Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:16:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Wow. That's never good for a young athlete. He will likely be out permanently, but we all wish him the best.

Edit: Here is Smith correcting me assuring that he will be back. He calls himself lucky that a heart abnormality was discovered after he was infected with Covid. What a twist of fate.

https://twitter.com/Eric_L_Smith/status/1292223200143839233?s=09

I thought the same thing. There is concern about COVID causing long-term or permanent damage to organs, including the heart. In this case, it may have saved his heart and his life. This shows how people often discover health problems they have by having other health problems, which is yet another flaw in assuming everyone who seems young and healthy will not be harmed badly by COVID.

And no one assumes EVERYONE.

Fair point. So people who advocate having a football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players?

There is permanent damage done to some players every season.

absolutely. The only way to avoid all the risk is to not play the game. We want less injuries make it flag football.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/9/2020 9:17:37 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:19:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow. That's never good for a young athlete. He will likely be out permanently, but we all wish him the best.

Edit: Here is Smith correcting me assuring that he will be back. He calls himself lucky that a heart abnormality was discovered after he was infected with Covid. What a twist of fate.

I thought the same thing. There is concern about COVID causing long-term or permanent damage to organs, including the heart. In this case, it may have saved his heart and his life. This shows how people often discover health problems they have by having other health problems, which is yet another flaw in assuming everyone who seems young and healthy will not be harmed badly by COVID.

Fair point. So people who advocate having a football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players?

An unfortunate part of the game, but also one that every player is fully aware of when they choose to play the sport.

Not sure how COVID falls under the same category.

Same way. They choose to play the game or not. Nobody is forcing anybody to play. As a matter of fact anybody who didn't want to play was given the opportunity to sit out and collect $150,000.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:21:08 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

An unfortunate part of the game, but also one that every player is fully aware of when they choose to play the sport.

Just saying that people who advocate having ANY football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players.

Also players had the opportunity to not participate in the 2020 NFL season, considering the cost/benefit of imagined COVID risks and only getting paid a stipend (well North of my yearly salary) vs playing and making their contracted millions.

Again, as Bob said, what about all the people they come into contact with?

I can't remember the last time a player brought home an ACL injury and gave it to his family and friends.

Unless you go with a "bubble" like the NBA or NHL, you're endangering a lot more people than just the players/teams.

Getting tested every day and quarantining once they know they have it. This is just getting ridiculous. If you are so against it just boycott it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:22:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Check out this video and tell me why he hasn't made it in the NFL? By the way he's available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfv0OPczDlw&feature=emb_err_woyt

Here's an article about the subject.

https://purpleptsd.com/is-it-time-for-mobo-2-0/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:23:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just saying that people who advocate having ANY football season are fine with permanent damage or death to some number of players.

Also players had the opportunity to not participate in the 2020 NFL season, considering the cost/benefit of imagined COVID risks and only getting paid a stipend (well North of my yearly salary) vs playing and making their contracted millions.

I can't remember the last time a player brought home an ACL injury and gave it to his family and friends.

Unless you go with a "bubble" like the NBA or NHL, you're endangering a lot more people than just the players/teams.

I'm curious if those who feel this way will be boycotting the season, assuming it happens? Why support an organization whose actions are expected to endanger the public?
'Anybody who feels that the NFL and it's players are endangering others should boycott the season. As a matter of fact they should get together in huge numbers outside the stadiums protesting the games inside with a hundredten players and some staff.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/9/2020 9:32:12 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:24:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's one of the risks the player should be considering. Then they should opt out. If enough of them were agreeable to $150,000 vs their regular salaries then there would be no season. But most players would rather play AKA take the money.

Is it indisputable that Covid causes long term damage to healthy people? Just wondering if they would need a longer term study to determine this.

It certainly can. If a person goes into ARDS and has to go on a vent, they can definitely end up with permanent impairment.

It's possible. How likely is it?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:27:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

People, people, let's try and get along.

I think we can all agree that you guys are both right and that both Lakers AND Clippers fans suck.

yep that's something that we can all agree on.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:29:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

In a Facebook post, Houston defensive lineman Sedrick Williams said he’s had complications with his heart after testing positive for COVID-19 in early July. “I really don’t know the outcome or what’s in store for me in the future.”

(Joseph Duarte on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:33:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

In a Facebook post, Houston defensive lineman Sedrick Williams said he’s had complications with his heart after testing positive for COVID-19 in early July. “I really don’t know the outcome or what’s in store for me in the future.”

Was he fully symptomatic, mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:39:50 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every NFL season there is some permanent damage to some players. Just stop. Nobody is advocating permanent damage to anybody. Will it happen. Almost for sure, but more likely from football than COVID19. If you are so against us playing football don't watch and don't participate on these message boards waiting for somebody to get sick so you can say I TOLD YOU SO. Wouldn't it be a bummer if none of the players or their family members suffered permanent damage so you couldn't brag about being right.

What's wrong with you?
Post #: 2810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:46:22 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's one of the risks the player should be considering. Then they should opt out. If enough of them were agreeable to $150,000 vs their regular salaries then there would be no season. But most players would rather play AKA take the money.

Is it indisputable that Covid causes long term damage to healthy people? Just wondering if they would need a longer term study to determine this.

It certainly can. If a person goes into ARDS and has to go on a vent, they can definitely end up with permanent impairment.

About a third die. From the Mayo Clinic:

Many people who develop ARDS don't survive. The risk of death increases with age and severity of illness. Of the people who do survive ARDS, some recover completely while others experience lasting damage to their lungs.

Thanks to improved treatments, more people are surviving ARDS. However, many survivors end up with potentially serious and sometimes lasting effects:

Breathing problems. Many people with ARDS recover most of their lung function within several months to two years, but others may have breathing problems for the rest of their lives. Even people who do well usually have shortness of breath and fatigue and may need supplemental oxygen at home for a few months.
Depression. Most ARDS survivors also report going through a period of depression, which is treatable.
Problems with memory and thinking clearly. Sedatives and low levels of oxygen in the blood can lead to memory loss and cognitive problems after ARDS. In some cases, the effects may lessen over time, but in others, the damage may be permanent.
Tiredness and muscle weakness. Being in the hospital and on a ventilator can cause your muscles to weaken. You also may feel very tired following treatment.

This is specifically about people with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), which is the lungs' version of organ failure. COVID patients who end up on a ventilator almost always have ARDS.
Post #: 2811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 9:56:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Was he fully symptomatic, mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic?

quote:

Sedrick Williams

All I could find is that he was quarantined for two weeks. Covid seems to attack more for those who are overweight and he was a defensive lineman. Higby is an offensive lineman and I'm wondering if there is more to his release. It reminds me of Korey Stringer. He died because he was practicing hard in extreme heat, but also because he was a huge human being. Normally young people are not affected so much by Covid, but I am wondering about the large bodies along the offensive or defensive lines. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it doesn't become a big thing.

Post #: 2812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 10:26:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Some pictures of today's practice. I just went through half of them. They weren't practicing football.

https://www.vikings.com/photos/vikings-workouts-august-9#356bbaa3-b060-4acf-8298-06a6c6c6087b

Post #: 2813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 11:16:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

About a third die. From the Mayo Clinic:

Many people who develop ARDS don't survive. The risk of death increases with age and severity of illness. Of the people who do survive ARDS, some recover completely while others experience lasting damage to their lungs.

Thanks to improved treatments, more people are surviving ARDS. However, many survivors end up with potentially serious and sometimes lasting effects:

Breathing problems. Many people with ARDS recover most of their lung function within several months to two years, but others may have breathing problems for the rest of their lives. Even people who do well usually have shortness of breath and fatigue and may need supplemental oxygen at home for a few months.
Depression. Most ARDS survivors also report going through a period of depression, which is treatable.
Problems with memory and thinking clearly. Sedatives and low levels of oxygen in the blood can lead to memory loss and cognitive problems after ARDS. In some cases, the effects may lessen over time, but in others, the damage may be permanent.
Tiredness and muscle weakness. Being in the hospital and on a ventilator can cause your muscles to weaken. You also may feel very tired following treatment.

This is specifically about people with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), which is the lungs' version of organ failure. COVID patients who end up on a ventilator almost always have ARDS.

To date no football players have gone on a ventilator due to complications of COVID-19. Hopefully it stays that way.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2020 11:25:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every NFL season there is some permanent damage to some players. Just stop. Nobody is advocating permanent damage to anybody. Will it happen. Almost for sure, but more likely from football than COVID19. If you are so against us playing football don't watch and don't participate on these message boards waiting for somebody to get sick so you can say I TOLD YOU SO. Wouldn't it be a bummer if none of the players or their family members suffered permanent damage so you couldn't brag about being right.

What's wrong with you?

I don't know. I felt the need to lash back at you. I shouldn't have, but you IMO shouldn't be assuming I want pro sports to move forward just so I can get my fix. I want them to move forward, because I want us as a society to move forward. I'm of the opinion that taking reasonable precautions the COVID19 damage will be very minimal. So far it seems like just about everybody placed on the COVID list is coming off it in short order. I'm very hopeful that this all ends up a big to do about nothing. Today Bruce mentioned a football player who may have ongoing damage from a bout with COVID. I'm looking into that. Strangely they say if not for a COVID diagnosis our own Cameron Smith may not have found out about his own heart condition that could have been life threatening.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 7:51:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A couple articles to read that I thought were worth reading. The point that the Vikings is not satisfied with their DT situation for one and how the young safety prospects can be utilized for two.

https://zonecoverage.com/2020/minnesota-vikings-news/what-did-we-learn-from-the-minnesota-vikings-attempt-to-trade-for-p-j-hall/

https://zonecoverage.com/2020/front-page/which-minnesota-vikings-safety-prospect-could-be-the-next-anthony-harris/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/10/2020 10:55:33 AM >

Post #: 2816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 11:11:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Ron Johnson is saying that Jaleel Johnson is weighing 320 now. He might be the favorite for now to be the guy at nose on first and second downs.

Post #: 2817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 11:30:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Ron Johnson is saying that Jaleel Johnson is weighing 320 now. He might be the favorite for now to be the guy at nose on first and second downs.

My feeling is that Jaleel will have a breakout season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 11:41:18 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I was curious about Jaleel's draft profile and found this. The writer suggested he was a second round value. (that we picked up in the fourth) I believe that's not unusual. I mean, there may be 80 players who are rated as going in the second or third rounds. Still, it is encouraging to see that he has some potential to be a solid player.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/03/20/jaleel-johnson-2017-nfl-draft-profile/

Post #: 2819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 11:44:36 AM   
Bill Jandro

Apparently NFL players have to wear some sort of tracking device

The notice, a copy of which PFT has obtained, applies to all Tier 1 and Tier 2 personnel.

First, non-players in Tier 1 and Tier 2 can be fined or suspended for committing any of the following violations of the COVID-19 protocols: (1) refusing to submit to COVID-19 testing; (2) refusing to wear a mask or other required personal protection equipment; (3) refusing to wear the tracking device; and (4) refusing to maintain physical distancing in the team facility or while traveling with the team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/05/prohibited-pandemic-conduct-for-players-applies-to-all-tier-1-and-tier-2-personnel/

Post #: 2820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 12:41:02 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The notice, a copy of which PFT has obtained, applies to all Tier 1 and Tier 2 personnel.

First, non-players in Tier 1 and Tier 2 can be fined or suspended for committing any of the following violations of the COVID-19 protocols: (1) refusing to submit to COVID-19 testing; (2) refusing to wear a mask or other required personal protection equipment; (3) refusing to wear the tracking device; and (4) refusing to maintain physical distancing in the team facility or while traveling with the team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/05/prohibited-pandemic-conduct-for-players-applies-to-all-tier-1-and-tier-2-personnel/

It says that is for non-players. The article says the non-players have to follow things like the players, but doesn't specifically say players will wear tracking devices although it sounds like it.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/10/2020 12:49:14 PM >
Post #: 2821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 12:55:01 PM   
Bill Johanesen

(5) attending a professional sporting event (other than applicable NFL games or events) unless seated in a separated seating section, such as a suite or owner’s box, wearing PPE, and there are no more than 10 people in that separate seating section;

Congratulations to the NFL for excluding NFL games or events from 'professional sporting events' AND adeptly weaving in acceptable provisions for owner's, their hangers-on, and suite purchasers in their list of 'high-risk behaviors'.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/10/2020 12:56:31 PM >
Post #: 2822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 1:28:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

It says that is for non-players. The article says the non-players have to follow things like the players, but doesn't specifically say players will wear tracking devices although it sounds like it.

Ok. Should have figured there would have been a major mutiny by the players if they had to wear tracking devises.

Post #: 2823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 1:33:50 PM   
ratoppenheimer

No cfb should help the nfl greatly....

mike freeman@mikefreemanNFL
NFL GM tells me he believes it’s a forgone conclusion the NFL will play regularly on Saturdays if no CFB.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2020 1:50:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

No cfb should help the nfl greatly....

mike freeman@mikefreemanNFL
NFL GM tells me he believes it’s a forgone conclusion the NFL will play regularly on Saturdays if no CFB.

probably games on both sat and sun i'm sure

Post #: 2825
Page:   <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode