
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 11:06:15 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's where I'm at

Why do you hate the Saints so much? They seem to be a well schooled organization entirely UNLIKE the Vikings.

Why do you hate the Vikings so much?
Post #: 1999
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/7/2019 11:08:41 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Ryan Boser Retweeted

Adam Levitan

Verified account

@adamlevitan
3h3 hours ago
More
The top-7 defenses in yards per play allowed are all dead.
CHI: 1st
BAL: 2nd
BUF: 3rd
MIN: 4th
JAX: 5th
PIT: 6th
TEN: 7th

31 replies 69 retweets 239 likes
Reply 31 Retweet 69 Like 239 Direct message

Everyone has loved that Bears D so much all year, they're all 'whatever' to me ...
In crunchtime yesterday the Eagles shoved it right down their throats.
They're as much to blame as the Bears very-average offense and their much-maligned kicker. Imo.

I was much more impressed with Philly's tackling than with the Bears.
Post #: 2000
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode