Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2019 10:40:37 PM   
David F.

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1174768288045252608

I wonder if he allows the fireplace to be turned on in this modest abode.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 926
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2019 11:06:10 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

One thing is for sure, we need to show up at the beginning of games if we are going to have a successful season. We drop behind 21-zip in the first 16 minutes of the game, alful tough to instill hope when you have to score four times against any NFL team, much less GB in their place. So, this is another glaring flaw in this team and it needs to be corrected. It has been brought up over the past couple of years, so it's not new, but what to do about it is apparently a mystery. I'm thinking there needs to be better analysis done to get to the cause of these starts, there must be something common between them, but there have been too many to ignore and slough it off to a bad game.

This is another serious issue that needs to be fixed, just to get us on an even playing field at the start of important games, and lets face it, any given Sunday you can get beat by an inferior team.

It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan. How about instead you ANTICIPATE what they might be looking to do. Better yet, come up with three or four likely gameplan scenarios for what the opponent is likely to come out with and have answers for each. Last week, one of those likely scenarios could have been 'Devante Adams is their best player so maybe they'll be trying to go to him early and often - if so - DOUBLE HIM'.

Seems painfully obvious.

With all these resources invested in defense, and his expertise in that area, against a division rival, you would think Zimmer should be ready. Did Adams surprise us?

How about this; this defense should dictate what you do.

Cousins throwing 10 passes in week 1 was a mistake, mostly due to trying to prove the point how important it is to run and stop the run. Who could imagine you might need a serious passing game at times in today's NFL? That's not a defense of Cousins, that's just stupid football. Take advantage of those opportunities. Look forward just a little.

Patriots up by a million, and their offense is working on things. Not trying to prove a philosophy to be true. Not trying to run up the score. They take advantage of real-game situations to continue to hone and perfect what they do. Why wouldn't you do it that way?

Hey, we did run great Sunday. Cook was incredible. Unfortunately, we didn't really stop the run, did we?
Post #: 927
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2019 11:20:29 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

Well on Sirius NFL yesterday a caller-in asked Bob Papa and Charlie Wiess to compare the body language of Minshew to Kirk Cousins. It's pretty standard on Sirius NFL to never disparage a GM, coach, or player yet Coach Wiess went into detail on what he doesn't like about Cousins' attitude when things go wrong. He also cited Cousins' record against winning teams and his record in prime time.

I was all for the signing of Cousins. I thought he was a great QB and certainly good enough to win a Super Bowl with the defense we already have in place. It's really starting to look like I was incorrect and that we bought a lemon.

starting to look that way,

we KNEW case was fool's gold, so KFC was the correct move at the time, but it just doesnt look like it is going to work, just like Favre, it was worth a shot....Favre was way more fun

IF Teddy does well, maybe we can rent Brees for one year

I do believe that Cousins was the correct move at the time, although I was a skeptic at the time. I truly believe he has solid arm talent, but after that, he's got a couple flaws that are very hard, if not impossible, to fix. He can be taught to move his feet and shuffle, but he cant be taught to "feel" the pressure. You either have that ability or you don't. The other, and even more important in my view, is his mental strength. His body language when things are going wrong says a lot about his mental makeup.

I get it, we have him for the next two years, but we need to find his replacement and start grooming that guy to be our next QB. I am sure the Viking brass was just like a lot of us when evaluating Cousins. I think they thought with a different team, a better team and hopefully better coaching, they could work with Cousins to make him serviceable and maybe they will, but so far, 18 games in to this, it isn't visible to the naked eye. Lets just let this thing run it's course, we have no other options, he will be part of a few wins this year and maybe we can get past his gaffs and pull out a couple too!

A lot of good stuff there Dana.

I'm struggling to think of a QB we ever coached up. Hell, look at our recent choices for back-up QB.

I'm certainly disappointed with our inability to evaluate young QB's. I'm almost shocked with how we value experience over talent at that position.

Cousins has to play at a relatively high level for this team to succeed. He has that in him, I think. But, the fukcin' fumbling makes me crazy. Secure the ball Dave Krieg.
Post #: 928
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2019 11:52:23 PM   
JT2

As bad as Cousins can be, imagine what happens if he were to get injured.

Minshew is slinging it. Our old boy, Siemian, not so much. I think some people will be surprised this week with how good Jones and Rudolph look.

Draft QB's. Develop them. Don't train them to become game managers. Coach them to become future stars. You might fail more often than not, but it's worth the effort and minimal investment.

Run first, stop the run. Who even needs a QB?
Post #: 929
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 12:11:21 AM   
JT2

Defensively, we're stacked. We have top-notch personnel at every level. Yet, we were looking at Fitzpatrick and Ramsey?
Are you kidding me? Maybe we do need an All-Pro at every defensive position. Seems like a defensive mastermind should be able to do more with less.

We don't have a legit #3 WR. Our love for Rudolph keeps us in yesterday.

Criticism over. We destroy the Raiders Sunday.

I hope that when we are up by 24 in the second half, we realize that is a good time to open up the dusty playbook and work on our weakness.
Post #: 930
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 12:45:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Last week we were down three cornerbacks (one by suspension and two by injury) I don't know what level Hughes will play at when he returns. I get the sense that our defense will be better as the season progresses and with our newer parts along the offensive line so will our offense. It will be helpful if Cousins can successfully engineer a comeback win against a quality opponent. That's going to happen soon, I predict and then I believe everyone, especially Cousins can breathe a sigh of relief. I believe he has the talent to take our team far, but he sure has had to deal with a lot of pressure. (internally and externally) The offensive line simply has to do a better job at pass blocking.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/21/2019 8:56:16 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 931
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 2:02:39 AM   
JT2

Yeah, we are unique in that way. We have all the injuries. The League doesn't like us. The officials cheat against us.
Post #: 932
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 7:26:48 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Rags always quite compelling. Everything comes down to KFC.....

I'd like to visit a parallel universe sit called TalkRagnarok where Kirk Cousins drones on and on about how RagnaFuckingRoc goes about his daily life, job, relationships, etc. Probably some room to find fault.

Rags re: KFC = Dog re: squirrels

Guess Ragass still at it. Sadly, it's not about Cousins as much as it is him needing attention, even negative strokes.
Post #: 933
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 7:38:06 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Defensively, we're stacked. We have top-notch personnel at every level. Yet, we were looking at Fitzpatrick and Ramsey?
Are you kidding me? Maybe we do need an All-Pro at every defensive position. Seems like a defensive mastermind should be able to do more with less.

We don't have a legit #3 WR. Our love for Rudolph keeps us in yesterday.

Criticism over. We destroy the Raiders Sunday.

I hope that when we are up by 24 in the second half, we realize that is a good time to open up the dusty playbook and work on our weakness.

Maybe they won't be able to pay Waynes, Harris, Alexander, and/or Kearse this year as all enter free agency. IMO Rhodes is a ? Hill is probably toking away/eating banned substances. Go Hughes.

Not saying they should have pressed to sign either, but worth looking into, esp. their contracts.
Post #: 934
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 7:44:03 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
The #Patriots gave Antonio Brown a $9M signing bonus on his 1-year deal — but it wasn’t all due at signing, and there’s usually forfeiture language. As one NFL exec told me: “I don’t think he has any money yet so at least they can hold it while they fight about it.”

I'm sure he'll get a game check or 2, that's probably it.

in oakland....

Other league execs think it’s a weak forfeiture case. Regardless, AB has earned two $62,500 game checks plus a $33,333 46-man bonus, and the rest of his $1M base salary was guaranteed (another possible fight). And a potential grievance awaits vs. #Raiders over voided guarantees.

I read the language says ~ anything to disparage the team, players, coaches, etc, etc.

AB won't get that $9M.

He has a habit of tweeting about how little $ these woman at his house make. I hope turnabout is fair play if he blows his money and gets tweeted about.

Hope the league does their secret handshake and bans him.
Post #: 935
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 8:08:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

I think putting in an offer for Fitzpatrick was warranted. He has some cheap years yet on his rookie deal.

Ramsey on the other hand showed up to TC in a brinks truck. This guy is looking for a record cb deal and we're in no position to offer it.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 936
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 8:53:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/09/for-cousins-to-improve-vikings-must-fix-pass-protection-struggles/

Good breakdown of our pass pro struggles. Practically jail break stuff. Add in the fact that Stefanski kept going back to plays that didn't work is mind numbing.

We may be running the ball well but Kubiak/Stefanski have a lot to clean up.

Edit: Chi interior dline is going to crush us.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 9/21/2019 9:02:03 AM >

Post #: 937
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:24:24 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/09/for-cousins-to-improve-vikings-must-fix-pass-protection-struggles/

Good breakdown of our pass pro struggles. Practically jail break stuff. Add in the fact that Stefanski kept going back to plays that didn't work is mind numbing.

Will they ever fix the O-line? This issue goes back at least to 2015.
Post #: 938
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:29:42 AM   
Pager

quote:

This!

Stef kept calling the Diggs crossing route over and over, last game of year vs CHI, when it wasn't working. Definition of insanity.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 939
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:36:17 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

The #Patriots gave Antonio Brown a $9M signing bonus on his 1-year deal — but it wasn’t all due at signing, and there’s usually forfeiture language. As one NFL exec told me: “I don’t think he has any money yet so at least they can hold it while they fight about it.”

I'm sure he'll get a game check or 2, that's probably it.

in oakland....

Other league execs think it’s a weak forfeiture case. Regardless, AB has earned two $62,500 game checks plus a $33,333 46-man bonus, and the rest of his $1M base salary was guaranteed (another possible fight). And a potential grievance awaits vs. #Raiders over voided guarantees.

I read the language says ~ anything to disparage the team, players, coaches, etc, etc.

AB won't get that $9M.

He has a habit of tweeting about how little $ these woman at his house make. I hope turnabout is fair play if he blows his money and gets tweeted about.

Hope the league does their secret handshake and bans him.

Rosenhaus pretty quiet right now.
Post #: 940
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:52:36 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

One thing is for sure, we need to show up at the beginning of games if we are going to have a successful season. We drop behind 21-zip in the first 16 minutes of the game, alful tough to instill hope when you have to score four times against any NFL team, much less GB in their place. So, this is another glaring flaw in this team and it needs to be corrected. It has been brought up over the past couple of years, so it's not new, but what to do about it is apparently a mystery. I'm thinking there needs to be better analysis done to get to the cause of these starts, there must be something common between them, but there have been too many to ignore and slough it off to a bad game.

This is another serious issue that needs to be fixed, just to get us on an even playing field at the start of important games, and lets face it, any given Sunday you can get beat by an inferior team.

It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan. How about instead you ANTICIPATE what they might be looking to do. Better yet, come up with three or four likely gameplan scenarios for what the opponent is likely to come out with and have answers for each. Last week, one of those likely scenarios could have been 'Devante Adams is their best player so maybe they'll be trying to go to him early and often - if so - DOUBLE HIM'.

Yes, the Atlanta game was a classic example of that.
Post #: 941
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:53:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

You would think that if Zim is so good at developing corners we wouldn't have to bring one in from another team at a high price.

With regard to Rhodes, I believe that the days are over that we let him shadow the opposition's best receiver without giving him some help.

I know that "all the teams have their injury issues", but it was quite a big deal to be down three cornerbacks (I edited my last comment above) going into Lambeau vs. Rodgers. You all realize we had a seventh rounder rookie and an undrafted rookie playing significant snaps last week. I do believe that it will get better as the season progresses and some of these key players return. Hopefully Hughes will play at a high level when he does return, but I am concerned about that.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 942
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:55:20 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Rags always quite compelling. Everything comes down to KFC.....

I'd like to visit a parallel universe sit called TalkRagnarok where Kirk Cousins drones on and on about how RagnaFuckingRoc goes about his daily life, job, relationships, etc. Probably some room to find fault.

Rags re: KFC = Dog re: squirrels

Guess Ragass still at it. Sadly, it's not about Cousins as much as it is him needing attention, even negative strokes.

You blocked me, why the personal jabs?

Get off my lawn...
Post #: 943
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:56:30 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

You would think that if Zim is so good at developing corners we wouldn't have to bring one in from another team at a high price.

With regard to Rhodes, I believe that the days are over that we let him shadow the opposition's best receiver without giving him some help.

I know that "all the teams have their injury issues", but it was quite a big deal to be down three cornerbacks (I edited my last comment above) going into Lambeau vs. Rodgers. You all realize we had a seventh rounder rookie and an undrafted rookie playing significant snaps last week. I do believe that it will get better as the season progresses and some of these key players return. Hopefully Hughes will play at a high level when he does return, but I am concerned about that.

Didn't we do exactly that against Atlanta/Julio Jones less than 2 weeks ago?
Post #: 944
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:15:21 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Didn't we do exactly that against Atlanta/Julio Jones less than 2 weeks ago?

It looks like there are types of receivers whom he can't cover very well. Covering the tall big bodied types seems to be his strength, but covering the speedier and shifty types seem to give him a hard time.

Post #: 945
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:30:10 AM   
ratoppenheimer

we are not in this....

Eugene Frenette@GeneFrenette
Source tells me #ravens locker room was buzzing Tuesday about trade going down for Ramsey, but all quiet since then. Reports from Baltimore, not ESPN or NFL Network, said Ravens offered a 1, 2 and TE Hayden Hurst, got turned down. If that's true, doubt #Jaguars get better offer.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 946
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:47:21 AM   
Bill Jandro

The Vikings have the second lowest team graded pass blocking score and center Garrett Bradbury received a 0.0 grade in Week 1 and 16.3 in Week 2. To put that in context, Pat Elflein’s worst single game grade in 2018 was a 37.2 and the Vikings moved him to guard. Former tackle TJ Clemmings’ worst grade in 2016 was a 31.9.

Ouch

Post #: 947
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:51:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

Cousins currently has the slowest snap-to-release in the NFL at 3.15 seconds.

Cousins needs to work more deliberately. He's seen so much pressure yet he continues to be surprised by it every time he drops back.

It seems like that "oh shit" moment happens a whole second elapses before he realizes he better do something.

Post #: 948
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 12:34:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Cousins currently has the slowest snap-to-release in the NFL at 3.15 seconds.

Cousins needs to work more deliberately. He's seen so much pressure yet he continues to be surprised by it every time he drops back.

It seems like that "oh shit" moment happens a whole second elapses before he realizes he better do something.

I don’t think deliberately says it.

He needs to make quicker decisions, period.

I wonder if its all Cousins ... mostly for sure. But I also wonder if Kubiak Stefanski are so focused on establishing a run first / play action passing attack second, that they are calling plays that take a little longer to develop on average. Waiting for LBs to hesitate a nanosecond etc. The Packers weren’t buying it (with a 21 point lead).

The bottom line is, the OL is a work in progress ... it is not the finished product, it is not last year’s line. And PFF has little relevance.

We will see how the line holds up against the Bears ... one of the best DLs with our OL having 3 games under its belt. I think that IMO is the first spot where I would legitimately panic if our pass pro has shown no improvement.

Its symbiotic though - Cousins has to play a lot freakin better, the OL has to start coalescing better on passing downs, and the playcallers need to start attacking the defense in front of the offense better instead of JUST worrying about executing Kubiak’s vaunted system (or Zimmer’s mandate).
Post #: 949
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 12:43:41 PM   
Bill Jandro

Our oline appears to be doing an above average job run blocking at least.

I thought if we could run the ball better we'd have opposing defenses on their heels when passing. But that hasn't been the case thus far. We continue to be weak (if not weaker) up the middle.

Bradbury has not come as advertised thus far. Hope he can get it together soon.

Post #: 950
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode