Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 12:45:24 AM   
ratoppenheimer

‘Sources have told me the ideal figure is north of what Christian McCaffrey is making ($16 mill/year), but it does not seem the Vikings want/can be in that ballpark.’

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 2:23:30 AM   
David Levine

Courtney Cronin:

Negotiations have been taking place for a while. According to multiple league sources, the Vikings’ initial offer was below $10 million per year, which was not deemed "reasonable" by Cook and his representatives.

Sources have suggested the initial figure proposed by Cook’s camp was close to the $16 million per year that Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey will make on his new deal. That number has dropped in recent negotiations to under $15 million, but neither side has yet to come to an agreement.
Post #: 1502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 6:31:28 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Courtney Cronin:

Negotiations have been taking place for a while. According to multiple league sources, the Vikings’ initial offer was below $10 million per year, which was not deemed "reasonable" by Cook and his representatives.

Sources have suggested the initial figure proposed by Cook’s camp was close to the $16 million per year that Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey will make on his new deal. That number has dropped in recent negotiations to under $15 million, but neither side has yet to come to an agreement.

there is no team in the league that would give cook over $10m/yr...not one....

Post #: 1503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 8:36:59 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

‘Sources have told me the ideal figure is north of what Christian McCaffrey is making ($16 mill/year), but it does not seem the Vikings want/can be in that ballpark.’

North of sixteen million?? Yeah, my "sources" told me that as well
Post #: 1504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 9:12:49 AM   
ronhextall

let him sit, he will come back (he has to really), if he has a good year..tag him.

It's a business.
Post #: 1505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 9:16:25 AM   
Bill Jandro

I like re-signing Cook at Gordon money (8ml)

The Johnson contract was a huge mistake and should not even be referenced.

Cook hasn't proven he can stay on the field. It's as simple as that.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 9:49:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I don't know---he missed two games last year and made the Pro Bowl. Also he is only 24. He would be pretty good value for 4-5 years.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 10:16:25 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I don't know---he missed two games last year and made the Pro Bowl. Also he is only 24. He would be pretty good value for 4-5 years.

Only 234 yards from scrimmage after week 10 last season.

He was out or dinged when we needed him most.

And that was his best season.

Post #: 1508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 10:20:54 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

North of sixteen million?? Yeah, my "sources" told me that as well

no kidding, my pet sorceress told me...fyi; that was a quote i read on twitter....

Post #: 1509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 10:24:05 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

That doesn't tell the story.

He still picked up an annual injury, but he was able to (mostly) play through it - but he was nowhere near his normal self. He played 6 games after the injury (including the 2 Playoff games) and averaged just over 3 YPC - with a high game of 3.44.

During Week 10 against the Dallas Cowboys, Cook rushed 26 times for 97 yards and a touchdown and caught seven passes for 86 yards in the 28–24 road victory. He was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance. However, Cook suffered a chest injury and would have only 117 rushing yards over the next four weeks (including a Week 12 bye), though he did have one touchdown in each of his three games of limited action over that time period. Cook was forced to miss the Vikings' Week 16 game against the Packers on Monday Night Football due to his chest injury. Without Cook, the Vikings lost 23–10.

Put simply:

Pre-injury, 10 Games: 203 Carries (20/Game), 991 yards, 4.9 YPC.

Post-injury, 6 Games: 84 Carries (14/Game), 256 yards, 3.0 YPC.

He also only had 9 carries in 3 of the 6 post-injury games.
Post #: 1510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 10:25:47 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ouch!

Tough situation. I'm cool with him holding out for 8 weeks but but it seems I always take that side. Definitely don't like the idea of a large percentage of the cap going to a running back - flash backs of A. Peterson
Post #: 1511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 11:09:31 AM   
I’m pretty sure we needed him against New Orleans as well, and he was pretty darn dynamic.

We need his explosiveness, after trading Diggs We are pretty low on playmakers that can blow the top off the defense.

That being said I’m not fond of paying him much north of $12mil. Seems to be a meet in the middle # to me.

I wait it out as long possible as we do actually have leverage.
  Post #: 1512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 11:11:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ouch!

Tough situation. I'm cool with him holding out for 8 weeks but but it seems I always take that side. Definitely don't like the idea of a large percentage of the cap going to a running back - flash backs of A. Peterson

Peterson actually earned his money mostly but that lasy year or two and ofcoarse the year he was on the commissioners list.

Post #: 1513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 11:14:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

I’m pretty sure we needed him against New Orleans as well, and he was pretty darn dynamic.

We need his explosiveness, after trading Diggs We are pretty low on playmakers that can blow the top off the defense.

That being said I’m not fond of paying him much north of $12mil. Seems to be a meet in the middle # to me.

I really like Cook (when healthy) but if it weren't for different names and numbers on their jersey it was real difficult to tell whom was carrying the football between Cook and Mattison.

I'm all for paying Cook gordon money but he has simply not earned bell cow money.

Post #: 1514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 11:59:17 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

I really like Cook (when healthy) but if it weren't for different names and numbers on their jersey it was real difficult to tell whom was carrying the football between Cook and Mattison.

I'm all for paying Cook gordon money but he has simply not earned bell cow money.

i would vote for letting him hold out for a fresh legged push the second half of this season and then select another rb with a trade up in the 3rd round next draft....

or, maybe make a deal with him now that we won't franchise tag him next year if he plays the 2020 entire season - maybe even double his salary this season for that deal....

Post #: 1515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 1:09:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

i would vote for letting him hold out for a fresh legged push the second half of this season and then select another rb with a trade up in the 3rd round next draft....

or, maybe make a deal with him now that we won't franchise tag him next year if he plays the 2020 entire season - maybe even double his salary this season for that deal....

You said no team would pay him north of 10 million...I think you're wrong. I'm sure no player in the history of the game would agree to what you're proposing. If it were even permissible which I'm sure it's not.

ESPN Breaking...Dalvin Cook agrees to double his 2020 contract to 3 million based on hopes and promises by the Vikings...

Come on man...
Post #: 1516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 1:32:34 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

You said no team would pay him north of 10 million...I think you're wrong. I'm sure no player in the history of the game would agree to what you're proposing. If it were even permissible which I'm sure it's not.

ESPN Breaking...Dalvin Cook agrees to double his 2020 contract to 3 million based on hopes and promises by the Vikings...

Come on man...

it's my understanding that they could renegotiate the fourth year of a rookie contract...i know it's outlandish, but i'm a deal maker - and i don't have the Vikes promising cook anything after 2020...also, i totally stand behind my $10m/yr assertion - what has the guy done but look great in ten games over three years?....

if i felt that we could get the dalvin cook of the first eight games of 2019 over the life of a contract then i'd pay him $10m/yr - but he's not that guy for more than half a season....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 6/10/2020 1:34:18 PM >

Post #: 1517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 1:59:36 PM   
Pager

Doesn't the NFL have salary bumps for players outside of the first round base on PT and performance? Did Cooks qualify for any of those? I think Elf did and ONeil.

I think Cook, when healthy, is special. I absolutely trust Kubiak's offense without him and using Mattison/Boone/2021 draft pick.

I'm also ok with a shorter (3 yrs), higher contract (11-13M) that has a bigger proportion of the contract as incentives (3-4M) and lower guarantees.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 2:14:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

He needs to put his money where his mouth is. Go ahead and hold out. I'd like to see that stupid decision play out.
Post #: 1519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 2:43:05 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on man...

Wow

Didn’t know we could even do that? Thought the rookie CBA would prohibit in some way.

In LA this year Dalvin looked about four levels of elite ness above Melvin Gordon and his $8mil figure.. Just my opinion.
  Post #: 1520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 4:20:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Courtney Cronin:

there is no team in the league that would give cook over $10m/yr...not one....

What do the Raiders have at RB? Chuckles might pay him north of $10M. Because, ya know, Chuckles is smarter than everybody else. And wacky too.
Post #: 1521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 4:28:01 PM   
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on man...

Wow

Didn’t know we could even do that? Thought the rookie CBA would prohibit in some way.

In LA this year Dalvin looked about four levels of elite ness above Melvin Gordon and his $8mil figure.. Just my opinion.

It read like Todd was talking about a deal being done for 2020, but he was being facetious.
Post #: 1522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 4:54:42 PM   
Pager

Raiders have Josh Jacobs in his second year. Stud.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 4:54:53 PM  4 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkytown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Spence is on one far end of the spectrum. You've got way more on the far end of the other spectrum.

His posts are pretty amusing - gets all the haters riled up. He's gotta be just poking the hornets' nest right?

Oh yeah, we definitely have way more pessimists, or what they prefer to be called ... "realists". Very few optimists these days, but I guess Spence takes it to another level and makes up for it!

I sort of wish he was poking the hornets' nest. Then I could understand some of it a bit more, lol, but honestly, I think he's being pretty genuine. Truthfully, I just think he doesn't understand the game on the level that most of us do. I think he's more of a casual fan. And then he reads all of the positive things I post, and lets his excitement get the best of him.

We have an Off Topic section (hidden to non-members so people don't join for the wrong reasons), and he has a lot of other interests (movies, music, writing, etc.). Again, I just don't think he understands the game the way typical message board members do. Oh well! His threads (both football and Off Topic) definitely add to the board, so...

So what yer sayin is you got your own Brad Hoiseth.
Post #: 1524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/10/2020 5:33:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkytown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Spence is on one far end of the spectrum. You've got way more on the far end of the other spectrum.

His posts are pretty amusing - gets all the haters riled up. He's gotta be just poking the hornets' nest right?

Oh yeah, we definitely have way more pessimists, or what they prefer to be called ... "realists". Very few optimists these days, but I guess Spence takes it to another level and makes up for it!

I sort of wish he was poking the hornets' nest. Then I could understand some of it a bit more, lol, but honestly, I think he's being pretty genuine. Truthfully, I just think he doesn't understand the game on the level that most of us do. I think he's more of a casual fan. And then he reads all of the positive things I post, and lets his excitement get the best of him.

We have an Off Topic section (hidden to non-members so people don't join for the wrong reasons), and he has a lot of other interests (movies, music, writing, etc.). Again, I just don't think he understands the game the way typical message board members do. Oh well! His threads (both football and Off Topic) definitely add to the board, so...

So what yer sayin is you got your own Brad Hoiseth.

Brad posts over there already. So yes, they have two

Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode