Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 8:39:46 AM   
Arlowe84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Here is a video of Doleman making a sack. He was awesome in his prime.

https://twitter.com/VikeFans/status/1222505466376400896?s=20

Dominant

Little know fact, Doleman was actually drafted as LB, when team realized he was a better downhill player, epic results.

Many of thought we would do the same with Barr as opposed to him having just a middling career. Could have been great things with him as well.
Post #: 6276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 9:16:43 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

quote:

Dominant

Little know fact, Doleman was actually drafted as LB, when team realized he was a better downhill player, epic results.

Many of thought we would do the same with Barr as opposed to him having just a middling career. Could have been great things with him as well.

I remember an interception he made while struggling at lb

Took a long time for the coaches to realize while tall and quick he wasn’t Matt Blair II

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 9:43:52 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Sad News.

Chris Doleman passed away last night.

He was only 58.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/hall-of-famer-chris-doleman-dies-at-the-age-of-58/

I knew he had been sick. Doleman was an amazing player and without question ahead of his time with all the strip sacks. Might be the best ever at the swipe the ball out of the QBs hands.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 10:25:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Dominant

Barr doesn't have the toughness Doleman had.

Barr would have to put on some weight to play DE.
Post #: 6279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 11:02:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

More highlights of Doleman in Purple.

I remember hearing about Doleman by a draft guru guy just before his draft. I was really happy when we selected him. I didn't live in Minnesota then and it was before the internet so I didn't get much info on him or the team then.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 11:08:12 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Here he was playing linebacker as a rookie:

https://twitter.com/VikeFans/status/1222542064925188097?s=20

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 11:15:37 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Bummer about Doleman. One of my all time favorite players! I used to love watching him get strip sacks. Great memories as a kid growing up in the late 80s and early 90s. That line if Doleman, Millard, Thomas and Noga was pretty fun to watch. Too bad Millard couldn't stay healthy with Doleman. I'm very sad to hear Doleman has passed. He always seemed like a good dude to me.
Post #: 6282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 11:20:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

More information on the greatness of Chris Doleman.

https://twitter.com/SKORNorth/status/1222568740266618880?s=20

Post #: 6283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 2:46:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Jerry Gray has just been given the job of secondary coach for the Packers. Well, if they had to deal with Bret Favre playing for us, then I guess we can deal with this, too. Of course our secondary will look very different next season. Different players and a new coach, Daronte Jones.

Post #: 6284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 8:48:06 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Dominant

Lean and quick. Long arms, strong hands. I actually think he wore the sleeves to accentuate his long arms.

I remember when he was considered one dimensional (pass rusher) but he blew up screens and had so many chase down tackles. He was so fast. He was ahead of his time, in terms of how the position has evolved.

He's on my long list of favorite Vikings. I don't have a short list because there are too many.
Post #: 6285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 9:39:19 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Dominant

Barr doesn't have the toughness Doleman had.

Barr would have to put on some weight to play DE.

Doleman carried that weight real well. He was kind of a freak before anybody was called a freak. He never looked or played slow, but he was big.

Unfair, IMO, to compare him to Barr.

I'm neutral on Barr, however, I do agree with the many posters in here that see him at his best moving forward instead of laterally.

It certainly does seem to my untrained eye that Barr would be best suited and utilized in a 3-4 scheme.
Post #: 6286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2020 8:14:45 AM   
Bill Jandro

I remember Doleman being a fairly heavy/big LB in his rookie year.

Kudos to the coaching staff back then (Burnsie maybe?)moving him to DE. I think he had over 100 career sacks.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2020 10:37:50 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Dominant

Lean and quick. Long arms, strong hands. I actually think he wore the sleeves to accentuate his long arms.

I remember when he was considered one dimensional (pass rusher) but he blew up screens and had so many chase down tackles. He was so fast. He was ahead of his time, in terms of how the position has evolved.

He's on my long list of favorite Vikings. I don't have a short list because there are too many.

Truly one of the guys who, despite starting his career 35 years ago, would still be an absolute star in today's game.
Post #: 6288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2020 1:23:44 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Dominant

Truly one of the guys who, despite starting his career 35 years ago, would still be an absolute star in today's game.

I really enjoyed watching him and Derrick Thomas get after the QB back in those days.
Post #: 6289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2020 3:49:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Kudos to the coaching staff back then (Burnsie maybe?)moving him to DE. I think he had over 100 career sacks.

Who? Burnsie?
Post #: 6290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2020 9:45:17 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

150.5 career sacks. Good enough for 5th all time.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2020 10:40:21 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

150.5 career sacks. Good enough for 5th all time.

Wow I wouldn't have expected him to be that high on the all time list.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2020 12:51:52 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Kudos? If our regime 'played someone out of position' you'd endlessly rip them.
Post #: 6293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2020 7:32:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I believe most of you will appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-E2qsBii54#action=share

Post #: 6294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2020 7:43:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Everyone practiced for both teams. I don't know if either team experienced significant injuries during the course of the season, but they are as healthy for this game as can be.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/31/final-injury-report-for-kansas-city-chiefs-vs-san-francisco-49ers-super-bowl-54/

Will you all be watching the big game? I have not watched for three years. I mean, I hated the Patriots and I decided that it wasn't fun to watch the team with the embarrassment of riches when my team has never won a Super Bowl. Yeah, I have been jealous and it was my way of fighting back against the reality.

This year does not involve the Patriots and I don't have a strong emotional rooting interest. Usually I root for the NFC team, but I feel more affection for the Kansas City area than the San Francisco area so I have mixed feelings.

So will I watch the game? I'm actually not sure yet. That's what I have become. I mean, I get up around 4 in the morning and I usually go to sleep early. The game will probably last about 4 hours. That's a very long time. Still, maybe I will watch. It is a very compelling matchup.

Post #: 6295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2020 10:27:32 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Everyone practiced for both teams. I don't know if either team experienced significant injuries during the course of the season, but they are as healthy for this game as can be.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/31/final-injury-report-for-kansas-city-chiefs-vs-san-francisco-49ers-super-bowl-54/

Will you all be watching the big game? I have not watched for three years. I mean, I hated the Patriots and I decided that it wasn't fun to watch the team with the embarrassment of riches when my team has never won a Super Bowl. Yeah, I have been jealous and it was my way of fighting back against the reality.

This year does not involve the Patriots and I don't have a strong emotional rooting interest. Usually I root for the NFC team, but I feel more affection for the Kansas City area than the San Francisco area so I have mixed feelings.

So will I watch the game? I'm actually not sure yet. That's what I have become. I mean, I get up around 4 in the morning and I usually go to sleep early. The game will probably last about 4 hours. That's a very long time. Still, maybe I will watch. It is a very compelling matchup.

Here in Omaha it's full of Chiefs fans. I'll stick with the NFC though. I hope you decide to watch the game as it is an intriguing match up.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 6296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2020 2:10:24 PM   
ratoppenheimer

i was wondering how each diggs and hunter were making $2.1m in their final year...if he wants to stay in the nfl he's going to have to become bigger, stronger and better - but i don't see us cutting elflein this season...maybe....

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
#Vikings guard Pat Elflein's 2020 base salary increased from $960K to $2.147 million through the NFL's proven performance escalator, a raise based on playing time in years 1-3 for rd 3-7 draftees entering last year of rookie deal.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2020 3:54:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It looks like they are selecting Hall of Famers today, including a former Viking.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Journal/status/1223582079847469057?s=20

Post #: 6298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 6:45:31 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Interesting subject for us. It begins like this:

It may have felt like we were seeing Kirk Cousins get pressured and sacked fewer times in 2019 than the previous season but that wasn’t really the case — the Vikings simply passed the ball less. But on a per-play basis, Cousins was sacked on 6.2% of dropbacks in ’18 and 5.9% in ’19 and pressured 38.9% in ’18 and 36.4% in ’19.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2020/02/how-the-vikings-can-reach-the-super-bowl-next-year/

Post #: 6299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 6:56:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

All 50 AP voters picked Lamar Jackson as MVP.

All 9 Sports Illustrated voters picked Jackson.

The Pro Football Writers Association picked Jackson.

Sporting News picked Jackson.

PFF picked... Russell Wilson as MVP.

(Football Perspective on Twitter)

Post #: 6300
Page:   <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode