Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  240 241 [242] 243 244   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:21:36 PM   
Bill Jandro

Chances are these morons will run Hill at LT vs getting a good look at Ezra there.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6026
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:46:54 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Chances are these morons will run Hill at LT vs getting a good look at Ezra there.

Oh that would be like saying water is wet.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6027
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:48:15 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

The current fantasy I am entertaining right now is that Mike Zimmer, so embarrassed by the terrible play of his team/defense, retires.

Then RS finds a REALLY GOOD young innovative coach to take over.

What is the alcohol content of that wine you are drinking?

You did note that I said it was a FANTASY.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6028
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:53:13 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

The current fantasy I am entertaining right now is that Mike Zimmer, so embarrassed by the terrible play of his team/defense, retires.

When you said RS would bring a really good, young, innovative coach.. I figured it had to be rocket fueled, somehow.. that is so far out there, Phil might be in the proximity...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6029
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 2:55:39 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

When you said RS would bring a really good, young, innovative coach.. I figured it had to be rocket fueled, somehow.. that is so far out there, Phil might be in the proximity...

Just some harmless delusion on my part,

In Phil's case, the delusions are dangerous.

Post #: 6030
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 3:02:36 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Alexander Mattison is the presumed starter if he can clear the concussion protocol. Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone will likely get into the mix one way or another. Prefer Boone if Mattison can't go.
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m
Per source, Dalvin Cook had an unexpected family emergency come up on Tuesday and had to return to Miami. He will be unavailable to play in Sunday's finale vs. Detroit.

Oh Great shit.

wouldn't it be great to lose to the woebegone Lions on Sunday because we can't field a team worth a shit?

Someone suggested the Lions give AD the ball all day long since we have a defense that thinks tackling isn't part of the job and let him play what could very well be his last game like it was his first.

Wouldn't it be something for the Lions to put a pasting on us with AD going off for over 150 yards etc.

It would help our draft standing but I really don't want to be embarassed by the Lions.

This is essentially a pre season game... no meaning... play guys to evaluate them for next year rather than worrying about a win.

I get that.

But we've been auditioning a lot of guys all season long and many have failed. Others are questionable.

I would be perfectly fine with what you are suggesting. I just don't want us to finish this season with an embarassing loss to a really bad team in Detroit.

My heart is with you... but my head says an embarassing loss might be the way to change.

I seriously doubt an embarrassing loss will mean any meaningful change. the only good it does is improve our draft standing. Which Im ok with.

IF it were to lead to ownership cleaning some house like getting rid of RS and Zimmer...then I'd love it. But I think both are back next year and we suffer more.

Never tell me the odds...
Post #: 6031
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 3:35:30 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

That's Han Solo's line.

Post #: 6032
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 4:43:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

I agree good discussion on coaching candidates.

It's neither here nor there – Zimmer will be our coach next year, Spielman our GM. Cousins our QB.

Doesn't hurt to fantasize though. I wish it were not so, I guess we'll find out for sure pretty quickly after next Sunday.

I fully expect a press conference with Mark Wilf talking about how crazy 2020 was and their confidence in the pieces in place, etc. (Deep down, I'm sure the owners are thinking 'playoffs in 2015, 2017, 2019 ... so 2021 is destined for a return to the playoffs ... that's one more year of not having to make the hard decision in public').

I think the Wilfs have been great owners in terms of providing the franchise with whatever resources / facilities it needs (and then some) ... they seem pretty hands off in the actual shaping of the team.

Like the owners, I really believe Spielman and Zimmer will have the team in contention again next year. I think we underestimate just how exceptionally 'barely good enough' they are at putting together playoff contending teams.

Unlike the owners, I recognize that returning to the playoffs in 2021 only means an abysmal, demoralizing loss (in the playoffs) to a team with a smarter coach, an nfl caliber OL, and a QB with some big game cajones – and that the playoff loss is really just the start of another miserable cycle with this regime, not a reason to raise expectations for the following season.

Enough.

Spot on post. We're also stuck with Barr, who's a good player but wildly overpaid for his production. With the obvious cuts that are coming due to cap space, coupled with the obvious needs of the team, RS pretty much has no choice but to draft/sign players that we've been clamoring for for years.

Out:
Reiff
Rudy
Harris
Stephen (possibly)
Smith - reworked contract
Barr - reworked contract

Must haves:
2 OG
1 3T DT
1 S
1 QBOTF
Depth everywhere

Will he actually do such a good enough job that we don't crash and burn in the playoffs (again)? Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes...

If we cut Reiff - and that very well could be the right move - add LT to that must have list. At worst, Reiff was an average LT this year, and might have been better. It's a pretty bit leap to think Cleveland (or whoever else) will slide right in and equal his production.

Similar to Mackensie, Trae, Everson, and Linval last year. Likely was the right move to not pay any of them huge money (although I think Zim burned bridges with Mac by playing him in meaningless game 17 where he got hurt), but I always cringed when people were like 'good riddance'. It isn't easy to just draft or get free agents to replace even average production. We may find the same when we (rightfully) don't sign Harris. That said, I don't think we miss Rudolph. Good dude - his production is pretty easily replaced IMO.

I'm afraid we're really gonna miss Reiff...

If we can't start Cleveland in his second year we might as well stop drafting in the second round. Besides, who else is out there? A highly touted UFA LT that some team simply lets walk, will choose to sign in Minny, and is very cheap? Or a middling talent like Reiff with no upside and that is STILL too expensive?
Post #: 6033
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 5:10:04 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

That's Han Solo's line.

Wrong universe... my bad...
Post #: 6034
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 6:36:00 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's neither here nor there – Zimmer will be our coach next year, Spielman our GM. Cousins our QB.

Doesn't hurt to fantasize though. I wish it were not so, I guess we'll find out for sure pretty quickly after next Sunday.

I fully expect a press conference with Mark Wilf talking about how crazy 2020 was and their confidence in the pieces in place, etc. (Deep down, I'm sure the owners are thinking 'playoffs in 2015, 2017, 2019 ... so 2021 is destined for a return to the playoffs ... that's one more year of not having to make the hard decision in public').

I think the Wilfs have been great owners in terms of providing the franchise with whatever resources / facilities it needs (and then some) ... they seem pretty hands off in the actual shaping of the team.

Like the owners, I really believe Spielman and Zimmer will have the team in contention again next year. I think we underestimate just how exceptionally 'barely good enough' they are at putting together playoff contending teams.

Unlike the owners, I recognize that returning to the playoffs in 2021 only means an abysmal, demoralizing loss (in the playoffs) to a team with a smarter coach, an nfl caliber OL, and a QB with some big game cajones – and that the playoff loss is really just the start of another miserable cycle with this regime, not a reason to raise expectations for the following season.

Enough.

Spot on post. We're also stuck with Barr, who's a good player but wildly overpaid for his production. With the obvious cuts that are coming due to cap space, coupled with the obvious needs of the team, RS pretty much has no choice but to draft/sign players that we've been clamoring for for years.

Out:
Reiff
Rudy
Harris
Stephen (possibly)
Barr - reworked contract

Must haves:
2 OG
1 3T DT
1 S
1 QBOTF
Depth everywhere

Will he actually do such a good enough job that we don't crash and burn in the playoffs (again)? Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes...

If we cut Reiff - and that very well could be the right move - add LT to that must have list. At worst, Reiff was an average LT this year, and might have been better. It's a pretty bit leap to think Cleveland (or whoever else) will slide right in and equal his production.

Similar to Mackensie, Trae, Everson, and Linval last year. Likely was the right move to not pay any of them huge money (although I think Zim burned bridges with Mac by playing him in meaningless game 17 where he got hurt), but I always cringed when people were like 'good riddance'. It isn't easy to just draft or get free agents to replace even average production. We may find the same when we (rightfully) don't sign Harris. That said, I don't think we miss Rudolph. Good dude - his production is pretty easily replaced IMO.

If we can't start Cleveland in his second year we might as well stop drafting in the second round. Besides, who else is out there? A highly touted UFA LT that some team simply lets walk, will choose to sign in Minny, and is very cheap? Or a middling talent like Reiff with no upside and that is STILL too expensive?

That's like Woody Allen's My Speech to the Graduates:

'More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.'
Post #: 6035
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 6:40:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Enough.

Out:
Reiff
Rudy
Harris
Stephen (possibly)
Barr - reworked contract

Must haves:
2 OG
1 3T DT
1 S
1 QBOTF
Depth everywhere

That's like Woody Allen's My Speech to the Graduates:

'More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.'

One path lead to a 7th rounder. The other to cap hell. Choose wisely my friends.
Post #: 6036
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 7:32:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Dalvin Cook averaged 6.0 yards per carry in his first seven games of 2020 but just 4.2 yards per carry in the seven games since.

Feels like since the Bears game in Week 9 teams have been running a ton of bear fronts against Cook to clog all the cutback lanes. It's been working.

Nick Olson on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6037
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/30/2020 9:21:42 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

That's Han Solo's line.

Han used it better.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6038
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 2:39:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

We currently pick 13th. Det picks 7th so a loss to them might get us to #10

This is a game where the loser is the winner

The fumble piles should be hilarious ... YOU TAKE IT! No, no, you were here first! YOU should have it!

It would be like that 1 big white guy 40% free throw shooter a few years back for the Wolves who became the teams main 3 point "threat" over the last stretch of the regular season. Madsen?
Post #: 6039
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 2:41:55 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
·
2m
Alexander Mattison is the presumed starter if he can clear the concussion protocol. Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone will likely get into the mix one way or another. Prefer Boone if Mattison can't go.
Quote Tweet
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin
· 15m
Per source, Dalvin Cook had an unexpected family emergency come up on Tuesday and had to return to Miami. He will be unavailable to play in Sunday's finale vs. Detroit.

Oh Great shit.

wouldn't it be great to lose to the woebegone Lions on Sunday because we can't field a team worth a shit?

Someone suggested the Lions give AD the ball all day long since we have a defense that thinks tackling isn't part of the job and let him play what could very well be his last game like it was his first.

Wouldn't it be something for the Lions to put a pasting on us with AD going off for over 150 yards etc.

It would help our draft standing but I really don't want to be embarassed by the Lions.

That was Chuck Foreman.

Our defense is just being responsible by practicing social distancing.

Post #: 6040
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 5:06:38 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

quote:

That's Han Solo's line.

I'll be a lot more pissed if we beat the Lions. That would be unfortunate. I said after we Beat GB Chic and Detroit it was unfortunate for the team. Even at the thought of making the playoffs I stood by that claim. There was no better season to lose than this year, especially how the season started out as it did. Do whatever you need to but for gods sake find a way to lose to the lions. Winning is not going to make anyone feel any better.

< Message edited by Pauldiercks1 -- 12/31/2020 5:07:50 PM >
Post #: 6041
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 6:18:01 PM   
ratoppenheimer

not a sure thing kubiak returns....

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
Kubiak on his return to OC/play calling duties & what that means for the future: "I’m kind of a year-to-year guy at this stage of my life as a football coach. But I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed working with the players. I love calling games, that’s the way I grew up.

"It’s interesting. I’ve had my opportunity to be a head coach and I enjoyed that, but it was really fun to be one of the guys again, if that makes any sense. Back in that room again and teaching, being one of the fellas." Kubiak said "we'll see what happens" RE: 2021.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6042
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 6:25:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Kubiak on his return to OC/play calling duties & what that means for the future: "I’m kind of a year-to-year guy at this stage of my life as a football coach. But I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed working with the players. I love calling games, that’s the way I grew up.

"It’s interesting. I’ve had my opportunity to be a head coach and I enjoyed that, but it was really fun to be one of the guys again, if that makes any sense. Back in that room again and teaching, being one of the fellas." Kubiak said "we'll see what happens" RE: 2021.

Sure sounds like he wants to come back.
Post #: 6043
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 6:48:06 PM   
Brad H

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness it's over. That was one shitty year in history.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6044
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/31/2020 6:58:38 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Source: #Packers standout LT David Bakhtiari suffered a season-ending knee injury today in practice. The belief is that he tore his ACL. Just crushing.

(Ian Rapoport on Twitter)

I'm sure we all here are crushed by the Packers loss.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6045
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2021 11:33:58 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Source: #Packers standout LT David Bakhtiari suffered a season-ending knee injury today in practice. The belief is that he tore his ACL. Just crushing.

Wow. That is an enormous loss. Levels the playing field in the NFC even more.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6046
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2021 11:37:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

A few spots in the draft are important if we are zeroed in on a position or player.

The higher draft position also potentially allows us to get more back in a trade down scenario, which sounds good this year with all our needs.
Post #: 6047
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2021 1:14:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

They'll just rotate and hold more without the flags.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6048
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2021 1:15:15 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Sure sounds like he wants to come back.

Clean

House

All of it

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6049
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/1/2021 3:02:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

They'll just rotate and hold more without the flags.

And why not. As Kevin Siefert says in ESPN, the number of holding calls are way down this year.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?view=team&year=2019

After being in the 700 range for several years, it's in the 400 range so far this year.
Post #: 6050
Page:   <<   < prev  240 241 [242] 243 244   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  240 241 [242] 243 244   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode