Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 12:22:58 PM   
marty

The Vikings seem decent at run blocking, but poor at pass blocking, especially the interior OL.

Are they considering a new OL coach ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 401
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 12:25:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

I'm the biggest Reiff advocate on #VikingsTwitter and I hate to make him walk, but if you want to find a long-term LT, this is the draft to do it.

Insane amount of 1st/2nd round prospects this year.

Purple Post on Twitter

we have cheap young tackles...what we need is a couple of solid guards....

Reiff had a really good year last season. If he was willing to take another pay cut with incentives, I would re-sign him. Then I would look for guards who could start. Maybe free agency would be the best idea for that. I like the 3 tech draft, so perhaps we could trade back in the first, (hopefully picking up a late second rounder) select the best remaining 3 tech or edge rusher and do it again in the second with the position that was not addressed in the first.

Sorry. I'm rambling. I agree with you Ratoppenheimer.

I only bring back Reiff IF we are planning on going with Cleveland at LG or if we are not planning on moving Cleveland to LT. I will be very disappointed if Cleveland does not develop into a quality starter at either G or LT. Or maybe we are planning on switching Oneil to LT and starting Udoh at RT. Yes, the Udoh dream. One thing that cautions, is the continual musical chairs OL season after season. Maybe we are best off with Oneil, Cleveland, Bradbury, best new guy at RG, and Reiff. Still stuck with the same OL coach so will be same scheme.
Post #: 402
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 12:26:54 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I traded down six times before making a pick and then drafted 17 players in that PFF mock tool thingy. What fun! I downloaded the image but can't figure out how to post it.

Wake me up when someone gets a better draft grade than mine.

Thumbnail Image

Wasn't it Marty that suggested we take nothing but WRs a few years ago?

Just goes to show you the PFF Draft Simulator doesn't deserve much merit. I was looking to the second and third page for a few of those guys after the first three rounds and they still rated them A+ picks. And it doesn't even list quarterback as a position of need for the Vikings.

IMHO. No demonstration needed. all you needed to say was PFF and I already knew it had no merit.

The draft tool is just a fun thing they threw together to give people some amusement and spam their name around. The draft grades have nothing to do with PFF grades for players during games.

It is very fun for sure

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Post #: 403
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 12:40:04 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I traded down six times before making a pick and then drafted 17 players in that PFF mock tool thingy. What fun! I downloaded the image but can't figure out how to post it.

Wake me up when someone gets a better draft grade than mine.

Thumbnail Image

Wasn't it Marty that suggested we take nothing but WRs a few years ago?

Just goes to show you the PFF Draft Simulator doesn't deserve much merit. I was looking to the second and third page for a few of those guys after the first three rounds and they still rated them A+ picks. And it doesn't even list quarterback as a position of need for the Vikings.

IMHO. No demonstration needed. all you needed to say was PFF and I already knew it had no merit.

The draft tool is just a fun thing they threw together to give people some amusement and spam their name around. The draft grades have nothing to do with PFF grades for players during games.

It is very fun for sure

Thumbnail Image

Let's plan for the future:

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Post #: 404
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 12:50:04 PM   
TJSweens

Spielman just got aroused.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 405
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 1:46:41 PM   
David F.

. Now package it all and get 10 first rounders this year!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 406
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 2:44:33 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm the biggest Reiff advocate on #VikingsTwitter and I hate to make him walk, but if you want to find a long-term LT, this is the draft to do it.

Insane amount of 1st/2nd round prospects this year.

Purple Post on Twitter

we have cheap young tackles...what we need is a couple of solid guards....

Reiff had a really good year last season. If he was willing to take another pay cut with incentives, I would re-sign him. Then I would look for guards who could start. Maybe free agency would be the best idea for that. I like the 3 tech draft, so perhaps we could trade back in the first, (hopefully picking up a late second rounder) select the best remaining 3 tech or edge rusher and do it again in the second with the position that was not addressed in the first.

Sorry. I'm rambling. I agree with you Ratoppenheimer.

I only bring back Reiff IF we are planning on going with Cleveland at LG or if we are not planning on moving Cleveland to LT. I will be very disappointed if Cleveland does not develop into a quality starter at either G or LT. Or maybe we are planning on switching Oneil to LT and starting Udoh at RT. Yes, the Udoh dream. One thing that cautions, is the continual musical chairs OL season after season. Maybe we are best off with Oneil, Cleveland, Bradbury, best new guy at RG, and Reiff. Still stuck with the same OL coach so will be same scheme.

that guy barmore seems like a sure thing - draft him...i think cleveland has a higher upside at tackle than guard...can't keep everyone - we need to raise some cash to buy free agent guards, safety, wr#3 etc....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 407
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 3:19:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A lot of possibilities. I would not complain about the choice of Barmore. How could I if I say 3 tech is the team's greatest need and he seems to be identified as the draft's best 3 tech.

Overall, it does seem to be a good draft for selecting a lineman on either side of the line in rounds one and two. It's too bad we don't have a second rounder. Trader Rick likes to trade back a lot. Perhaps he will do that again.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 408
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 9:14:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

A lot of possibilities. I would not complain about the choice of Barmore. How could I if I say 3 tech is the team's greatest need and he seems to be identified as the draft's best 3 tech.

Overall, it does seem to be a good draft for selecting a lineman on either side of the line in rounds one and two. It's too bad we don't have a second rounder. Trader Rick likes to trade back a lot. Perhaps he will do that again.

It seems like Barmore gets rated all over the place ... draftnik Jeremiah has him as the second best DT and as the 41st ranked prospect. (He projects Onwuzurike as the best DT / 3T at #28)

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-2-0

It is such a weak year (at least at the top) for DTs ... we may decide to draft a DE with inside chops like your boy Rousseau LOL (to flip flop between DE and DT with Griffith when he inevitably signs).
Post #: 409
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 11:22:36 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

It seems like Barmore gets rated all over the place ... draftnik Jeremiah has him as the second best DT and as the 41st ranked prospect. (He projects Onwuzurike as the best DT / 3T at #28)

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-2-0

It is such a weak year (at least at the top) for DTs ... we may decide to draft a DE with inside chops like your boy Rousseau LOL (to flip flop between DE and DT with Griffith when he inevitably signs).

Hard to get a read on Barmore. I read today that he only started six games in college, which could portend well or badly. He and the OL from Northwestern are the best need fits, but I don't know about either being available and/or worthy of 14.
Post #: 410
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 8:49:03 AM   
Brad H

Whomever they pick, they better hit it out of the park. Without a second round pick, we are really handcuffed. No money for free agency. Only one pick in the first 75-80. One of the worst defenses in the league.

How do these guys keep their jobs?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 411
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 8:53:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Whomever they pick, they better hit it out of the park. Without a second round pick, we are really handcuffed. No money for free agency. Only one pick in the first 75-80. One of the worst defenses in the league.

I believe you would agree with this article, Brad.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/three-reasons-vikings-trade-down-first-round-2021-nfl-draft

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 412
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 9:41:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/three-reasons-vikings-trade-down-first-round-2021-nfl-draft

All depends on what you trade down for. Anything after the third round is nearly irrelevant. Trading down continuously is part of the reason we are in this mess. We need studs, not practice squad players and projects. I'd rather see us trade up to the second or third round. Let someone else have all of our fourth round picks. We need guys that can play immediately.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/25/2021 9:42:39 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 413
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 9:55:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Pierce back
Kendricks back hopefully healthy
Hunter back
Barr back

That has to be taken into consideration.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 414
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 10:09:43 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Pierce back
Hunter back
Barr back

With those guys returning the Vikings defense will be better next year. It's just a question of how much better. If all goes well with those four, it would make a HUGE difference and adding a quality 3T DT and S could be all the team needs to have a formidable defense. Not saying it will happen, but there's a legitimate possibility.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 415
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 10:27:33 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Pierce back
Hunter back
Barr back

With those guys returning the Vikings defense will be better next year. It's just a question of how much better. If all goes well with those four, it would make a HUGE difference and adding a quality 3T DT and S could be all the team needs to have a formidable defense. Not saying it will happen, but there's a legitimate possibility.

We also had a lot of young guys and rookies playing last year due to injury and free agency; that may bode well for this season. They made strides in season and will continue to improve this off season.

My draft wish won't happen but I want an anti RS strategy.

I want to trade up in the first, preferably for our next QB, if not, an identified stud at any position. I'd also like to trade some of those late/mid round picks for a 2nd rounder and then start addressing our most glaring needs after free agency.

I think we are going to cut and restructure enough to sign one new starter in free agency.

Below is a list I threw together that we could consider in a trade up from 14

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Zach Wilson
3. Ja'Marr Chase
4. Kyle Pitts
5. Rashawn Slater
6. Penei Sewell
7. Trey Lance
8. DeVonta Smith
9. Jaylen Waddle

< Message edited by Murph -- 2/25/2021 10:38:34 AM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 416
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 12:53:26 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

All depends on what you trade down for. Anything after the third round is nearly irrelevant. Trading down continuously is part of the reason we are in this mess. We need studs, not practice squad players and projects. I'd rather see us trade up to the second or third round. Let someone else have all of our fourth round picks. We need guys that can play immediately.

i'm with you - keep 14 or trade back just a little...then trade up with all the other picks...we need quality picks this draft....

the saints only have three picks in 2021 and they're way over the cap - an even value chart trade would be the ravens 3rd/bills&bears 4th/steelers 5th - for their 28th pick in the 2nd round....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 2/25/2021 12:54:35 PM >

Post #: 417
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 1:10:58 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i'm with you - keep 14 or trade back just a little...then trade up with all the other picks...we need quality picks this draft....

the saints only have three picks in 2021 and they're way over the cap - an even value chart trade would be the ravens 3rd/bills&bears 4th/steelers 5th - for their 28th pick in the 2nd round....

I like that trade idea quite a bit.
Post #: 418
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 6:13:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Let's say you are Rick Spielman and you are determined to trade back with the first pick with the intention of acquiring a second round pick.

Which players remaining on the board at #14 would you cancel that plan? I imagine they would have to be on the top ten of your board.

I looked at Daneil Jeremiah's big board. I figure he's forgotten more than I ever knew and he's studied these players more than any of us. I'm going to say I would definitely take any of the players 5-10 on his list. Anyone else and I would take a fair offer to trade back. What do you think?

Post #: 419
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/25/2021 9:07:14 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Brilliant. I still want Spielman to also trade lower round picks for higher next year. IE take the Waynes comp pick in the 4th and trade it for someone's 3rd next - hopefully a contender.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 420
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/26/2021 7:44:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Let's say you are Rick Spielman and you are determined to trade back with the first pick with the intention of acquiring a second round pick.

Which players remaining on the board at #14 would you cancel that plan? I imagine they would have to be on the top ten of your board.

I looked at Daneil Jeremiah's big board. I figure he's forgotten more than I ever knew and he's studied these players more than any of us. I'm going to say I would definitely take any of the players 5-10 on his list. Anyone else and I would take a fair offer to trade back. What do you think?

what I found interesting is where he has the top 3T's ranked

28. Levi Onwuzurike
41. Christian Barmore
45. Daviyon Nixon

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 421
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/26/2021 7:49:37 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

28. Levi Onwuzurike
41. Christian Barmore
45. Daviyon Nixon

maybe trade back...a couple of times....

Post #: 422
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/26/2021 7:55:51 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

28. Levi Onwuzurike
41. Christian Barmore
45. Daviyon Nixon

maybe trade back...a couple of times....

I think so. He has a lot of edge guys going before the DT's which usually the case.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 423
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/26/2021 11:59:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

28. Levi Onwuzurike
41. Christian Barmore
45. Daviyon Nixon

He didn't seem to rate the Wolverine edge rusher very high either. The thing about Kwity Paye is that he might be able to move inside on third downs.

I feel overwhelmed, right now. There are about six to eight players that I would be very happy with that could be available. I don't know which ones will still be on the board, though.

Post #: 424
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/26/2021 12:57:56 PM   
bohumm

For all of the drama and angst about Spielman's obsessive trading back, it's definitely possible that this is the year to do just that. It's also possible that staying at 14 and creating possibilities by filling holes (gaping and otherwise) will allow us to get a top 5-10 player at 14, or even earlier with a slight trade-up. Having no viable starters at a given position is how you end up with Troy Williamson or Garrett Bradbury (whom I wanted because we lacked an IOL starter) when better players are available...not to mention better players at their positions being taken much later.

Don't go into the draft with positions so bereft that there is no choice but to take a given player/position.
Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode