Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 12:13:00 AM   
Bruce Johnson

After going through some film on the Packers. Look for the #Vikings to attack their LBs on short/intermediate routes.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of motions to confuse the young Packers secondary and maybe get AT or Diggs covered by a LB. Should be a good game! #skol

(Matt Anderson on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 12:17:35 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A good article.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/12/20863015/why-the-vikings-will-win-why-the-vikings-will-lose

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 7:07:59 AM   
SteveR

I have more confidence in picking a win this week than last week. Maybe just because it is unpalatable to lose to the Packers. Plus, we get to play in Lambeau early in decent weather. Got to make hay with this opportunity. I kind of think it will be a hot or cold game. We will either clobber them, or, if we do lose, I think it would take a meltdown on our part, the kind the results in calls to fire Zim and Rick, cut Cousins, etc.
Post #: 503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 9:02:57 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
56m56 minutes ago

The #Vikings have eight cornerbacks. Holton Hill is on the suspended list. On the active roster, Mackensie Alexander (elbow) missed practice Thursday and Mike Hughes (knee) and Mark Fields (groin) were limited. Fully healthy are Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Kris Boyd, Nate Meadors

-----------------------------------

Throw in Kearse in some situations but with Rhodes likely to get injured on plays he doesn't cover well ... we are looking at Boyd, Fields and maybe Meadors being on the field Sunday.

Can't wait for Hughes to start playing.

Maybe RS can swing a deal for Fitzpatrick. Fins are having a fire sale, and he's under his rookie deal for 3 more years so he'd fit under the cap.

Fins grant Minkah Fitzpatrick permission to seek trade

Minkah Fitzpatrick's frustration with his usage in Miami has led to the defensive back seeking a trade away from the sinking Dolphins.

The Miami brass has given agent Joel Segal permission to seek a trade, and he is making calls to other teams, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero confirmed.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported the news.

The Dolphins are not making calls themselves, per Pelissero, but have given Segal consent to send out feelers to other organizations to see if he can get his client out of South Beach.

While the Dolphins' season has got off to an inauspicious start, the defensive back's issue in Miami isn't the potential tanking quandary, but rather how he's been used by the coaching staff.

Fitzpatrick has made clear he's unhappy that he feels he's playing out of position. During his rookie campaign, the former first-round pick split his time at safety and slot corner. The new Dolphins coaching staff again yo-yoed him between three or four different roles in the team's Week 1 blowout loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

Fitzpatrick hasn't shied away from verbalizing his discomfort with how he's used. During training camp joint practices with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Fitzpatrick's mother noted on Twitter that her son was being misused as a strong safety to make up for other defenders' shortcomings.

The DB didn't brush aside those comments and agreed with his mother.

"She's not wrong," Fitzpatrick said at the time. "Coach has asked me to do something right now. I got to do what they ask me to do. If we have to have some discussions in the future, we'll have those discussions. I'm not 215 pounds, 220 pounds. So, playing in the box isn't best suited for me, but that's what coach is asking me to do."

In theory, Fitzpatrick's versatility should be a perfect fit in coach Brain Flores' defense. In practice, the player isn't comfortable, and it's leading to poor showings on the field.

The Dolphins made the Alabama product the No. 11 pick in the 2017 draft. Given how rookie contracts are structured, Miami has already paid out much of his deal, which could mean a bargain for any team who trades for the final three years of the deal (or four years with the fifth-year team option on first-rounders).

Pelissero reports that the price of a potential trade is unclear at this stage, but teams believe it'd be significant -- perhaps in the range of a second-round pick. The price underscores that the Dolphins won't trade the 22-year-old just because he wants out.

The Dolphins brought in a massive haul for Laremy Tunsil, taking advantage of the dearth at left tackle around the league and the Houston Texans' desperation. Teams could initially balk as the asking price for a defensive back who hasn't looked comfortable on the field early in his career. At this stage, the Dolphins have no incentive to trade Fitzpatrick for anything less than top dollar.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 9:32:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Our second rounder is not as valuable as other teams second rounder.

Post #: 505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 9:39:22 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveR

I have more confidence in picking a win this week than last week. Maybe just because it is unpalatable to lose to the Packers. Plus, we get to play in Lambeau early in decent weather. Got to make hay with this opportunity. I kind of think it will be a hot or cold game. We will either clobber them, or, if we do lose, I think it would take a meltdown on our part, the kind the results in calls to fire Zim and Rick, cut Cousins, etc.

Possibly, but we play very much like a cold weather team.
Post #: 506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 9:42:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

31 teams should trade for minkah.

(Luke Braun on Twitter)

For me it would make sense if he could play at corner.

Post #: 507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 9:43:34 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

We may have Hughes coming back soon, Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Mac, Hill, is more than enough, despite the injuries.
Post #: 508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 10:28:00 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

We may have Hughes coming back soon, Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Mac, Hill, is more than enough, despite the injuries.

We don't know how Hughes is going to look after surgery, Rhodes is always a risk to miss time due to injury, we don't know the effects of Mac's dislocated elbow, and Hill is suspended for half the season. Signing Fitzpatrick might also help next year when we probably lose Waynes to FA and/or trade Rhodes due to our cap issues. If Zimmer thinks he can get the most out of the guy, I'd ship a 3rd rounder to the Dolphins for him.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 10:31:01 AM   
jbusse

Excellent video/audio from last Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNY5ieNzqc
Post #: 510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 10:54:03 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Bahktari out would be huge

He has owned Grif

Last year doesn't count

From today's Strib:
A resurgent Everson Griffen, who had a sack and four pressures on Sunday, will presumably line up against David Bakhtiari, who is battling a back injury. Asked what Bakhtiari so successful, Griffen raised what’s become a familiar gripe against the Pro Bowl Packers left tackle.

“He holds pretty good,” Griffen said.

The NFL’s new emphasis on holding, Griffen said, has not changed that about Bakhtiari’s game.

“He still holds — he find a way. He’s a good holder. But he’s a good player, too,” Griffen said. “David Bakhtiari — each and every year we have a battle. He’s one of my top three left tackles in the game, for sure. It’s always a fun opportunity to go up against him, and go out there and have fun.”
Post #: 511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 11:34:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

He's back, but perhaps not 100%

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/13/packers-left-tackle-david-bakhtiari-back-to-practice/

Post #: 512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 11:36:04 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Minkah Fitzpatrick's slot coverage grades, both in college and the NFL, are some of the highest @PFF has ever seen.

Don't play him at safety; play him at slot corner, a position growing in value in today's NFL.

Oh, and trade for him. He's #good.

📰: https://t.co/BR24ppdkkD https://t.co/KByqVGv3Ab

Post #: 513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 11:43:17 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Depending upon the compensation involved, the #Vikings should consider trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick. His versatility would fit so well in this defense. He's under his rookie contract for two more seasons. I think the price will probably be too high, but it's worth exploring.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

Post #: 514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 11:44:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Vikings cornerback Mackensie Alexander not practicing today so not likely to play Sunday at Green Bay. Guard Pat Elflein practicing today at least on a limited basis. CBs Mike Hughes and Mark Fields also practicing at least on a limited basis.

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Post #: 515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 12:28:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

He has owned Grif

Last year doesn't count

And last year was when the NFL outlawed the Pukers OL cheating holding blocking pass technique
Post #: 516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 12:31:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

quote:

He has owned Grif

Last year doesn't count

From today's Strib:
A resurgent Everson Griffen, who had a sack and four pressures on Sunday, will presumably line up against David Bakhtiari, who is battling a back injury. Asked what Bakhtiari so successful, Griffen raised what’s become a familiar gripe against the Pro Bowl Packers left tackle.

“He holds pretty good,” Griffen said.

The NFL’s new emphasis on holding, Griffen said, has not changed that about Bakhtiari’s game.

“He still holds — he find a way. He’s a good holder. But he’s a good player, too,” Griffen said. “David Bakhtiari — each and every year we have a battle. He’s one of my top three left tackles in the game, for sure. It’s always a fun opportunity to go up against him, and go out there and have fun.”

Force Bakhtiari to torque that back early in the game.
Post #: 517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 1:08:39 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Depending upon the compensation involved, the #Vikings should consider trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick. His versatility would fit so well in this defense. He's under his rookie contract for two more seasons. I think the price will probably be too high, but it's worth exploring.

should we trade them our 4th for their 5th and fitz?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 1:36:32 PM   
beo

As a rule, I'm all about trading draft picks for known commodities... I think it's usually a better return than the risk of drafting a college player.

So I'd love to trade for a low cost proven corner.

That being said:

Rhodes 1st rd
Waynes 1st rd
Harrison 1st rd
Hughes 1st rd
Alexander 2nd rd

I just can't see Vikes pumping another high round (my guess is it would take a 2nd) into the secondary.
Spiels is going to hope everyone heals up and is strong for the stretch run.
Post #: 519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 1:36:37 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Umm, yes.

Especially considering Miami is currently asking for a 1st round pick, that's a hell of a steal for us...
Post #: 520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 1:40:04 PM   
Pager

We only trade for Fitz with the idea that we let Mac go at the end of the year. Fitz is cheap and under contract for several more years.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 2:12:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

He's a blue chip player at a premium position.

Post #: 522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 2:54:42 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He's a blue chip player at a premium position.

And has cap hits of only 3.7M, 4.5M and 5.2M.

The #11 overall pick in 2018, and had a very good rookie season last year.
Post #: 523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 3:14:22 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Umm, yes.

Especially considering Miami is currently asking for a 1st round pick, that's a hell of a steal for us...

yeah, truth is i was not familiar with him - i just read he was a 1st round pick last year...thought i had heard he was a mid-round pick who played well as a pro....

judging our present situation and looking at the players' bellow i'd say it would be a smart move to give up a 2nd...and i don't think even that's enough to be ready for next season....

Sean Borman@SeanBormanNFL

Under contract in 2020:

• Xavier Rhodes ($12.9M)
• Harrison Smith ($10.75M)
• Mike Hughes ($2.7M)
• Holton Hill ($665K)
• Marcus Epps ($627K)
• Kris Boyd ($612K)
• Fields
• Wharton

FA’s:
• Trae Waynes
• Anthony Harris
• Mackesie Alexander
• Jayron Kearse

Post #: 524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/13/2019 3:23:33 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

We only trade for Fitz with the idea that we let Mac go at the end of the year. Fitz is cheap and under contract for several more years.

we're already way over the cap next season...maybe we could squeeze in kearse and harris with team-friendly deals and the idea that we're letting smith go...then we draft a safety early next year....

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings CB Mike Hughes was a full participant in practice today. He's listed as doubtful for Sunday at Green Bay but returning on Sept. 22 against Oakland certainly looks to be a reasonable possibility.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 9/13/2019 3:26:51 PM >

Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode