Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 5:49:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

What's worse is, they may bench Cleveland and use Udoh at LG because he has the better measurables or caloric intake or something for a LG.

Damn I was going to wrap Udoh into a significant role but couldn't think of something outrageous yet believable with this regime. You are hitting on all cylinders.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/24/2021 6:04:55 PM >
Post #: 776
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 5:54:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

I agree, many seem to assume Cleveland is out LT of the future and I'm not sure where that vote of confidence is coming from. Playing LT in college doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL.

He hasn't shown me anything all that great just yet. I'm not sure if he's the future LT, current guard, or future backup versatile lineman.
I do know that if Penei Sewell lasts until 9 we better go get him. I don't give a crap where Cleveland fits in.

But I'd be shocked to see him available at 9

The vote of confidence is inherent in being a second round pick.

As for Cleveland not showing you anything "all that great just yet", go back a week and pretend you are Sweeney. Read the parts where Cleveland was playing a position he isn't built for nor played at.
Post #: 777
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 5:54:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

I agree, many seem to assume Cleveland is out LT of the future and I'm not sure where that vote of confidence is coming from. Playing LT in college doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL.

He hasn't shown me anything all that great just yet. I'm not sure if he's the future LT, current guard, or future backup versatile lineman.
I do know that if Penei Sewell lasts until 9 we better go get him. I don't give a crap where Cleveland fits in.

But I'd be shocked to see him available at 9

Playing LT in college doesn't mean a whole lot in the NFL.

Nice.
Post #: 778
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 6:03:03 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So any decent OL at any position signed traded or drafted will fit perfectly into our 'grand design'.

Right. If Cleveland moves to LT, the next G we sign or draft is going to immediately be penciled in as a starter. Maybe the next TWO guards. No battling it out in camp. No nothing. That's how bad things are.

As usual, Spielman is approaching the Oline with a wing and a prayer. That said, it seems like there's a "smart" way to approach the problem, namely, sign Eric Fisher to a 1 yr deal at LT, then draft Alijah Vera-Tucker at 14 and Ben Cleveland in the 3rd. If Fisher is fully recovered from his injury, then we're set at LT. We're also set at LG with AVT and Ben Cleveland provides quality backup at G. If Fisher isn't 100%, we start AVT at LT and slide Ben Cleveland in at LG. While plan B could go south as starting 2 rookies is a big risk, at least we'd still have the possibility of competing. Conversely, if plan A works out, we could actually field a decent oline and have some depth. Of course, every year folks on this board come up with completely viable options to address the oline, and every year the line is a dumpster fire....

This would be a smart plan. Which is why it wont happen.

Mike Zimmer likes his defensive backs. There is no way one of this top two picks isn't going to be a Safety.

Further, I seriously doubt we will be picking at 14, and we wont be moving up. RS will look to add a 2nd rounder and a handful of 7th rounders by trading down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wilf stepped in and said you better get a second rounder to make up for losing 1+ rounds and a bunch of my money for the Yanny rental fiasco. And oh, if you give away the farm to recoup that second rounder then pack your bags.

Well, one can wish.
Post #: 779
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 8:59:49 PM   
Tom Sykes

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
3h
Turns out the #Vikings did make a contract offer to free-agent guard Nick Easton to return to the team. But that offer made wasn't to the liking of Easton, who played for Minnesota from 2015-18. He is continuing to look around and has visited this week to Houston.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/24/2021 9:01:01 PM >
Post #: 780
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/24/2021 9:20:56 PM   
Tom Sykes

What's more humiliating, that we tried to sign Easton or that he turned us down?

GZUZ sometimes I just want to Thanos Snap my Vikings into oblivion.
Post #: 781
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 8:18:50 AM   
Bill Jandro

Might want to think twice about signing Eric Fisher. I stole this post from another site that sums up what we can expect from Fisher

The key sentence in that article is the following:

"The working theory is that Fisher will be ready by summer, no matter the team he joins."

I'm curious; who's "working theory" is that? A medical professional? Fisher's agent?

Here's a March 2018 article from Healio.com (link) - a medical website - that concluded that although 73% of NFL players returned to the NFL after Achilles tendon repair, they didn't return until an average of 339.8 days after surgery, which is nearly a full year after surgery.

Here's another March 2010 another article from lermagazine (ler standing for lower extremity repair) which concluded that "Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury." (link)

I tried to find a couple of examples of OT's that suffered Achilles tears and see what their recovery time was...one example I found was Eagles OT Jason Peters who suffered a similar injury in March 2012 and he missed the entire 2012 season. I couldn't find another off a quick Google search except for Eagles OG Brandon Brooks who suffered his injury in June 2020 and missed the season, but that was right before Training Camp so that was to be expected.

While I'm sure modern medicine has come along ways from the sources I referenced, I'm not sure Fisher will be ready to go by summer per someone's "working theory"....which means spending 2021 cap dollars for someone who very likely won't be playing in 2021 doesn't make sense, especially a team who think they're "contending" like the Vikings do...

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 782
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 10:09:34 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

What's more humiliating, that we tried to sign Easton or that he turned us down?

GZUZ sometimes I just want to Thanos Snap my Vikings into oblivion.

Especially since this wreaks of a scenario where the Vikings thought Easton had declined to a point where he would be in their price range.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 783
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 1:46:49 PM   
David Levine

WE GOT HIM!!!

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings acquiring Mason Cole, who was Arizona's starting center last season, for a sixth-round pick.

New #Vikings offensive lineman Mason Cole also can play guard. Last year, Pro Football Focus ranked him No. 31 out of 36 NFL centers while Garrett Bradbury was No. 25.
Post #: 784
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:06:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

WE GOT HIM!!!

#Vikings acquiring Mason Cole, who was Arizona's starting center last season, for a sixth-round pick.

New #Vikings offensive lineman Mason Cole also can play guard. Last year, Pro Football Focus ranked him No. 31 out of 36 NFL centers while Garrett Bradbury was No. 25.

"Acquiring? Don't talk about Acquiring! You kidding me? Acquiring?"

For a 6th rd pick?

Infinity stones where are you?
Post #: 785
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:09:16 PM   
Tom Sykes

Well, I did say anyone signed, traded for or drafted.

Just aim for my head now, Thor.
Post #: 786
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:12:12 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

WE GOT HIM!!!

It's starting to look like Rick's goal is to get Cousins killed by midseason.
Post #: 787
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:12:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

Minnesota announced Thursday that it has added Mason Cole to the roster in a deal with Arizona. The Vikings sent a sixth-round pick (No. 223 overall) in the 2021 NFL Draft to the Cardinals in return. The trade is pending a physical exam of Cole.
Cole has played in 46 career games with 32 starts in three seasons since joining the Cardinals as a third-round pick in 2018.
The addition of Cole, who turns 25 on Sunday, provides solid depth along the interior of a Vikings offensive line that has undergone a bit of a makeover this offseason.

Post #: 788
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:15:54 PM   
Bill Jandro

Sounds like another poor IOL player.

Az isn't dumping him because he's good

Post #: 789
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:17:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Backup with starting experience? He was a third round pick, so he might have talent. Scheme fit?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 790
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:18:41 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Minnesota announced Thursday that it has added Mason Cole to the roster in a deal with Arizona. The Vikings sent a sixth-round pick (No. 223 overall) in the 2021 NFL Draft to the Cardinals in return. The trade is pending a physical exam of Cole.
Cole has played in 46 career games with 32 starts in three seasons since joining the Cardinals as a third-round pick in 2018.
The addition of Cole, who turns 25 on Sunday, provides solid depth along the interior of a Vikings offensive line that has undergone a bit of a makeover this offseason.

Not sure how a guy ranked as one of the worst Centers in the league can be called "solid depth". More like "warm body"...

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 791
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:29:48 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Backup with starting experience? He was a third round pick, so he might have talent. Scheme fit?

True, but only if he ends up being a back-up.

Let's be honest, prying a 6th rd pick from Spielman's sweaty grasp probably means Cole is expected to carry the noble mantle of Dozier henceforth.
Post #: 792
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:30:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Not sure how a guy ranked as one of the worst Centers in the league can be called "solid depth". More like "warm body"...

Kind of a Sean Mannion signing. Don't want him to threaten the golden boy Bradbury.

May Cole and Dozier will have a camp battle for LG...woopee

Post #: 793
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:46:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

I don't know a lot about Cole ... its just the visceral reaction of hearing "No. 31 out of 36 NFL centers while Garrett Bradbury was No. 25".

I'm not even a PFF fan but it just smells like more Dozier / Jones sauce ...

Can Spielman really believe that bolstering depth is the only OL path before the draft?
Post #: 794
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 2:58:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

Spielman's next splash oline move will be raiding other teams practice squads.

Post #: 795
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 3:09:45 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

WE GOT HIM!!!

"Acquiring? Don't talk about Acquiring! You kidding me? Acquiring?"

For a 6th rd pick?

Infinity stones where are you?

And with no 7th round picks and only one in the 6th, you know what's coming.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 796
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 3:16:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I don't believe we had a backup center. The pick was our compensatory pick, so it was a borderline 7th rounder. He is a good fit for our scheme. Still on rookie contract, so cheap. Could backup both guard positions, too.

Saying all that, I don't want him to start.

Here's his draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-cole/3200434f-4c15-1246-1bd3-59946ef2215c

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 797
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 3:17:47 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I don't believe we had a backup center. The pick was our compensatory pick, so it was a borderline 7th rounder. He is a good fit for our scheme. Still on rookie contract, so cheap. Could backup both guard positions, too.

Saying all that, I don't want him to start.

Here's his draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mason-cole/3200434f-4c15-1246-1bd3-59946ef2215c

...and nobody wanted Dozier to start. Get used to it.

Post #: 798
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 3:18:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings are holding onto their better 6th round pick for a kicker.

Post #: 799
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/25/2021 3:34:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Mason Cole has two career starts at LG, both in 2019.

- Week 9 against SF: 56 snaps, 68.1 overall grade, 64.3 pass blocking grade, 1 pressure/sack allowed on 33 PB snaps
- Week 10 against TB: 67 snaps, 55.7 overall grade, 80.7 pass blocking grade (!), 1 pressure on 49 PB snaps

Will Ragatz on Twitter

Post #: 800
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode