Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 8:45:33 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/08/if-college-football-season-doesnt-happen-nfl-likely-will-play-on-saturdays/

Interesting.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2776
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 10:41:14 AM   
bohumm

quote:

Wow. That's never good for a young athlete. He will likely be out permanently, but we all wish him the best.

Edit: Here is Smith correcting me assuring that he will be back. He calls himself lucky that a heart abnormality was discovered after he was infected with Covid. What a twist of fate.

https://twitter.com/Eric_L_Smith/status/1292223200143839233?s=09

I thought the same thing. There is concern about COVID causing long-term or permanent damage to organs, including the heart. In this case, it may have saved his heart and his life. This shows how people often discover health problems they have by having other health problems, which is yet another flaw in assuming everyone who seems young and healthy will not be harmed badly by COVID.
Post #: 2777
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 10:47:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Rookie Ezra Cleveland is not going to be a better tackle than Riley Reiff or Brian O'Neill, but he still has a good chance to be a better guard than Pat Elflein or Dakota Dozier. So a temporary move inside to guard makes some sense.

Nick Olson on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2778
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 10:56:12 AM   
Bruce Johnson

With the #MNWild exiting the post-COVID playoffs and the #TWolves not invited to the post-COVID party, Minnesota’s four biggest pro sports (including #MNTwins and #Vikings) have now combined 107 seasons without a title.

Gopher Hole.com on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2779
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 11:56:09 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Rookie Ezra Cleveland is not going to be a better tackle than Riley Reiff or Brian O'Neill, but he still has a good chance to be a better guard than Pat Elflein or Dakota Dozier. So a temporary move inside to guard makes some sense.

Nick Olson on Twitter

Ezra Cleveland is not going to be a better tackle than Riley Reiff. This year.
Post #: 2780
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 11:58:09 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Wow. That's never good for a young athlete. He will likely be out permanently, but we all wish him the best.

Edit: Here is Smith correcting me assuring that he will be back. He calls himself lucky that a heart abnormality was discovered after he was infected with Covid. What a twist of fate.

I thought the same thing. There is concern about COVID causing long-term or permanent damage to organs, including the heart. In this case, it may have saved his heart and his life. This shows how people often discover health problems they have by having other health problems, which is yet another flaw in assuming everyone who seems young and healthy will not be harmed badly by COVID.

And no one assumes EVERYONE.
Post #: 2781
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:01:17 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Fair point. So people who advocate having a football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players?
Post #: 2782
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:01:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

This is big news.

https://twitter.com/wludford/status/1291866256472182784?s=09

But I can't confirm it. It might be fake.

Fake.

This is Dalvin's agent:

https://twitter.com/zachiller

The report came from:

https://twitter.com/zachiIIer

Why would someone put out phony news about a football player and his contract? A lot of people need attention to feel special nowadays.

Let's face it. That's what social media is all about anyway. Illegitimate account or otherwise.
Post #: 2783
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:05:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair point. So people who advocate having a football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players?

There is permanent damage done to some players every season.
Post #: 2784
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:09:06 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

An unfortunate part of the game, but also one that every player is fully aware of when they choose to play the sport.

Not sure how COVID falls under the same category.
Post #: 2785
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:12:38 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

An unfortunate part of the game, but also one that every player is fully aware of when they choose to play the sport.

Nor does the "normal" permanent damage have the potential to spread beyond the players, particularly to those who help in their lives (grocery store workers, healthcare workers, servers, etc.).
Post #: 2786
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:43:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just saying that people who advocate having ANY football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players.

Also players had the opportunity to not participate in the 2020 NFL season, considering the cost/benefit of imagined COVID risks and only getting paid a stipend (well North of my yearly salary) vs playing and making their contracted millions.
Post #: 2787
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 12:45:56 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just saying that people who advocate having ANY football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players.

Also players had the opportunity to not participate in the 2020 NFL season, considering the cost/benefit of imagined COVID risks and only getting paid a stipend (well North of my yearly salary) vs playing and making their contracted millions.

Again, as Bob said, what about all the people they come into contact with?

I can't remember the last time a player brought home an ACL injury and gave it to his family and friends.

Unless you go with a "bubble" like the NBA or NHL, you're endangering a lot more people than just the players/teams.
Post #: 2788
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 1:46:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Nick Olson on Twitter

I just simply fail to see why he wouldn't be a much better fit at LG being he has been playing LT the last 4 years in college and possibly at the HS level as well.

Add in that we seem to have a surplus of candidates that have been playing predominately on the right side during their college careers.

While I know some players can make this transition most cannot.

It's not hard to see that Elflain has been very bad esp in pass pro and needs to be pushed or flat out replaced.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2789
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 2:23:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't remember the last time a player brought home an ACL injury and gave it to his family and friends.

Unless you go with a "bubble" like the NBA or NHL, you're endangering a lot more people than just the players/teams.

That's one of the risks the player should be considering. Then they should opt out. If enough of them were agreeable to $150,000 vs their regular salaries then there would be no season. But most players would rather play AKA take the money.
Post #: 2790
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 2:52:40 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm curious if those who feel this way will be boycotting the season, assuming it happens? Why support an organization whose actions are expected to endanger the public?
Post #: 2791
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 5:03:31 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's one of the risks the player should be considering. Then they should opt out. If enough of them were agreeable to $150,000 vs their regular salaries then there would be no season. But most players would rather play AKA take the money.

Is it indisputable that Covid causes long term damage to healthy people? Just wondering if they would need a longer term study to determine this.
Post #: 2792
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 5:06:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings have waived G Tyler Higby.

Minnesota Vikings on Twitter

He just got released from the Covid list.

Post #: 2793
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 5:11:44 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it indisputable that Covid causes long term damage to healthy people? Just wondering if they would need a longer term study to determine this.

It certainly can. If a person goes into ARDS and has to go on a vent, they can definitely end up with permanent impairment.
Post #: 2794
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 5:22:11 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It certainly can. If a person goes into ARDS and has to go on a vent, they can definitely end up with permanent impairment.

I'm not disputing it. Some people put it out there like it is a certainty.

BTW. The examples you brought up pages ago are heartbreaking and really make a person think when they don't want to wear a mask(where required) or social distance.

My thoughts are, if we closed up shop until now and had a full blown Recession/Depression, we would be in an even worse health crisis than what we have now.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 8/9/2020 5:23:38 PM >
Post #: 2795
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 6:48:24 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BTW. The examples you brought up pages ago are heartbreaking and really make a person think when they don't want to wear a mask(where required) or social distance.

My thoughts are, if we closed up shop until now and had a full blown Recession/Depression, we would be in an even worse health crisis than what we have now.

Definitely not a certainty. A weird thing about this virus is that so many are either entirely asymptomatic or have cases so mild that they're not easily distinguishable from a mild flu or cold. I have read that there is a concern about the impact of the inflammation that can be present on the heart especially, but other organs too. A lot of study is still needed about all of this.

The way I look at it is that we are already in a recession and I believe we're going to stay in these waters until we tamp down transmission. We have to be aggressive about masks, distancing, testing, and contact tracing, then we can open more fully and with more confidence. Right now we're not diligent, so we've never brought cases down nationally (and now they're up); there are areas that can probably open more, but it's hard to have confidence because a spike can happen anywhere because of interstate/area travel. I'm in the camp where we take our lumps now that we didn't initially since I think dragging this out leads to worse economic and health outcomes.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about my students. You've always struck me as a good guy.
Post #: 2796
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 6:53:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Definitely not a certainty. A weird thing about this virus is that so many are either entirely asymptomatic or have cases so mild that they're not easily distinguishable from a mild flu or cold. I have read that there is a concern about the impact of the inflammation that can be present on the heart especially, but other organs too. A lot of study is still needed about all of this.

The way I look at it is that we are already in a recession and I believe we're going to stay in these waters until we tamp down transmission. We have to be aggressive about masks, distancing, testing, and contact tracing, then we can open more fully and with more confidence. Right now we're not diligent, so we've never brought cases down nationally (and now they're up); there are areas that can probably open more, but it's hard to have confidence because a spike can happen anywhere because of interstate/area travel. I'm in the camp where we take our lumps now that we didn't initially since I think dragging this out leads to worse economic and health outcomes.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about my students. You've always struck me as a good guy.

You too. Even if you are a Clipper fan.
Post #: 2797
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 7:01:38 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You too. Even if you are a Clipper fan.

Oh shit, I forgot you're a Lakers fan. Well, I already said what I said......
Post #: 2798
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 7:05:51 PM   
unome

People, people, let's try and get along.

I think we can all agree that you guys are both right and that both Lakers AND Clippers fans suck.
Post #: 2799
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:15:09 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every NFL season there is some permanent damage to some players. Just stop. Nobody is advocating permanent damage to anybody. Will it happen. Almost for sure, but more likely from football than COVID19. If you are so against us playing football don't watch and don't participate on these message boards waiting for somebody to get sick so you can say I TOLD YOU SO. Wouldn't it be a bummer if none of the players or their family members suffered permanent damage so you couldn't brag about being right.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2800
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode