Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NBA Talk 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 11:48:02 AM   
David Levine

That's a sell your soul for a title attempt.

Brown was Boston's most consistent player in the Playoffs. Durant is still legit great but he's 8 years older than Brown, has played 80 some games combined the past 3 years and appears to never be happy no matter where he goes.
Post #: 426
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 11:51:25 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

NBA on TNT
@NBAonTNT
· 2h
The Nets and Celtics entered trade discussions for Kevin Durant, per @ShamsCharania

Boston reportedly offered Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and a draft pick for Durant, but the Nets also wanted Marcus Smart, more draft picks and potentially one more rotation player

The Minnesota/Utah trade has changed everything.

People say that, but it's lazy reporting.

Every other recent trade for a star has involved plenty of picks, but also much more talent than we sent out. We sent out a bunch of guys who top out as bench players on good teams. There was no SGA, Ingram, Simmons or even Lonzo Ball level player that we gave up.
Post #: 427
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 2:28:27 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

NBA on TNT
@NBAonTNT
· 2h
The Nets and Celtics entered trade discussions for Kevin Durant, per @ShamsCharania

Boston reportedly offered Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and a draft pick for Durant, but the Nets also wanted Marcus Smart, more draft picks and potentially one more rotation player

Every other recent trade for a star has involved plenty of picks, but also much more talent than we sent out. We sent out a bunch of guys who top out as bench players on good teams. There was no SGA, Ingram, Simmons or even Lonzo Ball level player that we gave up.

The bench may be stronger w/o the players we sent out....amazing to be able to send out 30 million in salary in Beverly and Beasley....replaced by Forbes and Rivers for 3-4 million.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 428
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 3:25:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

NBA on TNT
@NBAonTNT
· 2h

The bench may be stronger w/o the players we sent out....amazing to be able to send out 30 million in salary in Beverly and Beasley....replaced by Forbes and Rivers for 3-4 million.

No...

We did a good job filling out the bench, but Beverley is much better than Rivers (who might not even last the year as a lot of his contract doesn't even guarantee until mid January).

And Forbes is a very good shooter, but he's never shown if he can carry the load when needed on big volume. And as poor as Beasley is on defense, Forbes might be the worst guard defender in the game.
Post #: 429
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 4:46:51 PM   
Steve Lentz

Beverley was the heart of the defense last year. His defense and his overall intensity will be greatly missed.
Worst part of the trade for me.

To get, you have to give. You really can't replace what he brought to the team.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 430
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/25/2022 5:37:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Beverley was the heart of the defense last year. His defense and his overall intensity will be greatly missed.
Worst part of the trade for me.

To get, you have to give. You really can't replace what he brought to the team.

Fortunately we added one of the very best defenders of the modern era.
Post #: 431
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/26/2022 11:07:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

NBA on TNT
@NBAonTNT
· 2h

No...

We did a good job filling out the bench, but Beverley is much better than Rivers (who might not even last the year as a lot of his contract doesn't even guarantee until mid January).

And Forbes is a very good shooter, but he's never shown if he can carry the load when needed on big volume. And as poor as Beasley is on defense, Forbes might be the worst guard defender in the game.

I don't necessarily agree. The trade will give Nowell/McLaughlin more opportunities and maybe even Moore/Minot. I think it is the deepest bench they have had.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 7/26/2022 11:08:42 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 432
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/26/2022 12:59:21 PM   
David Levine

Rivers and Forbes are minimum salary guys for a reason.

Nowell has a chance to step up if he's willing to defend. That's what kept him glued to the bench so much last year. McLaughlin is a terrific 3rd PG.

Don't count on Moore or Minot to play a single meaningful minute this year.
Post #: 433
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/28/2022 8:50:35 AM   
Pauldiercks1

I can't see anyway our bench is better than last year. We had a pretty solid bench in my opinion and we gave up a lot of that in the trade.
Tough to replace Beverly, Beasley, and Vando right away. If things work out we should have an outstanding starting 5 with enough bench to give them the rest needed.
Edwards gets many headlines but I'm every bit excited to see how McDaniels game evolves this year.
Post #: 434
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 7/28/2022 2:18:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

I can't see anyway our bench is better than last year. We had a pretty solid bench in my opinion and we gave up a lot of that in the trade.
Tough to replace Beverly, Beasley, and Vando right away. If things work out we should have an outstanding starting 5 with enough bench to give them the rest needed.
Edwards gets many headlines but I'm every bit excited to see how McDaniels game evolves this year.

I believe for the most part Vando was a starter. He is being replaced at the 4 with Towns The addition of Gobert gives us a much stronger starting 5.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 435
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/1/2022 9:30:34 AM   
Pauldiercks1

Yes, You are correct, he was a starter. My mistake.
I always considered him a very nice backup.
Post #: 436
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/1/2022 6:52:03 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Bill Russell passed.

An agent for change. Part of the Mt. Rushmore (of sports figures anyway) regarding Ali's objections to going to Vietnam... himself, Jim Brown, Ali, a young Kareem. As an aside, ALL a generation ahead of their time sports wise.

Told it like is was/is in Boston with the racism. Well documented. More recently, Dramond and Mookie Betts spoke out. Mook faced slurs not as an opponent of the Red Sox, but while he was a superstar for them!
Post #: 437
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/4/2022 4:58:54 PM   
Elliot

“'Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources,' Jovan Buha of The Athletic reported. '(Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well.'”

I don't know what to make of this. I know it's the dog days of summer and decent NBA content is scarce. But is this really a story? I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but I'd be curious to know the context in how the subject came up. In any event, I can't imagine Westbrook is happy with this.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 438
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/4/2022 5:30:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

“'Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources,' Jovan Buha of The Athletic reported. '(Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well.'”

I don't know what to make of this. I know it's the dog days of summer and decent NBA content is scarce. But is this really a story? I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, but I'd be curious to know the context in how the subject came up. In any event, I can't imagine Westbrook is happy with this.

It was part of a mailbag Q&A from the Lakers writer at the Athletic:

What do you think the closing lineup will look like this season?

Based on the current roster, I project the closing lineup to look something like this: Davis, Toscano-Anderson, James, Brown and Reaves. I think Westbrook will often be in there, too, but it will depend on how he’s shooting, his decision-making and his defense.

Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources. (Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well.

The Lakers are light on shot creation with my proposed closing group, as Toscano-Anderson and Brown are more play-finishers, and Reaves, while capable of creating his own shot as he showed down the stretch last season, is more of a facilitator and secondary ballhandler.

James and Davis are locks, but Reaves is probably the closest thing to a third lock because of his versatile skill set. He can function as a secondary ballhandler –at least moreso than any Laker other than James, Westbrook and Nunn – and also defend either backcourt spot and smaller wings. His versatility isn’t found much elsewhere on the roster.

Toscano-Anderson has the projected edge over Stanley Johnson, but that could change in training camp, according to league sources.

With the fifth spot, Westbrook may have the advantage considering his status, but he may end up rotating with Brown, Nunn or Walker, depending on how they’re shooting that night.
Post #: 439
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/4/2022 5:45:21 PM   
Steve Lentz

Their current roster will have some big changes before the season starts.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 440
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/4/2022 6:19:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Their current roster will have some big changes before the season starts.

Maybe?

Only if they can get someone to take Westbrook off their hands. They have very few tradable assets and no picks.
Post #: 441
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/5/2022 3:28:45 AM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

It was part of a mailbag Q&A from the Lakers writer at the Athletic:

What do you think the closing lineup will look like this season?

Based on the current roster, I project the closing lineup to look something like this: Davis, Toscano-Anderson, James, Brown and Reaves. I think Westbrook will often be in there, too, but it will depend on how he’s shooting, his decision-making and his defense.

Lakers head coach Darvin Ham will have more power to bench Westbrook down the stretch of games, according to league sources. (Former head coach Frank Vogel did so a few times last season). That could eventually extend to removing Westbrook from the starting lineup as well.

The Lakers are light on shot creation with my proposed closing group, as Toscano-Anderson and Brown are more play-finishers, and Reaves, while capable of creating his own shot as he showed down the stretch last season, is more of a facilitator and secondary ballhandler.

James and Davis are locks, but Reaves is probably the closest thing to a third lock because of his versatile skill set. He can function as a secondary ballhandler –at least moreso than any Laker other than James, Westbrook and Nunn – and also defend either backcourt spot and smaller wings. His versatility isn’t found much elsewhere on the roster.

Toscano-Anderson has the projected edge over Stanley Johnson, but that could change in training camp, according to league sources.

With the fifth spot, Westbrook may have the advantage considering his status, but he may end up rotating with Brown, Nunn or Walker, depending on how they’re shooting that night.

Thanks for the paste, DL. I guess my broader question is this: To state that Ham, a new coach, has more power to bench Westbrook would seem to imply that the ability to bench Westbrook isn't a binary issue. Like, it's measurable. Sure, Vogel had some power to bench Westbrook. But Ham has more power to bench Westbrook.

And really, at the Staples Center, we really value our coaches based upon their overall capacity to bench Westbrook.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 442
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/5/2022 11:45:19 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Thanks for the paste, DL. I guess my broader question is this: To state that Ham, a new coach, has more power to bench Westbrook would seem to imply that the ability to bench Westbrook isn't a binary issue. Like, it's measurable. Sure, Vogel had some power to bench Westbrook. But Ham has more power to bench Westbrook.

And really, at the Staples Center, we really value our coaches based upon their overall capacity to bench Westbrook.

I'm guessing that said coaching power is based on how much LeBron likes you.
Post #: 443
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/5/2022 12:04:28 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing that said coaching power is based on how much LeBron likes you.

At home games, the Lakers can have Ty Lue step in and bench Westbrook for effect!

~ John Lennon
Post #: 444
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/9/2022 8:16:32 PM   
Bill Jandro

Durrant sounds like a nut case.

He wants Nets GM fired because he doesn't like the direction the team is taking. Meaning the Nets have decided to quit letting the inmates run the asylum. He also wants his hand picked coach Steve Nash gone.

Post #: 445
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/10/2022 1:23:26 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

He wants Nets GM fired because he doesn't like the direction the team is taking. Meaning the Nets have decided to quit letting the inmates run the asylum. He also wants his hand picked coach Steve Nash gone.

Since the 76ers are at the top of KD's trade list, can we pray for the Nets to trade KD for Embiid? Having a reunion in Brooklyn with Ben Simmons is too delicious.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 446
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/10/2022 1:54:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Since the 76ers are at the top of KD's trade list, can we pray for the Nets to trade KD for Embiid? Having a reunion in Brooklyn with Ben Simmons is too delicious.

Like to see the Nets stand their ground and say we're not trading you. Durrant is coming off looking like a spoiled child this offseason. The Nets have a good team as currently assembled if they can get this collective group of spoiled brats to buy in.

Post #: 447
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/10/2022 3:12:17 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like to see the Nets stand their ground and say we're not trading you. Durrant is coming off looking like a spoiled child this offseason. The Nets have a good team as currently assembled if they can get this collective group of spoiled brats to buy in.

Not sure how they might put the toothpaste back in that tube now.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 448
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/11/2022 6:07:28 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

quote:

So he wants to re-team up with Harden?
Post #: 449
RE: NBA Talk 2020 - 8/11/2022 7:04:14 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The NBA is planning on retiring Bill Russell's number 6 league-wide.

I think this makes sense. It's not a matter of whether he was the greatest player. Some may make that case, but others might say Wilt or Jordan or LeBron or whomever.

But Russell exemplifies the type of person and player the NBA likes to think is its heart and soul and core values. He was a giant of a man in every sense.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 8/11/2022 7:06:11 PM >
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: NBA Talk 2020 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode