Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 8:36:21 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

I feel selfish. Now I don't know the exact rules on holdouts, contracts tolling and all that but...if you simply asked me if I was willing to take a chance on losing Cook after he came in after half a season and through the playoffs at chump change 2020 money...I'd say yes.

are you saying you think that letting him play half a season at $650k and the losing him in 2021 is better than giving him a $12m/yr - multi-year deal today?....

I'm saying I'm nervous about committing to a new contract and I'm ok using his crazy fresh legs while he tries to get paid in 2021.

Also, for you forget altering his 4th year in any matter. Mon starer. New contract or nothing.

"All contracts for drafted rookies are now a mandatory four years in length and no such contract—even for young players who are dramatically undervalued—can be renegotiated until after three years have passed under the contract."...from a sports illustrated article

If a contract ext is given at the end of year 3. Does the 4th year remain intact and ext kick in after it? or is 4th year year on rookie deal null and void?

i'm still looking into that, but this answers some earlier questions....

"Players taken in the third through seventh rounds are eligible for salary escalators in the fourth season, but second-round picks are not."...cook was a 2nd round pick so he's stuck making $1.3m this season....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 6/11/2020 8:58:58 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 8:50:26 AM   
Mark Anderson

BRUCE!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 1552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 8:57:08 AM   
joejitsu

Bruce is back! Be careful on your way to recovery, Bruce! We were all worried about you.
Post #: 1553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 9:26:59 AM   
Lynn G.

So grateful you received wonderful care, Bruce. We all look forward to hearing your story, but take your time. Get better.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 9:30:54 AM   
TJSweens

Great to have you back Bruce!

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:07:44 AM   
bohumm

The crowd isn't booing, they're screaming "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!"
Post #: 1556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:20:55 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm very emotional this morning with an amazing story to share. Still in the hospital, but grateful to MN medicine
It was hard for me to write this, so please give me time to get up to speed.

Such a blessing to hear from you Bruce. Hopefully your recovery will be strong from here on out.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:22:33 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I feel selfish. Now I don't know the exact rules on holdouts, contracts tolling and all that but...if you simply asked me if I was willing to take a chance on losing Cook after he came in after half a season and through the playoffs at chump change 2020 money...I'd say yes.

are you saying you think that letting him play half a season at $650k and the losing him in 2021 is better than giving him a $12m/yr - multi-year deal today?....

I'm saying I'm nervous about committing to a new contract and I'm ok using his crazy fresh legs while he tries to get paid in 2021.

Also, for you forget altering his 4th year in any matter. Mon starer. New contract or nothing.

If Cook comes in for the final 8 games on 20 we already have his rights for 21 on the cheap. He has to come in for training camp this year for any shot at FA in 21.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:30:02 AM   
kgdabom

Bruce I've had another message board, a church, and my best friend all praying for you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:38:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Bruce, welcome back so to speak.
Post #: 1560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 10:44:27 AM   
David Levine

BRUCE!!!

We've missed you buddy!
Post #: 1561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 11:17:06 AM   
thebigo

quote:

I'm very emotional this morning with an amazing story to share. Still in the hospital, but grateful to MN medicine

Bruce! My man! Made my day!
Post #: 1562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 11:23:30 AM   
Pauldiercks1

So Glad to hear from you Bruce. I thought about you often scrolling to see your name pop up again.

Hoping for a speedy recovery and I'd love to hear about your story when it's time.
Post #: 1563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 11:25:11 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't the NFL have salary bumps for players outside of the first round base on PT and performance? Did Cooks qualify for any of those? I think Elf did and ONeil.

I think Cook, when healthy, is special. I absolutely trust Kubiak's offense without him and using Mattison/Boone/2021 draft pick.

I'm also ok with a shorter (3 yrs), higher contract (11-13M) that has a bigger proportion of the contract as incentives (3-4M) and lower guarantees.

Sure. Mattison, Boone, Samia, Udoh ... the offense is loaded with back-ups that just need to be handed starting positions to transform into key starters.

What you ‘absolutely trust’ requires Dumbledore, not Kubiak.

Interesting choice of verbiage, considering Spielman's comments about how the staff views some of the players. Kubiak has a long history of developing olines and getting big production out of RBs that weren't high draft pics (or drafted at all).

It is pretty entertaining how offended you are by the suggestion we could have players develop and thrive under Kubiaks system. Also entertaining is the fact you omit the 2021 draft pick at RB and include oline players which weren't part of my original post.

Sorry to disappoint but not offended at all.

I find it interesting that some posters believe / have faith, etc. – maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, I don't claim to know – that we will be fine at our weakest position (G) by promoting last year's backups or that we will be fine by replacing arguably our best offensive skill player with his back-ups.

What percentage of starters in the NFL were backups before becoming starters? Should we never think it's gonna work out? You should really talk to fans of the Patriots. They are replacing Brady with Hoyer/Stidham (back ups) and currently are the favorites (LV lines) to win their division. We are replacing Elf (terrible) and Kline (hurt/average).

Funny how you went from a Harry Potter reference to "I don't claim to know".

I don't know anything.

IMO LB Wilson, TE Smith, CBs Hughes and Hill have all earned legitimate shots to compete for a starting position. IMO DE Odenigbo is the only backup that has earned the right to be penciled in as a starter (part of this is Griffith moving on [if he does]) although that may just mean he's first in a rotational role. He will have competition.

Again, I like Mattison. IMO he's a solid starter on any team that doesn't have an upper echelon RB. He's a solid starter on any team that has an injured upper echelon RB. Therefore, he's an important piece of our offense. The question is not if he is ready to be a starter – he is – the question is, how much of a drop off do you get from Cook to Mattison. We have both stated our opinions.

I myself have not seen enough of Samia or Udoh or Collins to think they are better than Elflein or Klein. The team didn't think so last year.

We'll see. It's a well-known fact that debaters will often throw out Harry Potter references to disguise a lack of confidence in their point of view.

Is it? Where was the one for your "It's a well-known fact that debaters will often throw out Harry Potter references to disguise a lack of confidence in their point of view." point of view?
Post #: 1564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 11:45:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

So glad to see you are recovering.

Get better.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 12:04:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

Get your strength up! We are here!!

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 12:58:28 PM   
unome

Welcome back, Bruce!!!
Post #: 1567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 1:21:11 PM  1 votes
Steve Remund

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster, I am very happy to hear from you again Bruce!!!

< Message edited by Steve Remund -- 6/11/2020 1:23:33 PM >
Post #: 1568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 1:47:27 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Remund

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster, I am very happy to hear from you again Bruce!!!

Lurk less and post more, Steve!
Post #: 1569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 1:59:32 PM   
Toby Stumbo

2020 with some good news? WOOT! Welcome back Bruce!

GO VIKES!
Post #: 1570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 2:51:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't the NFL have salary bumps for players outside of the first round base on PT and performance? Did Cooks qualify for any of those? I think Elf did and ONeil.

I think Cook, when healthy, is special. I absolutely trust Kubiak's offense without him and using Mattison/Boone/2021 draft pick.

I'm also ok with a shorter (3 yrs), higher contract (11-13M) that has a bigger proportion of the contract as incentives (3-4M) and lower guarantees.

Sure. Mattison, Boone, Samia, Udoh ... the offense is loaded with back-ups that just need to be handed starting positions to transform into key starters.

Interesting choice of verbiage, considering Spielman's comments about how the staff views some of the players. Kubiak has a long history of developing olines and getting big production out of RBs that weren't high draft pics (or drafted at all).

It is pretty entertaining how offended you are by the suggestion we could have players develop and thrive under Kubiaks system. Also entertaining is the fact you omit the 2021 draft pick at RB and include oline players which weren't part of my original post.

I find it interesting that some posters believe / have faith, etc. – maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, I don't claim to know – that we will be fine at our weakest position (G) by promoting last year's backups or that we will be fine by replacing arguably our best offensive skill player with his back-ups.

What percentage of starters in the NFL were backups before becoming starters? Should we never think it's gonna work out? You should really talk to fans of the Patriots. They are replacing Brady with Hoyer/Stidham (back ups) and currently are the favorites (LV lines) to win their division. We are replacing Elf (terrible) and Kline (hurt/average).

I don't know anything.

IMO LB Wilson, TE Smith, CBs Hughes and Hill have all earned legitimate shots to compete for a starting position. IMO DE Odenigbo is the only backup that has earned the right to be penciled in as a starter (part of this is Griffith moving on [if he does]) although that may just mean he's first in a rotational role. He will have competition.

Again, I like Mattison. IMO he's a solid starter on any team that doesn't have an upper echelon RB. He's a solid starter on any team that has an injured upper echelon RB. Therefore, he's an important piece of our offense. The question is not if he is ready to be a starter – he is – the question is, how much of a drop off do you get from Cook to Mattison. We have both stated our opinions.

I myself have not seen enough of Samia or Udoh or Collins to think they are better than Elflein or Klein. The team didn't think so last year.

We'll see. It's a well-known fact that debaters will often throw out Harry Potter references to disguise a lack of confidence in their point of view.

Is it? Where was the one for your "It's a well-known fact that debaters will often throw out Harry Potter references to disguise a lack of confidence in their point of view." point of view?

Take it to the Harry Potter thread.
Post #: 1571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 3:02:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know anything.

disguised. effectively it seems.
Post #: 1572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 3:29:35 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

great to hear from you...wow

Yes
+1
Keep Healing Bruce!!!!!

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 5:31:00 PM   
Hats4Bats

Bruce...Keep the healing up! So glad to hear from you!
We have all certainly missed your posts and links....

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/11/2020 6:02:54 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Wonderful news!!! So many in here pulling for you.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1575
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode