Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 8:03:49 PM   
CPAMAN

What I learned is that the Vikings play football two steps behind both KC and San Fran. The Vikings are an incredibly slow team.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 6326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:49:52 PM   
David F.

Ryan Boser follows
bk
@skolszn
·
3h
Alex Smith as a Chief
50-26 W/L
102/33 TD/INT
94.8 QBR
4 playoff appearances
1 playoff win

The Chiefs decided that good is the enemy of great, moved up to draft Mahomes, and now they have a parade to plan.

Well done, #ChiefsKingdom

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 11:10:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I was really surprised the 9ers were not able to run the ball like they had been the last 2 games. Chief defense was not good at stopping the run all year but they somehow were able to and Garappolo choked.

Jones from KC was a beast. he was swatting passes down like flies. I hear he is a FA. Paying him might give us more bang for our buck than paying Harris.

Did you watch the AFC championship game?
Post #: 6328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 7:05:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

I was really surprised the 9ers were not able to run the ball like they had been the last 2 games. Chief defense was not good at stopping the run all year but they somehow were able to and Garappolo choked.

Jones from KC was a beast. he was swatting passes down like flies. I hear he is a FA. Paying him might give us more bang for our buck than paying Harris.

Yes. But as I stated "all year". They were 26th y/g stopping the run during the regular season. That's not good.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 9:38:15 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

What I learned is that the Vikings play football two steps behind both KC and San Fran. The Vikings are an incredibly slow team.

Slow to react. Slow to adapt.

But not slow afoot.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 10:03:18 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

The Niners pulled another three minutes and four seconds off the game with a very patient five-play drive, as they hang onto a 20-10 lead in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was working the play clock throughout the drive, making sure to grind as much of it as he could before snapping.

They punted back to the Chiefs with 8:53 left, which is plenty of time if they play the way they have in the playoffs. But the 49ers defense is doing things to them no one else has been able to.

The end of that game and Niners coaching was just so Vikings like in plan and execution right down to the abandoning of D schemes that had been working all game and going into prevent up by ten...

Garoppolo will be the whipping boy in Niners Nation on loss, but tell me fellow Vikings fans, If you plugged in Kirk Cousins would there have been any difference in outcome?

No. The 49ers scripted the Mike Zimmer "bend but don't break mentality" defense in the 4th quarter and it cost them a Super Bowl victory. IMO, San Fran has a better overall team but KC has a far better QB in Mahomes.

I don't agree; the 49ers blitzed Mahomes at times and pressured the hell out of him with their base defense most of the game.....he was sacked 4 times and escaped at leaste 4-5 more. His movement in the pocket was the difference as he bought extra time.

Totally agree. His ability to extend plays is where the game is at in 2020. Kirk Cousins does not have that ability.

Hey Brad we were worried something happened to your house during the California Fires.....everything okay?

We good. Just had a busy fall.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 10:36:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Niners pulled another three minutes and four seconds off the game with a very patient five-play drive, as they hang onto a 20-10 lead in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was working the play clock throughout the drive, making sure to grind as much of it as he could before snapping.

They punted back to the Chiefs with 8:53 left, which is plenty of time if they play the way they have in the playoffs. But the 49ers defense is doing things to them no one else has been able to.

The end of that game and Niners coaching was just so Vikings like in plan and execution right down to the abandoning of D schemes that had been working all game and going into prevent up by ten...

Garoppolo will be the whipping boy in Niners Nation on loss, but tell me fellow Vikings fans, If you plugged in Kirk Cousins would there have been any difference in outcome?

No. The 49ers scripted the Mike Zimmer "bend but don't break mentality" defense in the 4th quarter and it cost them a Super Bowl victory. IMO, San Fran has a better overall team but KC has a far better QB in Mahomes.

I don't agree; the 49ers blitzed Mahomes at times and pressured the hell out of him with their base defense most of the game.....he was sacked 4 times and escaped at leaste 4-5 more. His movement in the pocket was the difference as he bought extra time.

Totally agree. His ability to extend plays is where the game is at in 2020. Kirk Cousins does not have that ability.

Hey Brad we were worried something happened to your house during the California Fires.....everything okay?

Good to hear....I know some salesreps that I work with were really close but survived unscathed outside of not having power......Damn Electric Company.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 12:17:43 PM   
Ragnarök

Time to roll up the sleeves and make some serious decisions...

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/4/2020 12:23:04 PM >
Post #: 6333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 12:50:55 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good to hear....I know some salesreps that I work with were really close but survived unscathed outside of not having power......Damn Electric Company.

Honestly, the most effected areas were 150-200 miles from me.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 1:30:45 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

Jones will demand top dollar and the Vikings should give it to him. They should also sign Michael Pierce from Baltimore. Dump Griffen and Joseph (and their salaries $27M). QB's hate pressure up the middle. A new front four of Odenigbo, Pierce, Jones, and Hunter would be a an upgrade over the current lineup and would cost about the same. We'd lose Harris, but it would be worth it as the front four would take a lot of pressure off the secondary.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 6335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 1:49:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. But as I stated "all year". They were 26th y/g stopping the run during the regular season. That's not good.

No reason for you to be surprised that they controlled SFs running game right after shutting down the best running team in the league. That game happened, it was a "thing".
Post #: 6336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 4:46:50 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No reason for you to be surprised that they controlled SFs running game right after shutting down the best running team in the league. That game happened, it was a "thing".

The 49ers still ran for 141 yds on 22 rushes, though 53 yds came on Deebo reverses. They did a good job on Henry and handled the Texans a team that ran all over them in the regular season. The loss of Chris Jones for parts of the year played a role in that.
Post #: 6337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/4/2020 7:40:26 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The 49ers still ran for 141 yds on 22 rushes, though 53 yds came on Deebo reverses. They did a good job on Henry and handled the Texans a team that ran all over them in the regular season. The loss of Chris Jones for parts of the year played a role in that.

Jones might be the best DT in the league next to Donald.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/5/2020 10:10:40 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know these comparisons are never fair in hindsight, but I'll do it anyway. Jones was drafted in the second round at pick #37 in 2016. Our two picks in that vicinity were Treadwell at #23 in the first and Mac Alexander at #54 in the second.
Post #: 6339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/5/2020 7:43:08 PM   
Ragnarök

So there is talk that the Niners ditch perceived weakest link QB Garoppolo...

In other News Tom Brady says he is winning the Super Bowl next year with a team that was a contender this year...

In an alternate universe...

Trade Kirk Cousins to San Francisco to reunite him with Kyle who covets him and would likely be only place Kirk would waive his no trade clause to go to...

Sign Tom Brady to an highly incentive laiden contract for basic one year all in deal... Then work like hell to dump the high priced over the hill position players and sign a couple interior OT and DT difference makers that want in on the Tom Brady farewell tour... Sort of like Brett Favre (good year) the sequel...

Dream Big?
Post #: 6340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 10:52:05 AM   
Pager

https://sports.yahoo.com/sounds-jimmy-garoppolo-secured-job-223459462.html

Shanahan didn't scout Mahomes because he expected to sign Cousins. If we don't extend him and Jimmy G doesn't improve in his second full year as a starter, Cousins to 49ers is a real possibility.

Those that say Jimmy G = Cousins don't know quarterbacking. Right now Cousins is so much more accurate.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 11:31:05 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know these comparisons are never fair in hindsight, but I'll do it anyway. Jones was drafted in the second round at pick #37 in 2016. Our two picks in that vicinity were Treadwell at #23 in the first and Mac Alexander at #54 in the second.

The two most devastating picks in my lifetime based on timing, what we needed, and how long we stuck with a bust were Laquon Treadwell and Christian Ponder.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 12:53:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Williamson was bigger, IMO, than Treadwell.
Post #: 6343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 1:01:28 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I forgot about Williamson. Yes that was possibly the most damaging pick of all. Considering my signature it's pretty embarrassing that I didn't think of him.

Post #: 6344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 1:44:36 PM   
Pager

Demetrius Underwood

Post #: 6345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 1:51:24 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Demetrius Underwood

I thought of him but the fact that he never played actually makes him less damaging than a complete bust of a pick that the team trotted out on the field season after season after season.

Post #: 6346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 2:37:36 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I forgot about Williamson. Yes that was possibly the most damaging pick of all. Considering my signature it's pretty embarrassing that I didn't think of him.

Off topic, but since you mentioned your signature, the following snippets from a speech by Kennedy are as relevant today as they were when he delivered the speech almost 57 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclaV_3_eOA
Post #: 6347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 2:49:36 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Demetrius Underwood

I thought of him but the fact that he never played actually makes him less damaging than a complete bust of a pick that the team trotted out on the field season after season after season.

Makes sense. I was thinking of that 99 team being so talented, talented enough that taking a step further did not seem unrealistic - but needing help on D.

Post #: 6348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 2:50:31 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Demetrius Underwood

Dimwitrius Underthehood
Post #: 6349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 2:53:04 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sounds-jimmy-garoppolo-secured-job-223459462.html

Shanahan didn't scout Mahomes because he expected to sign Cousins. If we don't extend him and Jimmy G doesn't improve in his second full year as a starter, Cousins to 49ers is a real possibility.

Those that say Jimmy G = Cousins don't know quarterbacking. Right now Cousins is so much more accurate.

Although Brady would be at a short-term replacement for Garoppolo, Cousins would fill the role for multiple years. He knows the offense inside and out. Also, Cousins had a chance to make a big throw with the season on the line in New Orleans, and he did.

Absent a new contract with guaranteed money that ties the 49ers’ hands beyond the coming season or an extended contract for Cousins that replaces the $29.5 million he’s due to make in this year in Minnesota, the possibility of Cousins in and Garoppolo out will linger throughout the offseason, regular season, and postseason . . . unless the 49ers get back to the Super Bowl and win it.

Exactly my thought for the above post where I mused about trading Cousins to SF IF you knew you could sign Brady for the year...

If SF really covets Cousins though we hold little leverage other than extending his contract now (which is not in style of what Kirk and agent have done) in least SF get Kirk a year earlier without the open market bidding of 2021.

If Kirk was to OK a deal to be traded to SF to reunite with Shanny for this year AND we had a deal in place to sign Brady for a one/ two year all or nothing shot (Favre II) would anyone consider this?

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/7/2020 2:55:20 PM >
Post #: 6350
Page:   <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode