Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 7:44:42 PM   
Ricky J

On the challenge of the PI ....

there were 2 penalties (1) hands to the face that was declined (2) the PI

- can one assume once they declined the hands to the face that if Zimmer wins that challenge of PI that's it, incomplete pass? - why challenge it other than the distance they would have the ball would be different?
Post #: 226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 8:03:31 PM   
Todd M

YAY!!! Had to tape the game and watch it after work but super happy I had no spoilers and got to enjoy a win out of the gate. Even though there are things to clean up it is clear this is a 13 win team. Clear/confirmed to me. I can only hope our conservatism to a fault either holds up as it did today or they have a counter to it if things start to go south...which it was never in danger of today...still, hard to like it that much.
Post #: 227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 8:22:20 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

YAY!!! Had to tape the game and watch it after work but super happy I had no spoilers and got to enjoy a win out of the gate. Even though there are things to clean up it is clear this is a 13 win team. Clear/confirmed to me. I can only hope our conservatism to a fault either holds up as it did today or they have a counter to it if things start to go south...which it was never in danger of today...still, hard to like it that much.

This drives me crazy too. Starts turtling with a lead. Reminds me of the Saints playoff game. Zimmer simply has no concept of stepping on an opponents neck. As you said, it's great the defense held up today, but at some point, an opponent will score and get back into a game. This puts a lot of pressure on the defense to continue to keep an opponent at bay, and can lead to injuries.

For once, I'd like to see them destroy a team early and allow some starters to rest up.

But happy with the win!

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:05:24 PM   
Ricky J

We won 28-12
I really have a hard time being critical of being conservative with the lead we had throughout - i notice we're not talking about turnovers or losing a big lead
Post #: 229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:29:26 PM   
Todd M

Man if we were willing to go after it like the Patriots....
Post #: 230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:33:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Did you see this?

Good Move to give up on Kaare Vedvik - Today? his Jets lost 17-16. He missed his only PAT and only FG try. Head case...

(VikeFans on Twitter)

And we gave up a 5th rounder for that waste of space.

It was worth the fun ...

For whatever reason Bailey became lights out as soon as we got Vedvik. He was even getting his kickoffs deep. If Bailey keeps this up and I have a hunch he will that 5th round pick for Vedvik was well worth it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:35:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

- can one assume once they declined the hands to the face that if Zimmer wins that challenge of PI that's it, incomplete pass? - why challenge it other than the distance they would have the ball would be different?

I'm pretty sure the Falcons would have then been able to revert to the other penalty. That was a long pass I think the yardage difference would have been very large.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/8/2019 9:38:22 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:36:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

YAY!!! Had to tape the game and watch it after work but super happy I had no spoilers and got to enjoy a win out of the gate. Even though there are things to clean up it is clear this is a 13 win or more team. Clear/confirmed to me. I can only hope our conservatism to a fault either holds up as it did today or they have a counter to it if things start to go south...which it was never in danger of today...still, hard to like it that much.

I fixed it for you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:39:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Boys, you're just going to have to accept it. It's Zimmer. It's who he is.

Goods:

Running game
Harris overall
Punter (let's face it, he's had a lot of practice coming from Cleveland)
Bailey made his kicks
A blocked punt
LB's were very active
TO's
Griff returning from the grave (it was great to see him 'back')

Bad:

Our pass blocking at times (cough/cough……Elf)
Pass offense as a whole
Questionable calls by Zimm, at times
Pass D was shaky at times. Too many guys "wide open"

All in all a good day. I freaking hate ATL as much as GB so anytime we spank them it's a good day. 98 NFCCG was the toughest moment in sports for me.
Post #: 234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:00:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Boys, you're just going to have to accept it. It's Zimmer. It's who he is.

Goods:

Running game
Harris overall
Punter (let's face it, he's had a lot of practice coming from Cleveland)
Bailey made his kicks
A blocked punt
LB's were very active
TO's
Griff returning from the grave (it was great to see him 'back')

Bad:

Our pass blocking at times (cough/cough……Elf)
Pass offense as a whole
Questionable calls by Zimm, at times
Pass D was shaky at times. Too many guys "wide open"

All in all a good day. I freaking hate ATL as much as GB so anytime we spank them it's a good day. 98 NFCCG was the toughest moment in sports for me.

Atlanta threw the ball 46 times and Julio Jones only had 31 yards on receptions. It wasn't all bad. Of course any team is going to play softer with a big lead and we lost one of our corners to an injury.

Some other stats on defense that stood out to me was the quarterback rating of 45 for Matt Ryan and four sacks for 32 yards. Atlanta running backs collectively had only 49 yards.

I did a peek of a Falcon fan chat room and they were really down on their team. None of us want to be them right now.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:08:36 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Anthony Harris is the next #Vikings player who needs an extension. The elevation of his game over the past two seasons has been impressive. His coverage skills help provide flexibility for the entire scheme. He was fantastic today.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:14:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Anther player that had a solid game.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170884633052893184

Post #: 237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:15:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Anther couple of players that had a solid game.

https://twitter.com/i/status/117088463305289318

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170873118367391747

Post #: 238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:19:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Check out this play. I'm glad he's on our side.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170896918467112961

Post #: 239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 5:51:24 AM   
ratoppenheimer

we seemed to own them when we ran the ball outside...cook was better, but it didn't seem to matter who was running...that was the one area where our o-line really thrived...when zimmer went into burn-the-clock mode, we got away from that and started to struggle a bit running up the gut...we kept forcing our defense back on the field - and then asked them to play prevent, which is beyond boring....

i wonder if zimmer didn't want to show the nfl how we could dominate running the ball on off-tackle and sweep plays...everyone seemed to look good blocking on the outside and i wondered what would happen if we stayed with that and play-action the entire game....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 6:18:45 AM   
marty

Glad to hear the Vikes' special teams is off to a good start.

Maybe it is NOT Zimmer with kickers; maybe Priefer was the common denominator.

Cleveland drafted a very impressive looking kicker, and he missed one of his extra points. Maybe Priefer will ruin him as well.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 6:21:02 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

we seemed to own them when we ran the ball outside...cook was better, but it didn't seem to matter who was running...that was the one area where our o-line really thrived...when zimmer went into burn-the-clock mode, we got away from that and started to struggle a bit running up the gut...we kept forcing our defense back on the field - and then asked them to play prevent, which is beyond boring....

i wonder if zimmer didn't want to show the nfl how we could dominate running the ball on off-tackle and sweep plays...everyone seemed to look good blocking on the outside and i wondered what would happen if we stayed with that and play-action the entire game....

Nicely stated. I saw it that way as well, but hadn't thought about not wanting to show off the dominant outside runs. Seemed like night and day when they switched to running inside. Maybe that says something about the interior o line as well.
Post #: 242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 6:24:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A couple of videos with reactions to yesterday's game.

https://youtu.be/a_XaGYa6hdQ

https://youtu.be/MyqVgCHG81A

Post #: 243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 6:40:36 AM   
SteveR

Nice laugher of a game. We haven't had one of those in a while. It was so in the bag, I fell asleep, which is good, because today I'm going on about two hour sleep, so the nap helped me bank a bit.

But if there is one thing the Vikings taught me, it is not to let my expectations get too out of hand. We got one in the win column. Now we can see about getting another in the win column. For all we know, Atlanta might well and truly suck. We were also helped big-time by turnovers.

Dalvin Cook looked good, though. Hopefully, that is sustainable, even if turnovers are not.

Now onto the Packers. Nice to get to play in Lambeau right away before the deep freeze sets in. I am leaning toward a win. Hopefully, it comes to fruition.
Post #: 244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 7:57:46 AM   
bstinger

quote:

No, the other penalty would've been applied. Big difference in field position.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:03:30 AM   
Lars

Hope all on here are well and have had a great summer!

My $0.02 on the game:

Winning in the the NFL is tough. I am always happy with a win. Especially in Week 1 - weird stuff happens.

A win at home and a conference win. Both good things.

The run blocking looked good and Cook was running tough. Oneill stood out to me.

Elf struggled in pass protection at times.

The TD by AT was sweet. Dude is so tough.

Harris was a BALLER!!

Great ST team. Punt coverage could be a bit better, but solid game.

The PI call on Waynes was crap.

Too many penalties. And the offsides drive me crazy. Gave atnaltA (copyright JB Schaefer) 3 first downs on those alone.

I would have preferred we work on our passing game a bit more, and generally don't like when Zimmer goes into prevent-offense mode, but it made sense yesterday.

Cousins does not have great pocket-awareness/sixth-sense like the great ones do. That is a weakness in his game, IMHO.

A win and we looked solid. I'll take it. Keep getting better.

SKOL!!!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:11:08 AM   
Todd M

I feel like we got the Barr we've been wanting to see for a while. Hunter and Griff looked good too. Hard to feel better about anyone than Harris though...that guy is going to get paid soon and you gotta love a guy come up from nothing and earn it. We got a few of those.
Post #: 247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:14:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Glad to hear the Vikes' special teams is off to a good start.

Maybe it is NOT Zimmer with kickers; maybe Priefer was the common denominator.

Cleveland drafted a very impressive looking kicker, and he missed one of his extra points. Maybe Priefer will ruin him as well.

We picked up a better punter who is also a top holder....that is the key.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:24:21 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

This drives me crazy too. Starts turtling with a lead. Reminds me of the Saints playoff game. Zimmer simply has no concept of stepping on an opponents neck. As you said, it's great the defense held up today, but at some point, an opponent will score and get back into a game. This puts a lot of pressure on the defense to continue to keep an opponent at bay, and can lead to injuries.

For once, I'd like to see them destroy a team early and allow some starters to rest up.

But happy with the win!

Wasn’t really bothered by the soft defense yesterday ... when you have Boyd and Fields covering Julio Jones or Sanu or Riddley - with some other def. reserves in the game - you are simply going to play the averages. Not about Zimmer’s cajones.

I was more disappointed in the offense’s late game third down resignations ... which is not on Zimmer.

Most importantly, we were physically great on defense early and didn’t get out strategized / adjusted at halftime. And on offense, using a zone scheme instead of a power scheme, we still tore them a new one.

I’m tired of hearing how cerebral Barr is ... its a different defense when he makes plays vs. using his stupid big brain in subtle tactical ways.

ST coverage was iffy but Malouf’s penchant for blocked kicks was great to see here.

Its only game one which is not even a predictor of long term success. But its a fun start.
Post #: 249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2019 8:24:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

For those of you were unhappy with the cut of Jones you have good news.

https://twitter.com/vikingsspin/status/1170935303605030912?s=09

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode