Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 4:30:45 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

This article is like a statement on why our team is a team of the "good guys". (as opposed to the New England Patriots who for me are the team I love to hate- and one more reason is what happened today)

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/09/countdown-to-week-1-why-the-vikings-stars-all-stayed/

In reading that article I still say the Cousins signing was the outlier and mistake, not just in chemistry but contract structure...

Options be damned... It just didnt fit the rest of what you read on where team was going and what players were buying into... We went all in on the Cousins and DeFilippo moves and it didnt work out as planned....

Maybe this year with Kirk?

I believe Cousins also could have signed for more elsewhere. One year later it seems that Cousins contract is not so bad in comparison to others contracts.

What other teams blunder in paying to sign players is not our blueprint.

I was strictly saying that we were following a blueprint to keep top notch talent on a team, what most teams struggle with unless you are the Pats...

The signing of Kirk was a desperation move and for good reason, there were so few options... I get that, but in hind sight at the moment it was not a great move matched with the O coordinator in DeFilippo we had just hired and his schemes and system as well as the offensive nature of our horrid O line last year... Kirk was set up to fail in all... I do hope a season with new directive on O from different visions can make the difference...

I just always hated the structure of the contract and as much as you want to compare what others have paid, NO ONE has stepped up with a fully guaranteed multi year deal like we did...

We got punked to this point... Time for Kirk to show different...

STARTS TOMORROW!

What we get from Kirk remains to be seen. We're obviously getting the same crap from you though.
Post #: 201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 7:10:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

If he does well we can all say he does well. If he does poorly we can all agree that he played poorly. For example, in Chicago everyone should be agreeing that their quarterback played very poorly last Thursday. They can agree or disagree that his future will be bright with the team. We are honest here and we give our opinions. Still, I believe it's better to be optimistic as a rule of life and I do see a lot of reasons for optimism for our favorite team.

I do believe the team was swinging for the fences when they signed Cousins. They got the best quarterback that they could. They didn't settle for the second best. (in their evaluation at the time) In time it's possible that they swung and missed, but we all appreciate that they were going for the home run choice. We all know that this is a quarterback league and none of us are going to be satisfied with just making the playoffs. We want a Super Bowl and so we want the team go "all in".

It does seem that the team is thinking of the future too, though. Look at all of the first and second year players on the team. They are doing that partly to manage the salary cap and also because they are trying to develop players who have potential at an affordable price.

I just did a count and there are 19 players that are either rookies or second year players. If it turns out that the team is good this year they might be good for awhile, yet.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/8/2019 7:17:37 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 7:26:59 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Good news.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1170605138144321537

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:18:26 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Good news.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1170605138144321537

Yes, good news as long as he doesn't aggravate his hammy and prolong the time to full recovery.
Post #: 204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 9:47:42 AM   
mikegreitzer

Last thoughts on Gameday---

It's been a LONG off-season.

https://vikings61.com/vikings-vs-falcons-a-matter-of-forgetting-the-past/
Post #: 205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:27:52 AM   
Steve Lentz

I'll be watching the progress of our OL.
Our success depends on it's improvement.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 11:47:13 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I'll be watching the progress of our OL.
Our success depends on it's improvement.

Me too. If the line is at least OK, we get a chance to analyze everything else; if they're not at least OK, probably nothing else matters.....
Post #: 207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 12:03:10 PM   
CPAMAN

The O-line and Kirk Cousins performance in lieu of the O-line play will determine the fate of the Vikings season. This team looks like a 9-7 caliber but I will upgrade to 10-6 because I am going to be optimistic this time around.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 12:16:47 PM   
bstinger

sd

< Message edited by bstinger -- 9/8/2019 12:29:14 PM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 12:28:08 PM   
bstinger

sd

< Message edited by bstinger -- 9/8/2019 12:29:23 PM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 4:49:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We are kind of hurting at cornerback aren't we. We'll have to see how quickly Alexander gets back (dislocated elbow) and also Hughes. Rhodes was in and out of the game. That's disconcerting and Hill is out for seven more games. Next week we play the Packers on the road. Not a good place to be hurting with your cornerbacks.

With regard to this game, I want to point out what Paul Charchian said before the game. He said that if Diggs is out for the game he felt like it likely could be a loss vs a very good Falcons team. With Diggs making a minor contribution we trounced that really good team. The Falcons offense looked rusty because they were not playing much football during the preseason, but the Vikings looked pretty sharp. Did you all notice how much we ran the ball? I mean, we were up two and then three touchdowns and it makes sense to run the ball in that situation, but I liked what I saw from the new rushing offense. Dalvin Cook looks like an All Pro.

We can nitpick about this or that. The penalties were ridiculous. That's just nitpicking though. What really matters is that the team didn't turn the ball over and on defense we created turnovers. (Mostly by Harris) Speaking of Harris, it's not that we have a "serviceable" safety next to Harrison Smith. Harris is a legitimate stud and if we can figure out what to do with the cornerbacks this defense is going to be really, really good.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/8/2019 4:50:43 PM >

Post #: 211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 4:51:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Check out Irv Smith blocking on the touchdown run.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170779366021902336

Post #: 212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 4:56:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Crazy stat of the day: The #Vikings had 3 more penalties (11) than completions (8) and still won by 16 (and it wasn't even that close).

(Eric Thompson on Twitter)

Post #: 213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 4:57:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins' stat-line for today: 8/10, 95 Yards, and 1 Touchdown.

No, today wasn't a preseason game.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

Post #: 214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:00:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Fun fact: An opposing team has never had a 100 yard receiver at U.S. Bank Stadium.
#Vikings have kept some dominant pass catchers in check in this building. Add Atlanta's trio to the mix.

(Hobie Artigue on Twitter)

Post #: 215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:01:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Dam*! You want smash mouth football- you got smash mouth football.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170749382087585792

Post #: 216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:05:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Did you see this?

Good Move to give up on Kaare Vedvik - Today? his Jets lost 17-16. He missed his only PAT and only FG try. Head case...

(VikeFans on Twitter)

Post #: 217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:08:57 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

Did you see this?

Good Move to give up on Kaare Vedvik - Today? his Jets lost 17-16. He missed his only PAT and only FG try. Head case...

(VikeFans on Twitter)

And we gave up a 5th rounder for that waste of space.
Post #: 218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:26:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

Did you see this?

(VikeFans on Twitter)

But it just goes to say that sometimes you just have to admit you made a mistake and move on. How many people chase bad money with good money? You know what I'm saying?

Post #: 219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:43:31 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did you see this?

(VikeFans on Twitter)

But it just goes to say that sometimes you just have to admit you made a mistake and move on. How many people chase bad money with good money? You know what I'm saying?

True. At least we didn't make the mistake worse.
Post #: 220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 5:56:01 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Vedvick cost Jets game today
Missed extra point...and fg.
Post #: 221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 6:35:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Great win! A lot of times over the years there are a lot of upsets in weeks 1-4. Some off that is due to the changing of the guard. Maybe Atlanta isn't that good, but seems more about the run game. Cousins with only 10 attempts? The last time that happened was maybe never.
Post #: 222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 6:56:32 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Did you see this?

(VikeFans on Twitter)

It was worth the fun ...
Post #: 223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 7:01:18 PM   
Viking Rich

It would nice to see Arizona upset the Kitties. They just went up in 27 - 24 in OT.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2019 7:23:47 PM   
Viking Rich

Looks like Cardinals and Detroit will finish in a tie. Five seconds left in OT. Still tied.

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode