Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 9:46:31 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

My favorite Training camp position battle is gonna be at defensive under Tackle-

Lynch
Hercules
Stephen
Holmes

Pretty much the order I have them in, perhaps the top two in-
1A

Where does Watts fit? I thought he looked like the most complete 3 down player at 3T last year and got the second most snaps (without looking it up).

jaleel johnson is also mention in that article - he's a late bloomer that played well when given the chance last season...if we're keeping five d-tackles this season then i would say that they line up like this....

pierce
johnson/watts
lynch
hercules

final 53 cuts:
stephen
holmes

As Kurt said at under tackle:
Stephen, Hercules, Lynch, Holmes

Opposite:
Pierce, Watts, Johnson
Post #: 1901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 10:00:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings are a team that likes to develop prospects with potential. It usually doesn't work out. They are long shots like the German receiver and Spielmann loads up on late round draft picks and priority undrafted free agents like Jake Browning, Nevelle Clark and Quartney Davis. Mata'afa is another example. He was undrafted and undersized. It's true that he hasn't really done anything his first two years, but his first season was lost due to an injury. The Vikings could have made an injury agreement to part ways, but continued to invest in him by putting him on the IR. Last year he was kept on the roster, but he hardly saw the field. I'm sure that he's been working all of this time to get bigger and stronger.

He's still a long shot and there's a good chance he doesn't make the team with such a crowded DT room, but I'm interested to see how he does in training camp. I like the Vikings approach of identifying potential, spending freely and being patient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they have had a lot of success recently with these efforts. You could say that Bisi Johnson was the last receiver taken in the draft a year ago and seems to be turning out well. They have a few eggs in the long shot basket this year. I hope they hit a home run with one of them. Watts, Udoh and Odenigbo were past 6th or 7th round draft picks and they each have a chance to make significant contributions. And maybe Mata'afa. Just maybe.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 10:03:01 AM  2 votes
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Aren't they keeping more than 53 on the roster this year

more practice squad - i believe up to 16....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 10:14:41 AM   
Bruce Johnson

PLAYER PROFILE: Justin Jefferson WR

Elite inside route runner with excellent hands. 83% catch rate highest in NCAA. Creates enough separation to be a primary target. Ability to win contested catches in the end zone. Perfect fit to an accurate QB.

NFL comparable: Keenan Allen

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 10:18:58 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Elite inside route runner with excellent hands. 83% catch rate highest in NCAA. Creates enough separation to be a primary target. Ability to win contested catches in the end zone. Perfect fit to an accurate QB.

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

If he turns into our version of Allen, I'll be very happy with the pick.
Post #: 1905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 11:02:57 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Me too!
Combine results
Jefferson 4.43
Allen. 4.71

Especially a much faster version of Allen.
  Post #: 1906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/30/2020 11:27:15 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Me too!
Combine results
Jefferson 4.43
Allen. 4.71

Oh, yes. A deep threat and good in the red zone. I forgot that Allen ran that time. He seems to play faster than that.
Post #: 1907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 10:17:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

PLAYER PROFILE: Ezra Cleveland LT

Elite athleticism. Outstanding run blocker in zone transitioning into the second level. Quick feet with optimal hands and arms technique. Above 85th percentile pass blocking grade. Perfect fit for zone scheme.

NFL comparable: Taylor Decker

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Post #: 1908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 10:55:41 AM   
Pager

quote:

PLAYER PROFILE: Ezra Cleveland LT

Elite athleticism. Outstanding run blocker in zone transitioning into the second level. Quick feet with optimal hands and arms technique. Above 85th percentile pass blocking grade. Perfect fit for zone scheme.

NFL comparable: Taylor Decker

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

If Ezra is even in the same zip code as Reiff Sept 1, I'd rather give Ezra the game experience and save the 23M.

Last year was a deep draft for T, the deepest I can remember. Taylor Decker went 16th overall. In a normal year - Ezra probably goes late first round. In a scarce T year, mid-teens. IMO.

< Message edited by Pager -- 7/1/2020 11:05:33 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 11:37:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

We might be more successful recently with our second rounders than our first rounders. Of course I am rooting that our two first rounders this year become absolute studs. Our team is getting younger and that's exactly what we needed to do. I would maintain that we waited a year too long to part ways with Rhodes. Perhaps they learned something and that contributed to the decision to part ways this year with Griffen. Lots of young players mean hungry players who know they have to fight to get on the field.

Post #: 1910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 12:21:42 PM   
thebigo

quote:

We might be more successful recently with our second rounders than our first rounders. Of course I am rooting that our two first rounders this year become absolute studs. Our team is getting younger and that's exactly what we needed to do. I would maintain that we waited a year too long to part ways with Rhodes. Perhaps they learned something and that contributed to the decision to part ways this year with Griffen. Lots of young players mean hungry players who know they have to fight to get on the field.

It also means growing pains.
Post #: 1911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 1:52:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Hopefully they will play their best football at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

Contrast that with Griffen whose play dropped off as the season progressed.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/1/2020 1:53:14 PM >

Post #: 1912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 2:36:37 PM   
Pager

I'd much rather see growing pains than incompetence (ie Gladney vs Rhodes).

Post #: 1913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 2:41:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Rhodes had played so well in the past, but it was painful and embarrassing to see his performance last year.

I hope that Gladney is an inspiration.

Post #: 1914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 4:00:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I'd much rather see growing pains than incompetence (ie Gladney vs Rhodes).

Rhodes was kind of an extreme case, but yes. And you hope the growing pains are short lived.
Post #: 1915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 4:52:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It's just a hunch, but I'm thinking Dantzler will be like a breath of fresh air. I'm expecting good things from him.

Post #: 1916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 4:54:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A reliable source on Twitter just said there will be only two preseason games.

Don't expect Cleveland to be ready to start.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/nfl-preseason-cut-half-vikings-two-road-games

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/1/2020 4:57:05 PM >

Post #: 1917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 5:44:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Rick Sosa on Twitter)

Me too!
Combine results
Jefferson 4.43
Allen. 4.71

An incredibly faster version of Keenan Allen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 6:22:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

After missing the league’s entire virtual OTA period, a return to the #Vikings would be best for Everson Griffen if he wants to continue playing in the #NFL.

(Viking Age on Twitter)

Post #: 1919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 8:19:34 PM   
Pager

Where's Dana? His oline insights are fantastic.

The three things for Ezra to be able to start are physical including technique/mental/coordination or teamwork. Physical would be impacted somewhat by covid but there's a ton a player can be doing remotely. Technique work would be the biggest ?, imo, and I have no idea how well it can coached remotely. Mental - Ezra came from same what sounds like a similar scheme, granted the nfl adds a ton of complexity but I would think playbook/scheme is probably the most coachable in virtual meetings. Timing/Coordination/teamwork is also going to be advantage Reiff. I think if we have a new guard, that would be somewhat mitigated as Reiff would have to the amount of time on this as Ezra (to a degree).

Again I have no idea if Ezra is going to be ready or if Vikes will feel comfortable moving on from Reiff. It has my highest interest with oline being our weakest link.

Don't mean to be tedious. I find it interesting and like "talking through it" but can also drop if boring/too much.

Post #: 1920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 8:40:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Do you think there are some advantages to virtual meetings compared to OTA's and minicamps? Spielman seemed to think there were some advantages doing a virtual draft with all the principles in different places.

Post #: 1921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/1/2020 10:09:19 PM   
Pager

That's a great topic, Bruce. I was reading MMQB and the writer had been asking that same question. Someone from the Ravens was quoted and they did go into areas where there are advantages in virtual. I didn't read it with enough attention to recall it well, and I'm too lazy (right now to look it up). But when I have time and energy, I'll try and find it.

I've never coached, so I can't speak to it that aspect of it. As virtual meetings have taken over my personal and professional life, I find that they are much more efficient. I can go from virtual mtg, to other tasks/work, and back to meetings so effectively. Sharing of content from different sources is seamless.

Post #: 1922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 12:27:20 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm sure a lot of the time in OTA's is devoted to conditioning, stretching, etc. which the players can do on their own perhaps with some assistance of their agents who might be stepping in to see they have what they need. The OTA's are mostly non-contact. I did see where some of the receivers worked out with Thielen. I wonder if more of that is going on. In the end, contact practicing is irreplaceable and with only two pre-season games they will be even more critical than ever.

My hunch is that there are some advantages, but mostly disadvantages for the new players. The veterans are probably pleased with the extra time to be home this off-season.

Post #: 1923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 8:04:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Having only two exhibition games means there will be an extra "bye week" before the season begins. The teams can use that week for more practices and player assessments.

I have been in favor of reducing the preseason for quite awhile. Now we have it.

Playing two road games is not a big deal since there will not be fans in the stands.

Post #: 1924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 9:26:33 AM   
TJSweens

d

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1925
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode