Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 12:32:39 AM   
marty

While it's nice to expect lots of production from the TE spot, the TE can also be more of a problem for defenses if you have more weapons.

It would be nice to have a 3rd WR that teams sleep on, like WR Aldrick Robinson was for the Vikes, a nice sleeper deep threat.

While I prefer a 3rd WR with great hands [Chris Walsh] the Vikes have great hands with Jefferson and Theilen, it would be nice to add another target with speed or quickness that would give defenses more trouble.

While Antonio Brown would be great for his work ethic and leadership, there must be another WR talent out there at a more reasonable price. Theilen already provides that leadership.

A solid 3rd WR would be good for depth.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 426
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 1:43:16 AM   
Todd M

I think WR3 is the least of our worries. We already have or can plug in a 7th rounder/urfa or can pick one up this year easy enough. No matter who it is they'll be pressed to produce more than 350 yards and 3TD's.
Post #: 427
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 5:35:05 AM   
ratoppenheimer

what about these guys at vet minimum?....

jayron kearse
andrew sendejo

does anyone know why kearse was cut by the lions on dec, 28th - a few days before they played us in the final game of the season?....

more: i just read that kearse left the hotel without permission and was late for 'bed check' while in tampa the 2nd to last game of the season....

kearse:
dui - possession on a firearm without permit
suspended three games 2020
left hotel - bed check

if the guy cleaned up his act he could probably make another $5m before he turns thirty....

i think we should bring him in and have a talk with him - maybe give him a last chance to make it work....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 3/17/2021 5:49:49 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 428
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 7:21:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

I like the Tomlinson signing but it sure gives the first day or two of this offseason the same flavor as last offseason. (Well, except for the Diggs trade and WR hole)

(Last offseason March moves in parenthesis)

Re-sign Hill (Hill)

Sign solid IDL Tomlinson (Pierce)

Sign LB Vigil (Gates) ...

Let go of TE Rudy (Morgan)

We also re-signed Dozier and Abdullah last offseason. (I assume Boone and another Dozier type shortly)

Eerie.

Hopefully we are just getting started ... last offseason, that was it before the draft.

I am more excited this year Tom. Weatherly Back (which you haven't included). Wonnum, Willekes, Brailford and a way younger defense...also the young CBs will have a year more of experience. I think we will be sitting better on that side of the ball already before the draft. Just need to figure out Safety.

Weatherly is a good catch, I spaced it.

2020 was 7-9. We had good offensive production and the defense is already better on paper, so there's reason to be hopeful.

However, Weatherly and the young players you mentioned do nothing for me in terms of improving on last year. It's possible but right now that is simply hopefulness ... the same as Samia and Udoh the year before, that people in here were touting.

G, DE, S clearly need attention. CB, WR could use some as well. The draft can answer two of those in the first 2 rounds, maybe the third rd if we're lucky.

There's still alot of work to do.

I think that after restructuring Thielen and Smith and after Stephen release a couple of those will fill......I see Ant Harris/Keenan Cole and a OG. I am hoping more of Curtis Samuel then Keenan as the WR prices and safety prices are dropping.

IMO, no reason to go after a No. 3 wide receiver. Irv Smith is going to be your No. 2 or No. 3 receiver next year. I'd be stunned if he didn't finish with 75+ receptions.

The price on WR is dropping...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 429
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 7:30:58 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I think WR3 is the least of our worries. We already have or can plug in a 7th rounder/urfa or can pick one up this year easy enough. No matter who it is they'll be pressed to produce more than 350 yards and 3TD's.

Agreed. The only kind of guy I would go after would be a Cole Beasley type of guy that can move the chains on third and five or something like that. Injuries happen in football and wide receivers get hurt a lot. Our depth at the position is a bit of a concern, but I'd rather spend the money helping out the defense a bit to give us a chance to win a few more games. The bulk of the focus this offseason has to be rebuilding the defense and adding an offensive lineman or three.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 430
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 8:29:35 AM   
marty

We can do both, depth at WR can be important, and it's good to have a solid #3 when you have an immobile QB.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 431
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 8:33:46 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

We can do both, depth at WR can be important, and it's good to have a solid #3 when you have an immobile QB.

In any good offense in the NFL, the No. 3 wide receiver is the No. 5 option.

Post #: 432
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:03:01 AM   
bstinger

We need to improve our WR depth. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it, but I would spend a draft pick or two.

I'd like to see us get a small quick guy and a big tall guy. Both could be used to produce mismatch problems, which is the name of the game.

Small quick guy could be used for gadget plays like reverses and jet sweeps, while razing havoc from the slot. While researching the a little back when I was doing the mock drafts two guys peaked my interest. Jaelon Darden, ranked #87 by PFF and Tutu Atwell ranked #114. Both are 5'9" and reportedly very quick. If they are drafted somewhere around their ranking we could get Darden with a slight move up from 90 or Atwell with a slight move up from 119. I think either one would be a marked improvement over Bebe.

There are a few tall receivers to look at also. #137 Simi Fehoko from Standford, #144 Nico Collins Michigan are both 6'4". At #203 Warren Jackson from Colorado State and #257 T. J. Vasher from Texas Tech are both 6'6".

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 433
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:08:56 AM   
Mark Anderson

Lions traded for DT Brockers.

Nice pickup for them.
Post #: 434
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:42:47 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

If WR1 or WR2 gets injured, Chad Beebe or his ilk is your WR2. No good offense has that feature.
Post #: 435
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:52:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

If WR1 or WR2 gets injured, Chad Beebe or his ilk is your WR2. No good offense has that feature.

I would really love Curtis Samuel....multiple use guy. Could use him like David Palmer on 3rd downs in some sets---upgrade over abdullah as he plays two spots RB/WR.

Post #: 436
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:53:28 AM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Agreed. The only kind of guy I would go after would be a Cole Beasley type of guy that can move the chains on third and five or something like that. Injuries happen in football and wide receivers get hurt a lot. Our depth at the position is a bit of a concern, but I'd rather spend the money helping out the defense a bit to give us a chance to win a few more games. The bulk of the focus this offseason has to be rebuilding the defense and adding an offensive lineman or three.

Cole Beasley's cap hit is $7.4 million, so you're saying you want to take up most of the remaining room for a WR3?
Post #: 437
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:55:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cole Beasley's cap hit is $7.4 million, so you're saying you want to take up most of the remaining room for a WR3?

I think they are going to create more room for an OG (Thielen/Smith restructures) but I would spend almost that on Samuel.

Post #: 438
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 9:57:37 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would really love Curtis Samuel....multiple use guy. Could use him like David Palmer on 3rd downs in some sets---upgrade over abdullah as he plays two spots RB/WR.

Abdullah has actually grown on me. Seems like Ds don't pay much attention to him, but he is a real weapon when Ds are keying on our main guys.
Post #: 439
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:06:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Abdullah has actually grown on me. Seems like Ds don't pay much attention to him, but he is a real weapon when Ds are keying on our main guys.

I do like Abdullah but you can use Samuel at both spots and fill the WR3.

Post #: 440
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:10:36 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cole Beasley (TYPE) guy is what I said. I didn't say Cole Beasley.

And like I said earlier, I wouldn't be spending anything in free agency on a wide receiver. With minimal money remaining, we've got other pressing needs ... like not giving up nearly 30 points-per-game.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/17/2021 10:15:39 AM >

Post #: 441
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:30:49 AM   
Mark Anderson

According to Dan Patrick, Bears offered SEA three 1sts, a third and two starters for Wilson.
Post #: 442
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:36:25 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

According to Dan Patrick, Bears offered SEA three 1sts, a third and two starters for Wilson.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 443
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:39:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Seattle is stupid for not taking that one.

Post #: 444
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 10:40:36 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

We need to improve our WR depth. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it, but I would spend a draft pick or two.

I'd like to see us get a small quick guy and a big tall guy. Both could be used to produce mismatch problems, which is the name of the game.

Small quick guy could be used for gadget plays like reverses and jet sweeps, while razing havoc from the slot. While researching the a little back when I was doing the mock drafts two guys peaked my interest. Jaelon Darden, ranked #87 by PFF and Tutu Atwell ranked #114. Both are 5'9" and reportedly very quick. If they are drafted somewhere around their ranking we could get Darden with a slight move up from 90 or Atwell with a slight move up from 119. I think either one would be a marked improvement over Bebe.

There are a few tall receivers to look at also. #137 Simi Fehoko from Standford, #144 Nico Collins Michigan are both 6'4". At #203 Warren Jackson from Colorado State and #257 T. J. Vasher from Texas Tech are both 6'6".

Exactly. A mid-rounder or two, raw with speed and hands. Learn route running from Thielan and JJ. Thielan is long in the tooth and getting someone that could grow from 3rd WR to a #1/#2 over the next few seasons would be ideal.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 445
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 11:07:55 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

IDK - 20th overall this year. The equivalent to a 2nd next yr and a 3rd the year after. Defense will still be good enough plus Wilson for probably mid to late rounders next year and the year after. If they are high on Darnold, believe he is the QBOTF, and JETS asking price is low then it might be worth it. Also depending on the starters (studs under rookie contracts sure). But if Darnold doesn't become that, then it's not worth it IMO.

I'm not trading away a future hall of famer in his prime under a reasonable contract for just about anything.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 446
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 11:22:50 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

IDK - 20th overall this year. The equivalent to a 2nd next yr and a 3rd the year after. Defense will still be good enough plus Wilson for probably mid to late rounders next year and the year after. If they are high on Darnold, believe he is the QBOTF, and JETS asking price is low then it might be worth it. Also depending on the starters (studs under rookie contracts sure). But if Darnold doesn't become that, then it's not worth it IMO.

I'm not trading away a future hall of famer in his prime under a reasonable contract for just about anything.

Look at their roster for this year and next....Wilson is peeking at the talent on the team and that is leading him to go somewhere else.

Post #: 447
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 11:33:41 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And like I said earlier, I wouldn't be spending anything in free agency on a wide receiver. With minimal money remaining, we've got other pressing needs ... like not giving up nearly 30 points-per-game.

Unfortunately, Chad Beebe is our Beasley-Samuel chain mover. He'll get a one yr min. contract which will have no impact on the financial decisions being made. We'll draft a 4-7 rd WR (or two) and sign some undrafted guys with guarantees of Theilen-like careers.

We cannot spend a meaningful dollar at WR. We can target a decent WR and other depth / rotational concerns next offseason because we took care of business this offseason.

I don't know how they will pull it off but G(s), S, DE all need starting caliber players. CB is still a big concern also ... we might have solid players with another season or two of development (might not) but this year will just be ok again unless we add a dependable vet or luck out in the draft.

Improvement over last year gets us to 8-8 or 9-7. There's a ton of work to do to get us better than that (on paper).
Post #: 448
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 11:44:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, Chad Beebe is our Beasley-Samuel chain mover. He'll get a one yr min. contract which will have no impact on the financial decisions being made. We'll draft a 4-7 rd WR (or two) and sign some undrafted guys with guarantees of Theilen-like careers.

We cannot spend a meaningful dollar at WR. We can target a decent WR and other depth / rotational concerns next offseason because we took care of business this offseason.

I don't know how they will pull it off but G(s), S, DE all need starting caliber players. CB is still a big concern also ... we might have solid players with another season or two of development (might not) but this year will just be ok again unless we add a dependable vet or luck out in the draft.

Improvement over last year gets us to 8-8 or 9-7. There's a ton of work to do to get us better than that (on paper).

The price is dropping and I think a Cole could be in the works....

Post #: 449
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/17/2021 11:46:27 AM   
The Happy Norseman

Spielman never ceases to disappoint in FA, but being a glutton for punishment I was just checking out PFF's best available free agents list and their prediction as to what each player will get paid. 5 mid-tier players stood out:

Keanu Neal (S) - 2 yr, $10mil
Mackenzie Alexander - 2 yr, $6 mil
Gabe Jackson (G) - 2 yr, $10mil

total - $13mil per year

Keelan Cole (WR) - 2 yr, $11mil
Carlos Dunlap (DE) - 1 yr, $9mil

total - $14mil per year

PFF is just making an educated guess, but it look like $12mil could secure 2 or 3 of these players. Just sayin'....

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode