Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Talk 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/10/2022 2:29:40 PM   
Elliot

Does it bother anyone else that Simmons was really vilified for his stance to not play for the Sixers, but owned it; while Harden basically played like crap and feigned an injury to force a trade, but refused to acknowledge his obvious displeasure with the Nets?

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 351
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/15/2022 8:58:07 PM   
Steve Lentz

Celtics suddenly on fire!
Beat Philly 135-87!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 352
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/19/2022 6:30:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Lakers looking to trade Anthony Davis and a box of steel pins/rods/screws for a 5th rounder in 2043.
Post #: 353
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/21/2022 12:36:42 PM   
Pauldiercks1

Is Anthony Davis just not a good fit for them or does he just have nothing left?
Post #: 354
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/21/2022 1:42:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Is Anthony Davis just not a good fit for them or does he just have nothing left?

He's held together with spit and baling wire at this point.

But LeBron is already hinting at moving on from LA anyways. The latest is he's willing to rejoin Cleveland again (now that they have a really good team...)
Post #: 355
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/21/2022 1:46:37 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

But LeBron is already hinting at moving on from LA anyways. The latest is he's willing to rejoin Cleveland again (now that they have a really good team...)

AD being hurt all the time is nothing new....I said that when he was 24-25.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 356
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/22/2022 11:42:38 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Hopefully he lets them move on from him before his contract is up. Waiving no trade clause.

Lakers got a title from him and AD. Time to move on.
Post #: 357
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/22/2022 11:45:07 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

AD for Beasley, Prince and McDaniels
Post #: 358
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/22/2022 11:52:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Hopefully he lets them move on from him before his contract is up. Waiving no trade clause.

LeBron does not have a no trade clause. In fact no player in the league currently has one.
Post #: 359
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 2/22/2022 11:54:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

LeBron does not have a no trade clause. In fact no player in the league currently has one.

That's great news. But, they will probably choose the make money route and keep him around. Adding one more year of mediocrity.
Post #: 360
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/6/2022 4:31:11 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Lebron went off for 56 points in last night’s win over GS. He took 31 of the team’s 89 shots and 13 of their 21 free throws.

The old man has obviously decided the only hope for their sinking season is to put the team on his back. Sadly, this is a 100% accurate assessment.
Post #: 361
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 4:17:10 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Lebron went off for 56 points in last night’s win over GS. He took 31 of the team’s 89 shots and 13 of their 21 free throws.

The old man has obviously decided the only hope for their sinking season is to put the team on his back. Sadly, this is a 100% accurate assessment.

True enough. It underscores the problem the Wolves face being in the play-in tournament. The last team anyone wants to face in that situation is the Lakers, specifically because LeBron will LeBron and the NBA will not permit the Lakers to miss the field of eight.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 362
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 7:44:13 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

True enough. It underscores the problem the Wolves face being in the play-in tournament. The last team anyone wants to face in that situation is the Lakers, specifically because LeBron will LeBron and the NBA will not permit the Lakers to miss the field of eight.

I’d prefer not to face Lakers or Clippers. As it sits right now we’d get Portland or New Orleans who are battling for the last spot. It would still be nice to get into that 6 spot and avoid play in altogether. That’s seeming less likely but still not impossible.
Post #: 363
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 11:44:58 AM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’d prefer not to face Lakers or Clippers. As it sits right now we’d get Portland or New Orleans who are battling for the last spot. It would still be nice to get into that 6 spot and avoid play in altogether. That’s seeming less likely but still not impossible.

Nope. We'd get the Clippers in the opening match-up. 7 plays 8. 9 plays 10. And the loser of 7/8 plays the winner of 9/10.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 364
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 4:29:45 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope. We'd get the Clippers in the opening match-up. 7 plays 8. 9 plays 10. And the loser of 7/8 plays the winner of 9/10.

Oh I forgot how it worked. I’m so unversed in NBA playoffs lately. So weird to have to pay attention to it again. I thought it was a straight 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9 seeding

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 3/7/2022 4:31:29 PM >
Post #: 365
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 4:54:11 PM   
Elliot

Yeah. I think it's a little counterintuitive, but it's weighted to favor 7/8, making it double elimination for those teams.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 366
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/7/2022 5:28:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Yeah. I think it's a little counterintuitive, but it's weighted to favor 7/8, making it double elimination for those teams.

Right. A little clunky, but actually a very fair system that rewards the higher seeds.
Post #: 367
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/8/2022 5:22:44 AM   
Karl Juhnke

The wolves are 8-2 in their last 10. But the two teams we are immediately trying to catch are 8-2 and 9-1. Looks like still stuck at 7 will be the final outcome.
Post #: 368
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/8/2022 10:27:29 AM   
David Levine

quote:

The wolves are 8-2 in their last 10. But the two teams we are immediately trying to catch are 8-2 and 9-1. Looks like still stuck at 7 will be the final outcome.

Also the team behind us has gone 7-3 over their past 10.
Post #: 369
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/8/2022 8:17:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Really? Cause the NBA doesn't seem to care so far.
Post #: 370
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/9/2022 5:46:34 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Please elaborate. I'm inferring from your comment that you feel the NBA is somehow making it harder for the Lakers to win.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 371
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/9/2022 6:32:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please elaborate. I'm inferring from your comment that you feel the NBA is somehow making it harder for the Lakers to win.

Follow along, it's pretty easy. You say the NBA ~ will ensure the Lakers make the field of eight. I'm saying the results of the NBAs effort are not there since the Lakers have gone 2-8 in their last 10.
Post #: 372
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/10/2022 6:26:07 AM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Follow along, it's pretty easy. You say the NBA ~ will ensure the Lakers make the field of eight. I'm saying the results of the NBAs effort are not there since the Lakers have gone 2-8 in their last 10.

The Lakers still control their own destiny, meaning they're still positioned for the play-in. During the play-in games, they'll get the calls they need to advance. If they happen to slip out of the top 10, I think those favorable calls will come sooner.

Thanks for the condescending answer, though.

< Message edited by Elliot -- 3/10/2022 6:32:45 AM >

~ John Lennon
Post #: 373
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/11/2022 12:44:52 PM   
David Levine

The 28-37 Lakers are 19-16 at home (54%) and 9-21 (30%) on the road. They have 6 games left at home and 11 left on the road. Of those 17 games, only one of them is against a team that currently has a worse record than them (OKC). They have a pair of games against both the Pels and Wiz are somewhat winnable but the rest of their games are tough.

The 25-41 Spurs OTOH have 9 games left at home vs 7 on the road. They play the nosediving Blazers 3x and have one game each against OKC, HOU, and IND. They also play the Pels 2x. The rest of their games are tough.

The Lakers only have 1 more inter-conference win than the Spurs. The Lakers have 10 left against the West to the Spurs 15.

If the Spurs can win three more games out of their last 16 than the Lakers win in their last 17, the Lakers will almost certainly not be in the playoffs this year.
Post #: 374
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 3/11/2022 4:11:49 PM   
David Levine

Lakers are in a super weird position for the next year or two.

They have 4 players alone that bring them near the luxury tax next season in LeBron, AD, Westbrook and THT.

Something called "Auston Reaves" is the only other guaranteed contract for next year. Nunn has a 5.2M Player option, Stanley Johnson has a 2.3M Team option. Mason Jones has a QO. That's the roster.

Technically Westbrook has a player option for next year, but I don't see him turning down 47M.

They have no 1st round picks. If they draw 1-10 it goes to NOLA, 11-30 it goes to Memphis. NOLA also has the option to swap picks in 2023. And then NOLA has their choice of the Lakers 2024 or 2025 pick (no protections).

Because of that 2024/2025 option, the earliest 1st rounder the Lakers can trade is 2027.

Can they dump AD who still has 3 years and 120M owed to him?

They could probably find a taker for Westbrook if they're willing to take back worse (ie: longer) deals. But without 1st round picks to attach to him, it'll be tough. And I doubt they want to muck up their future cap because in 2023/24, AD and THT are the only contracts currently on their books.

Best thing they can do, I guess, is just hold tight and punt next year, and hope to attract 2-3 high end players with their cap room in 2 years.
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode