Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 8:58:40 AM   
Lars

My $0.02:

Not much too say that hasn't been said, but I'll give it a go anyhow.

Was happy the team kept fighting the whole time, even after all going wrong out of the gate.

Cook was awesome. Played with great strength. vision and speed.

Lack of screens - even to the TE - was disappointing.

Officiating was ****ing garbage. Taking the TD off the board was BS. One of the holds called on Cadbury Egg was crap, while their OL held all the time.

Don't know what we had to change to get #17 covered, cuz he is all they have.

Keep your mouth shut and helmet on, Diggs. You need to be waaaaay more productive than that.

Cousins.....sigh.....

Never been a big fan, and I doubt he will prove me wrong. He is in the same category as Stafford, but Stafford has a bigger arm. As someone else said, you need a guy who can carry the team when other stuff is going wrong. He NEVER seems to be that guy. That throw on FIRST AND GOAL was dogshit. Further, GB defense was gassed. Keep running!!

That stat line for Cousins for that game (and his numbers improved as the game went on) were embarrassing - especially for a guy who strutted around looking for the big payday when we signed him. Earn your ****ing paycheck Mr. $84M. Pathetic.

Just to be clear, Case, Bradford or Teddy were not the answer either. This ****er demanded his fat paycheck and is accountable for that. Like I said....earn it.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 651
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 9:09:40 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

My $0.02:

Not much too say that hasn't been said, but I'll give it a go anyhow.

Was happy the team kept fighting the whole time, even after all going wrong out of the gate.

Cook was awesome. Played with great strength. vision and speed.

Lack of screens - even to the TE - was disappointing.

Officiating was ****ing garbage. Taking the TD off the board was BS. One of the holds called on Cadbury Egg was crap, while their OL held all the time.

Don't know what we had to change to get #17 covered, cuz he is all they have.

Keep your mouth shut and helmet on, Diggs. You need to be waaaaay more productive than that.

Cousins.....sigh.....

Never been a big fan, and I doubt he will prove me wrong. He is in the same category as Stafford, but Stafford has a bigger arm. As someone else said, you need a guy who can carry the team when other stuff is going wrong. He NEVER seems to be that guy. That throw on FIRST AND GOAL was dogshit. Further, GB defense was gassed. Keep running!!

That stat line for Cousins for that game (and his numbers improved as the game went on) were embarrassing - especially for a guy who strutted around looking for the big payday when we signed him. Earn your ****ing paycheck Mr. $84M. Pathetic.

Just to be clear, Case, Bradford or Teddy were not the answer either. This ****er demanded his fat paycheck and is accountable for that. Like I said....earn it.

Sums everything up nicely Lars.
Post #: 652
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 9:25:34 AM   
mikegreitzer

I don't know, folks. Not a lot of confidence in Kevin Stefanksi moving forward--

14th season on the Viking sideline--and this?

https://vikings61.com/tough-questions-for-vikings-oc-kevin-stefanski/
Post #: 653
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 9:33:00 AM   
jbusse

Dan Bailey's Viking's career: 73% on FGs, including 40% from 40-49 yards. I'm a bit skeptical that the issue is the holder, as some seemed to be suggesting a couple weeks ago.
Post #: 654
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 9:45:10 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Game Started horribly.

Defense took way too long to adjust and put us in a 21-0 hole, But after that was incredible. Packers couldn't hardly get anything going after the first Qutr. Gave our offense a chance to win.
Special Teams - coverage teams good. Return teams adequate. Punter did a great job and Bailey killed us with two misses. Seriously? Why can't we get a kicker that can reliably kick the ****ing ball?
Offense - Where do I begin? Cook was studly. Mattison did great as well. Thielen wasnt much of a factor. Diggs seemed out of synch. Balls bouncing off his hands. Helmet thing was just boneheaded. I can actually give Bailey a pass on the xpt because of it. Couple big plays but some dumbfucking decisions in this game. What the **** are you doing throwing into double coverage in the endzone? Throw it a way and take another shot next play. Down by 5 fourth quarter 3rd and 10 is not the time to take big shots downfield. It is imperative to keep the sticks moving at that point. Playcalling was, shall we say, terrible. Cousins did us no favor with his play. None. This performance tells me all I need to know. Next offseason we need to draft the next QBOTF and make Cousins earn the ****ing paycheck. We need him to win some big games. I hate losing to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

Oh, and as usual the Refs contributed way too much to the Packers victory. Phantom holing calls on Vikings, none on Packers, OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE THREE TIMES???? and most were questinable at best. Vikkings get driving and predictably there's a holding call...

And WTF did that crew need to have a conference call every ****ing time they threw a flag? Seriously did they need to discuss how to screw the Vikings with that flag?

Well it was first and goal so your criticism is not really accurate. About as much as the pass. And it was a shit pass.
Post #: 655
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 9:50:09 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikegreitzer

I don't know, folks. Not a lot of confidence in Kevin Stefanksi moving forward--

14th season on the Viking sideline--and this?

https://vikings61.com/tough-questions-for-vikings-oc-kevin-stefanski/

I think at this point the blame has to fall on Zimmer. The game is probably being called exactly how he wants it.
Post #: 656
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:11:46 AM   
ronhextall

I don’t want Speilman picking the next QB.
Post #: 657
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:32:04 AM   
CPAMAN

Cousins will get better as the season goes along. By November, many will be praising the play of Kirk Cousins.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 658
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:40:39 AM   
drviking

Teddy time

Brees out for several weeks for surgery

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 659
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:46:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

Teddy time

Brees out for several weeks for surgery

I'm trying to figure out a way that Teddy can enjoy great success, while the Saints experience nothing but misery.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 660
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:47:12 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

Cousins will get better as the season goes along. By November, many will be praising the play of Kirk Cousins.

Do you really think so?
Just curious why makes you think that will happen.

I thought Cousins started out really strong last year but has continued to fade since midseason last year.
Post #: 661
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 10:49:53 AM   
mikegreitzer

"Praising" the play of Cousins--by November? You're kidding, right? Until then, he just plays poorly?

What's his job, man? How much is he paid?

Let's start with this--when you throw the ball away, throw it into the stands. Two, don't throw into double coverage off your back foot.

Is that too much to ask?
Post #: 662
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:05:16 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

"Praising" the play of Cousins--by November? You're kidding, right? Until then, he just plays poorly?

Let's start with this--when you throw the ball away, throw it into the stands. Two, don't throw into double coverage off your back foot.

Is that too much to ask?

I would say that's a good place to start unless its 4th down game on the line no time really left and you have to try something.
Post #: 663
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:12:24 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

The pass offense as a whole has sucked.....Just think where we would be without the Beebe play and the Diggs long TD. I think another week with Diggs completely healthy with his hammy and we start integrating the rookie WR and Irv Smith more it should be better.

Cousins did make great throws/plays on those two plays....(Diggs TD and waited for Beebe forever to clear)

Remember we didn't work any rust out last week by throwing 10 times.

Very good point, I was thinking about that myself. Arguably the nature of the Atlanta game worked against us going into yesterday. I also had a bad feeling going into that game with our #3-#5 corners out, was not particularly surprised with the early goings on. Was very impressed the way the D stiffened up after that. Hopefully we can get at least 1 of Hughes/Mac back by the Chicago game, I guess a positive is we are getting some game experience for backup DBs.
Post #: 664
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:12:37 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Do you really think so?

I thought Cousins started out really strong last year but has continued to fade since midseason last year.

There is too much natural talent in Cousins to play the way he did on Sunday vs. GB. I think he is putting too much pressure on himself to succeed with the inflated contract that Spielman gave him. The Vikings system has changed dramatically this year over last featuring the run first with a healthy Dalvin Cook and what appears to be an improved O-line. Last season, it was pretty much 1 yd running, pass and pass. Or pass, pass, pass and many formations with no RB in the backfield. This season, with fewer passes to be thrown, the emphasis is on quality rather than quantity of passes thrown and yards gained is emphasized. I believe Cousins can adapt to a system where 20-30 passes attempted is the norm rather than 40+++ as per last season.

Post #: 665
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:15:14 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Is that too much to ask?

I didn't say he would play poorly until November. Give him another chance. He sucked, nobody disputes that including Cousins himself. I am saying I think he will improve as the season goes along. We have seen the Vikings start out strong before with a poor ending. I would rather they play through the ugly, figure out there errors, and get better each week including through December.

Post #: 666
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:19:49 AM   
thebigo

Damn, I find myself agreeing with CPAMAN, suddenly the voice of rationalized patience!
Post #: 667
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:42:25 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Do you really think so?

There is too much natural talent in Cousins to play the way he did on Sunday vs. GB. I think he is putting too much pressure on himself to succeed with the inflated contract that Spielman gave him. The Vikings system has changed dramatically this year over last featuring the run first with a healthy Dalvin Cook and what appears to be an improved O-line. Last season, it was pretty much 1 yd running, pass and pass. Or pass, pass, pass and many formations with no RB in the backfield. This season, with fewer passes to be thrown, the emphasis is on quality rather than quantity of passes thrown and yards gained is emphasized. I believe Cousins can adapt to a system where 20-30 passes attempted is the norm rather than 40+++ as per last season.

The Billy Bean effect?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 668
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 11:54:03 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

Is that too much to ask?

I didn't say he would play poorly until November. Give him another chance. He sucked, nobody disputes that including Cousins himself. I am saying I think he will improve as the season goes along. We have seen the Vikings start out strong before with a poor ending. I would rather they play through the ugly, figure out there errors, and get better each week including through December.

Unfortunately, we have no choice but to "give him another chance" as Mannion is an even worse qb. The problem is, that even if Cousins gets better over the season (he can't play much worse), that still only gets us a below average qb. At this point Cousins has proven to be the guy who:

1. Since the start of the 2017 season, Cousins boasts the lowest quarterback rating in the NFL when inside the opponents’ 10-yard line. He’s completing less than 45% of his passes and is averaging 1.6 yards per attempt.

and

2. Cousins’ career record against teams with a winning record is just 5-26.

Our only hope this season is for Stefanski to emulate the 2012 Ponder/Peterson season. Sink or swim with Cook and Mattison running the ball, and try and make Cousins as irrelevant as possible during the games.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 669
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:09:12 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

Is that too much to ask?

Unfortunately, we have no choice but to "give him another chance" as Mannion is an even worse qb. The problem is, that even if Cousins gets better over the season (he can't play much worse), that still only gets us a below average qb. At this point Cousins has proven to be the guy who:

1. Since the start of the 2017 season, Cousins boasts the lowest quarterback rating in the NFL when inside the opponents’ 10-yard line. He’s completing less than 45% of his passes and is averaging 1.6 yards per attempt.

and

2. Cousins’ career record against teams with a winning record is just 5-26.

Our only hope this season is for Stefanski to emulate the 2012 Ponder/Peterson season. Sink or swim with Cook and Mattison running the ball, and try and make Cousins as irrelevant as possible during the games.

Yup, the Joe Flacco model.

Post #: 670
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:11:13 PM   
Ragnarök

Cousins needs a new handler... Someone team appointed who takes him off all this new age Whack a Doodle brain training and clean eating, meditation before game days shit...

Get him out of that house with kids and wife, make him sleep on a lumpy mattress and not that comfy sleep number bed...

Teammates need to take him to some strip clubs, bars, bond with the guys... maybe a boat rental at Tonka?

He is too soft and too pampered... has no edge and way too jumpy... Get him a real boxing trainer who slugs him around, beat some of that flinching out of him and sharpen his reaction time to avoiding a hit...
Post #: 671
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:19:50 PM   
David F.

I give you credit Ragnarok. You've been proven to be correct and even though you took piles of criticism along the way you are keeping the 'I told you so's to a minimum and keeping it classy.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 672
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:19:52 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Cousins needs a new handler... Someone team appointed who takes him off all this new age Whack a Doodle brain training and clean eating, meditation before game days shit...

Get him out of that house with kids and wife, make him sleep on a lumpy mattress and not that comfy sleep number bed...

Teammates need to take him to some strip clubs, bars, bond with the guys... maybe a boat rental at Tonka?

He is too soft and too pampered... has no edge and way too jumpy... Get him a real boxing trainer who slugs him around, beat some of that flinching out of him and sharpen his reaction time to avoiding a hit...

I thought that was who that Kevin on the Pizza Ranch commercials was.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 673
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:22:49 PM   
kevinemmer

Anyone else think Zimmer should have challenged the Hunter Strip-sack where Rogers came down on top of Danny and didn't touch the ground before Hunter took the ball away?

Hunter needs to run to the sideline and tell Zim to challenge that.
Or have our guy in the booth who reviews plays (that we must not have, d'oh! because we suck at challenges) tell him.

I hate losing to the Puke, esp that D--K Rogers.
Post #: 674
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2019 12:28:03 PM   
Ush

My .01 cents (probably not worth .02)

1. Other than the obvious bad calls by the refs, there were at least 2 times that the play clock ran out on Rodgers by a good 2 seconds that were not called. On time was on a 3rd down conversion. I hit rewind on the DVR on the 2nd one and watched it multiple times. Easily 2 seconds between the clock hitting zero and the snap.

2. Not to make this about the refs but for them to make a booth review and overturn that play TD was just ridiculous. Nobody can convince me that the play was clear and obvious.

3. Great game from our d-line after the 1st quarter. They put a ton of pressure on Rodgers without blitzing. That is what helped turn things around

4. The D is fine. Zimmer needs to stop having these games where they come out asleep though

5. I’m done with Cousins. Started at the end of last season. We are stuck with him and I’ll root for him. But I don’t expect anything other than average play. I’d take Keenum back in a second. At least he can run. Cousins is lost in the pocket.....lost.

Too mad to go on. The game was there to be won
Post #: 675
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode