Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Talk 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/3/2021 5:11:27 PM   
David Levine

I'm impressed with what the Lakers did with little to work with.

They added the token old ring chasers (Melo, Ariza, Howard)
They added some decent early 30s role-players (Ellington, Bazemore)
They resigned THT.
Added a couple younger shooters (Monk, Nunn)
Post #: 301
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/4/2021 10:24:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

They resigned THT.

Several decent shooters but defensive liabilities. Vogel is supposed to be a defensive system guy. And spacing could be a problem at times but hopefully Davis can play at the 5 more like he did in the playoffs year before last.
Post #: 302
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/5/2021 8:18:40 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

They resigned THT.

Westbrook will be able to carry Lakers during regular season when Davis misses a bunch of games.

If I was the Laker's decision maker I would sit Davis almost all the games the last month of the regular season.
Post #: 303
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 9/23/2021 6:07:30 AM   
Karl Juhnke

One more reason I’m glad Wiggins is gone:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Golden State Warriors swingman Andrew Wiggins said earlier this year that the only way he would get a COVID-19 vaccine is if he were forced to do so. Now, as the start of the 2021-22 season nears, the organization is dealing with an ongoing headache behind the scenes because Wiggins' stance has not changed.

Wiggins has, to this point, decided against getting the vaccine, a league source told ESPN, confirming a San Francisco Chronicle report Wednesday night. This has put into question his availability for some games for the start of the season. As of Aug. 20, the city of San Francisco has required proof of vaccination for large indoor events.

The Warriors declined to comment on Wiggins' situation late Wednesday night, citing player privacy protocols. In a statement to the Chronicle, the San Francisco Department of Public Health said it would not comment specifically on Wiggins' situation -- unless the NBA grants him a religious exemption.

"We are actively addressing the matter of requests for religious exemption from vaccinations across many industries and will work with our business and entertainment community on next steps," the Department of Public Health said in the statement to the Chronicle. "We will provide further clarification on this topic."

Wiggins, 26, was one of the higher-profile NBA players to say publicly he would not be getting the vaccine, during his earlier comments on the topic.

"To each his own, really. Whoever wants to get it, can get it; whoever doesn't want to get it, don't get it," Wiggins said on March 22. "Right now, I'm not getting it, but it's no knock on anyone else that's getting it. I make my own decisions. But right now, I decided not to get it."

Wiggins at the time said he was waiting for more information.

"Yeah, I don't really see myself getting it any time soon, unless I'm forced to somehow," Wiggins said in March. "Other than that, I'm good."

The Chronicle reported that the Warriors put Wiggins in touch with an Oakland doctor to discuss the hesitancy in getting the vaccine, but he did not change his stance.
Post #: 304
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/4/2021 2:27:49 PM   
kgdabom

Andrew Wiggins got vaccinated just like I knew he would. His statement was that he wouldn't get vaccinated unless they forced him too. They forced him too. Not physical force. Financial force.
The NBA players association has agreed to docking pay whenever a player misses a game due to vaccination status.
Kyrie Irving remains unvaccinated.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 10/4/2021 2:34:22 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 305
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/11/2021 7:12:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

As of right now, Kyrie and the Nets are planning to move forward with him not playing home games, potentially forfeiting millions of dollars. Players do not get paid for games missed due to COVID reasons.

He’s free to do what he wants I guess, but he’s looking like a bit of a dim bulb. But we already knew that. He’s a flat Earther too.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 10/11/2021 7:13:43 PM >
Post #: 306
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/11/2021 7:45:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

As of right now, Kyrie and the Nets are planning to move forward with him not playing home games, potentially forfeiting millions of dollars. Players do not get paid for games missed due to COVID reasons.

He’s free to do what he wants I guess, but he’s looking like a bit of a dim bulb. But we already knew that. He’s a flat Earther too.

He's also threatened to retire if he's traded.
Post #: 307
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 3:51:34 AM   
Elliot

I was catching up on the Jon Krawczynski podcasts yesterday, when Jon basically said "we all know Kyrie fancies himself as some sort of deep thinker..."

How did he ever get accepted to Duke?

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 308
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 8:58:58 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

He's also threatened to retire if he's traded.

I don't believe him. The guy is starving for attention 24/7.

That being said, I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole. Nobody is going to trade for a flake that just leaves the team periodically and now can't play in some areans.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 10/12/2021 9:00:50 AM >
Post #: 309
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 10:40:49 AM   
David Levine

Nets say Kyrie Irving won't play until he's a 'full participant,' nix idea of exclusively playing road games

The Brooklyn Nets have made a major decision regarding Kyrie Irving's status for the 2021-22 season. On Tuesday, the team announced that Irving won't be allowed to serve as a part-time player for the team, and thus won't be permitted to practice with the team or play in road games until he is a 'full participant' and eligible to play in home games.

Nets general manager Sean Marks released the following statement regarding the situation:

quote:

Given the evolving nature of the situation and after thorough deliberation, we have decided Kyrie Irving will not play or practice with the team until he is eligible to be a full participant. Kyrie has made a personal choice, and we respect his individual right to choose. Currently the choice restricts his ability to be a full-time member of the team, and we will not permit any member of our team to participate with part-time availability. It is imperative that we continue to build chemistry as a team and remain true to our long-established values of togetherness and sacrifice. Our championship goals for the season have not changed, and to achieve these goals each member of our organization must pull in the same direction. We are excited for the start of the season and look forward to a successful campaign that will make the borough of Brooklyn proud.

Given New York's COVID-19 regulations, Irving isn't permitted to play in games in Brooklyn until he's proven to be eligible as his vaccination status remains in doubt. Although he did receive permission to practice with the Nets in New York, the Nets clearly aren't interested in having him available for just half of the season's games, or the distraction that would inevitably stem from such a situation.

The fact that the Nets want Irving to be 100 percent available to the organization and his teammates is no secret. Nets star forward Kevin Durant said as much last week.

"We want him here for the whole thing," Durant said of Irving. "We want him here for games, home games, practices, away games, shootarounds, all of it, so hopefully we figure this thing out."

The ball is now literally in Irving's court. The Nets open the regular season on the road against the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks on Oct. 19, so he still technically has time to get back with the team and not be forced to miss much game action. The question everyone across the league's landscape is now asking is if, and when, he will.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nets-say-kyrie-irving-wont-play-until-hes-a-full-participant-nix-idea-of-exclusively-playing-road-games/
Post #: 310
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 10:57:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

I was catching up on the Jon Krawczynski podcasts yesterday, when Jon basically said "we all know Kyrie fancies himself as some sort of deep thinker..."

Nice. Almost reads like a twofer on Irving and Duke.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 311
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 3:01:01 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Nice. Almost reads like a twofer on Irving and Duke.

I'm sure he loves being the center of attention. I'd kinda assumed that the Nets were behind the city's reclassification of the Nets training facility as a private office versus a public arena (thus allowing Kyrie to participate in practice). But it seems obvious from Bobby Marks' quotes that the Nets wouldn't have pushed for that.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 312
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 6:35:39 PM   
Matt Lang

Simmons has reported to the Sixers for a physical and meeting with Rivers and Morey
Post #: 313
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/12/2021 6:56:53 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Nets say Kyrie Irving won't play until he's a 'full participant,' nix idea of exclusively playing road games

Makes sense. That would be a difficult situation. Hard to build any continuity with a different road vs home lineup.

Plus this puts more pressure on Kyrie to just get a damn shot already. Smart play by the Nets.
Post #: 314
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/13/2021 4:32:06 AM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

Makes sense. That would be a difficult situation. Hard to build any continuity with a different road vs home lineup.

Plus this puts more pressure on Kyrie to just get a damn shot already. Smart play by the Nets.

The Nets brass is making it sound like it was solely ownership and front office making the decision. But it's hard to imagine a stance like the without first getting a sense of what your own players are comfortable with (perhaps anonymously). My guess is the Nets surveyed their own coaches/players and found they didn't want to be part of any approach that would accommodate Kyrie. Because of both safety and team continuity.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 315
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/13/2021 11:54:35 AM   
Bill Johanesen

He'll come around just like that bastion of principle Wiggins did once he is staring at lost earnings.
Post #: 316
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/13/2021 12:03:03 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

He'll come around just like that bastion of principle Wiggins did once he is staring at lost earnings.

It's hard to say. Money talks, but Irving is more of a nut job than Wiggins.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 317
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/13/2021 2:54:23 PM   
Elliot

One thing I think Kyrie values more than money is being viewed by the public as being a step ahead of the rest of us. I don't know that there's a price he isn't willing to pay to reinforce that.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 318
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/14/2021 5:47:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

For some reason when he wears that headband, he looks like an escapee from an insane asylum.
Post #: 319
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/15/2021 7:29:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Irving has more money than probably Beal and Simmons but after a couple of lost earnings they turn tail....

I read the TPups are pretty much vaccinated; if it is anything like the NFL they don't even need the 2nd shot to be considered vaccinated.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 320
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/15/2021 4:02:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Irving has more money than probably Beal and Simmons but after a couple of lost earnings they turn tail....

I read the TPups are pretty much vaccinated; if it is anything like the NFL they don't even need the 2nd shot to be considered vaccinated.

Maybe Irving is talking to (former)Hawks' G Brandon Goodwin.
Post #: 321
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/19/2021 1:30:37 PM   
Elliot

Simmons suspended for the opener.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32430529/philadelphia-76ers-suspend-ben-simmons-their-season-opener

~ John Lennon
Post #: 322
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/19/2021 1:46:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32430529/philadelphia-76ers-suspend-ben-simmons-their-season-opener

Looking like this isn't going to end well

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 323
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/19/2021 2:12:41 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Not sure anyone other than Rivers and Morey thought it would end well.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 324
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 10/19/2021 2:19:39 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Not sure anyone other than Rivers and Morey thought it would end well.

They're as delusional as Thibs was during the Jimmy Butt-head fiasco.

Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode