Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:11:49 AM   
TJSweens

Translation, we're going for a top 10 pick. Just think how many 7th rounders Spielman could convert that into.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6001
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:27:57 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Alexander Mattison is the presumed starter if he can clear the concussion protocol. Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone will likely get into the mix one way or another. Prefer Boone if Mattison can't go.
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m
Per source, Dalvin Cook had an unexpected family emergency come up on Tuesday and had to return to Miami. He will be unavailable to play in Sunday's finale vs. Detroit.

Oh Great shit.

wouldn't it be great to lose to the woebegone Lions on Sunday because we can't field a team worth a shit?

Someone suggested the Lions give AD the ball all day long since we have a defense that thinks tackling isn't part of the job and let him play what could very well be his last game like it was his first.

Wouldn't it be something for the Lions to put a pasting on us with AD going off for over 150 yards etc.

It would help our draft standing but I really don't want to be embarassed by the Lions.

That was Chuck Foreman.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6002
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:28:57 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Alexander Mattison is the presumed starter if he can clear the concussion protocol. Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone will likely get into the mix one way or another. Prefer Boone if Mattison can't go.
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m
Per source, Dalvin Cook had an unexpected family emergency come up on Tuesday and had to return to Miami. He will be unavailable to play in Sunday's finale vs. Detroit.

Oh Great shit.

wouldn't it be great to lose to the woebegone Lions on Sunday because we can't field a team worth a shit?

Someone suggested the Lions give AD the ball all day long since we have a defense that thinks tackling isn't part of the job and let him play what could very well be his last game like it was his first.

Wouldn't it be something for the Lions to put a pasting on us with AD going off for over 150 yards etc.

It would help our draft standing but I really don't want to be embarassed by the Lions.

That was Chuck Foreman.

Our defense is just being responsible by practicing social distancing.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6003
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:38:35 AM   
David Levine

Chris Tomasson:
Source says that #Vikings running back Dalvin Cook is flying now back home to Miami due to his father James Cook dying at the age of 46. Cook will not play in Sunday's finale at Detroit. Source said James Cook had been diabetic. Condolences to Dalvin's family.
Post #: 6004
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:43:58 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

I'm more than fine with a loss. Play backups as much as possible.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6005
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 11:46:52 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better TV talent evaluators IMO
He drools over Lance
I don’t care what level. How do you not throw an INT?

When to developing NFL quarterbacks, a few schools jump to the front of my mind: USC, Oklahoma and North Dakota State. Wait, what? Yes, North Dakota State! The Bison have dominated the FCS for the last decade, and their two previous starting quarterbacks emerged as NFL draft picks. After being selected No. 2 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2016, Carson Wentz has emerged as a top-tier NFL starter. His successor at NDSU, Easton Stick, was picked by the Los Angeles Chargers in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. I believe their current starter, Trey Lance, has the potential to be the best of the bunch. Here's my scouting report on the redshirt sophomore.
Height, weight: 6-foot-3, 224 pounds (school measurements).
2019 statistics: 192 of 287 (66.9 percent) for 2,786 yards, 28 TDs and 0 INTs; 169 carries for 1,100 yards (6.5 average), 14 TDs.
Game tape watched: Delaware (Sept. 14, 2019), UC Davis (Sept. 21, 2019), Nicholls (Dec. 7, 2019).
What I liked: When I evaluate quarterbacks, I try to narrow my focus to these five key areas: poise, accuracy, decision-making, play-making ability and toughness. After studying the aforementioned three games, I can confidently state that Lance is off the charts in all five areas. Let's look at each of them individually:
Poise: This is the most important trait for a quarterback, in my opinion. How do you perform when under pressure or in critical moments? When everything around you speeds up, do you have the ability to slow down and remain calm? Lance never looks rattled. He calmly and smoothly sidesteps pocket pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. He excels on third downs and in the red zone, always making the proper decision.
Accuracy: I say this all the time: Do not get caught up in completion percentage when evaluating accuracy. Lance completed nearly 67 percent of his passes, which is impressive, but the tape showed he was even more accurate than that number indicates. His ball placement is excellent. He really trusts his eyes and throws with anticipation, which allows his receivers better opportunities to run after the catch. He can layer the ball in the middle of the field (over linebackers and under safeties) and he excels on bucket throws (deep balls over the top).
Decision-making: I've never evaluated a draft prospect with this stat line: 28 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. You read that correctly. He had zero interceptions. When I saw that number, I expected to find an overly cautious player on tape. That wasn't the case, though. He is selectively aggressive. When there are big-play opportunities, he lets it rip and will fit the ball in tight quarters. However, he's very content to take his checkdown options if nothing emerges down the field. He makes full-field reads, and he's very quick to get to his third option before delivering the ball to the proper location.
Play-making ability: Here are the two questions I ask myself when evaluating this skill/trait: 1) Can you make something happen when the play breaks down? 2) Can you use your legs to pick up yards when the defense provides you with those opportunities? Lance can do both, and he does it effortlessly. He has outstanding instincts to avoid and create from the pocket and excels on designed quarterback options/runs. He's very athletic and generates big plays because of it.
Toughness: I noticed Lance's toughness mostly when he was used as a runner. He ran over a safety on the way to the end zone in the UC Davis game. He's very strong/sturdy, and he doesn't shy away from contact. I saw the same things from Wentz during his time in Fargo.
Where he needs to improve: More than anything else, Lance just needs to play more snaps. He has started for only one season. I was really looking forward to watching him play against a very talented Oregon defense this fall, but that game has been canceled. The lack of big-time competition might bother some evaluators, but I'm comfortable with what I've seen thus far. Aside from that, there is one mechanical thing he can adjust and improve on. Occasionally, he will fall off the mound on throws to his left. His front side opens up too early and his placement can be affected. That is very easily correctable.
Biggest takeaway: I was shocked at the maturity in Lance's game. It's uncommon to see a redshirt senior demonstrate this type of control and mastery of a system. Lance was a redshirt freshman! He does a wonderful job staying in the moment and executing. I didn't expect to see such a polished player at this stage of his development.
He reminds me of: Andrew Luck. I know Luck is a little bit bigger, but they are similar athletes and they both played with a maturity beyond their age at the collegiate level. I remember watching Luck run over defenders. I also remember being so impressed with his ability to execute on key plays in every game. I see the same things when I study Lance. More than anything else, these are two guys who exude confidence on the field. They are fearless, but they avoid being reckless. That's a very delicate balance. Luck was on his way to a Hall of Fame career before shocking the football world and retiring a year ago. I don't have quite the same grade on Lance, but he could get there with continued growth and development.

I do like Jeremiah's evaluations.
I'm sold!
Post #: 6006
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 12:09:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better TV talent evaluators IMO
He drools over Lance
I don’t care what level. How do you not throw an INT?

When to developing NFL quarterbacks, a few schools jump to the front of my mind: USC, Oklahoma and North Dakota State. Wait, what? Yes, North Dakota State! The Bison have dominated the FCS for the last decade, and their two previous starting quarterbacks emerged as NFL draft picks. After being selected No. 2 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2016, Carson Wentz has emerged as a top-tier NFL starter. His successor at NDSU, Easton Stick, was picked by the Los Angeles Chargers in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. I believe their current starter, Trey Lance, has the potential to be the best of the bunch. Here's my scouting report on the redshirt sophomore.
Height, weight: 6-foot-3, 224 pounds (school measurements).
2019 statistics: 192 of 287 (66.9 percent) for 2,786 yards, 28 TDs and 0 INTs; 169 carries for 1,100 yards (6.5 average), 14 TDs.
Game tape watched: Delaware (Sept. 14, 2019), UC Davis (Sept. 21, 2019), Nicholls (Dec. 7, 2019).
What I liked: When I evaluate quarterbacks, I try to narrow my focus to these five key areas: poise, accuracy, decision-making, play-making ability and toughness. After studying the aforementioned three games, I can confidently state that Lance is off the charts in all five areas. Let's look at each of them individually:
Poise: This is the most important trait for a quarterback, in my opinion. How do you perform when under pressure or in critical moments? When everything around you speeds up, do you have the ability to slow down and remain calm? Lance never looks rattled. He calmly and smoothly sidesteps pocket pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. He excels on third downs and in the red zone, always making the proper decision.
Accuracy: I say this all the time: Do not get caught up in completion percentage when evaluating accuracy. Lance completed nearly 67 percent of his passes, which is impressive, but the tape showed he was even more accurate than that number indicates. His ball placement is excellent. He really trusts his eyes and throws with anticipation, which allows his receivers better opportunities to run after the catch. He can layer the ball in the middle of the field (over linebackers and under safeties) and he excels on bucket throws (deep balls over the top).
Decision-making: I've never evaluated a draft prospect with this stat line: 28 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. You read that correctly. He had zero interceptions. When I saw that number, I expected to find an overly cautious player on tape. That wasn't the case, though. He is selectively aggressive. When there are big-play opportunities, he lets it rip and will fit the ball in tight quarters. However, he's very content to take his checkdown options if nothing emerges down the field. He makes full-field reads, and he's very quick to get to his third option before delivering the ball to the proper location.
Play-making ability: Here are the two questions I ask myself when evaluating this skill/trait: 1) Can you make something happen when the play breaks down? 2) Can you use your legs to pick up yards when the defense provides you with those opportunities? Lance can do both, and he does it effortlessly. He has outstanding instincts to avoid and create from the pocket and excels on designed quarterback options/runs. He's very athletic and generates big plays because of it.
Toughness: I noticed Lance's toughness mostly when he was used as a runner. He ran over a safety on the way to the end zone in the UC Davis game. He's very strong/sturdy, and he doesn't shy away from contact. I saw the same things from Wentz during his time in Fargo.
Where he needs to improve: More than anything else, Lance just needs to play more snaps. He has started for only one season. I was really looking forward to watching him play against a very talented Oregon defense this fall, but that game has been canceled. The lack of big-time competition might bother some evaluators, but I'm comfortable with what I've seen thus far. Aside from that, there is one mechanical thing he can adjust and improve on. Occasionally, he will fall off the mound on throws to his left. His front side opens up too early and his placement can be affected. That is very easily correctable.
Biggest takeaway: I was shocked at the maturity in Lance's game. It's uncommon to see a redshirt senior demonstrate this type of control and mastery of a system. Lance was a redshirt freshman! He does a wonderful job staying in the moment and executing. I didn't expect to see such a polished player at this stage of his development.
He reminds me of: Andrew Luck. I know Luck is a little bit bigger, but they are similar athletes and they both played with a maturity beyond their age at the collegiate level. I remember watching Luck run over defenders. I also remember being so impressed with his ability to execute on key plays in every game. I see the same things when I study Lance. More than anything else, these are two guys who exude confidence on the field. They are fearless, but they avoid being reckless. That's a very delicate balance. Luck was on his way to a Hall of Fame career before shocking the football world and retiring a year ago. I don't have quite the same grade on Lance, but he could get there with continued growth and development.

I do like Jeremiah's evaluations.
I'm sold!

I like Jeremiah's evaluations, too, but he's hardly infallible. He pegged Bradbury as an elite center, and it remains to be seen if he'll ever be adequate in pass pro. Don't know about Lance, but one guy's evaluation is just that.

That said, there's almost no way we're picking a QB in the first unless this regime is swept out.
Post #: 6007
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 12:17:25 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

This is essentially a pre season game... no meaning... play guys to evaluate them for next year rather than worrying about a win.
Post #: 6008
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 12:41:45 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

This is essentially a pre season game... no meaning... play guys to evaluate them for next year rather than worrying about a win.

I get that.

But we've been auditioning a lot of guys all season long and many have failed. Others are questionable.

I would be perfectly fine with what you are suggesting. I just don't want us to finish this season with an embarassing loss to a really bad team in Detroit.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6009
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 12:46:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Agreed
If my heart could ever accept our dumbass kicker shanking a game-winner,
HERE'S YOUR DAY

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6010
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:00:03 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

I get that.

But we've been auditioning a lot of guys all season long and many have failed. Others are questionable.

I would be perfectly fine with what you are suggesting. I just don't want us to finish this season with an embarassing loss to a really bad team in Detroit.

Plus,

After our last pseudo-preseason or meaningless game (last season against the toothless Bears in week 17) – some fans were crowning Samia and Udoh as 2020 starters.

All ... offseason ... long. (Some people still want to dismember this regime because 'Udoh never got a fair shot'. [ok, that's an exaggeration but only slightly])

Sunday might give us some insight into younger players, if we can maintain a little perspective.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 12/30/2020 1:02:24 PM >
Post #: 6011
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:10:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I just don't want us to finish this season with an embarassing loss to a really bad team

What Lions fans are saying too.
Post #: 6012
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:16:09 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I just don't want us to finish this season with an embarassing loss to a really bad team

What Lions fans are saying too.

oHHHHHHH snap

You right

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6013
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:22:52 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

I get that.

My heart is with you... but my head says an embarassing loss might be the way to change.
Post #: 6014
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:25:35 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

I get that.

Plus,

After our last pseudo-preseason or meaningless game (last season against the toothless Bears in week 17) – some fans were crowning Samia and Udoh as 2020 starters.

All ... offseason ... long. (Some people still want to dismember this regime because 'Udoh never got a fair shot'. [ok, that's an exaggeration but only slightly])

Sunday might give us some insight into younger players, if we can maintain a little perspective.

I've been pretty consistent from that game in saying that I thought Udoh looked serviceable and Samia was good one play and terrible the next.

Of course we never got a chance to see Udoh so that doesn't really prove anything there.

However, I think you saw exactly what Samia was capable of in that bears game... which is only valuable if as you say you are objective... I never thought Samia was starter material based on that game.
Post #: 6015
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:27:47 PM   
Bill Jandro

We currently pick 13th. Det picks 7th so a loss to them might get us to #10

This is a game where the loser is the winner

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6016
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:30:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

How about Houston. They would be picking 3rd but that pick goes to Miami in the Laremy Tunsil trade.

poor stupid chasturds

Post #: 6017
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:32:12 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The fumble piles should be hilarious ... YOU TAKE IT! No, no, you were here first! YOU should have it!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6018
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:41:33 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

We could take a knee at the coin flip...
Post #: 6019
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 1:47:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

How about Houston. They would be picking 3rd but that pick goes to Miami in the Laremy Tunsil trade.

poor stupid chasturds

Miami also owns Houstons 2nd rd pick (#36). Houston doesn't pick until #67

The Bill O'Brien effect

Post #: 6020
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:01:36 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m

Oh Great shit.

I get that.

My heart is with you... but my head says an embarassing loss might be the way to change.

I seriously doubt an embarrassing loss will mean any meaningful change. the only good it does is improve our draft standing. Which Im ok with.

IF it were to lead to ownership cleaning some house like getting rid of RS and Zimmer...then I'd love it. But I think both are back next year and we suffer more.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6021
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:03:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

The current fantasy I am entertaining right now is that Mike Zimmer, so embarrassed by the terrible play of his team/defense, retires.

Then RS finds a REALLY GOOD young innovative coach to take over.

Post #: 6022
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:05:26 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

The current fantasy I am entertaining right now is that Mike Zimmer, so embarrassed by the terrible play of his team/defense, retires.

Then RS finds a REALLY GOOD young innovative coach to take over.

What is the alcohol content of that wine you are drinking?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6023
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:12:46 PM   
David Levine

Reiff out for the game: COVID list. But he has 1M riding on the game.

Chris Tomasson:
As noted last week, #Vikings Riley Reiff has played all 1,002 snaps. Already has gotten a $1 million bonus for playing 86% for year. Gets another $1 million for 93.75 percent. If he doesn't play & Vikings run 66 plays Sunday, he reaches that. If 67, he's under it They average 66.8
Post #: 6024
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:20:30 PM   
David F.

Dalvin Cook averaged 6.0 yards per carry in his first seven games of 2020 but just 4.2 yards per carry in the seven games since.

Feels like since the Bears game in Week 9 teams have been running a ton of bear fronts against Cook to clog all the cutback lanes. It's been working.

From twitter

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6025
Page:   <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode