Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 1:46:28 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Cousins currently has the slowest snap-to-release in the NFL at 3.15 seconds.

Cousins needs to work more deliberately. He's seen so much pressure yet he continues to be surprised by it every time he drops back.

It seems like that "oh shit" moment happens a whole second elapses before he realizes he better do something.

I don’t think deliberately says it.

He needs to make quicker decisions, period.

I wonder if its all Cousins ... mostly for sure. But I also wonder if Kubiak Stefanski are so focused on establishing a run first / play action passing attack second, that they are calling plays that take a little longer to develop on average. Waiting for LBs to hesitate a nanosecond etc. The Packers weren’t buying it (with a 21 point lead).

The bottom line is, the OL is a work in progress ... it is not the finished product, it is not last year’s line. And PFF has little relevance.

We will see how the line holds up against the Bears ... one of the best DLs with our OL having 3 games under its belt. I think that IMO is the first spot where I would legitimately panic if our pass pro has shown no improvement.

Its symbiotic though - Cousins has to play a lot freakin better, the OL has to start coalescing better on passing downs, and the playcallers need to start attacking the defense in front of the offense better instead of JUST worrying about executing Kubiak’s vaunted system (or Zimmer’s mandate).

do they factor in cousin's release time when grading our o-line?...there is a lot of tape documenting cousin's inability to find receivers that are open - or, he just doesn't have the confidence to make the tougher passes, so he opts for the easier throw - which is normally a weak, bail out option....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 2:30:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Our oline appears to be doing an above average job run blocking at least.

I thought if we could run the ball better we'd have opposing defenses on their heels when passing. But that hasn't been the case thus far. We continue to be weak (if not weaker) up the middle.

Bradbury has not come as advertised thus far. Hope he can get it together soon.

We only have one game to assess our QB, OL, Skill Players, Playcalling, etc. in the passing game (the first game was offensive dominance without the need for passing).

That one game was very poor and its in the books - it counts - but really, it seemed like a comedy of errors on our part ... not sure it is indicative of anything. We'll see, one or two games is not enough to put a label on things.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/21/2019 2:31:35 PM >
Post #: 952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 3:44:22 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

One thing is for sure, we need to show up at the beginning of games if we are going to have a successful season. We drop behind 21-zip in the first 16 minutes of the game, alful tough to instill hope when you have to score four times against any NFL team, much less GB in their place. So, this is another glaring flaw in this team and it needs to be corrected. It has been brought up over the past couple of years, so it's not new, but what to do about it is apparently a mystery. I'm thinking there needs to be better analysis done to get to the cause of these starts, there must be something common between them, but there have been too many to ignore and slough it off to a bad game.

This is another serious issue that needs to be fixed, just to get us on an even playing field at the start of important games, and lets face it, any given Sunday you can get beat by an inferior team.

It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan. How about instead you ANTICIPATE what they might be looking to do. Better yet, come up with three or four likely gameplan scenarios for what the opponent is likely to come out with and have answers for each. Last week, one of those likely scenarios could have been 'Devante Adams is their best player so maybe they'll be trying to go to him early and often - if so - DOUBLE HIM'.

Yes, the Atlanta game was a classic example of that.

On 9/9/19 David F. wrote:

Really enjoyed the game. It's nice to just win convincingly from start to finish. I love the excitement of a nail-biter too, don't get me wrong. Defense started the game aggressively and it paid off - and Zimmer made note of that in his post-game presser. NICE! I absolutely LOVED that we only threw the ball ten times. Screw balance. If it's working keep doing it. I don't mind one bit that Atlanta scored a couple of meaningless TDs. For what it's worth, they have a great passing game. I admired how crisp Julio and Ridley ran their routes. As I predicted early in the gameday thread, TE is still the biggest threat to the Zimmer defense and sure enough Hooper caught nine balls for 77 yards. But guess what? The opposing team is full of talented all-world players too! In the end our team was just too much for them. Skol.

When I mentioned that Zimmer verbally noted that starting aggressively paid off I meant that I was hoping to see it continued rather than be an exception to the rule - which is what it was.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 6:27:39 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

One thing is for sure, we need to show up at the beginning of games if we are going to have a successful season. We drop behind 21-zip in the first 16 minutes of the game, alful tough to instill hope when you have to score four times against any NFL team, much less GB in their place. So, this is another glaring flaw in this team and it needs to be corrected. It has been brought up over the past couple of years, so it's not new, but what to do about it is apparently a mystery. I'm thinking there needs to be better analysis done to get to the cause of these starts, there must be something common between them, but there have been too many to ignore and slough it off to a bad game.

This is another serious issue that needs to be fixed, just to get us on an even playing field at the start of important games, and lets face it, any given Sunday you can get beat by an inferior team.

It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan. How about instead you ANTICIPATE what they might be looking to do. Better yet, come up with three or four likely gameplan scenarios for what the opponent is likely to come out with and have answers for each. Last week, one of those likely scenarios could have been 'Devante Adams is their best player so maybe they'll be trying to go to him early and often - if so - DOUBLE HIM'.

Really enjoyed the game. It's nice to just win convincingly from start to finish. I love the excitement of a nail-biter too, don't get me wrong. Defense started the game aggressively and it paid off - and Zimmer made note of that in his post-game presser. NICE! I absolutely LOVED that we only threw the ball ten times. Screw balance. If it's working keep doing it. I don't mind one bit that Atlanta scored a couple of meaningless TDs. For what it's worth, they have a great passing game. I admired how crisp Julio and Ridley ran their routes. As I predicted early in the gameday thread, TE is still the biggest threat to the Zimmer defense and sure enough Hooper caught nine balls for 77 yards. But guess what? The opposing team is full of talented all-world players too! In the end our team was just too much for them. Skol.

When I mentioned that Zimmer verbally noted that starting aggressively paid off I meant that I was hoping to see it continued rather than be an exception to the rule - which is what it was.

Yearly a top 10 defense. But to you if it happens once, it's "an exception to the rule"
Post #: 954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 6:29:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

I thought if we could run the ball better we'd have opposing defenses on their heels when passing. But that hasn't been the case thus far. We continue to be weak (if not weaker) up the middle.

We only have one game to assess our QB, OL, Skill Players, Playcalling, etc. in the passing game (the first game was offensive dominance without the need for passing).

That one game was very poor and its in the books - it counts - but really, it seemed like a comedy of errors on our part ... not sure it is indicative of anything. We'll see, one or two games is not enough to put a label on things.

Clearly, you just are not smarmy enough. I mean not smart enough.
Post #: 955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 8:15:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Clearly, you just are not smarmy enough. I mean not smart enough.

Since 'not smarmy enough' is the greater insult, I happily embrace my 'not smart enough'.
Post #: 956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 8:46:19 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yearly a top 10 defense. But to you if it happens once, it's "an exception to the rule"

Rarely beats a winning team. But see you at the 'top 10 defense' celebration parade in February!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 8:56:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rarely beats a winning team. But see you at the 'top 10 defense' celebration parade in February!

That's right, top ten defenses mostly get in the way of beating winning teams. Stupid top ten defenses!
Post #: 958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 9:07:54 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's right, top ten defenses mostly get in the way of beating winning teams. Stupid top ten defenses!

If we devoted the amount of resources to the offense that we do to the defense we'd have a top-10 offense. That wouldn't necessarily mean we'd win more games or be a legitimate threat to win a Super Bowl. We were an 8-7-1 dumpster fire last season.

THE GOAL OF FOOTBALL IS TO WIN THE DAMN GAMES.

Post #: 959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 9:08:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see you've danced from "It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan." to "Rarely beats a winning team.".

Must be some tough schedules we've had considering he's won 60% of the games he's head coached.

What's the next dance?
Post #: 960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 9:11:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If we devoted the amount of resources to the offense that we do to the defense we'd have a top-10 offense. That wouldn't necessarily mean we'd win more games or be a legitimate threat to win a Super Bowl. We were an 8-7-1 dumpster fire last season.

If only those other stoopid teams would quit trying to win the games, we'd probably win more than 60%! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Post #: 961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 9:15:20 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, you cracked that inscrutable code wide open.

(I'm referring to the bold all caps epiphany, if you were wondering)
Post #: 962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 9:29:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see you've danced from "It feels like Zimmer comes into the game with a 'let's see what they do' gameplan." to "Rarely beats a winning team.".

Must be some tough schedules we've had considering he's won 60% of the games he's head coached.

What's the next dance?

I don't see any dancing. Personally I prefer the robot. I also prefer smart effective game plans and adjustments within the game that show there was some educated research ahead of the game that directly relates to specific player matchup exploitations and tendencies of the opponent to be capitalized on. Or, we can just spend more high draft picks on the defense to keep our precious 'top-ten' status and offensively continue with the 'run the ball and stop the run' idiocy that thus far has netting the franchise absolutely NOTHING in terms of winning anything important.

Post #: 963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:12:42 PM   
Dana Turner

Plain and simple, the teams with the top tier QB's win. Seattle, Pittsburgh, New England, GB, NO now KC all have top tier QB's and are teams that are always good, better than %60 winners every year. The big problem is finding the top tier QB, there simply aren't that many to be had. The Vikings were hoping Cousins would be one of those guys, but it is painfully obvious he won't. He can be good, he can certainly throw a beautiful ball, the strike to Diggs last week was perfect, but as most of us know, arm talent isn't the end all, or Jeff George would be a HOFer.

Who will be drafting our next starting QB, I don't know, but very few teams get lucky like New Orleans and get to trade for a future HOF guy. Many of us have pointed out that there have been many teams that went to the dance with Mid-tier QB's, this is true, but very few of those teams were consistently good, six-seven years in a row type stuff and in GB, Pitt, NE we're talking ten years solid good play. All because they have a QB that the rest of the league is hoping to find. Hell, in KC they recognized what the had and got rid of the Mid-tier guy they had, Washington did it when they let Cousins walk. The NFL is full of guys like Cousins, hell, I can't even remember the guy that played for Denver and was traded to Chicago, supposed to be their savior, just Mid-tier guys, you can win with them on a good Sunday, but consistently is a different story.

I hope the Vikings can draft the next Tom Brady, Rogers, Breeze, who knows, for NW it was pure luck, but for now, this team has to rally around this Mid-tier guy that we have piloting our offense. Maybe the rest of the team will elevate itself and carry us on to a fine season, we shall see! Skol Vikings

< Message edited by Dana Turner -- 9/21/2019 10:15:49 PM >
Post #: 964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:22:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's the next dance?

I don't see any dancing. Personally I prefer the robot. I also prefer smart effective game plans and adjustments within the game that show there was some educated research ahead of the game that directly relates to specific player matchup exploitations and tendencies of the opponent to be capitalized on. Or, we can just spend more high draft picks on the defense to keep our precious 'top-ten' status and offensively continue with the 'run the ball and stop the run' idiocy that thus far has netting the franchise absolutely NOTHING in terms of winning anything important.

You mean like the Atlanta game?
Post #: 965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 10:55:27 PM   
Pager

quote:

Plain and simple, the teams with the top tier QB's win. Seattle, Pittsburgh, New England, GB, NO now KC all have top tier QB's and are teams that are always good, better than %60 winners every year. The big problem is finding the top tier QB, there simply aren't that many to be had. The Vikings were hoping Cousins would be one of those guys, but it is painfully obvious he won't. He can be good, he can certainly throw a beautiful ball, the strike to Diggs last week was perfect, but as most of us know, arm talent isn't the end all, or Jeff George would be a HOFer.

Who will be drafting our next starting QB, I don't know, but very few teams get lucky like New Orleans and get to trade for a future HOF guy. Many of us have pointed out that there have been many teams that went to the dance with Mid-tier QB's, this is true, but very few of those teams were consistently good, six-seven years in a row type stuff and in GB, Pitt, NE we're talking ten years solid good play. All because they have a QB that the rest of the league is hoping to find. Hell, in KC they recognized what the had and got rid of the Mid-tier guy they had, Washington did it when they let Cousins walk. The NFL is full of guys like Cousins, hell, I can't even remember the guy that played for Denver and was traded to Chicago, supposed to be their savior, just Mid-tier guys, you can win with them on a good Sunday, but consistently is a different story.

I hope the Vikings can draft the next Tom Brady, Rogers, Breeze, who knows, for NW it was pure luck, but for now, this team has to rally around this Mid-tier guy that we have piloting our offense. Maybe the rest of the team will elevate itself and carry us on to a fine season, we shall see! Skol Vikings

Jay Cutler.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:00:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

This is my favorite writer on the Vikings, now. (Ludford) With regard to Bradbury I have to wonder based on what he says here if the Vikings should consider putting in Jones at center.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/21/20877120/early-insights-minnesota-vikings-season

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:07:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Since cutting him, the Vikings are dead last in FG%. Sigh.

Since signing with the #Raiders last October, Daniel Carlson is tied for the best field goal percentage in the NFL at 94.7%

(Josh Dubow on Twitter)

And he plays the Vikings tomorrow.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 9/21/2019 11:08:13 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2019 11:14:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I can't wait to watch an injured Trent Brown (360 lbs) try and slow down Danielle Hunter tomorrow.

(Purple Post on Twitter)

Post #: 969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 8:31:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

BREAKING: Multiple sources are reporting #Vikings CB Mike Hughes is expected to be active and will likely return to game action today vs. Oakland.

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

Post #: 970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 9:40:17 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

BREAKING: Multiple sources are reporting #Vikings CB Mike Hughes is expected to be active and will likely return to game action today vs. Oakland.

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

Smart. Get him a few reps here and there. Start building him up.

Very exciting.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 10:13:21 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

This is my favorite writer on the Vikings, now. (Ludford) With regard to Bradbury I have to wonder based on what he says here if the Vikings should consider putting in Jones at center.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/21/20877120/early-insights-minnesota-vikings-season

That article is really good. Thanks.
Post #: 972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 11:34:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Paul Allen on KFAN said he believes there's a decent chance #Vikings CB Mackensie Alexander returns next week at Chicago.

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

Post #: 973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 3:28:24 PM   
CPAMAN

Good game start to finish for the Vikings. Cousins is not an elite NFL QB but with a healthy Dalvin Cook, good receivers, and a solid defense, the Vikings are a top ten NFL team. If Cousins excels, the Vikings are a top five NFL team.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/22/2019 3:30:15 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Paul Charchian@PaulCharchian
The Vikings have played 12 quarters of football. They have mostly dominated their opponents for 11 of them.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode