Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 10:57:00 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Rhodes has been ok, not worth what he's getting paid but at the same time it was a great play by Jones and Slayton.

His job on that play was to not get beaten by Slayton. And Slayton beat him. That road was open. He's getting paid to not let that happen....and that's probably why Zim was chewing his ass out on the sideline after that play.

Which by the way was good to see IMO, both Zimmer getting in Rhodes face and Rhodes reaction, nodding his head/patting Zimmer’s arm in agreement or acknowledgement as he walked by.

I mentioned it a couple days ago, I expected a lot more sideline fire from Zimmer when he got here. That doesn’t work for every player but this defense needs that intensity at times.
Post #: 1876
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:04:43 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

Rhodes has been ok, not worth what he's getting paid but at the same time it was a great play by Jones and Slayton.

His job on that play was to not get beaten by Slayton. And Slayton beat him. That road was open. He's getting paid to not let that happen....and that's probably why Zim was chewing his ass out on the sideline after that play.

Of course, but sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition. It was a great route by Slayton with the sluggo and perfect throw by Jones.
Post #: 1877
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:07:37 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

Of course, but sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition. It was a great route by Slayton with the sluggo and perfect throw by Jones.

Sure.

And it would be much less of a big deal if he wasn't struggling so badly this year.

Teams look to actively be attacking him.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/7/2019 11:10:39 AM >
Post #: 1878
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:11:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm disappointed to see the dissension from Diggs. I've been his fan.

I really don't want to overreact from yesterday's victory. I'll take it, but that was not a great team and it had some of its better players out, including their top two RB's and at least 3 LB's. They were starting a rookie QB. It was a win on the road, but it doesn't mean that much.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1879
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:16:30 AM   
Tom Sykes

The game was fun and a relief but won’t mean anything (given the soft opponent) if we come out against Philly selling out to our run game again. Even if we see Philly as weaker against the run than the pass (they’re not). We came out focused on spreading the ball around, as opposed to establishing an ‘identity’.

I will take a much less effective offense against a better Philly team if we at least get the win and look like we are trying to attack their defense using all of the tools at our disposal.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/7/2019 11:18:24 AM >
Post #: 1880
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:40:48 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I hope some of the panic will subside now. Both about Cousins and the team in general. 3-2 with losses at GB and CHI is not great but it's not the end of the world. People talk about winnable games. Well those were eminently losable games.

Yes a good team wants to occasionally win games like that. But at the beginning of the year, when the schedule comes out, unless you fancy the team as a reincarnation of the '72 Dolphins you start checking off probable wins and losses. It's entirely possible to carve out a reasonable 10-6 ish season that includes losses at Lambeau and Soldier Field.
Post #: 1881
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 11:49:34 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm disappointed to see the dissension from Diggs. I've been his fan.

I really don't want to overreact from yesterday's victory. I'll take it, but that was not a great team and it had some of its better players out, including their top two RB's and at least 3 LB's. They were starting a rookie QB. It was a win on the road, but it doesn't mean that much.

The $200K fine, if true, is a nice kick in the nuts for a cry baby player. Good job Vikings!

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 1882
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:06:39 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure.

And it would be much less of a big deal if he wasn't struggling so badly this year.

He hasn't been playing at the same level he was back in 2015-2017 but I wouldn't say he's struggling badly. Jones threw for 182 yds while they were down the entire afternoon. How many times was he targeted? Slayton finished with 62 yds, Tate had under 20, Shepherd was mostly in the slot. Adams had a strong game against him but at the same time he shut down Julio. My guess is he will have a good game against Jeffery the type of WR he excels against.

Don't get me wrong I would reevaluate his contract at the end of the season, especially with Hughes and Waynes but he isn't the weak link he's made out to be here.
Post #: 1883
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:15:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure.

He hasn't been playing at the same level he was back in 2015-2017 but I wouldn't say he's struggling badly. Jones threw for 182 yds while they were down the entire afternoon. How many times was he targeted? Slayton finished with 62 yds, Tate had under 20, Shepherd was mostly in the slot. Adams had a strong game against him but at the same time he shut down Julio. My guess is he will have a good game against Jeffery the type of WR he excels against.

Don't get me wrong I would reevaluate his contract at the end of the season, especially with Hughes and Waynes but he isn't the weak link he's made out to be here.

As David pointed out, it isn't the one play in one game, it's the whole season. Rhodes has been struggling all year. There are games where he simply looks like an old man running around in pass coverage, instead of someone who should be in his prime.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1884
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:19:38 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure.

His cap hit is 'only' $12.9 million next season with $4.8 million in dead cap if cut or restructured. I put 'only' in quotes because it's a lot - but not too far off of his worth in my opinion. After 2020 is where the team will have an easier time restructuring or cutting him.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1885
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:24:39 PM   
David Levine

PFF:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

After essentially being called out by his receivers for not being good enough, Kirk Cousins bounced back in a huge way. He wasn’t asked to do much in terms of making tough throws. Instead, he simply delivered the ball into the hands of his receivers consistently and accurately. That alone was enough to carry them to the win.

Adam Thielen was the best player on the field in this game and it wasn’t particularly close. He showed his strong hands and body control on his touchdown receptions, snagging the ball and securing it despite tight coverage. He also showed off his YAC skills as he made some great moves to pick up first downs or extra yardage after the catch.

Anthony Barr was all over the field for the Vikings’ defense. He had multiple solo defensive stops and was a tough matchup for the Giants when they tried to run the ball. But he was even better in coverage, making stops there as well and then finishing the game with an interception.

On the other side of the coverage spectrum, Xavier Rhodes had a tough time whenever he was targeted. While he did have one nice pass breakup, he also surrendered multiple first downs to go with being beaten by Darius Slayton‘s double-move touchdown in the second quarter. He also picked up a couple of penalties that led to first downs for the Giants.

Rookie Takeaways

Center Garrett Bradbury had a bounceback game after a woeful start to his NFL career. He should finish reviews with the best pass-blocking grade and best run-blocking grade of his young career.

NEW YORK GIANTS

B.J. Hill was a tough matchup for anyone on the Vikings trying to block him in the run game. He made a handful of stops, but his impact went beyond that. He consistently won blocks at the point of attack and closed rush lanes all game long.

One defender who had a rough go of it for the Giants was Nate Stupar at linebacker. He had a couple of missed tackles and gave up some catches for big yardage.

The Giants’ offensive line did Jones no favors in this one, as they allowed a ton of pressure and also did a poor job of opening up any kind of running lanes. Nate Solder let up a sack and was beaten more than a few times on just a simple spin move, and he was actually not the Giants’ biggest problem. Jon Halapio also gave up a sack along with multiple pressures.

Rookie Takeaways

This was another tough game for Daniel Jones. While throws like his touchdown pass to Slayton are ones Giants fans salivate over, he also had a couple of turnover-worthy throws even before his late-game interception. Almost half of Jones’ completions came behind the line of scrimmage, and he didn’t show very good accuracy on anything beyond five yards downfield.
Post #: 1886
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:48:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

PFF:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Adam Thielen was the best player on the field in this game and it wasn’t particularly close.

Really? REALLY? I thought PFF actually watched the games.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 10/7/2019 12:49:13 PM >
Post #: 1887
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:52:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure.

Waynes absolutely got his ankles broken on one play that the Giants missed on.
Post #: 1888
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 12:53:07 PM   
The Happy Norseman

The Vikings beat a bad Giants team, as expected. That's what they do. The only chance they have to start beating good teams this year is if their offensive line starts coming together. Bradbury needs to progress (quickly) and Elf needs to somehow get better and return to at least his rookie form. It's amazing how much better a team looks when the qb has time to throw. Look at the Raiders beating the Bears as proof of what good oline can do for your entire team.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 1889
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 1:28:45 PM   
David F.

Whatever the Vike's D did to contain Evan Engram worked out fantastically. The Giants wisely gave him eleven targets (TE is this defense's achilles heel) that only translated to six catches for 42 yards. Hopefully they can do something similar to Ertz this Sunday.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1890
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 1:34:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

PFF:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Adam Thielen was the best player on the field in this game and it wasn’t particularly close.

Really? REALLY? I thought PFF actually watched the games.

You were probably too busy bitching about the fans to pay close attention to the game.
Post #: 1891
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 2:16:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I’ve rewatched the game and here are my take aways:

• the Darius slayton touchdown was more on Harris than Rhodes. Harris bit hard on a crossers that was doubled.

• Vikes need to replace the left side of the line before they even think about drafting a QB

(Deshawn Vaughan on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1892
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 2:20:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Top #Vikings grades from MIN@NYG:

Offense
• Thielen: 92.4
• Cousins: 84.7
• Elflein: 72.2
• Reiff: 71.1
• Diggs: 68.7

Defense:
• Barr: 90.9
• Kendricks: 90.4
• Odenigbo: 83.0
• Hunter: 75.8
• Griffen: 73.6

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

Post #: 1893
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 2:21:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Lowest grades:

Offense
• Kline: 49.1 (allowed 3 hurries)
• Rudolph: 51.1 (gave up a sack)
• Cook: 56.6 (two fumbles)

Defense
• Rhodes: 45.4 (3 catches on 5 targets for 61 yards & a TD + two penalties)

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

Post #: 1894
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 2:23:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

They do grade kickers! 70.6 for field goals. Bailey now ranks 10th in field goal grade and first for kickoff grade

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

Post #: 1895
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 2:24:00 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Great win...still not convinced about Cousins, but I will say the sideline out pass to Theilan with defender draped on him was the best pass I have ever seen him throw.
Post #: 1896
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 3:34:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

Cook was the best player on the field even with the 2 fumbles.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1897
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 3:40:07 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

• the Darius slayton touchdown was more on Harris than Rhodes. Harris bit hard on a crossers that was doubled.

• Vikes need to replace the left side of the line before they even think about drafting a QB

They need to draft a QB next spring. Guy needs to be ready to take over in 2021.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1898
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 3:58:19 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

The Slayton TD was on Rhodes all the way. He failed to jam Slayton and then got turned around on not that great of a move. Harris was a bit late on the double team, but Rhodes got beaten badly right off the snap.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1899
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/7/2019 4:29:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The Slayton TD was on Rhodes all the way. He failed to jam Slayton and then got turned around on not that great of a move. Harris was a bit late on the double team, but Rhodes got beaten badly right off the snap.

We all saw Zimmer chewing out Rhodes. It was a perfect pass and the receiver was fast. I don't pretend to know whose fault it was for a fact, but I thought it was on Rhodes.

Post #: 1900
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode