Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 9:13:40 AM   
Brad H

Okay, the simulator has some serious flaws. It also shows you just how much that QB is important to football guys.

I just drafted the top available quarterback with every single pick. When I ran out of quarterbacks, I traded the last three picks to San Francisco for a fourth rounder next year. Check out these results. Things just got tough for Cousins.

Draft Grade: A

Beat that draft, bstinger! My first five picks were all graded A+. Ranks right up there with my Bohringer prediction.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/19/2021 9:30:48 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 351
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 9:46:15 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Okay, the simulator has some serious flaws. It also shows you just how much that QB is important to football guys.

I just drafted the top available quarterback with every single pick. When I ran out of quarterbacks, I traded the last three picks to San Francisco for a fourth rounder next year. Check out these results. Things just got tough for Cousins.

Beat that draft, bstinger! My first five picks were all graded A+. Ranks right up there with my Bohringer prediction.

Thumbnail Image

Good luck winning a football game with that team.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 352
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 9:48:37 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Good luck winning a football game with that team.

According to PFF, I just had the greatest draft ever. Just goes to show you how much credibility PFF deserves. I cracked their code.

Billy Beane has nothing on me.

Post #: 353
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 1:50:37 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

The Vikings could make it work by trading with the Jax who currently have the top picks in rounds 2 and 3.

The last few years it seems that teams haven't been able to get a big haul for those 1st of the day picks. They have just made the selection.

You should be able to get two second rounders for the 1st pick in round two and two 4th rounders for the 1st pick in round 4. That means 1 first round pick, two second round picks, their two current 3rd round picks (5 of the top 100) and then two 4th round picks.

Most of the projections that I have seen have the two Miami DEs ahead of Kwitty Paye, to I think he could still be there at 21.

Z
Post #: 354
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 2:29:19 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Vikings could make it work by trading with the Jax who currently have the top picks in rounds 2 and 3.

The last few years it seems that teams haven't been able to get a big haul for those 1st of the day picks. They have just made the selection.

You should be able to get two second rounders for the 1st pick in round two and two 4th rounders for the 1st pick in round 4. That means 1 first round pick, two second round picks, their two current 3rd round picks (5 of the top 100) and then two 4th round picks.

Most of the projections that I have seen have the two Miami DEs ahead of Kwitty Paye, to I think he could still be there at 21.

I don't think that #33 pick has been traded in the last 5 years. That could change if 1 or 2 standout players aren't selected in 1st round. Then you could have a bidding war.
Post #: 355
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 3:59:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Odighizuwa, Nixon or Onwuzurike? Who do you like better? Where do you think they will go? I bet the Vikings are discussing that. They are not going to go at #14, but those three are like the second, third and fourth best 3 techs. Odighizuwa strikes me as being a bit of an Aaron Donald. A bit undersized, but super strong for his size. If you want size, Nixon is the biggest, but he's an athlete. Onwuzurike took this past year off for Covid. He might be the unpolished gem who becomes the best of the three. I have a hunch that the Vikings will select one of these three guys, unless they go for Barmore in the first. Barmore played at a bigger stage, but the other three could be just as good as a Pro. I'm thinking that if I'm Speilman, I'm nervous that all of these players will be gone by the third round. One strategy would be to trade back from #14 and make sure you get one. Earlier I identified 3 tech as the biggest need of the team. We have to see what happens in free agency yet, but that's my opinion. Edge rushers are boom or bust. That would be a close second for me for position of need, but if I'm Spielman I'm nervous to use my expensive chip (#14) for a player that could be a star or a bust. I have a coach that has shown an ability to identify and develop hidden gems. Has Spielman ever drafted a defensive lineman in the first round?

I don't like mock drafts. I like these kind of questions better.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 356
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 4:06:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Here's a list of profiles of the top edge rushers. It's a pretty lengthy list. Again, if I'm the Vikings, I would rather have two high second round picks than #14 and #79.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-meet-the-intriguing-edge-rusher-class-from-kwity-paye-to-patrick-jones-and-more/

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 357
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 4:12:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I just caught part of the Football Feast on KFAN this morning. (Paul Allen and Paul Charchian) Allen said that it's his intel that while last year was a super draft for wide receivers, this one is really deep for safeties. I say good. Let's draft at least two of them. There may be seven safeties taken between the second and third rounds. They won't all go in the second.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/first-take-top-safeties-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021S.php

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/19/2021 4:21:06 PM >

Post #: 358
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 6:17:32 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

That's the 2nd time you've whined about mock drafts since people starting playing with that mock draft app.

You don't like mock drafts yet you linked or referenced 4 or 5 mocks from your twitter buddies in the 1st 12 pages of this thread.
Post #: 359
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:01:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think that #33 pick has been traded in the last 5 years. That could change if 1 or 2 standout players aren't selected in 1st round. Then you could have a bidding war.

Maybe it's best to secure #33 before it is clear that 1 or 2 standouts will be available then.

Of course, then they won't be.
Post #: 360
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 6:42:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Would you support this choice with our first round pick? He seems to be a bit like Cousins to me and he likely will be available. Another team may want to trade up to our pick in order to get him. On the other hand, the Patriots may select him just before us.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2021/02/18/mac-jones-2021-nfl-draft-better-than-trevor-lawrence/

Post #: 361
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 6:44:24 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

That's the 2nd time you've whined about mock drafts since people starting playing with that mock draft app.

You don't like mock drafts yet you linked or referenced 4 or 5 mocks from your twitter buddies in the 1st 12 pages of this thread.

Did I? Then I'm bad.

Post #: 362
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 8:26:53 AM   
Brad H

All I know is, I got an A on my draft from PFF. bstinger got nothing better than a B+.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/20/2021 8:29:01 AM >

Post #: 363
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 11:41:11 AM   
Murph

Interesting discussion; Daniel Jeremiah on Purple Daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74IXSgKoC4

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 364
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 2:56:52 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

Very good. This one is 5 days old but gotta love Courtney Cronin in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHugoGtcEo

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 365
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 7:14:50 PM   
Zoilo

The Vikings should trade down in round 1 of the draft from #14 to #21 and take Michigan DE Kwity Paye with the #21 pick and TCU safety Trevon Moehrig with the second round pick they get for trading down seven spots.

Check out the u tube highlights on NDSU QB Trey Lance. He may be the most athletic QB in the draft.

Z
Post #: 366
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 7:37:33 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Cronin says we should trade Cousins to SF for Garrappolo and a 2nd rd pick merely just to free ourselves from the crippling 45ml cap hit in 2022.

Post #: 367
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/20/2021 7:46:18 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cronin says we should trade Cousins to SF for Garrappolo and a 2nd rd pick merely just to free ourselves from the crippling 45ml cap hit in 2022.

It doesn't take an all pro qb to hand the ball to Cook and play action. In her words we're severely paying Cousins to do what a rookie qb could do.

Post #: 368
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 12:18:00 AM   
JT2

quote:

I propose that skill wise we have avg TE's. I think your downgrading them w/o allowing for their blocking assignments taking away from their #'s

Are we the only team in the league that expects the TE's to run block and pitch in on pass protection?

Funny, our OLine still sucks, even when our average TE's are tasked with pass protection duties.

21% of our passes were targeted to our TE's. About the same as Detroit, and they used three QB's this season.

GB targeted their TE's 17% of the time.

How does our TE production compare? Let me guess, our TE's are exceptional blockers, right?

Do you think we have a TE that blocks as well as Marcedes Lewis?

Do you think we have a TE that runs routes, gets separation like Tonyan?

Our best pass catching TE is below average even just in our division.

Our best blocking TE might be average in our division.
Post #: 369
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 5:56:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

I propose that skill wise we have avg TE's. I think your downgrading them w/o allowing for their blocking assignments taking away from their #'s

Are we the only team in the league that expects the TE's to run block and pitch in on pass protection?

Funny, our OLine still sucks, even when our average TE's are tasked with pass protection duties.

21% of our passes were targeted to our TE's. About the same as Detroit, and they used three QB's this season.

How does our TE production compare? Let me guess, our TE's are exceptional blockers, right?

Irv Smith Jr. had fewer targets and receptions in his second year than in his first. I was expecting more from him. However, his yards per reception increased by quite a bit. I do believe he is a willing and able blocker and I am still hopeful that he will get better as he matures. He was still only 22 years old last season.

Some people believe that Kyle Pitts is the second best prospect after Trevor Lawrence. I am saying that if for some reason he was still available at pick #14 then the Vikings should select him as the BPA. Not likely and I wouldn't trade up to get him. Our team has too many needs to sacrifice two of our top picks for a tight end. I wouldn't say right now as it stands that tight end is a "strength" of the team, but I wouldn't say it's a weakness.

Just looking at the other prospects for tight ends, I would say that this draft is not a good draft for tight ends. After Pitts, none would be counted on to be starters in year one. They are all just prospects that hopefully could be developed. That would push the value even higher for Pitts.

Post #: 370
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 8:47:50 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

You have to factor in the scheme and having Rodgers on their team. Clearly better than ours.

IMO, Smith would have pretty solid numbers if he played in GB.

Maybe Klint will spice up our offense a little bit.
Post #: 371
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 8:51:26 AM   
Brad H

We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season. We also had one of the worst offensive lines. What are people talking about drafting this off-season ... a tight end.

After we take a tight end in the first, maybe we should go after the best long-snapper in the second.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/21/2021 9:02:00 AM >

Post #: 372
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 12:04:44 PM   
bohumm

quote:

We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season. We also had one of the worst offensive lines. What are people talking about drafting this off-season ... a tight end.

After we take a tight end in the first, maybe we should go after the best long-snapper in the second.

What guard would be a good pick in the first round? The USC kid who played tackle may be a good guard, according to some. But this is the problem when you leave not just holes but chasms in your roster. There is no good IOL on the roster currently, and when you take out Cleveland, who is actually a tackle, that leaves only Bradbury as a natural IOL. He and Cleveland (and Dozier, for that matter) are decent run blockers in our scheme, but all are horrible pass blockers. Additionally, if it's third- or fourth-and-one, none has any power.

IMO, we have to get two OGs in free agency who can actually operate at least adequately (not necessarily good) in all phases of OL play. If the WR from Jacksonville is really as good as people say and he's affordable, that takes away another hole (in 2021, you have to have three good starter-level WRs just like you need three good starter-level CBs). Now you have the gaping holes at 3-tech and safety to deal with, but you could probably keep Harris relatively cheaply if we haven't alienated him, and maybe you sign a stop-gap like Short for DT.

Now draft BPA with consideration for needs at 14. If that's a TE, and he's really all that, by all means grab that mofo.
Post #: 373
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 12:06:09 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

The problem with that idea is that the cap hit at QB for this year goes up from $31M with Cousins to $35M with Garoppolo.
Post #: 374
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 12:06:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

I'm sticking with the interior offensive line for the Vikings was the worst in NFL history and not even close. There won't be another one as bad for another 10,000 years.

Our defensive line was even worse than that.

So what you say makes sense. It's hard to disagree.

Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode