Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 12:56:44 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

i would not extend kirk. i would not extend Zim.

i would not panic if they do extend kirk

I think there is a way to get the prize with kirk, I do not think it will be BECAUSE of kirk, it might have to be a 9ers-ish type plan

get more Oline

i have said the last 3 years, this team will go as far as the Oline takes us

it will be interesting to see what happens with Defense this offseason

we do have to find a way to replace a probowl CB

No doubt about OL and DL strengths needed...

GM and HC should be under heavy scrutiny in their final year.

Im OK (YES REALLY) with extending Kirk to more years out with a heavy prorated signing bonus and low 2020 cap number. BUT this would have to be a more traditional type NFL contract with voidable or garbage numbers at end of contract as all other QBs get. Not this fully guaranteed contract with no trade clause stuff, that is just not sustainable to this teams well being at this point. I think that will be a huge sticking point between this GM and Agent for Kirk in any deal being made this year and Kirk has shown he has no problem playing on year to year deals in his past.

AS FOR OUR PROBOWL DB... does that mean we can get more in trade for him now?

Now there is something we can all agree on.

+1

for better or worse, at some point you have to turn the page

we are a good team, can we get to the next level with the current regime

I am not convinced we can with Zim at HC....IDK

we will see

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 6126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 12:59:28 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Again, how does a 3 year, fully guaranteed contract differ from a "traditional" 5 year contract where only the first 3 years are guaranteed?

Guess the NO TRADE clause is biggie there... More so its just Kirk and his agents feel they need to break the norm of NFL contracts and I dont feel they have leverage or should be allowed to do so in his next contract, especially for the Vikings?
Post #: 6127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 12:59:39 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Again, how does a 3 year, fully guaranteed contract differ from a "traditional" 5 year contract where only the first 3 years are guaranteed?

its not

in fact, i liked the contract

3 year commitment and then out if needed. Didnt mortgage the future, no dead cap money

take a shot, see what happens, move on

if a QB is there in the draft take it.

its an interesting FAQB year this year....going to be fun to see how it all shakes out

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 6128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 1:10:37 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

I think there is a way to get the prize with kirk, I do not think it will be BECAUSE of kirk, it might have to be a 9ers-ish type plan

get more Oline

Could his home state teams(Miami, Jacksonville) think they could get him back on track for a 7th rounder?

If traded, the team that gets him would face a $10.5 million cap hit unless the contract is restructered. Rhodes would seem to have an incentive to restructure.
Post #: 6129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 1:16:34 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

get more Oline

Could his home state teams(Miami, Jacksonville) think they could get him back on track for a 7th rounder?

If traded, the team that gets him would face a $10.5 million cap hit unless the contract is restructered. Rhodes would seem to have an incentive to restructure.

Is there an incentive in his contract this year that just increased his earnings by making the Pro Bowl? THAT WOULD BE AN INJUSTICE!

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/21/2020 1:31:02 PM >
Post #: 6130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 2:38:44 PM   
Ragnarök

Kirk Cousins
2020 Contract details $31,000,000 base
Contract Notes:
Annual Workout Bonus: $500,000
Full No Trade Clause
No Transition Tag after 2020
Incentives:
Super Bowl Win: $500,000
Top 5 Points Scored + Super Bowl Win: $1M
Top 3 Points Scored + Super Bowl Win: $1.5M
Top 8 Points Scored + Super Bowl MVP: $2M

So if Kirk wins the Super Bowl next year and is MVP as well as top 3 in points scored he will cash a check for $35.5M

Seems very worth it to me for a Vikings Super Bowl in 2020 season.

Im all for going into this upcoming season with final year contracts on all three phases, QB, GM and HC...

No extentions or pushing things out, all three can prove it or move on in 2021. Will mean doing a bit more than past two years with maybe a little less known commodities as we let several players go and rely on young guys on team and draft prospects. Cant see GM taking a shot at QBOTF in draft as his cards will be all in to shore up as much as he can through draft of other team needs. Meaning it will be up to coaching to work their ass off bringing young guys up to speed and not just penciling in the same old (many tired) starters who never get a real shot at being supplanted by real talent as in past Zimmer regime.

Boom or bust, as it should be in final fling with this group. Hope the owners see it same way...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/21/2020 3:04:40 PM >
Post #: 6131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 2:39:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Im not trying to be totally polorizing on Kirk, his play or his contract, but they are big issues moving forward as should be with any team... All tied directly to issue long term with GM and HC. and all encapsulating the ability to sign strengths to fill holes and be competitive moving forward. Some very tough decisions by upper management will impact this team for another half a decade potentially in next months.

As for replacement QB, Im under impression if you continue to struggle to get pro bowl level or at least upper NFL O line play you must find a QB that is at least semi mobile and can make plays off schedule. Prefer to draft a young talent and take a chance they develop. That along with signing an available known journman talent for options. That said this can not be implemented until Kirk plays out his time and is allowed to walk from our cap in 2021. Unless Im missing some magical unicorn situational out that allows us to move on from Kirk this year its all his game.

How we play our cards on these issues in offseason this year will impact all other positions and management for future.

It is almost like you think the Vikings have every hole on the team filled but Kirk? KC, SF, GB, and Balt are in a higher class than we are talent wise.....SF has the best team speed on Defense and best Run Blocking in NFC, KC has the Best Speed AFC on Offense, Baltimore has the best running game in the AFC along with Tenessee.
Was Zimmer wrong on the running game?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 2:40:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

As much as many spout out about Zimmer and Spielman they kick out players every draft & UDFA season....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/21/2020 3:10:42 PM >

Post #: 6133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:03:52 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Im not trying to be totally polorizing on Kirk, his play or his contract, but they are big issues moving forward as should be with any team... All tied directly to issue long term with GM and HC. and all encapsulating the ability to sign strengths to fill holes and be competitive moving forward. Some very tough decisions by upper management will impact this team for another half a decade potentially in next months.

As for replacement QB, Im under impression if you continue to struggle to get pro bowl level or at least upper NFL O line play you must find a QB that is at least semi mobile and can make plays off schedule. Prefer to draft a young talent and take a chance they develop. That along with signing an available known journman talent for options. That said this can not be implemented until Kirk plays out his time and is allowed to walk from our cap in 2021. Unless Im missing some magical unicorn situational out that allows us to move on from Kirk this year its all his game.

How we play our cards on these issues in offseason this year will impact all other positions and management for future.

It is almost like you think the Vikings have every hole on the team filled but Kirk? KC, SF, GB, and Balt are in a higher class than we are talent wise.....SF has the best team speed on Defense and best Run Blocking in NFC, KC has the Best Speed AFC on Offense, Baltimore has the best running game in the AFC along with Tenessee.

If he wants to run so bad it was wrong to pay two WR and a QB a combined $50 million.

That’s like some kid crying about wanting a PS4 six months after he bought an XBox

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/21/2020 3:06:33 PM >
Post #: 6134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:10:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

If he wants to run so bad it was wrong to pay two WR and a QB a combined $50 million.

Kirk threw for 26 TDs this year; on a running team. Pretty damn good unless you want a Tecmo Bowl Offense.
8th in TDs (with Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson) ahead of Brady

Post #: 6135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:11:12 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

And dont forget all that at the cost of neglecting the OL not only hampering your run first quest but also greatly deminishing your returns on QB and WR.

This is what you get when you have a HC and GM with differing mantras as to how an offense runs. Couple this with a revolving door at OC and schemes changing make for frustrating management of players used to their strengths meeting the value of the cap hit...

And make no mistake we see this on defense as well...
Post #: 6136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:15:49 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kirk threw for 26 TDs this year; on a running team. Pretty damn good unless you want a Tecmo Bowl Offense.

So what are they? Seems to me their identity crisis on offense is a reason they have won so few big games the past two years.

If you just look at the stats against playoff teams the shine falls off PDQ.
Post #: 6137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:16:10 PM   
Phil Riewer

Was Diggs underutilized this year?
63 Receptions 1130 Yards 6 TDs

Post #: 6138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:20:02 PM   
Lars

Let's not get too crazy and overreact, too.

Imagine if SEA would have scored on that last play of the regular season. SF does not have a bye. They have to go on the road, after losing, to PHI and a pretty tough run defense. If they win, they go play another road game against SEA/GB/NO.

Who and when you play matters a lot, too. 22% chance to win in divisional round if you are the road team. The BYE matters!

GB was 13-3. But they were 18th on offense and 18th on defense.

NO was 13-3 and we spanked them in their house.

The Vikes have lots of very good players all over that roster. They have a QB that I would rate as a B+ - which is good enough. I would prefer "elite", but that is not a realistic expectation right now.

Reinvest in OL, DL, CB and 3WR. With the draft and FA, that is very doable.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 6139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:21:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So what are they? Seems to me their identity crisis on offense is a reason they have won so few big games the past two years.

If you just look at the stats against playoff teams the shine falls off PDQ.

Our Oline...we almost came back and beat GB at GB via Cook and Cousins. Clearly the Vikes Oline and Dline need upgrades. SF/TEN/GB show us this (best in the game on both sides, NO just behind). Kirk and Cook had no chance against SF........the only way to beat SF is wear them down and we didn't do that early....short passes to FB/TE, etc. grind....GB actually was starting to move on them but they were impossible in the 1st half.

What SF did to GB is the blueprint on SF also but you have to get a couple long drives in early....I think KC can do that with Mahomes feet (just get first downs early; exactly opposite of what we did----scored early on a deep pass).

We beat NO because 2 of their 4 DLine was out and they don't have a dominate run game.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/21/2020 3:22:41 PM >

Post #: 6140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:26:54 PM   
Lars

KC is a 1.5 point fav?

I will take KC -1.5 all day long.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 6141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:35:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And dont forget all that at the cost of neglecting the OL not only hampering your run first quest but also greatly deminishing your returns on QB and WR.

This is what you get when you have a HC and GM with differing mantras as to how an offense runs. Couple this with a revolving door at OC and schemes changing make for frustrating management of players used to their strengths meeting the value of the cap hit...

And make no mistake we see this on defense as well...

Diminishing returns? Look at 2018 versus 2019....which team did better? 2019 we passed 466 times, ran 476 times.....2018 we passed 606 times, ran 357 times.

Run to Pass was almost 50/50 in 2019.

SF passed 478/ ran 498
Balt passed 440/ran 596
Tenn passed 448/ran 445
GB passed 573/ran 411
NO passed 581/ran 401
NE passed 620/ran 447
KC passes 576/ran 375

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/21/2020 3:45:37 PM >

Post #: 6142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:41:48 PM   
Ragnarök

IMHO in the era of Fantasy Football everyone is an armchair GM enamored by stats and flashy numbers, all to quickly forgetting about how plug and play equates when considered against what schemes the coordinators run and how that player fits both in play potential and cap issues.

Secondly and most overlooked is the issue of team chemistry... Players rise and fall in value to their team by what attitude they bring and how it equates to raising the level of play for all around them.

For that alone I would be willing to move on from Diggs and his pouting at times... get some value from him in trade potential while his numbers are good, Even with our admitted lack of WR skillset at the moment I would love to plug in a cheaper vet and evalute further some youth skillsets as well as lean heavier on our rookie TE... Use the cap for an upgrade at OL and run even more if Zimm wants... Hell run like SF did in the playoffs if you want with a stud or two on OL...

Have no idea where it would get us cap wise to move on from Diggs, as well as consider Rudy and even oft injured Cook, use the cap space for more glaring needs... Mattison, Boone, Ham and even Abdullah , if need be there are some good vet options at RB depth as well, just like SF did with semi no names at RB, its what Kubiaks system does with running backs (just as SF)

Let the young hungry skill set players take a step, Irv Smith, Alexander Mattison and Bisi / Dillon Mitchell could be huge is given a chance and opens up so much ability to re up some quality OL prospects.

Hell if available consider bringing back Jet if cut by SF and how about swapping Keenum for Mannion to back up Kirk...(oh the fun that would be)
Post #: 6143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:49:39 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

IMHO in the era of Fantasy Football everyone is an armchair GM enamored by stats and flashy numbers, all to quickly forgetting about how plug and play equates when considered against what schemes the coordinators run and how that player fits both in play potential and cap issues.

Secondly and most overlooked is the issue of team chemistry... Players rise and fall in value to their team by what attitude they bring and how it equates to raising the level of play for all around them.

For that alone I would be willing to move on from Diggs and his pouting at times... get some value from him in trade potential while his numbers are good, Even with our admitted lack of WR skillset at the moment I would love to plug in a cheaper vet and evalute further some youth skillsets as well as lean heavier on our rookie TE... Use the cap for an upgrade at OL and run even more if Zimm wants... Hell run like SF did in the playoffs if you want with a stud or two on OL...

Have no idea where it would get us cap wise to move on from Diggs, as well as consider Rudy and even oft injured Cook, use the cap space for more glaring needs... Mattison, Boone, Ham and even Abdullah , if need be there are some good vet options at RB depth as well, just like SF did with semi no names at RB, its what Kubiaks system does with running backs (just as SF)

Let the young hungry skill set players take a step, Irv Smith, Alexander Mattison and Bisi / Dillon Mitchell could be huge is given a chance and opens up so much ability to re up some quality OL prospects.

Hell if available consider bringing back Jet if cut by SF and how about swapping Keenum for Mannion to back up Kirk...(oh the fun that would be)

The one thing you don't do---bring back an rb that has been hurt almost every year of their existence; Asiata was more valuable as he could play each week. Stud RBs & WR are found after the 3rd round in the draft every year. Cook is hurt a lot; not going to get much back even if he is a top 3-5 rb in the league.

Lots of talent on this team that barely played: Irv, Boone, Collins, Holmes, Hercules, Meadors, Samia, Dozier, Odin, Watts, Udoh, Hollins, Mattison, and Boyd.

Hollins has passed Mitchell.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/21/2020 3:56:09 PM >

Post #: 6144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 3:53:43 PM   
Lars

I like Cook a lot, too. But there is NO way I give a huge contract to a RB. We did that once with AD.

If you spend the resources in the trenches, you have much more flexibility elsewhere, IMHO.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 6145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 4:54:55 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

The one thing you don't do---bring back an rb that has been hurt almost every year of their existence; Asiata was more valuable as he could play each week. Stud RBs & WR are found after the 3rd round in the draft every year. Cook is hurt a lot; not going to get much back even if he is a top 3-5 rb in the league.

Lots of talent on this team that barely played: Irv, Boone, Collins, Holmes, Hercules, Meadors, Samia, Dozier, Odin, Watts, Udoh, Hollins, Mattison, and Boyd.

Hollins has passed Mitchell.

If Spielman is smart, he shops Cook this offseason while his value is highest. Could we get a 1st and a 3rd or 4th for him? If so, pull the trigger and roll with Mattison next year. And draft a QBOTF, like Jordan Love, in the 1st rd. Then, in two years the team is not saddled with massive QB and RB contracts, and they can use that money and draft picks on the offensive and defensive lines.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 6146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 5:23:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

KC is a 1.5 point fav?

I will take KC -1.5 all day long.

I will take the team with the better defense and the better running game all day long

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 5:25:25 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

I like Cook a lot, too. But there is NO way I give a huge contract to a RB. We did that once with AD.

If you spend the resources in the trenches, you have much more flexibility elsewhere, IMHO.

The same guy is still in charge. I'd bet the farm Spielman will grossly over pay Cook.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 5:45:49 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Was Diggs underutilized this year?
63 Receptions 1130 Yards 6 TDs

Absolutely not, and good point Phil. Diggs and AT are very good compliments to each other and I'd go so far as to say that it would have been a different season if not for the several missed games by AT.

We have to continue with the O-line, O'Niel and Kline were solid additions, I believe Bradbury will be much better next year for two reasons. One he's had a year to understand where he needs to be physically, two, he will have a better LG next to him next year. We all know and understand you simply can't build an elite O-line in one or two years, it takes at least three years. Yes, it's Ricks and Zimmers fault that it is where it is, but I also believe there are people in house now that know what we need and will get it.

Let's not forget one very key thing before we start talking about players extending thier contracts, next year is a CBA year. Not many guys are going to extend if they think that if they wait until next year, they will be in a much more lucrative position, especially top self QB's, but also many others that are on the top of their game.

As you can see by the teams that are at the top of the NFL, there are a couple of ways you can build a team to get there. You just have to make a decision and go for it. Zim tried a couple years back with the , "build the best defense in the league and an average offense and win that way" approach, it almost worked, but now that defense is ageing. Shifting to the run game/play action is the next step, problem being that the O-line is still under construction. Cousins isn't the guy you want throwing the ball 30 times a game, more like 20, he's better when the defense is off balance. So, get him to the point where the run game is tops in the NFL, see what happens from there. I'd say we are closer to that than to building that elite #1 defense again. Our receivers are a perfect compliment to the scheme we put in this year, we just are a few players away from perfecting it. Cousins isn't going to "think" you to a championship, he needs to react, finish the o-line and he can do that.
Post #: 6149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2020 7:56:11 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Keenum and many QBs do many similar "brain activity" Keenum does hours of VR.

Maybe research what others do so there is a basis of comparison?

I know what QBs do to feel they are getting a competitive edge, I clearly post a link above showing Brady does much of what Kirk does... That wasnt my real motive to say he does these things, its more so to understand that maybe the level he takes it isnt helping, possibly tormenting him to overthink far too much.

It is real that he is hot and cold, good Kirk and Bad Kirk, it seems to translate some to in game elements but far surpasses shitty OL play making him panic. Its something else, the dynamic alone of winning percentage playing a normal Sunday day game as compared to non regular start time games is REAL. And its not correlative to the record of W/L of team he is playing.

I have been very heavy handed and outspoken in my disdain for the Vikings signing Kirk from the start and it was heavily based on this variable that seems to dictate his play and ability to be consistant. Yes he can be a great QB and have incredible stats, make dazzling plays... But something in how ge is wired is always there ready to derail it all... Its just hard to justify that in a franchize QB and continue to go all in.

Everyone has their own opinions on Kirk Cousins. I myself dont see him as getting us to the end game.

My analysis is pretty simple. When Kirk has time - he's elite. When he doesn't - he's not. Like almost every other QB not named Mahomes and Wilson.

Blah blah "most time in nfl". It's a garbage stat since we roll out at one of the highest frequency. I would love to see how much time Cousins has/takes in straight drop back situations. We still look pretty atrocious in pass blocking in those situations.

I wanted Cousins. Still do. Kyle Shanahan mourned when they resigned Jimmy G - ending the option to sign with Cousins. McVay almost got a tampering charge he was so enthusiastic when asked about Cousins prior to him hitting the market.

I take a lot more stock in guys that have coached with him and turned Jimmy G and Goff into Superbowl starting QBs than anyone else's opinion.

To me it's upgrade the oline, another year in the system, and improve game/opponent scheming. I think we can win with Cousins.

I like your thoughts and totally agree on what coaches and GMs see in Cousins... he is enamoring in stats and potential.

I will say Im not sure his entire play or lack there of, decision making and bad Kirk with the grimmace doesnt directly relate to pressure of the game, whether it be OL breakdown or come back wins, end of game or overtime pressure point decision making. To a point he may be better in those situations, and as we have seen inexplicably at times especially in first quarter of games when series of plays have been planned and practiced if things go not as Kirk planned in his head prior he seems to change his persona and play. I think he plays better when he just lets it rip and doesnt overthink everything and that may come from just how he is wired.

What Shanahan and McVay see in Cousins has NOTHING to do with stats or potential. Those guys know the play call, the read progression, what it takes to execute their offense. Did Shanahan care when Jimmy only threw it 11 times????? Nada to do with stats.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6150
Page:   <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode