Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 7:31:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I remember Doleman being a fairly heavy/big LB in his rookie year.

Kudos to the coaching staff back then (Burnsie maybe?)moving him to DE. I think he had over 100 career sacks.

Who? Burnsie?

Burnsie had over 100 cuss words per post game presser. All time leader.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 8:45:03 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

All 50 AP voters picked Lamar Jackson as MVP.

All 9 Sports Illustrated voters picked Jackson.

The Pro Football Writers Association picked Jackson.

Sporting News picked Jackson.

PFF picked... Russell Wilson as MVP.

(Football Perspective on Twitter)

Yep PFF marches to a different drum. Regardless of the MVP stuff Mahomes is still without any question in my mind the best QB in the NFL. That said I expect SF to win today.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 9:15:14 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

All 50 AP voters picked Lamar Jackson as MVP.

All 9 Sports Illustrated voters picked Jackson.

The Pro Football Writers Association picked Jackson.

Sporting News picked Jackson.

PFF picked... Russell Wilson as MVP.

(Football Perspective on Twitter)

Yep PFF marches to a different drum. Regardless of the MVP stuff Mahomes is still without any question in my mind the best QB in the NFL. That said I expect SF to win today.

I do get where PFF is coming from on this. Balt has an extremely good team Jackson has the most impressive stat line but I don't think he's as valuable to his team as Russell is to his.

Take away Russell and Sea would be a 4-5 win team.

Post #: 6303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 11:12:47 AM   
Steve Miller

I remember a very old interview with Burnsie, regarding Doleman. This interview was at least 30 or 40 years ago. It's funny the things that stick, when so much else just goes fuzzy. At any rate, Burnsie said that the team wanted to convert Doleman from linebacker to defensive end, but Doleman wasn't really having it. He liked being a linebacker. Then the team showed him how much a typical Defensive end was paid as opposed to your typical linebacker. That did the trick and the rest as they say is history

Save Us O Lord from the fury of the Norsemen
Post #: 6304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 12:08:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Miller

I remember a very old interview with Burnsie, regarding Doleman. This interview was at least 30 or 40 years ago. It's funny the things that stick, when so much else just goes fuzzy. At any rate, Burnsie said that the team wanted to convert Doleman from linebacker to defensive end, but Doleman wasn't really having it. He liked being a linebacker. Then the team showed him how much a typical Defensive end was paid as opposed to your typical linebacker. That did the trick and the rest as they say is history

Yep I remember that one myself.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 12:26:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Interesting subject for us. It begins like this:

It may have felt like we were seeing Kirk Cousins get pressured and sacked fewer times in 2019 than the previous season but that wasn’t really the case — the Vikings simply passed the ball less. But on a per-play basis, Cousins was sacked on 6.2% of dropbacks in ’18 and 5.9% in ’19 and pressured 38.9% in ’18 and 36.4% in ’19.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2020/02/how-the-vikings-can-reach-the-super-bowl-next-year/

Those #s look lower for 2019 to me.
Post #: 6306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 4:22:29 PM   
Ragnarök

Another Super Bowl WITHOUT the Vikings representing....

Maybe next year or possibly next decade?

Honestly tired of waiting and wasting careers of some of the most talented players of all time in NFL that happened to wear purple...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/2/2020 5:22:09 PM >
Post #: 6307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 10:19:27 PM   
Ragnarök

The Niners pulled another three minutes and four seconds off the game with a very patient five-play drive, as they hang onto a 20-10 lead in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was working the play clock throughout the drive, making sure to grind as much of it as he could before snapping.

They punted back to the Chiefs with 8:53 left, which is plenty of time if they play the way they have in the playoffs. But the 49ers defense is doing things to them no one else has been able to.

The end of that game and Niners coaching was just so Vikings like in plan and execution right down to the abandoning of D schemes that had been working all game and going into prevent up by ten...

Garoppolo will be the whipping boy in Niners Nation on loss, but tell me fellow Vikings fans, If you plugged in Kirk Cousins would there have been any difference in outcome?
Post #: 6308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/2/2020 11:26:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Congratulations to the Chiefs and to their fans.

The off-season has officially begun.

I watched most of the first quarter and decided to stop watching. I just watched the highlights. People should be happy that it was a competitive game.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 8:41:10 AM   
SteveR

It was a decent Super Bowl. I actually watched the whole thing this year. The KC comeback was somewhat expected. That was the norm for them in the playoffs. I thought the 49ers could hold them off with their run game toward the end, but then they passed twice in a row, had to punt and that was the end of their lead. Still, they had a good chance to tie it up if it wasn't for the INT.

Good for Reid going for it on fourth down early in the game and getting the TD rather than the FG. As I watched, I thought, Vikings would not never do that.

If Mahomes stays healthy and doesn't take all of KC's money, he can do a lot of damage. The AFC seems to have gotten more interesting though with the Titans and Ravens, etc. I'm curious to see how the Patriots are going to end up, too. On our side, Vikes got a lot of work to do. KC winning is probably as close as we are going to get to the Super Bowl for a while. We at least got to see them end a 50 year drought.
Post #: 6310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 8:58:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

I was really surprised the 9ers were not able to run the ball like they had been the last 2 games. Chief defense was not good at stopping the run all year but they somehow were able to and Garappolo choked.

Jones from KC was a beast. he was swatting passes down like flies. I hear he is a FA. Paying him might give us more bang for our buck than paying Harris.

Post #: 6311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:05:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

I was really surprised the 9ers were not able to run the ball like they had been the last 2 games. Chief defense was not good at stopping the run all year but they somehow were able to and Garappolo choked.

Jones from KC was a beast. he was swatting passes down like flies. I hear he is a FA. Paying him might give us more bang for our buck than paying Harris.

Coming from Super Bowl champions might mean he will come at a premium price.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:11:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Coming from Super Bowl champions might mean he will come at a premium price.

KC would be foolish not to re-sign or franchise him.

Yes it would be north of 15ml per

Post #: 6313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:22:08 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

The Niners pulled another three minutes and four seconds off the game with a very patient five-play drive, as they hang onto a 20-10 lead in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was working the play clock throughout the drive, making sure to grind as much of it as he could before snapping.

They punted back to the Chiefs with 8:53 left, which is plenty of time if they play the way they have in the playoffs. But the 49ers defense is doing things to them no one else has been able to.

The end of that game and Niners coaching was just so Vikings like in plan and execution right down to the abandoning of D schemes that had been working all game and going into prevent up by ten...

Garoppolo will be the whipping boy in Niners Nation on loss, but tell me fellow Vikings fans, If you plugged in Kirk Cousins would there have been any difference in outcome?

No. The 49ers scripted the Mike Zimmer "bend but don't break mentality" defense in the 4th quarter and it cost them a Super Bowl victory. IMO, San Fran has a better overall team but KC has a far better QB in Mahomes.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 6314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:31:11 AM   
ronhextall

Mahomes delivered on a few big plays. Most games come down to a few plays.

If I had to guess I would guess about 3 rings for Mahomes. He is that good.

49ers are like Rams last year and what Vikings are trying. Build an all around good team for a run. Problem is once you enter the window you get old and expensive in a hurry. 49ers won’t be able to keep that DLine together long. Their TE will want to be paid the most of any TE in football.
Post #: 6315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:48:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

No. The 49ers scripted the Mike Zimmer "bend but don't break mentality" defense in the 4th quarter and it cost them a Super Bowl victory. IMO, San Fran has a better overall team but KC has a far better QB in Mahomes.

I don't agree; the 49ers blitzed Mahomes at times and pressured the hell out of him with their base defense most of the game.....he was sacked 4 times and escaped at leaste 4-5 more. His movement in the pocket was the difference as he bought extra time.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 9:56:41 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I don't agree; the 49ers blitzed Mahomes at times and pressured the hell out of him with their base defense most of the game.....he was sacked 4 times and escaped at leaste 4-5 more. His movement in the pocket was the difference as he bought extra time.

What don't you agree with Phil? I said that Mahomes was the difference.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 6317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 10:29:54 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Totally agree. His ability to extend plays is where the game is at in 2020. Kirk Cousins does not have that ability.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 11:40:48 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Totally agree. His ability to extend plays is where the game is at in 2020. Kirk Cousins does not have that ability.

Unfortunately This regime hates mobile QBs, Zimmers head explodes when guys go off script and I would bet that all the ad lib athletic style of mobile QBs doesnt translate well to regimented team practices... Just ask Sloter...

* BTW Brad, you may need to change that tag line... its obvious with rules changes that DBs are a liability when left on an island... the most important aspect is a hard push up front with big athletic DL game changers to limit the time a QB has to get ball downfield...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/3/2020 11:44:51 AM >
Post #: 6319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 3:07:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Cousins had 26/6 TD's/Interceptions this season. Not bad on the face of it.

Post #: 6320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 3:37:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What don't you agree with Phil? I said that Mahomes was the difference.

SF Defense was after Mahomes....he was just too good. SF made plays; Mahomes just made more. This wasn't a Zimmer Defense.....SF defense played awesome for 3 quarters; Mahomes was incredible the last quarter. There was nothing more they could do (Mahomes/Hill/Watkins/Kelce actually wore them down)....Sherman played well most of the game and was burnt twice at the end....KC WRs are that fast also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/3/2020 3:45:01 PM >

Post #: 6321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 3:42:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey Brad we were worried something happened to your house during the California Fires.....everything okay?

Post #: 6322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 6:35:29 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveR

It was a decent Super Bowl. I actually watched the whole thing this year. The KC comeback was somewhat expected. That was the norm for them in the playoffs. I thought the 49ers could hold them off with their run game toward the end, but then they passed twice in a row, had to punt and that was the end of their lead. Still, they had a good chance to tie it up if it wasn't for the INT.

Good for Reid going for it on fourth down early in the game and getting the TD rather than the FG. As I watched, I thought, Vikings would not never do that.

If Mahomes stays healthy and doesn't take all of KC's money, he can do a lot of damage. The AFC seems to have gotten more interesting though with the Titans and Ravens, etc. I'm curious to see how the Patriots are going to end up, too. On our side, Vikes got a lot of work to do. KC winning is probably as close as we are going to get to the Super Bowl for a while. We at least got to see them end a 50 year drought.

I don't know the stats but Zimmer goes for it enough as a coach. I do think he would go for it in that same situation.
Post #: 6323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 6:42:58 PM   
Rob Viking

Fun SB, really happy for Reid. The strain and pressure of trying to win a SB after so much success can be too much to bear and you could see the relief after they won, great scene. The Chiefs have one of the funnest offenses this league has ever scene, much like Greatest Show on Turf.

Shanahan has to feel sick today, 2nd time he was at the coaching center of a SB collapse. People are grilling the play calling at the end of the first half, but they hit the big play to Kittle but it was called back. With the way that half went he was going to take 10-10 all day. Jimmy getting grilled too but he played well I thought. He was completing passes at 85% clip at one point. There were a couple of batted balls on crucial plays and his line didn't hold up on some other crucial plays.

What was Rick James doing on KO returns. The last one he takes out 5 yards deep, promptly gets to the 15. That drive stalled at midfield if not they're at the KC 40 and you'd think it would have opened up the playbook a little bit.
Post #: 6324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/3/2020 6:45:20 PM   
Rob Viking

Also that SF DLine vs the Chiefs OLine and not one holding was called, that's tough to fathom and it's not like Mahomes threw 20 passes.

I'd be devastated as a 49ers fan today.
Post #: 6325
Page:   <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode