Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 7:36:00 AM  1 votes
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

For anyone who thinks that wearing masks is idiocy in the midst of a pandemic - - - ask nurses in hospitals why they wear masks all day. Is it just a fashion statement, or is it just possible that the people who work around infectious diseases all day, every day, know what they're doing?

It matters little. There are probably 12 nurses out of 490,000 thousand in the U.S. that are not 100% convinced that masks work ... and their ‘testimony’ is all that matters ... that and which network it gets broadcast on.

What a beautiful world ...

It isn't the debate over if masks work or not. People hate wearing a mask and some refuse too because of it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1626
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 7:47:01 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

For anyone who thinks that wearing masks is idiocy in the midst of a pandemic - - - ask nurses in hospitals why they wear masks all day. Is it just a fashion statement, or is it just possible that the people who work around infectious diseases all day, every day, know what they're doing?

It matters little. There are probably 12 nurses out of 490,000 thousand in the U.S. that are not 100% convinced that masks work ... and their ‘testimony’ is all that matters ... that and which network it gets broadcast on.

I'm not against masks but why did our number 1 guy(Fauci) say that masks do little and maybe just make a person feel better?

This is a guy who has devoted his life to studying viruses(not just Covid 19). He said it just matter of factly. Then he did a 180 not too long after that. That was weird.
Post #: 1627
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 7:52:18 AM   
Brad H

quote:

It is astonishing to me that anyone going through COVID first hand would not be a strong advocate for basic health measures. Of any kind. The science is changing as we go along but our best understanding right now at this moment in time – not by the left or right, not by the Texas Tribune, etc but by medical professionals worldwide – is that social distancing and wearing masks help. Period. Not prevent, not guarantee, but help.

If you look hard enough, you can find proof from someone claiming the sun will rise tomorrow from the west. And you are looking too hard.

We are all guilty of blind spots but the commitment to not 'buckle under' to what is understood by medical professionals worldwide – because there is a political view at stake – is simply hardcore closed-minded on your part. IMO.

I am not a Democrat or Rebublican. This is not a left or right issue. The real issue transcends the stupidity of partisan views, from both sides.

What it has become, for those who assign a left or right label on it, is a perfect example of how people hard-wire themselves into a fixed narrow view.

Sometimes its just not everybody else who is the problem.

Key point said in this post a couple of times ... WORLDWIDE.

I have a lot of conservatives I know that think much of the mask, death count and COVID drama is nothing but hype from the Democrats. They seemingly, or willfully, forget/ignore that it is a GLOBAL pandemic. Unless the American Democratic Party has immense power around the globe that I am not aware of, it would seem that there may be something to this mask and social distancing thing.

With zero degrees in medicine and 56 years of never being let down by people in the medical world, I have no reason to question the medical professionals. Yes, there is a few in the medical profession that disagree with wearing masks, social distancing and consistent washing. However, in large part, these practices are going on around the globe.

Right now we are closing in on 580,000 people dead in this country from COVID-19. There was 500,000 more deaths in the United States in the past 12 months than the previous 12 months. The first can be argued in terms of what they died from, but the second is an irrefutable fact. The bottom line is, we have had more people die in this country in the last 12 months than in any 12-month period in US history. If not from COVID-19, then what? If they can answer that one, I will gladly participate in a debate. If not, there is no debate to be had.

If that makes me closed-minded, I'll take it.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/22/2021 7:54:28 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1628
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 7:56:22 AM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I'm not against masks but why did our number 1 guy(Fauci) say that masks do little and maybe just make a person feel better?

This is a guy who has devoted his life to studying viruses(not just Covid 19). He said it just matter of factly. Then he did a 180 not too long after that. That was weird.

Because some humans are not all knowing and we have to adapt to situations as more information comes in.

Unless you are Trump, there’s nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong ... which Fauci has done ... and evolving. The horrible error when lives are at stake is to be wrong and then double-down on being wrong to save face.
Post #: 1629
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 7:56:37 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

It is astonishing to me that anyone going through COVID first hand would not be a strong advocate for basic health measures. Of any kind. The science is changing as we go along but our best understanding right now at this moment in time – not by the left or right, not by the Texas Tribune, etc but by medical professionals worldwide – is that social distancing and wearing masks help. Period. Not prevent, not guarantee, but help.

If you look hard enough, you can find proof from someone claiming the sun will rise tomorrow from the west. And you are looking too hard.

We are all guilty of blind spots but the commitment to not 'buckle under' to what is understood by medical professionals worldwide – because there is a political view at stake – is simply hardcore closed-minded on your part. IMO.

I am not a Democrat or Rebublican. This is not a left or right issue. The real issue transcends the stupidity of partisan views, from both sides.

What it has become, for those who assign a left or right label on it, is a perfect example of how people hard-wire themselves into a fixed narrow view.

I have a lot of conservatives I know that think much of the mask, death count and COVID drama is nothing but hype from the Democrats. They seemingly, or willfully, forget/ignore that it is a GLOBAL pandemic. Unless the American Democratic Party has immense power around the globe that I am not aware of, it would seem that there may be something to this mask and social distancing thing.

With zero degrees in medicine and 56 years of never being let down by people in the medical world, I have no reason to question the medical professionals. Yes, there is a few in the medical profession that disagree with wearing masks, social distancing and consistent washing. However, in large part, these practices are going on around the globe.

Right now we are closing in on 580,000 people dead in this country from COVID-19. There was 500,000 more deaths in the United States in the past 12 months than the previous 12 months. The first can be argued in terms of what they died from, but the second is an irrefutable fact. The bottom line is, we have had more people die in this country in the last 12 months than in any 12-month period in US history. If not from COVID-19, then what? If they can answer that one, I will gladly participate in a debate. If not, there is no debate to be had.

Question is how do you hold China accountable to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Not sure your thoughts but I don't think it was an accident. They have no regard for Human Life over there, just how to become the most powerful country in the World.
Post #: 1630
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 8:03:58 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because some humans are not all knowing and we have to adapt to situations as more information comes in.

Unless you are Trump, there’s nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong ... which Fauci has done ... and evolving. The horrible error when lives are at stake is to be wrong and then double-down on being wrong to save face.

I'm not arguing that he didn't change his mind.

But, how does the #1 virus expert in the World get it so horribly wrong? There have been many contagious viruses that we have dealt with, not just Covid 19.

Can't we admit that he was pumped up as this great Covid 19 leader because he went against Trump on several issues, just like the great Andrew Cuomo.
Post #: 1631
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 8:18:18 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Question is how do you hold China accountable to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Not sure your thoughts but I don't think it was an accident. They have no regard for Human Life over there, just how to become the most powerful country in the World.

I don't have an answer to that question.

And I have no reason to think that it was not an accident, only speculation. If the United States really wanted to take economic power away from China, they have every opportunity ... quit ordering shit from China. It's totally within our own power. Of course Wallmart would go out of business, but such is life.

If China had no regard for human life, why is their death count so low? With 1.44-billion people, they have had just over 4,600 deaths. Who knows whether or not those numbers are real or not, but if true, they certainly care about their own people. And I have no reason to believe they intend to rule the world. I see that as nothing more than fear tactics and hyperbole.

The bottom line is, both the United States and China are economically dependent on one another. Both have immense purchasing power, but only one seems to show restraint and discipline as to what they will purchase. We could learn a thing or two from them if we would just open our eyes.

Post #: 1632
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 8:39:06 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But, how does the #1 virus expert in the World get it so horribly wrong? There have been many contagious viruses that we have dealt with, not just Covid 19.

Can't we admit that he was pumped up as this great Covid 19 leader because he went against Trump on several issues, just like the great Andrew Cuomo.

He didn’t ‘go up against Trump’. It was Trump who took issue with Fauci because Fauci’s message was getting more air time.

Again, its not the first or last time Fauci has been wrong. Saying somebody should know something is pretty hollow, the variables were very different and they are still changing day to day. He’s just a resource ... some people like him some people dont. He’s not even clearest or sanest voice in the room, or most humble. Fauci does not seem to be manipulating the information for political benefit like Cuomo ... who did it on a fraction of the scale that Trump did and still does. Cuomo will get what he deserves.
Post #: 1633
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 8:40:17 AM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did he say: "Don't wear masks, they don't do anything" or did he try and initially guard against everyone running around getting masks therfore depleting the supply for front line workers?

I feel it was a lot more the latter.
Post #: 1634
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 8:58:47 AM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

It isn't the debate over if masks work or not. People hate wearing a mask and some refuse too because of it.

These are children though, right? Because an adult wouldn't do this, unless they're selfish, churlish, entitled prima donnas who, in turn, support such behavior in others.
Post #: 1635
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:16:38 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did he say: "Don't wear masks, they don't do anything" or did he try and initially guard against everyone running around getting masks therfore depleting the supply for front line workers?

The bolded is my understanding. It was a massive mistake because public health is heavily reliant on clear and credible communication, and the initial misdirection undermined both. It has also allowed people to fixate on this one thing and this one person. But the larger mistake, which we may or may not be rectifying, was not having adequate clinical infrastructure in place for everything from mask, glove, and gown supplies to ventilator and mobile clinic stockpiles.

Even if it was intentional and evil, leadership at the time at levels above Fauci et al was the real failure. Fauci's statement pales in comparison to not wanting to bring people off of an infected cruise ship because it would hurt Trump's numbers. There is no alternative way of looking at that as anything other than selfish egoism and a sacrifice of lives for political/personal advantage.

Please cite that every time you bring up the mask thing.
Post #: 1636
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:18:30 AM  2 votes
Daniel Lee Young

No....no.....

You noooah understand.....

It is their GOD GIVEN right to do as they please...

God will protect them, god will only punish the sinners,

They live in ‘Merica!’

They an do as they please, don’t tread on me.. me..me..me...

FFS

Why do I even care..

Die if you want to..

Go meet god..

Let God give you the 411..

Idgaf...

Get out of my way...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1637
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:24:17 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences- people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face."
Post #: 1638
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:28:14 AM   
Todd M

I've communicated a few times the state of things here in Ontario. Never really gotten a response so I don't know if I should continue, or bother, but...you guys are like family in a way to me and I don't frequent any other circles.

We're almost 2 weeks into a 6 week lockdown. Everyone's hating on our govt. Most everyone here is super compliant with mask wearing and social distancing.

Just signed up for my 1st vaccine. They just opened it up for those 40 and up. I'm curious how long this will take. Said it could take weeks or months to be contacted lol. I doubt that, especially with my health issues.

First of 2. AstaZeneca one.
Post #: 1639
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:31:02 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The bolded is my understanding. It was a massive mistake because public health is heavily reliant on clear and credible communication, and the initial misdirection undermined both. It has also allowed people to fixate on this one thing and this one person. But the larger mistake, which we may or may not be rectifying, was not having adequate clinical infrastructure in place for everything from mask, glove, and gown supplies to ventilator and mobile clinic stockpiles.

Even if it was intentional and evil, leadership at the time at levels above Fauci et al was the real failure. Fauci's statement pales in comparison to not wanting to bring people off of an infected cruise ship because it would hurt Trump's numbers. There is no alternative way of looking at that as anything other than selfish egoism and a sacrifice of lives for political/personal advantage.

And when you bring up political advantage, please bring up the Southern Border in the middle of a Pandemic.

Common sense says you do everything you can to close it off during a Pandemic. Americans are locked down but some of our leaders want and encourage open borders to whoever.

Cartels are happy though. And so are the people who get their kicks for an hour with the trafficked kids and women.
Post #: 1640
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:31:54 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences- people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face."

Here's the quote:

‘They would like to have the people come off. I’d rather have the people stay [on the ship]. But I’d go with them. I told them to make the final decision. I would rather — because I like the numbers being where they are. I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.’— President Trump
Post #: 1641
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:34:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is here. Bruce says masks do not work. Says he caught COVID while wearing a mask (I don't think it is possible to 'know' with such certainty beyond anecdotal evidence).
Post #: 1642
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:35:59 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

Here's the quote:

‘They would like to have the people come off. I’d rather have the people stay [on the ship]. But I’d go with them. I told them to make the final decision. I would rather — because I like the numbers being where they are. I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.’— President Trump

Who's defending Trump?

I'm talking about the current covid expert in our country.
Post #: 1643
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:36:12 AM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And when you bring up political advantage, please bring up the Southern Border in the middle of a Pandemic.

Common sense says you do everything you can to close it off during a Pandemic. Americans are locked down but some of our leaders want and encourage open borders to whoever.

Cartels are happy though. And so are the people who get their kicks for an hour with the trafficked kids and women.

Is this Biden? Biden isn't an advocate of open borders. He is an advocate of reasonable, humane enforcement measures. But you're right, there are some Democrats who essentially advocate for open borders.
Post #: 1644
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:38:28 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Send the link where Fauci said masks do little and just make a person feel better.

Now very early on he was asking people not to wear certain types of masks because they needed to be for the medical enterprise.
Post #: 1645
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:39:44 AM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

Here's the quote:

Who's defending Trump?

You're talking about one infectious disease expert who made an error---perhaps somewhat deliberate for reasons previously stated---at the beginning of a global contagion with a NOVEL PATHOGEN that has proven to be complex.

If you're going to fixate on one part of the problem, have the integrity to include the much, much larger problem, who happened to have been Fauci's boss.
Post #: 1646
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:44:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

Here's the quote:

Who's defending Trump?

You're talking about one infectious disease expert who made an error---perhaps somewhat deliberate for reasons previously stated---at the beginning of a global contagion with a NOVEL PATHOGEN that has proven to be complex.

If you're going to fixate on one part of the problem, have the integrity to include the much, much larger problem, who happened to have been Fauci's boss.

I won't speak for Mark but Science isn't always honest. Putting the H1N1 vaccine in the Flu shot w/o telling anyone and asking people to still get a Flu Shot in March 2020 when COVID basically replaced it just so they could sell their vials of the vaccine are examples. $$$ and greed speaks instead of honest science at times.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1647
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:49:36 AM   
Brad H

I still have yet to see an honest doctor suggest ingesting bleach.

Post #: 1648
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 9:58:37 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go back a couple of pages. There was a ton of debate over whether masks work or not.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1649
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 4/22/2021 10:03:22 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's the quote.

Here's the quote:

Who's defending Trump?

I won't speak for Mark but Science isn't always honest. Putting the H1N1 vaccine in the Flu shot w/o telling anyone and asking people to still get a Flu Shot in March 2020 when COVID basically replaced it just so they could sell their vials of the vaccine are examples. $$$ and greed speaks instead of honest science at times.

That's business, not science. If you want to posit that business in America is largely unconcerned with honesty, I doubt you'll find much argument from the other side of the aisle.
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode