Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 3:02:35 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://sports.yahoo.com/sounds-jimmy-garoppolo-secured-job-223459462.html

Shanahan didn't scout Mahomes because he expected to sign Cousins. If we don't extend him and Jimmy G doesn't improve in his second full year as a starter, Cousins to 49ers is a real possibility.

Those that say Jimmy G = Cousins don't know quarterbacking. Right now Cousins is so much more accurate.

Although Brady would be at a short-term replacement for Garoppolo, Cousins would fill the role for multiple years. He knows the offense inside and out. Also, Cousins had a chance to make a big throw with the season on the line in New Orleans, and he did.

Absent a new contract with guaranteed money that ties the 49ers’ hands beyond the coming season or an extended contract for Cousins that replaces the $29.5 million he’s due to make in this year in Minnesota, the possibility of Cousins in and Garoppolo out will linger throughout the offseason, regular season, and postseason . . . unless the 49ers get back to the Super Bowl and win it.

Exactly my thought for the above post where I mused about trading Cousins to SF IF you knew you could sign Brady for the year...

If SF really covets Cousins though we hold little leverage other than extending his contract now (which is not in style of what Kirk and agent have done) in least SF get Kirk a year earlier without the open market bidding of 2021.

If Kirk was to OK a deal to be traded to SF to reunite with Shanny for this year AND we had a deal in place to sign Brady for a one/ two year all or nothing shot (Favre II) would anyone consider this?

Jimmy G's cap number doesn't make this realistic (I think) in 2021 it's only 2.something against the cap. Maybe another team covets him and would trade for him?

Brady and Rivers are toast. My first preference is to see what Cousins can do if we can upgrade the 27th worst pass blocking oline. Plan B - let Cousins play out his contract and grab someone in the second or third like Eason to develop.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 3:20:01 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Shanahan didn't scout Mahomes because he expected to sign Cousins. If we don't extend him and Jimmy G doesn't improve in his second full year as a starter, Cousins to 49ers is a real possibility.

Those that say Jimmy G = Cousins don't know quarterbacking. Right now Cousins is so much more accurate.

Although Brady would be at a short-term replacement for Garoppolo, Cousins would fill the role for multiple years. He knows the offense inside and out. Also, Cousins had a chance to make a big throw with the season on the line in New Orleans, and he did.

Absent a new contract with guaranteed money that ties the 49ers’ hands beyond the coming season or an extended contract for Cousins that replaces the $29.5 million he’s due to make in this year in Minnesota, the possibility of Cousins in and Garoppolo out will linger throughout the offseason, regular season, and postseason . . . unless the 49ers get back to the Super Bowl and win it.

Exactly my thought for the above post where I mused about trading Cousins to SF IF you knew you could sign Brady for the year...

If SF really covets Cousins though we hold little leverage other than extending his contract now (which is not in style of what Kirk and agent have done) in least SF get Kirk a year earlier without the open market bidding of 2021.

If Kirk was to OK a deal to be traded to SF to reunite with Shanny for this year AND we had a deal in place to sign Brady for a one/ two year all or nothing shot (Favre II) would anyone consider this?

My guess is Brady isn't signing up to play behind our O-line.
Post #: 6352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 3:29:40 PM   
Ragnarök

No doubt a pipe dream, and OL be damned... BUT...

Why would Tom Brady want to play in Minnesota?

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/01/22/tom-brady-says-hes-always-felt-a-connection-to-minnesota-due-to-family-ties

Tom Brady shared on WEEI’s “Kirk and Callahan” Monday morning that his mother, Galynn, grew up in a small town a couple hours away from Minneapolis. Her parents continued to live in Browerville after she had moved to California, which facilitated many visits to Minnesota.

“My grandpa was a farmer,” Brady said on the local radio program. “He was a dairy farmer. He had a lot of cows, and he farmed corn. Every year we would go back in the summer and spend a week there. We’d go fishing in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. I milked the cows with my grandpa and just kind of tended the farm. It was a great experience for me — born in California — but I have always felt a connection to Minnesota.”

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/7/2020 3:36:12 PM >
Post #: 6353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 3:41:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/01/22/tom-brady-says-hes-always-felt-a-connection-to-minnesota-due-to-family-ties

Tom Brady shared on WEEI’s “Kirk and Callahan” Monday morning that his mother, Galynn, grew up in a small town a couple hours away from Minneapolis. Her parents continued to live in Browerville after she had moved to California, which facilitated many visits to Minnesota.

“My grandpa was a farmer,” Brady said on the local radio program. “He was a dairy farmer. He had a lot of cows, and he farmed corn. Every year we would go back in the summer and spend a week there. We’d go fishing in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. I milked the cows with my grandpa and just kind of tended the farm. It was a great experience for me — born in California — but I have always felt a connection to Minnesota.”

I have a connection to Minnesota.

I'm not ever living there again.

(I also "feel a connection" to Hawaii, Italy and a handful of other places...)
Post #: 6354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 5:49:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Interesting. Where in Italy? Other than an airport I have not been there for 45 years, but I do have good memories there.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 7:01:19 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Yeah this was reported in 2017 when MN hosted the SB, his mom's family is from out near Alexandria MN (I went to UM - Morris) pretty barren/prairie land. I can't imaging a few summer vacations have any impact on his FA choice.

Post #: 6356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 7:22:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah this was reported in 2017 when MN hosted the SB, his mom's family is from out near Alexandria MN (I went to UM - Morris) pretty barren/prairie land. I can't imaging a few summer vacations have any impact on his FA choice.

IDK but after so many years in Boston perhaps the barren wasteland of Alexandria looks appetizing.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/7/2020 11:58:14 PM   
JT2

I think Brady is the best QB to ever play in the NFL. I also think it would be a colossal mistake to even think about acquiring him.

Holy shit, wouldn't it be nice if we could get up to speed on identifying QB talent and develop it?

If not for Cleveland, we would have drafted Manziel instead of Bridgewater. That's not to say, Bridgewater was the answer either.

Spielman has been playing catch up his entire tenure here. Slow to see the present, let alone the direction of the game.

Obviously, now it doesn't serve him well to identify, draft and develop a QB. Too late. He's certainly more concerned about today. His job is on the line. So......maybe he will be interested in Brady.
Post #: 6358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 5:00:49 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I think Brady is the best QB to ever play in the NFL. I also think it would be a colossal mistake to even think about acquiring him.

Holy shit, wouldn't it be nice if we could get up to speed on identifying QB talent and develop it?

If not for Cleveland, we would have drafted Manziel instead of Bridgewater. That's not to say, Bridgewater was the answer either.

Spielman has been playing catch up his entire tenure here. Slow to see the present, let alone the direction of the game.

Obviously, now it doesn't serve him well to identify, draft and develop a QB. Too late. He's certainly more concerned about today. His job is on the line. So......maybe he will be interested in Brady.

imo spielman could buy himself a few more years by drafting a 'serious' qb in the draft...if the owners/fans/journalists become convinced that said quarterback could be the answer - he stays....

in fact, i think it's the smartest option for spielman...draft a qb in the 1st/2nd round - start cousins in 2020 while developing the rookie qb - if cousins does well and takes the team further than he did last season then we extend cousins and spielman stays - if cousins doesn't do well we let his contract expire and the new kid takes over in 2021, and depending on the pulse of the owners/fans/journalists, he may have bought himself an extension as general manager....

this offseason spielman should be reloading the team - cut the dead wood and focus on ol/dt/cb - free agency and the draft....

i think it's very possible that the vikings pick up byron jones in free agency - zimmer really liked him as a rookie prospect and might favor him over waynes in free agency....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 6:53:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I had to look up Byron Jones because I had forgotten about him and I found this:

The 2020 draft class is pretty deep at cornerback, so it makes less sense to pay a premium for an older one this year. On the field, Jones doesn’t force as many turnovers as you’d like to see from a DB who’s going to command top dollar.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/07/panthers-free-agent-target-byron-jones/

He does seem to me to be a Zimmer kind of corner when you are talking about a Pro Bowl level corner who doesn't intercept many passes. The fact that it is a deep class of corners is good to read. Perhaps we can select a corner in the second or third round who is worthy of starting.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 11:29:43 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

I was really surprised the 9ers were not able to run the ball like they had been the last 2 games. Chief defense was not good at stopping the run all year but they somehow were able to and Garappolo choked.

Jones from KC was a beast. he was swatting passes down like flies. I hear he is a FA. Paying him might give us more bang for our buck than paying Harris.

Did you watch the AFC championship game?

Yes. But as I stated "all year". They were 26th y/g stopping the run during the regular season. That's not good.

No reason for you to be surprised that they controlled SFs running game right after shutting down the best running team in the league. That game happened, it was a "thing".

The 49ers still ran for 141 yds on 22 rushes, though 53 yds came on Deebo reverses. They did a good job on Henry and handled the Texans a team that ran all over them in the regular season. The loss of Chris Jones for parts of the year played a role in that.

Jones might be the best DT in the league next to Donald.

I know these comparisons are never fair in hindsight, but I'll do it anyway. Jones was drafted in the second round at pick #37 in 2016. Our two picks in that vicinity were Treadwell at #23 in the first and Mac Alexander at #54 in the second.

The two most devastating picks in my lifetime based on timing, what we needed, and how long we stuck with a bust were Laquon Treadwell and Christian Ponder.

We had a nice, dare I say championship, run of drafting mediocre DL very high starting in the late 90s (four firsts and four seconds):

95 - Alexander
96 - Clemons, Manley
99 - Underwood
2000 - Hovan, Robbins, Boireau (eye disease)
2001 - Willie Howard

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2020 12:01:02 PM >
Post #: 6361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 5:38:35 PM   
Pager

Alexander was devastating, but additionally so - we could have had Warren Sapp but were scared off because of his character issues.

Post #: 6362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 6:16:03 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jimmy G's cap number doesn't make this realistic (I think) in 2021 it's only 2.something against the cap. Maybe another team covets him and would trade for him?

Brady and Rivers are toast. My first preference is to see what Cousins can do if we can upgrade the 27th worst pass blocking oline. Plan B - let Cousins play out his contract and grab someone in the second or third like Eason to develop.

If he plays out his contract and signs elsewhere in 2022 do we get a nice compensatory draft pick? Those kind of draft picks never made any sense to me.

Post #: 6363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/8/2020 6:25:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Alexander was devastating, but additionally so - we could have had Warren Sapp but were scared off because of his character issues.

There have been a few notable times when I screamed in travail at draft picks. One of them was Alexander. I wanted Sapp badly. It may have led to the team taking Moss I believe the next year when they saw the mistake they made.

I also was so angry with the Underwood pick. I mean, it was a first round draft pick!

Lastly, I screamed when we picked Ponder. I couldn't believe we did that. He wasn't on my radar for our first pick.

Of course there were times when I was very happy and it was a terrible selection. More than a few times. Treadwell comes to mind.

Post #: 6364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/9/2020 12:36:15 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I had to look up Byron Jones because I had forgotten about him and I found this:

The 2020 draft class is pretty deep at cornerback, so it makes less sense to pay a premium for an older one this year. On the field, Jones doesn’t force as many turnovers as you’d like to see from a DB who’s going to command top dollar.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/07/panthers-free-agent-target-byron-jones/

He does seem to me to be a Zimmer kind of corner when you are talking about a Pro Bowl level corner who doesn't intercept many passes. The fact that it is a deep class of corners is good to read. Perhaps we can select a corner in the second or third round who is worthy of starting.

i think that zimmer is going to want to know that he's got cb's on his team that he's comfortable starting in september - before the draft...and then pick up a couple in the draft....

unless we want to draft a qb, i'd go:

dt
ot - right tackle
cb
cb
and then pba the rest of the way

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 2/9/2020 12:54:23 PM >

Post #: 6365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/9/2020 2:21:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

You target players that would be a good fit for the team in free agency and in the draft. They are both a crapshoot. You don't always get want you want. In the case of the draft, another player drops who you didn't expect and you go for the value, or the player you targeted is sniped by another team. In the case of free agency, the player has to want to come here and he has to fit the budget and not break the bank. In either case it's better, I'm sure, to be flexible and disciplined. In the end, no team can fill a roster of all Pro Bowl players. Sometimes the answer may be player development of a younger player already on the roster. If the team is patient there may be other opportunities later on such as players cut for salary cap reasons.

Post #: 6366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 8:06:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

You target players that would be a good fit for the team in free agency and in the draft. They are both a crapshoot. You don't always get want you want. In the case of the draft, another player drops who you didn't expect and you go for the value, or the player you targeted is sniped by another team. In the case of free agency, the player has to want to come here and he has to fit the budget and not break the bank. In either case it's better, I'm sure, to be flexible and disciplined. In the end, no team can fill a roster of all Pro Bowl players. Sometimes the answer may be player development of a younger player already on the roster. If the team is patient there may be other opportunities later on such as players cut for salary cap reasons.

i'm fairly certain that we'll sign what zimmer feels is a competent cb in free agency - probably waynes, but could be jones...and then we'll also select one by the 2nd day of the draft....

Post #: 6367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 8:53:18 AM   
Brad H

We still need two inside guys on the offensive line. Elflein has worn out his welcome. If you are going to continue with a statue at quarterback, you best have guys that can block for him.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 9:34:17 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

We still need two inside guys on the offensive line. Elflein has worn out his welcome. If you are going to continue with a statue at quarterback, you best have guys that can block for him.

Ahhh starting a new decade agreeing with you Bradley. A fresh start...

Elf is lauded for his ability to get to the second and third levels, yet appears unable to actually block at any level to me. Gotta go.

I’m betting they move O’Neill over to LT. Reiff is toast
  Post #: 6369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 9:57:52 AM   
Ragnarök

Any interest on RFA Taysom Hill of the Saints for our low first round pick, dynamic player with moves, can he transition into a full time QB role or just a gimmick player ?

Honestly the Vikings are not creative or forward thinking enough to even consider adding Hill in any capacity... We had our Hill type player in Sloter and could have plugged him into looks and plays in much same way as a dynamic part time playmaker but this regime has no visions for that type of skill sets or crafting of schemes in gameplans to use such weapons...

Rather sit back with a statue QB who comes apart under pressure behind a porous shit show at times of OL and hope...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/10/2020 10:12:40 AM >
Post #: 6370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 9:58:56 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Elf is lauded for his ability to get to the second and third levels, yet appears unable to actually block at any level to me. Gotta go.

Some (e.g., Paul Allen) are suggesting Reiff will re-structure and move inside, as he has more bulk than Elflein. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some substance to that rumor, given the amount of time that Paul Allen spends at TCO Performance Center.
Post #: 6371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 10:01:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Any interest on RFA Taysom Hill of the Saints for our low first round pick, dynamic player with moves, can he transition into a full time QB role or just a gimmick player ?

Too old for QBOTF for one.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 10:23:36 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Some (e.g., Paul Allen) are suggesting Reiff will re-structure and move inside, as he has more bulk than Elflein. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some substance to that rumor, given the amount of time that Paul Allen spends at TCO Performance Center.

WOW that's actually one of the best ideas I've heard in quite some time.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 10:55:06 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

And that was from a report the night prior.

But we benefited from character scares, specifically nobody wanted a Lawrence Phillips II which helped Moss fall.
Post #: 6374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/10/2020 10:56:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

There have been a few notable times when I screamed in travail at draft picks. One of them was Alexander. I wanted Sapp badly. It may have led to the team taking Moss I believe the next year when they saw the mistake they made.

I also was so angry with the Underwood pick. I mean, it was a first round draft pick!

Lastly, I screamed when we picked Ponder. I couldn't believe we did that. He wasn't on my radar for our first pick.

Of course there were times when I was very happy and it was a terrible selection. More than a few times. Treadwell comes to mind.

Alexander 95
Moss 98
Post #: 6375
Page:   <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode