Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 10:11:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Here's a video showing Cousins running out of the pocket in Washington and suggesting that he do more of that as a Viking.

https://twitter.com/OstoyicKyle/status/1277116914419093504?s=20

no...i don't see him running any more than he does now...he's the type of runner that will get himself hurt...he puts himself in a position to take harder shots than he should - he can't avoid hard hits....

he runs awkwardly and stiff - it's just not natural for him....

He has 198 career carries. How many times has he been hurt?
Post #: 1851
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 10:41:10 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Here's a video showing Cousins running out of the pocket in Washington and suggesting that he do more of that as a Viking.

no...i don't see him running any more than he does now...he's the type of runner that will get himself hurt...he puts himself in a position to take harder shots than he should - he can't avoid hard hits....

I don't think running awkwardly and stiff have anything to do with getting hurt. RG3 never ran awkwardly and stiff. Actually, right now I'd run very awkwardly and stiff and I think I'd be less likely to get hurt than if I was running like a deer full of confidence - no, right now I'd be pretty smart about getting my ass on the ground when I got what it could get .... running awkwardly and stiff that is

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 6/28/2020 10:45:10 AM >
Post #: 1852
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 10:50:11 AM   
Pager

I think Cleveland is more pro-ready than ONeill was. ONeill was adding weight. Cleveland has been playing at 315 for a couple of years. I think Ezra will be a big improvement from day 1 in the passing game. I think he'll need to work on his run blocking but be adequate.

Unless our tackles have all taken a huge step back - there is no reason to keep Reiff. Saving 23M in cap this year and next is too important. We have at LT: Hill/ONeil/Ezra. At RT: ONeil/Udoh. In a pinch Hill can play RT and Dozier as emergency starter.

I've always advocated moving ONeil to the left side - but our IOL needs help. I'd like to see something like this:

Ezra
Collins/Samia
Bradbury
Udoh
ONeill

I think this could be a much improved group.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1853
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 11:50:45 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

I don't think running awkwardly and stiff have anything to do with getting hurt. RG3 never ran awkwardly and stiff. Actually, right now I'd run very awkwardly and stiff and I think I'd be less likely to get hurt than if I was running like a deer full of confidence - no, right now I'd be pretty smart about getting my ass on the ground when I got what it could get .... running awkwardly and stiff that is

I've always found it awkward to run when stiff... especially running from an angry husband.
Post #: 1854
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 1:35:53 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

I've always found it awkward to run when stiff... especially running from an angry husband.

hmmm, I suppose that would be an awkward situation.

I don't get the feeling our boy, Kirk, has that problem. Maybe Rat's speaking from experience - never thought of that
Post #: 1855
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 2:59:21 PM   
bohumm

Has Cleveland ever played the right side? Flip-flopping not as easy as it sounds for a lot of players, though some do it readily. I would keep Reiff this year for sure.
Post #: 1856
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 3:44:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

O'Neill had the benefit of a full off-season, including mini camps and OTA's.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Cleveland being ready. It's a big step from Boise State to the NFL. Bradbury was supposed to be one of the most NFL ready centers available in years, but look how he struggled early. If I'm wrong I will be happy to be wrong.

If you go to 2) in this article there more discussion about the offensive line situation.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2020-virtual-offseason-program

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/28/2020 3:47:42 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1857
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 3:51:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Another group that is wide open is the receiver group.

https://www.vikings.com/video/state-of-the-vikings-wide-receivers

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1858
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 4:35:34 PM   
Pager

There are simply too many options to keep Reiff at tackle or even on the team. Even if Ezra is not ready at the start of the season, Hill is better on the left side and could start the season, transitioning like we did with ONeil. If Udoh is ready, we can move Oneil to the left side and insert Udoh.

We've been cap strapped for two years. A stagnant cap (or worse) and Cousins cap hit rising the next few years, we will need the 23M. I'm more than ok with the Tackles learning on the job. Reiff is not irreplaceable. Is average at best, and there is a risk of decline.

Post #: 1859
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 7:04:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

There are simply too many options to keep Reiff at tackle or even on the team. Even if Ezra is not ready at the start of the season, Hill is better on the left side and could start the season, transitioning like we did with ONeil. If Udoh is ready, we can move Oneil to the left side and insert Udoh.

We've been cap strapped for two years. A stagnant cap (or worse) and Cousins cap hit rising the next few years, we will need the 23M. I'm more than ok with the Tackles learning on the job. Reiff is not irreplaceable. Is average at best, and there is a risk of decline.

You might be right, but the cap relief from cutting Reiff is very modest. I heard it speculated that he could be pressured to take a pay cut before the season begins, especially if he will not be a starter. I'm also thinking that he might be a better guard than LT, but I again I am just speculating. It's all up in the air.

I'm not a fan personally of making wholesale changes along the offensive line especially with a limited of-season. But it's not my call. Zimmer doesn't ask for my opinion.

Post #: 1860
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 7:18:06 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

You might be right, but the cap relief from cutting Reiff is very modest. I heard it speculated that he could be pressured to take a pay cut before the season begins, especially if he will not be a starter. I'm also thinking that he might be a better guard than LT, but I again I am just speculating. It's all up in the air.

I'm not a fan personally of making wholesale changes along the offensive line especially with a limited of-season. But it's not my call. Zimmer doesn't ask for my opinion.

I don't consider 23M modest. I consider it substantial. Didn't you post that the cap could be cut 40M next year (because of COVID)? With Reiff gone, we'd be under even a reduced cap and in a great position to sign some very talented player(s). A team like NO would have to cut some studs. I think Reiff at guard would be an abject failure like Remmers - I have zero confidence in that move.

ONeil/Collins/Hill have been in the same system for several years, Bradbury/Samia/Udoh - this would be their second year. Only player that this would be their first is Ezra, and we have options in case he's not ready.

There's no rush to cut Reiff, we can wait until the first game of the season (I think) before his contract becomes guaranteed.

Be interesting to see it play out.

Post #: 1861
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 9:00:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't consider 23M modest. I consider it substantial. Didn't you post that the cap could be cut 40M next year (because of COVID)? With Reiff gone, we'd be under even a reduced cap and in a great position to sign some very talented player(s). A team like NO would have to cut some studs. I think Reiff at guard would be an abject failure like Remmers - I have zero confidence in that move.

ONeil/Collins/Hill have been in the same system for several years, Bradbury/Samia/Udoh - this would be their second year. Only player that this would be their first is Ezra, and we have options in case he's not ready.

There's no rush to cut Reiff, we can wait until the first game of the season (I think) before his contract becomes guaranteed.

I believe this year the cap savings is only 8 million something. We can still keep him this year and cut him the next which is probably the wiser option.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1862
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 9:12:13 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe this year the cap savings is only 8 million something. We can still keep him this year and cut him the next which is probably the wiser option.

I was wrongly including his signing bonus. it would be 8.8M this year and the savings if unused would roll over to next year. Next yr would save 11.7. So 20.5M cap savings over two years. Still significant imo.

EDIT: With a Post June 1st Cut the 2020 savings would be 11M and 2021 11.8M. 22.8M for both years.

https://overthecap.com/player/riley-reiff/1068/

< Message edited by Pager -- 6/28/2020 9:25:31 PM >

Post #: 1863
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/28/2020 11:34:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was wrongly including his signing bonus. it would be 8.8M this year and the savings if unused would roll over to next year. Next yr would save 11.7. So 20.5M cap savings over two years. Still significant imo.

EDIT: With a Post June 1st Cut the 2020 savings would be 11M and 2021 11.8M. 22.8M for both years.

https://overthecap.com/player/riley-reiff/1068/

I thought the savings next year was less if we did the post June 1st which has obviously already came and gone. Not certain. Regardless if our line is worse by cutting Reiff this year it probably isn't worth it.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/28/2020 11:35:29 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1864
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 1:03:44 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

I think Cleveland is more pro-ready than ONeill was. ONeill was adding weight. Cleveland has been playing at 315 for a couple of years. I think Ezra will be a big improvement from day 1 in the passing game. I think he'll need to work on his run blocking but be adequate.

Unless our tackles have all taken a huge step back - there is no reason to keep Reiff. Saving 23M in cap this year and next is too important. We have at LT: Hill/ONeil/Ezra. At RT: ONeil/Udoh. In a pinch Hill can play RT and Dozier as emergency starter.

I've always advocated moving ONeil to the left side - but our IOL needs help. I'd like to see something like this:

Ezra
Collins/Samia
Bradbury
Udoh
ONeill

i admit that i'd never even heard of cleveland before the draft...where i live we don't get many college games - i haven't watched one in three years...that said, i'd be more comfortable having o'neill move to the left side than a late 2nd round pick rookie starting at left-tackle....

also, i'd feel better if we had one solid vet guard on the team for the left or right side - preferably left....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1865
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 1:11:04 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

this conversation started because there's talk that the Vikes are negotiating a trade; reiff for desmond king (CB) chargers...that's why reiff disappears - we would still have a cap savings of $6-9m this season, depending on post-June trade rules which i know nothing about....

Post #: 1866
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 1:16:35 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

no one is ever going to convince me that encouraging cousins to run more is a good idea...i've been re-watching most of 2019 games in condensed version and cousins seems to take a hard hit almost every time he runs the ball - he's got kyle rudolph's speed and quickness, and he's an 'awkward' slider, too....

Post #: 1867
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 5:52:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I do believe it might be mutually in the best interests of both the team and Riley Reiff if he would take a pay cut. He will definitely not be on the team next year without it and if he is cut this year he may experience difficulty latching onto another team for commensurate pay, especially if it is closer to the beginning of the season. If he reworked his contract so that it would be more "team friendly", it might also enable him to keep his job this year and next. Right now he is an experienced offensive lineman. He is not elite, but he has been a starting LT and there is a chance he could prove to be a solid option for guard, which is a position where we have no proven options.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 6/29/2020 7:13:57 AM >

Post #: 1868
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:15:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Ezra
Collins/Samia
Bradbury
Udoh
ONeill

i admit that i'd never even heard of cleveland before the draft...where i live we don't get many college games - i haven't watched one in three years...that said, i'd be more comfortable having o'neill move to the left side than a late 2nd round pick rookie starting at left-tackle....

also, i'd feel better if we had one solid vet guard on the team for the left or right side - preferably left....

When watching Mattison clips when he was drafted Cleveland stood out like a sore thumb. I very much had him on my draft radar and I was very glad we got him. On the other hand the other highly rated tackle was still on the board and we passed on him. Time will tell if we chose right between the two, but I don't remember the other guys name.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1869
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:18:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

no one is ever going to convince me that encouraging cousins to run more is a good idea...i've been re-watching most of 2019 games in condensed version and cousins seems to take a hard hit almost every time he runs the ball - he's got kyle rudolph's speed and quickness, and he's an 'awkward' slider, too....

I wonder how much different the season would have ended up had Cousins ran for the first down instead of sliding against KC. IMO one of his two worst plays of the year with the end zone INT against the Pukers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1870
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:38:56 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ezra
Collins/Samia
Bradbury
Udoh
ONeill

When watching Mattison clips when he was drafted Cleveland stood out like a sore thumb. I very much had him on my draft radar and I was very glad we got him. On the other hand the other highly rated tackle was still on the board and we passed on him. Time will tell if we chose right between the two, but I don't remember the other guys name.

yeah, i get it...and I’m high on Cleveland because you and so many others have confidence in him....

Post #: 1871
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:44:06 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder how much different the season would have ended up had Cousins ran for the first down instead of sliding against KC. IMO one of his two worst plays of the year with the end zone INT against the Pukers.

If cousins doesn’t Have a wide open space in front of him, he is completely incapable of Making the play....

Post #: 1872
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:46:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ezra
Collins/Samia
Bradbury
Udoh
ONeill

I think you mean Josh Jones out of U of Houston. He went pick #72 in the third round. His stock sure fell, it seems. I thought he would go in the first round.

Post #: 1873
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 7:54:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If cousins doesn’t Have a wide open space in front of him, he is completely incapable of Making the play....

It is really weird too....when we signed Cousins he was top 5 in QB rushing yards and Rushing TDs for QBs the previous 3 years.....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1874
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/29/2020 8:56:51 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is really weird too....when we signed Cousins he was top 5 in QB rushing yards and Rushing TDs for QBs the previous 3 years.....

He's got the big contract now and he doesn't want to get hurt, I guess. If you're a Viking receiver you have to know not to give up on a play because Cousins is always thinking of passing.

Post #: 1875
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode