Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2020 6:35:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Been a lot of talk about the 9er dline but how about that oline?

They simply manhandled a Packer front 7 that our oline couldn't block at all.

Kittle (a TE) was often matched up on LaDarius Smith and took care of business. A guy neither Elf nor Bradbury could block.

Depressing

Yeah, well, like I said before, with any luck we'll be able to stock our lineup with top 5-10 picks for a couple decades like the 9ers have.

They have been in the Super Bowl twice in the last 7 years now. I wish I could say that for our Vikings.

During the game Aikman made a point that Lynch's top priority was to get quality offensive and defensive linemen. It's interesting that the 49ers were mediocre for a long stretch, but then John Lynch was named GM in 2017 and it took him all of three years to get SF back to the Super Bowl. How long has RS been our GM? How much longer do we have to wait for Spielman to figure it out?

You need to feed him suggestions, speed up the pace.
Post #: 6076
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2020 9:54:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If Jared Goff and Jimmy Garoppolo can make it to the Super Bowl, I know damn sure Kirk Cousins can.

It’s all about finding the right pieces to connect the puzzle.

(Vikings Central on Twitter)

I would like to believe this, but it's worth pointing out that Goff was on his rookie contract.

That was my initial reaction, but on the other hand Garoppolo had the big contract like Cousins. I know that Cousins is a "statue" behind the line, but it's worth pointing out that he was sacked less and also received fewer QB hits than Garappolo. Cousins go to receiver (Thielen) missed a significant amount of time this season and so the second leading receiver on the team was Bisi Johnson who had 31 receptions. Garappolo had his "nooky blanket guy" in George Kittle who had more combined receptions than Rudolph and Smith Jr.

Another factor in the teams lack of greater success was the injury to Cook. He was going like gang busters early in the season and we were speculating that he might surpass the total yardage of Adrian Peterson in combined pass receiving and rushing, but then he got hurt and he wasn't the same for most of the remaining games. Garappolo didn't have that problem, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but what I'm thinking is that Cousins had a pretty decent season despite key injuries to the teams biggest offensive weapons and with what we all are saying was a suspect offensive line.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6077
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2020 10:08:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was also thinking about how both Super Bowl teams have stud tight ends- arguably the best two in the league. In prior years the Patriots had Gronk and I also believe the Eagles got big production from the tight end position in their Super year. This year the Vikings had a rookie tight end who only contributed two TD's. I believe that tight ends do play better with experience and age. Our best blocking tight end never played due to injury. When we look at the draft in depth we'll have to look at blocking tight end prospects. I'm not saying that we should draft a tight end in the first round because we have greater needs, but a solid blocking tight end should be available in the middle rounds.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6078
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2020 11:08:46 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I was also thinking about how both Super Bowl teams have stud tight ends- arguably the best two in the league. In prior years the Patriots had Gronk and I also believe the Eagles got big production from the tight end position in their Super year. This year the Vikings had a rookie tight end who only contributed two TD's. I believe that tight ends do play better with experience and age. Our best blocking tight end never played due to injury. When we look at the draft in depth we'll have to look at blocking tight end prospects. I'm not saying that we should draft a tight end in the first round because we have greater needs, but a solid blocking tight end should be available in the middle rounds.

Kelce is basically a slot receiver. Kittle however is like Gronk, he's an extra OT on the edge. Irv is definitely more of the slot receiver type of TE. Would be nice to find a solid blocking TE not sure Conklin is that guy. Also worth noting Pruitt looked good for the Titans this season, thought he showed promise here as well.
Post #: 6079
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/20/2020 11:22:50 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

Kittle (a TE) was often matched up on LaDarius Smith and took care of business. A guy neither Elf nor Bradbury could block.

Depressing

Yeah, well, like I said before, with any luck we'll be able to stock our lineup with top 5-10 picks for a couple decades like the 9ers have.

I liked how cleverly they used their high pick Alex Smith.

That was 2005 it's not really applicable here, not to mention if they chose Rodgers who knows what the Pack look like. They've beefed up the line with Bosa, Buckner and Armstead. Thomas is a bust however.

But they've really cashed in on Deebo and Warner. The 49ers had a plan they gave Shanahan a few years to get it figured out and now it looks like they have a top 3 coach for years. The chasm in the coaching on Sunday was as big as you get in the NFL.

The NFC has been a wide open conference for years, several teams have had their moments: Seattle, 49ers, Carolina, Rams, Eagles, Vikes, Packers, Cards, Falcons. The Saints have been arguably the most consistent and they have yet to reach the SB since winning it.
Post #: 6080
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 7:19:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Kelce is basically a slot receiver. Kittle however is like Gronk, he's an extra OT on the edge. Irv is definitely more of the slot receiver type of TE. Would be nice to find a solid blocking TE not sure Conklin is that guy. Also worth noting Pruitt looked good for the Titans this season, thought he showed promise here as well.

Sounds like we are going to Toll Morgan's contract so he will be back with the team next season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6081
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 7:49:48 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

The Wilfs are satisfied with just good enough to keep patrons in the seats and being the hot ticket in the Twin Ciites.

Sorry, not sorry. And not buying it either. I think the Wilfs would give their left feet (in addition to the multi-millions they have already spent) to be able to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 6082
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 8:03:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

The Wilfs are satisfied with just good enough to keep patrons in the seats and being the hot ticket in the Twin Ciites.

Sorry, not sorry. And not buying it either. I think the Wilfs would give their left feet (in addition to the multi-millions they have already spent) to be able to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Agree. The Wilf's have proven they want to win by building state of the art practice facilities which I believe all came out of their own pocket. There simply isn't any proof that they are satisfied. Hiring a new GM/HC every year you don't make it to the SB is simply knee jerk more than anything else.

Post #: 6083
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 8:28:21 AM   
Lars

Random thoughts....

I think the Wilfs are all in on winning a SB. That would be the one thing that would increase the value of their franchise more than any other (looking solely at it from a financial perspective). Plus, I think they love FB and the Vikes and want a trophy.

Lots of handwringing about how bad the GM, HC, QB, OL, CB, etc...are o nthis team and that we have soooooo much work to do. Yes, we need to improve, but we are not that far off. We are in the upper tier of teams, not lower.

We smoked the Saints in their house - one of the hottest teams this season - especially down the stretch. Then we ran into a rested, strong, young team and played a little flat. And lost. But look at what that same team did to GB (a 13-3 team)...they crushed them. It looked like the GB defense wasn't even trying. Jimmy threw 8 passes. 8!!!! That is emabarrasing. Rodgers....LaFluer...the Smith dudes...Adams...their revamped running game.....etc.....smoked!! So where does that leave them??!!

Yes, we have things to address. I would move on from several aging, high-priced guys, lean more on the younger guys and draft aggressively to fill those needs. No reason to think we won't be right back in the mix next year.

I like KC to beat SF, BTW.

If it's not clear, I enjoyed every second of GB getting trucked in that game.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 6084
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 8:49:05 AM   
drviking

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 6085
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 8:49:49 AM   
drviking

Cousins too

Increased trade value

Post #: 6086
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 8:52:47 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6087
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 9:02:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

WOW. Wasn't he like the 178th ranked CB out of 187?

Pro Bowl is truly a punch line.

Post #: 6088
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 9:17:20 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

At least Elflein didn't make it.
Post #: 6089
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 9:58:32 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

Depressing

I liked how cleverly they used their high pick Alex Smith.

That was 2005 it's not really applicable here, not to mention if they chose Rodgers who knows what the Pack look like. They've beefed up the line with Bosa, Buckner and Armstead. Thomas is a bust however.

But they've really cashed in on Deebo and Warner. The 49ers had a plan they gave Shanahan a few years to get it figured out and now it looks like they have a top 3 coach for years. The chasm in the coaching on Sunday was as big as you get in the NFL.

The NFC has been a wide open conference for years, several teams have had their moments: Seattle, 49ers, Carolina, Rams, Eagles, Vikes, Packers, Cards, Falcons. The Saints have been arguably the most consistent and they have yet to reach the SB since winning it.

I knew the pick was 2005 but used the example because of the bolded. I guess I could have also said Aldon Smith.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6090
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 10:08:12 AM   
David F.

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

Wowzers. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has more credibility than the NFL Pro Bowl.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6091
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 10:57:32 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

Wowzers. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has more credibility than the NFL Pro Bowl.

At least Rhodes plays football.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6092
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 10:57:42 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

It should. Total Apples and Oranges comparison here.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6093
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:01:14 AM   
Ragnarök

If Kirk Cousins has OCD does his over the top need to control every aspect of his play have an outcome on his performance on the field?

He plans out his day in 15 minute increments every day. He has a spreadsheet for it.

This may explain why in a football game when things go off schedule why he panics.. Its clear he stresses out showing huge anxiety on his face when things dont go as planned.

Also would have a role in time games are played. Creatures of habit, people with OCD often struggle with changes in routine, such as say start times, for instance a Monday Night game changing his entire routine to prepare.

BTW, not made up shit... google KIRK COUSINS OCD
Post #: 6094
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:01:42 AM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

At least Elflein didn't make it.

There is still time

Post #: 6095
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:02:20 AM   
ambear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Rhodes in the pro bowl.

So there is that

At least Rhodes plays football.

After this last season I'm not so sure.
Post #: 6096
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:04:01 AM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

If Kirk Cousins has OCD does his over the top need to control every aspect of his play have an outcome on his performance on the field?

He plans out his day in 15 minute increments every day. He has a spreadsheet for it.

This may explain why in a football game when things go off schedule why he panics.. Its clear he stresses out showing huge anxiety on his face when things dont go as planned.

Also would have a role in time games are played. Creatures of habit, people with OCD often struggle with changes in routine, such as say start times, for instance a Monday Night game changing his entire routine to prepare.

Meh.

It is what it is

Post #: 6097
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:04:56 AM   
drviking

Most of us that are not completely clouded know what Kirk is

Post #: 6098
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:09:08 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

I think I'll Google "Ragnarök Obsession" instead...
Post #: 6099
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 11:19:30 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I think I'll Google "Ragnarök Obsession" instead...

If you call it obsession to understand why your franchise QB who your team invested highly in to get OVER THE TOP and may be contemplating extending to further years of same... THEN YES... guess that I am... A true fan who obsesses over the details that allow my favorite team to be competitive with the only outcome cared about winning the Super Bowl....

How about this take on topic?

Kirk Cousins's play at the very end of losing games or when he is under assault is actually much better then his play at the beginning of games or when he has time. When he no longer has the option to think and is purely in the "fight or flight" mode his skills and decision making are elevated, when this is going on he has nothing to lose and no time to contemplate. Some on here claim he is scared which I disagree with, the fact that he stays in the pocket trying to extend the play foolishly indicates he is not afraid of contact. It appears that he is processing to much information on the conscious level instead of unconscious level. If he is afraid of anything its letting others down and this fear creates a hesitation, paralysis of analysis. Could this be overcome? Yes but super ****ing hard and the participant would need to be all in. Also the final outcome would have negative side effects in so much that the people in his life would most likely not like the "New" Kirk. Newtons third law, "for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction". Basically the kind and caring Kirk would become seeming callous. This is how Rodgers and Brady come off, aloof. And you don't have to be a prick to be aloof.

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/21/2020 11:20:48 AM >
Post #: 6100
Page:   <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode