Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 12:22:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I already knew this WR class was filled with depth, but after watching Senior Bowl practice today, I'm even more impressed.

Van Jefferson, K.J. Hill, Michael Pittman Jr., Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay are just a few names gaining attention. It's a good year to pick a WR!

(Just think about all of the WRs that aren't at the Senior Bowl, too. If you're a team, take your pick. You can choose between big-bodied possession, shifty slot and dynamic vertical threats.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

I want a big-bodied possession, shifty slot and dynamic vertical threat guy.

Can we clone Calvin Johnson and draft him?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 2:29:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

IMHO in the era of Fantasy Football everyone is an armchair GM enamored by stats and flashy numbers, all to quickly forgetting about how plug and play equates when considered against what schemes the coordinators run and how that player fits both in play potential and cap issues.

Secondly and most overlooked is the issue of team chemistry... Players rise and fall in value to their team by what attitude they bring and how it equates to raising the level of play for all around them.

For that alone I would be willing to move on from Diggs and his pouting at times... get some value from him in trade potential while his numbers are good, Even with our admitted lack of WR skillset at the moment I would love to plug in a cheaper vet and evalute further some youth skillsets as well as lean heavier on our rookie TE... Use the cap for an upgrade at OL and run even more if Zimm wants... Hell run like SF did in the playoffs if you want with a stud or two on OL...

Have no idea where it would get us cap wise to move on from Diggs, as well as consider Rudy and even oft injured Cook, use the cap space for more glaring needs... Mattison, Boone, Ham and even Abdullah , if need be there are some good vet options at RB depth as well, just like SF did with semi no names at RB, its what Kubiaks system does with running backs (just as SF)

Let the young hungry skill set players take a step, Irv Smith, Alexander Mattison and Bisi / Dillon Mitchell could be huge is given a chance and opens up so much ability to re up some quality OL prospects.

Hell if available consider bringing back Jet if cut by SF and how about swapping Keenum for Mannion to back up Kirk...(oh the fun that would be)

The one thing you don't do---bring back an rb that has been hurt almost every year of their existence; Asiata was more valuable as he could play each week. Stud RBs & WR are found after the 3rd round in the draft every year. Cook is hurt a lot; not going to get much back even if he is a top 3-5 rb in the league.

Lots of talent on this team that barely played: Irv, Boone, Collins, Holmes, Hercules, Meadors, Samia, Dozier, Odin, Watts, Udoh, Hollins, Mattison, and Boyd.

Hollins has passed Mitchell.

You know this is lots of talent... how?

A lot of them played against the Bears 1st stringers....Didn't miss a beat with Holmes, Watts, Udoh, and Hollins getting PT. Hercules, Dozier, Oden, and Irv have already been mixed into games and PT prior to game 17.

I think you can just watch Udoh and Watts and see that they have athleticism and power.

Holmes has had 2 years to do something and hasn't done much. Just like Jaleel Johnson who came on a little bit his 3rd year.

Odenigbo should be signed long term.

Put Hollins in weight room and we might have something there. Still draft a speed guy.
Post #: 6202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 2:32:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Gary Kubiak names as OC. Works for me.

"The recurring theme in Kubiak’s career has been his ability to manufacture top 10 offensives with decent, but not great quarterbacks: Matt Schaub in Houston, Joe Flacco in Baltimore, the Remains of Peyton Manning in Denver."

"All tolled, Kubiak has had a top ten (or better) offensive in points and/or yards in 16 of his 22 years as either offensive coordinator or head coach."

Good choice. Better than his son.
Post #: 6203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 5:01:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I already knew this WR class was filled with depth, but after watching Senior Bowl practice today, I'm even more impressed.

Van Jefferson, K.J. Hill, Michael Pittman Jr., Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay are just a few names gaining attention. It's a good year to pick a WR!

(Just think about all of the WRs that aren't at the Senior Bowl, too. If you're a team, take your pick. You can choose between big-bodied possession, shifty slot and dynamic vertical threats.

(Daniel House on Twitter)

I want a big-bodied possession, shifty slot and dynamic vertical threat guy.

Who catches the ball when thrown to. When I see a deep draft in an area of need then I think an opportunity to do well in the middle to late rounds.

Plus he needs to run crisp routes. Smart type.

Being a local favorite wouldn't hurt.

So big, shifty, vertical, catches, great routes. Should be there at 25. Trade up to 20... max!
Post #: 6204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 8:23:34 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

IMHO in the era of Fantasy Football everyone is an armchair GM enamored by stats and flashy numbers, all to quickly forgetting about how plug and play equates when considered against what schemes the coordinators run and how that player fits both in play potential and cap issues.

Secondly and most overlooked is the issue of team chemistry... Players rise and fall in value to their team by what attitude they bring and how it equates to raising the level of play for all around them.

For that alone I would be willing to move on from Diggs and his pouting at times... get some value from him in trade potential while his numbers are good, Even with our admitted lack of WR skillset at the moment I would love to plug in a cheaper vet and evalute further some youth skillsets as well as lean heavier on our rookie TE... Use the cap for an upgrade at OL and run even more if Zimm wants... Hell run like SF did in the playoffs if you want with a stud or two on OL...

Have no idea where it would get us cap wise to move on from Diggs, as well as consider Rudy and even oft injured Cook, use the cap space for more glaring needs... Mattison, Boone, Ham and even Abdullah , if need be there are some good vet options at RB depth as well, just like SF did with semi no names at RB, its what Kubiaks system does with running backs (just as SF)

Let the young hungry skill set players take a step, Irv Smith, Alexander Mattison and Bisi / Dillon Mitchell could be huge is given a chance and opens up so much ability to re up some quality OL prospects.

Hell if available consider bringing back Jet if cut by SF and how about swapping Keenum for Mannion to back up Kirk...(oh the fun that would be)

The one thing you don't do---bring back an rb that has been hurt almost every year of their existence; Asiata was more valuable as he could play each week. Stud RBs & WR are found after the 3rd round in the draft every year. Cook is hurt a lot; not going to get much back even if he is a top 3-5 rb in the league.

Lots of talent on this team that barely played: Irv, Boone, Collins, Holmes, Hercules, Meadors, Samia, Dozier, Odin, Watts, Udoh, Hollins, Mattison, and Boyd.

Hollins has passed Mitchell.

You know this is lots of talent... how?

A lot of them played against the Bears 1st stringers....Didn't miss a beat with Holmes, Watts, Udoh, and Hollins getting PT. Hercules, Dozier, Oden, and Irv have already been mixed into games and PT prior to game 17.

Hopefully the Vikes can make use of that game while building our 2020 roster.
Post #: 6205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 10:51:04 PM   
JT2

Wouldn't have been a real stretch to land Metcalf or Brown, on a team lacking WR depth. Football philosophy come into play here?

Meanwhile, Bruce is thinking we should draft another RB in the 2nd round.

How many RB's do we need? That's rhetorical. We need them all, because we are run first.

Cook and Diggs are the best offensive players on our roster. Any plan that includes getting rid of them is foolish, unless we are doing a complete rebuild.
Post #: 6206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 11:03:04 PM   
JT2

Trying real hard to make sense of what we are doing.

As long as most of us have been in here, our OL has sucked. We want to Run, yet we were ultra-aggressive going after a QB, and we give him Treadwell?

Run first, but throw big iron at a QB, and give him two WR's? Tannehill would have made more sense for our philosophy than Cousins.

We're a little disjointed in how we put the pieces together. Almost clueless, I say.
Post #: 6207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/23/2020 11:58:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Wouldn't have been a real stretch to land Metcalf or Brown, on a team lacking WR depth. Football philosophy come into play here?

Meanwhile, Bruce is thinking we should draft another RB in the 2nd round.

How many RB's do we need? That's rhetorical. We need them all, because we are run first.

Cook and Diggs are the best offensive players on our roster. Any plan that includes getting rid of them is foolish, unless we are doing a complete rebuild.

I enjoy trying to think out of the box early in the draft season. I was thinking about drafting a really fast running back because that's what the Niners utilize, but I didn't see any speedy prospects except the one who decided to return to school for another season.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 12:00:45 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This article highlights a number of the Senior Bowl prospects.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872844-senior-bowl-daily-notebook-justin-herbert-shows-hes-a-clear-top-qb-prospect

Edit: Should have posted this in the draft forum.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/24/2020 12:02:00 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 7:09:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

As long as most of us have been in here, our OL has sucked. We want to Run, yet we were ultra-aggressive going after a QB, and we give him Treadwell?

Run first, but throw big iron at a QB, and give him two WR's? Tannehill would have made more sense for our philosophy than Cousins.

We're a little disjointed in how we put the pieces together. Almost clueless, I say.

Denny believed in a good Oline and we made the playoffs for a sustained stretch.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 7:16:55 AM   
Todd M

2020 for me will just be about accepting things. It reads like such an ego trip to bitch about player movement or coaching schemes. Like even if you are smart enough to see things without the benefit of retrospect , and who really is, it doesn't count for anything.

30 teams had this or that type of QB or offensive philosophy, defensive strategy, weaknesses and strengths in various areas...and they're all sitting home watching the SB this year.

I love this team and the joy it brings me and I'm going to get up for them every year until they win it all. And lmfao...after as well. Reading people say they would walk away afterwards sounds like someone saying they'd cut their dicks off after finally getting their first BJ.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 1/24/2020 7:26:30 AM >
Post #: 6211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 7:18:17 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Denny believed in a good Oline and we made the playoffs for a sustained stretch.

And what did it get us vs the last x number of years?
Post #: 6212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 7:33:46 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

About it. I think the rule of thumb is to build from the inside out. Spiel goes outside in.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 7:44:28 AM   
Todd M

I doubt the 1st Vikings team to win it all will have the best OL, QB, coach, philosophy....no, I would guess the guys that finally do it will be a mixes group that just somehow comes together and with a little luck takes it home.

When teams dominate and go 14-2 through 16-0 and don't win it all all our talk is just fluff.
Post #: 6214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 8:19:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

And what did it get us vs the last x number of years?

The ability to have a chance against the better teams in the playoffs and consistently make the playoffs. You have to get in the tourney each year. Zimmer has been in every other year. His achilles has been the Oline in the bad years....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/24/2020 8:20:41 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 10:02:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

We finally have the kicking game ironed out.....for now
Post #: 6216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 10:06:45 AM   
Jeff Jesser

For all of Zimm/Spiel's accomplishments (and you can't deny there's been a few) they have massive flaws. I don't think it's any coincidence that they have 1 year left on their deals. Same as Cousins.

Last chance to fix the Olin and get over the hump with this crew. If the Wilf's extend them at this point we have bigger issues, IMO.

That being said it's kind of a crappy situation to be in. Dead end org right now without a real, foreseeable future?
Post #: 6217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 10:39:51 AM   
drviking

quote:

2020 for me will just be about accepting things. It reads like such an ego trip to bitch about player movement or coaching schemes. Like even if you are smart enough to see things without the benefit of retrospect , and who really is, it doesn't count for anything.

30 teams had this or that type of QB or offensive philosophy, defensive strategy, weaknesses and strengths in various areas...and they're all sitting home watching the SB this year.

I love this team and the joy it brings me and I'm going to get up for them every year until they win it all. And lmfao...after as well. Reading people say they would walk away afterwards sounds like someone saying they'd cut their dicks off after finally getting their first BJ.

Some of us are walking away from the NFL, not the Vikings

Kirk had to sit and wait for a while on the bench before being told..hey, we won

The dumb rules

The stupid replays

The changing game.

It's more like cutting your dick off because it has cancer

YMMV

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 6218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 12:15:12 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

Some of us are walking away from the NFL, not the Vikings

Kirk had to sit and wait for a while on the bench before being told..hey, we won

The dumb rules

The stupid replays

The changing game.

It's more like cutting your dick off because it has cancer

YMMV

I'd still keep my dick.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 12:45:08 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

You may be on to why …. this was one of my calmest Viking seasons on record
Constant Kicker Angst is not a fun way to go thru life, kids.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 1:37:59 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Neither the K or P are signed for next season. Just sayin...

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 1:42:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Neither the K or P are signed for next season. Just sayin...

Both deserve a couple year deals.

Post #: 6222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 1:52:02 PM   
Bill Jandro

Just an observation but to me it doesn't appear Spielman and Zim are on the same page.

Zim wants a physical smash mouth team that can run the football esp when teams gear up to stop it.

Spielman seems to like star power among skill players but they struggle w/o the needed blocking against good teams.

More resources have been invested in to the oline the last few seasons. but it took an actual meltdown (2016) or is grease fire the better term for them to actually address this unit in the early rounds.

Even with the recent investments this unit clearly isn't where it needs to be esp for Zimmer ball.

Post #: 6223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 2:39:36 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That's been RS' way of operating since he got here. He severely neglects a position until it's almost criminal. He did it with LB's, WR's and now Oline.
Post #: 6224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/24/2020 2:49:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

Cowboys hire George Edwards for LB coach

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 1/24/2020 2:50:28 PM >

Post #: 6225
Page:   <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  247 248 [249] 250 251   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode