Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 8:09:12 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Vikings O-line graded out as the worst pass blocking line in football. I apologize. The Vikings defense ranked 30 out of 32 teams, not dead last. And the special teams were only a below average #21. Mea Culpa. Cousins, meanwhile was the #8 QB.

You can't seriously deny that despite putrid play (by any reasonable standard) of these units, that Cousins draws a disproportionate amount of the finger pointing and negative commentary.

100% cousins gets more blame than he should. He’s the QB after all. #8? On his jersey for sure.

Edit - vikes o line was ranked 28. Not last.

Edit again - 28 in pass. 26 overall

Glad to hear somebody finally acknowledge Cousins gets blamed more than he should. On the O-line, your really drawing a distinction without a difference. When you are that magnitude of suck, there isn't a whole lot separating 28 from 32. It really comes down to a handful of pressures over the course of a season. It's still one of the 4 worst pass blocking lines in football.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1026
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 8:45:48 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

So Brady capitalized on the turnovers, and didn't make mistakes in the 1st half to put his team in the hole, and did this on the road against quality opposition, and he did the same thing in the SB, against a team that just won the SB the previous year.

There is NO guarantee Cousins would do that.

Only a fool would say any QB could do that. As none of Brady's throws looked terribly difficult, there are probably some that speculate Trubisky, Carr or Cousins could all havemade those throws, but just watching someone play in the clutch, doesn't make another player suddenly clutch.

Make up your mind on which argument you are trying to push. Or better yet, do some research AND then make a claim. Like Brady made the oline better. Prove it. I can post some stats that back up my argument for the SB. Brady was pressured only 3 times (10%) on plays 2.5 or less while Mahomes was pressure 43% in the same situations. Bucs oline had 33 carries, 145 yards, 4.4 average, 1 TD.

Who guaranteed Cousins could do that?

Who said any QB could do that? You need to work on your reading comprehension.

My original points: 1) I'm all for improving the Vikings QB situation. 2) Cousins, inaccurately imo, is getting all the blame for slow starts when it's multiple things.
3) Bucs had a vastly superior team to the Vikings last year in all phases except 1, the run game which was mitigated or caused by scheme (and as you can see the in the SB, ran it pretty effectively). And that the Bucs lifted Brady not the other way around.

1) Ofcourse, nobody should dispute that.

2) Pretty much true.

3) Certainly, the Bucs were a superior team to the Vikings ... vastly on defense, OL and TE. And coaching.

To say that the Bucs would have won big game after big game, from getting the #5 seed in-season as an 11-5 above-average-but-not-really-good-team through winning the SB ... without a Big Game QB, is a feeble argument. That's not what happened in 2020.

Sure, the rest of the team absolutely rose to the occasion, and the Chiefs were not the same team that beat the Bucs during the season.

But 2020 ended with a proven big game player making reads, decisions, throws one necessary play after another, one big game after another.

Cousins is a good QB with a great arm. He has yet to prove he is a big game player in any sense of the term.

Calling the Bucs an above average but not really good team, is a feeble argument. And no Brady did not make one necessary play after another. NFCCG is absolutely proof of that. Brady choked. 3 second half pics - in a row. One of them Brady chucked it up - floater not even close to his target in a critical spot. Bucs defense and GB bailed Brady out.

As Brad pointed out, they held Mahomes and the Chiefs to 3 field goals.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1027
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 8:52:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Kyle Rudolph's career passer rating when targeted is 112.5 -- behind Gronk (127.5) and Kelce (120.6), but ahead of almost every other TE of the past decade: Kittle, Graham, Witten, Cook, Reed, Walker, Ertz, Davis, Hooper, Higbee, Waller, Gates, Goedert, Olsen, Bennett, Clay, etc

Krauser on Twitter

We all know he was an elite pass catcher. The problem was he would go down after the catch. No YAC.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1028
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 9:53:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

I don't even like Brady but theorize he elevated that whole TB team, just like he did with NE. He was probably a positive influence in the two weeks before the SB, and had the ultimate "been there, done that" stamp. And when it counted, in the big game, he delivered.

The comparison between stat-boy Cousins and Brady is laughable.
Post #: 1029
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 9:54:26 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Hell of a lot classier than they treated Antoine Winfield Sr that’s for sure

What happened? I must have missed something.

35 years old. Played here 9 years(two nice contracts). Asked him to take pay cut. Cut him. Tried to resign him for less.

Then, more or less, he retired after that.

As I recall, we were willing to pay Winfield around $3M to stay. He decided to sign with Seattle for damn near league minimum. Then they cut him in preseason.

They cut him one hour before free agency started - after the legal tampering window. Winfield's camp maintains that there was no offer for a paycut and that they were expecting business as usual. They pulled him out of his workout at Winter Park to tell him. He was coming off one of his best seasons in his career.

Don't you think that maybe Winfield played hardball and lost. I find it hard to believe that we didn't offer him a chance at a reduced rate.

I wish there would have been some direct quotes from Winfield in your articles. Just an NFL source speaking for Winfield camp.

Not saying it is right. He had a good season and we went to playoffs. Probably thought it was a slap in the face to take a pay cut. And rightfully so.
Post #: 1030
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:00:52 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

I don't even like Brady but theorize he elevated that whole TB team, just like he did with NE. He was probably a positive influence in the two weeks before the SB, and had the ultimate "been there, done that" stamp. And when it counted, in the big game, he delivered.

Almost as laughable as the belief that Brady could have taken the Vikings to the Superbowl.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1031
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:02:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

I liked Culpepper a lot and thought he gave his all every game, but the board had the same points about Culpepper as it does with Cousins: he can't possibly fulfill his potential and lead us to the SB unless EVERY component of the team is top notch. Right guard injured a couple of games? Sorry, but that affected Daunte and no way should we expect him to rise above that. It has been shown that the OL does give time for Cousins to throw. Problem is he is a statue, he holds the ball too long, and has the worst combination of pocket presence and happy feet a QB could have. But yeah, go enjoy those stats.

Cousins is the Adrian Peterson of QBs. He piles up the yards but is damn well useless in other phases of the game. And he sucks up the cap space like there is no tomorrow.
Post #: 1032
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:05:09 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Almost as laughable as the belief that Brady could have taken the Vikings to the Superbowl.

I don't know who said that, but I would have wagered he would have got the Vikings to the playoffs and win one playoff game.

Please continue, but don't stop with the comparisons to Brady. Maybe throw in how wonderful Cousins stacks up against Montana and other greats.
Post #: 1033
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:09:04 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Hell of a lot classier than they treated Antoine Winfield Sr that’s for sure

What happened? I must have missed something.

35 years old. Played here 9 years(two nice contracts). Asked him to take pay cut. Cut him. Tried to resign him for less.

Then, more or less, he retired after that.

As I recall, we were willing to pay Winfield around $3M to stay. He decided to sign with Seattle for damn near league minimum. Then they cut him in preseason.

They cut him one hour before free agency started - after the legal tampering window. Winfield's camp maintains that there was no offer for a paycut and that they were expecting business as usual. They pulled him out of his workout at Winter Park to tell him. He was coming off one of his best seasons in his career.

Don't you think that maybe Winfield played hardball and lost. I find it hard to believe that we didn't offer him a chance at a reduced rate.

I wish there would have been some direct quotes from Winfield in your articles. Just an NFL source speaking for Winfield camp.

Not saying it is right. He had a good season and we went to playoffs. Probably thought it was a slap in the face to take a pay cut. And rightfully so.

This. A pay cut is always a slap in the face. But it's also business in the NFL.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 3/3/2021 10:10:48 AM >
Post #: 1034
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:10:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Would he have brought the decimated 2020 Vikings to the SB? Probably not.

Would he have brought the 2015, 2017 or 2019 Vikings to the SB? I wouldn't bet against it.
Post #: 1035
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:12:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know who said that, but I would have wagered he would have got the Vikings to the playoffs and win one playoff game.

Please continue, but don't stop with the comparisons to Brady. Maybe throw in how wonderful Cousins stacks up against Montana and other greats.

You're the one who made the Brady to Cousins comparison, not me Bill. I have pointed out multiple times how ridiculous it is that Cousins comparisons are always to the GOAT.

Post #: 1036
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:26:39 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're the one who made the Brady to Cousins comparison, not me Bill. I have pointed out multiple times how ridiculous it is that Cousins comparisons are always to the GOAT.

My biggest comparison of Cousins is Jared Goff. Both are absolutely clueless when it matters, both are radically overpaid, they can't scramble and neither has the respect of the rest of the team. Neither can run a two-minute offense, they both fumble and have zero pocket presence.

Other than that, both have sensational agents that have managed to get them paid 2-3 times as much as they deserve.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/3/2021 10:32:34 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1037
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:39:17 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, I was referencing existing posts about the comparison.
Post #: 1038
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:39:31 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My biggest comparison of Cousins is Jared Goff. Both are absolutely clueless when it matters, both are radically overpaid, they can't scramble and neither has the respect of the rest of the team. Neither can run a two-minute offense, they both fumble and have zero pocket presence.

There is no comparison between Cousins and Goff. Cousins threw for more yards, 15 more TD, was 15 points higher in QBR. All while operating behind the 4th worst rated pass protection in football.

Post #: 1039
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:40:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which were not mine, so don't try to pin it on me.

Post #: 1040
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:40:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Other than that, both have sensational agents that have managed to get them paid 2-3 times as much as they deserve.

Their contracts are very similar as well.
Post #: 1041
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:43:39 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You, as normal, decided to reply to me so suck it up.
Post #: 1042
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 10:52:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, clearly my fault. I should know better to respond to you for stating that I said something that I didn't.

Carry on, I won't correct you anymore.

Post #: 1043
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:06:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

So Brady capitalized on the turnovers, and didn't make mistakes in the 1st half to put his team in the hole, and did this on the road against quality opposition, and he did the same thing in the SB, against a team that just won the SB the previous year.

There is NO guarantee Cousins would do that.

Only a fool would say any QB could do that. As none of Brady's throws looked terribly difficult, there are probably some that speculate Trubisky, Carr or Cousins could all havemade those throws, but just watching someone play in the clutch, doesn't make another player suddenly clutch.

Make up your mind on which argument you are trying to push. Or better yet, do some research AND then make a claim. Like Brady made the oline better. Prove it. I can post some stats that back up my argument for the SB. Brady was pressured only 3 times (10%) on plays 2.5 or less while Mahomes was pressure 43% in the same situations. Bucs oline had 33 carries, 145 yards, 4.4 average, 1 TD.

Who guaranteed Cousins could do that?

Who said any QB could do that? You need to work on your reading comprehension.

My original points: 1) I'm all for improving the Vikings QB situation. 2) Cousins, inaccurately imo, is getting all the blame for slow starts when it's multiple things.
3) Bucs had a vastly superior team to the Vikings last year in all phases except 1, the run game which was mitigated or caused by scheme (and as you can see the in the SB, ran it pretty effectively). And that the Bucs lifted Brady not the other way around.

1) Ofcourse, nobody should dispute that.

2) Pretty much true.

3) Certainly, the Bucs were a superior team to the Vikings ... vastly on defense, OL and TE. And coaching.

To say that the Bucs would have won big game after big game, from getting the #5 seed in-season as an 11-5 above-average-but-not-really-good-team through winning the SB ... without a Big Game QB, is a feeble argument. That's not what happened in 2020.

Sure, the rest of the team absolutely rose to the occasion, and the Chiefs were not the same team that beat the Bucs during the season.

But 2020 ended with a proven big game player making reads, decisions, throws one necessary play after another, one big game after another.

Cousins is a good QB with a great arm. He has yet to prove he is a big game player in any sense of the term.

Calling the Bucs an above average but not really good team, is a feeble argument. And no Brady did not make one necessary play after another. NFCCG is absolutely proof of that. Brady choked. 3 second half pics - in a row. One of them Brady chucked it up - floater not even close to his target in a critical spot. Bucs defense and GB bailed Brady out.

As Brad pointed out, they held Mahomes and the Chiefs to 3 field goals.

I apologize for the long-ass answer.

Going into the playoffs, anybody not involved in this debate would say the Chiefs, Packers, Saints and Bills were better teams ... easily. The next rung being the Bucs and 5 or 6 other 11-5 teams (Titans, Ravens, Browns, Colts, Seahawks ...) with the struggling Steelers, Rams?, WASH and Bears on the lowest playoff rung.

We can quibble over above average / good / very good ... IMO the Bucs were somewhere in the middle of the pack ...

Yes – you are right ... Brady did not play well in the NFCCG (although he threw 2 TDs which helped). The Bucs defense completely bailed out Brady and won that game ... the Bucs run game was actually the second biggest contributor with some huge gaffes by the packers as probably the third.

When I say 'play after play', it's a mis-statement because it implies 'every necessary play' which is impossible. Maybe 'do enough to win', I dunno, obviously I'm not talking about every game or making the necessary play in every situation – no player has ever done that.

I am not really a Brady fan, never have been. I do grudgingly admit that he somehow consistently finds ways to win in spite of his physical limitations. I used to hate that with the Pats ... for some reason, it entertained me this past season.

As far as the SB – you cannot have it both ways and argue that our stupid OL is holding Cousins back from 'winner' status but that the Bucs Def were great by stuffing Mahomes regardless of his lousy OL (Not to mention playing through injury). The Bucs defense is good but not near the SB's Ravens or Bears level – Brady was a critical factor and, yes, came through in some clutch moments. (not play after play which was a silly exaggeration).

To get back to the original point, Cousins has not done enough in his career with what he has – to be considered a QB that rises to the occasion / plays well in big moments / comes through under pressure (however you want to word it). That's not comparing him to Brady or anyone else ... that is just his trajectory as a QB so far. I honestly hope he gets past that and proves otherwise.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/3/2021 11:07:42 AM >
Post #: 1044
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:12:40 AM   
Pager

quote:

I liked Culpepper a lot and thought he gave his all every game, but the board had the same points about Culpepper as it does with Cousins: he can't possibly fulfill his potential and lead us to the SB unless EVERY component of the team is top notch. Right guard injured a couple of games? Sorry, but that affected Daunte and no way should we expect him to rise above that. It has been shown that the OL does give time for Cousins to throw. Problem is he is a statue, he holds the ball too long, and has the worst combination of pocket presence and happy feet a QB could have. But yeah, go enjoy those stats.

Cousins is the Adrian Peterson of QBs. He piles up the yards but is damn well useless in other phases of the game. And he sucks up the cap space like there is no tomorrow.

The stats show that in drop back situations for 2018 and 2019 Cousins was league average. I don't know if he is holding onto the ball long, not moving through his reads fast enough because I don't know the play design and what the primary, secondary reads are. I also don't know if he's deteriorated in those areas since becoming a Viking. When McVay and Shanahan coached him, as I've posted before, they thought highly of him because they considered those strengths for him. And when your interior line is the worst in history it does impact QB play, that's not an excuse, just a fact.

No doubt the extension was a terrible decision, and his cap hits are debilitating the next two years. And upgrading the position is something we should absolutely pursue. I don't enjoy his stats? But I guess any defense of him makes me pro-cousins.

Post #: 1045
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:13:52 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is no comparison between Cousins and Goff. Cousins threw for more yards, 15 more TD, was 15 points higher in QBR. All while operating behind the 4th worst rated pass protection in football.

Tons of comparisons can be made between the two. It isn't all about the numbers. In fact, I'd say the numbers are about the least relevant part of the equation.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/3/2021 11:14:53 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1046
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:15:39 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Would he have brought the decimated 2020 Vikings to the SB? Probably not.

Would he have brought the 2015, 2017 or 2019 Vikings to the SB? I wouldn't bet against it.

Prime Brady is the GOAT in my opinion and could have probably won several SBs with the Vikings. No argument here. 2020 Brady, in my opinion, is not at that level and I think several QBs could have succeeded with that supporting cast and coaching.

Post #: 1047
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:17:04 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tons of comparisons can be made between the two. It isn't all about the numbers. In fact, I'd say the numbers are about the least relevant part of the equation.

Goff was part of a SB team with great coaching, one of the best olines in the league that year, Gurley, and a good defense.

Post #: 1048
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:19:17 AM   
TJSweens

If it's a contest between the statistics that measure performance and a Brad H. eye test, I will go with the stats every time.

Post #: 1049
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/3/2021 11:20:42 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, clearly my fault. I should know better to respond to you for stating that I said something that I didn't.

Carry on, I won't correct you anymore.

You haven't corrected me. Try to post an original thought rather than erroneously piggybacking.

And why are you worked up over my original post, which had nothing to do with you? Guilty conscience I guess.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/3/2021 11:28:13 AM >
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode