Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:26:59 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Good article about our new C/G.

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-vikings-news/is-mason-cole-an-answer-at-guard-or-just-another-backup/

Bottomline: We have signed a below average C ‘square’ to fit into a G ‘circle’. It’s what we do.

Does anybody doubt that Spielman smashed all his toys as a toddler? (or that Zimmer ate too much defensive play-doh)

Please! Trade for or draft a G to play G.

Would you rather have Cole as a backup or Samia? Would you rather have Cole competing at the guard spot where he possibly could be better than at center, or would you prefer a late 6th round draft pick competing?

I expect that we sign a guard yet in free agency who will start and draft another offensive line very early to be another starter.

Yep.

Blythe and one of these 5 (Slater, Vera Tucker, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Leatherwood)

Then people can continue the bitchfest because we don't have a proven Kicker.
Post #: 901
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:31:57 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-vikings-news/is-mason-cole-an-answer-at-guard-or-just-another-backup/

Bottomline: We have signed a below average C ‘square’ to fit into a G ‘circle’. It’s what we do.

Does anybody doubt that Spielman smashed all his toys as a toddler? (or that Zimmer ate too much defensive play-doh)

Would you rather have Cole as a backup or Samia? Would you rather have Cole competing at the guard spot where he possibly could be better than at center, or would you prefer a late 6th round draft pick competing?

I expect that we sign a guard yet in free agency who will start and draft another offensive line very early to be another starter.

I would rather that Spielman not have an OL blind spot and Zimmer acted more like a HC than a DC. Actually, I’d rather he was just DC.

Its a long offseason ... we’ll see what happens. You can look on the bright side if you choose to ... I am not convinced that Cole offers anything more than Dozier at G.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/29/2021 8:34:06 AM >
Post #: 902
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:33:20 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

eric wilson is still a free agent....

he seemed to play very well filling in for barr a couple of years back, but last season as a full-time starter for most of the year his weakness in the running game was exposed...we will very likely lose barr next year - could/should we sign wilson cheap and try to coach up his tackling and run game defense?....

'His PFF score was dragged down by his run-defense acumen. He graded at 38.3 last season in stopping the run, and that is rather awful for any defender. And it’s particularly strange because Wilson does everything else with esteem.

Tackling is not his forte – when compared to other linebackers with his skill set. Wilson notched a 12.2% missed tackle percentage in 2020. In 2019, Anthony Barr – the man that Wilson effectively replaced in 2020 – carried a 2.5% missed tackle rate.'...vikingsterritory

Where was he all these years when they talked about tackling? He's just a crappy tackler and was a big reason we were so bad against the run.
Post #: 903
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:35:34 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

he seemed to play very well filling in for barr a couple of years back, but last season as a full-time starter for most of the year his weakness in the running game was exposed...we will very likely lose barr next year - could/should we sign wilson cheap and try to coach up his tackling and run game defense?....

'His PFF score was dragged down by his run-defense acumen. He graded at 38.3 last season in stopping the run, and that is rather awful for any defender. And it’s particularly strange because Wilson does everything else with esteem.

Tackling is not his forte – when compared to other linebackers with his skill set. Wilson notched a 12.2% missed tackle percentage in 2020. In 2019, Anthony Barr – the man that Wilson effectively replaced in 2020 – carried a 2.5% missed tackle rate.'...vikingsterritory

Where was he all these years when they talked about tackling? He's just a crappy tackler and was a big reason we were so bad against the run.

Yeah. Just roll with Dye and Vigil.

and Parsons
Post #: 904
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:35:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

And to think I was called out for not being the sunny optimist, maybe by you, for saying Spielman would end up signing a couple of bottom tier guards.
Post #: 905
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:36:45 AM   
Bill Jandro

Samia shouldn't even make the PS let alone the 53 man roster. Never seen such a poor unprepared player and that's saying something considering the crap we've been starting at guard the last decade.

There are some pretty good G's in this draft that we really need to go get. Guessing Cole would be better than a 6/7 rd player but he also came with a bit of a price tag at 2.2ml. I think unless Spielman completely shocks the world by getting two quality players to man the left side Cole will be our starting LG.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 906
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:39:15 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

If we can sign a couple more DTs to help protect Wilson from having to tackle ... sure, why not.

Besides, would not be surprised AT ALL if we go LB round one ... because preparing for Barr’s departure next year vastly outweighs those silly OL issues this year (every year).

You know ... Barr was Zimmer’s first ... can he ever truly be replaced?

The idea of signing Wilson and surrounding him with players that can tackle has merit. Protect him with a tackling bubble. Sort of a 3-5-3 D.
Post #: 907
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:42:13 AM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

I have already stated that I think we are one solid OL (before the draft) away from having a great offseason. Spielman has somehow come through and done a great job revamping the defense (and I said that before we signed Woods).

We are just so close ...
Post #: 908
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:43:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Wilson tackles (or should I say avoids tackling) like Deion Sanders.

Post #: 909
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:44:09 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Samia shouldn't even make the PS let alone the 53 man roster. Never seen such a poor unprepared player and that's saying something considering the crap we've been starting at guard the last decade.

There are some pretty good G's in this draft that we really need to go get. Guessing Cole would be better than a 6/7 rd player but he also came with a bit of a price tag at 2.2ml. I think unless Spielman completely shocks the world by getting two quality players to man the left side Cole will be our starting LG.

"Mason Cole, another signee. He's a guy we watched closely. Got lost in the numbers game so we jumped at the opportunity. Coming off his first contract, we like that aspect as well, philosophically. Great attitude, vocal, communicates well. We think over time he can be a real leader on the offensive line."
Post #: 910
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:45:24 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

If we can sign a couple more DTs to help protect Wilson from having to tackle ... sure, why not.

Besides, would not be surprised AT ALL if we go LB round one ... because preparing for Barr’s departure next year vastly outweighs those silly OL issues this year (every year).

The idea of signing Wilson and surrounding him with players that can tackle has merit. Protect him with a tackling bubble. Sort of a 3-5-3 D.

Our new hybrid non-tackling ‘free range chicken’ position. All he does is roam around scooping up TOs, which Wilson does.
Post #: 911
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:46:31 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I have already stated that I think we are one solid OL (before the draft) away from having a great offseason. Spielman has somehow come through and done a great job revamping the defense (and I said that before we signed Woods).

We are just so close ...

You should bump it up a notch and 'go on record' with that.
Post #: 912
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:47:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our new hybrid non-tackling ‘free range chicken’ position. All he does is roam around scooping up TOs, which Wilson does.

Post #: 913
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:48:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

We are just so close ...

But the oline is a huge obstacle for Spielman/Zimmer. Just take cole for example. Another decent zone scheme run blocker that can't anchor in pass protection. They simply refuse to go out and get even one stud for the oline.

Post #: 914
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:52:18 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

And to think I was called out for not being the sunny optimist, maybe by you, for saying Spielman would end up signing a couple of bottom tier guards.

Its true ... I shredded you for stomping on people’s unrealistic FA wish lists ...

As it turns out, my wish for a middling G has become stupendously grandiose.

My apologies.
Post #: 915
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:52:20 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Actually he only had 2 toys. A square block, and a block with a round hole in it.
Post #: 916
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 8:52:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Since Blythe is a CENTER, he's probably at the top of Spielman's list for guard.
Post #: 917
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 9:01:40 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Actually he only had 2 toys. A square block, and a block with a round hole in it.

Our OL woes go directly back to the amusement of Spielman’s evil nanny.
Post #: 918
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 9:57:42 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

This is a sign of the level of malpractice here----if we sign a starter, then we'll be in a position to only have to DRAFT one starter instead of two. Remember, we currently have one above average starter (O'Neill, who is good to very good) and two below-average to average "starters", and then a bunch of reserves. Almost May, and we lack at least two starters......
Post #: 919
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 10:05:36 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. Just roll with Dye and Vigil.

and Parsons

i don't think spielman would move up for parsons, but if he's there at 14, he's ours....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 920
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 10:14:10 AM   
Hats4Bats

My mock draft (without Trader Rick's mass trade downs)...All good athletes and good all round football players. Be kind!
Also, assuming we sign either Lamp or Austin Blythe

1) Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
3) Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss
3) Deonte Brown OG Alabama
4) Trey Sermon RB Ohio St
4) Daelin Hayes Edge Notre Dame
4) Trey Hill OC Georgia
4) Charles Snowden OLB Virginia
5) Jacoby Stevens S LSU
5) TJ Vasher WR Texas Tech
6) Tre McKitty TE Georgia

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 921
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 10:35:40 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

This is a sign of the level of malpractice here----if we sign a starter, then we'll be in a position to only have to DRAFT one starter instead of two. Remember, we currently have one above average starter (O'Neill, who is good to very good) and two below-average to average "starters", and then a bunch of reserves. Almost May, and we lack at least two starters......

Spot on. I was expecting more on the OL in free agency. Instead, Cole is the splash signing. Since his acquisition was via a TRADE for a vaunted late-round trash draft pick, Spielman probably thinks he went all out.

O'Neill - good starter
Cleveland - unknown (assumes move to LT)
Bradbury - below average
Hill - good OT depth

The rest are scrap heap types, although Udoh is more of an unknown.

Looks like they are forced to go all-OL on days 1 and 2 of the draft.
Post #: 922
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 10:41:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

My mock draft (without Trader Rick's mass trade downs)...All good athletes and good all round football players. Be kind!
Also, assuming we sign either Lamp or Austin Blythe

1) Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
3) Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss
3) Deonte Brown OG Alabama
4) Trey Sermon RB Ohio St
4) Daelin Hayes Edge Notre Dame
4) Trey Hill OC Georgia
4) Charles Snowden OLB Virginia
5) Jacoby Stevens S LSU
5) TJ Vasher WR Texas Tech
6) Tre McKitty TE Georgia

Would rather they try Cleveland at LT before drafting one. Otherwise, he gets moved inside where he will be a liability and essentially becomes a wasted 2nd round pick. That suggests Vera-Tucker or Slater, but a LT is a premier position so there is that.

And DE before RB.
Post #: 923
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 10:59:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Spot on. I was expecting more on the OL in free agency. Instead, Cole is the splash signing. Since his acquisition was via a TRADE for a vaunted late-round trash draft pick, Spielman probably thinks he went all out.

O'Neill - good starter
Bradbury - below average
Hill - good OT depth

I think they really like Hinton. Plus there is Brandel OT they acquired somehow from Oregon St.

Even at that....lots of work to do even with Cole trade for depth.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 924
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/29/2021 11:06:14 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

O'Neill - good starter
Bradbury - below average
Hill - good OT depth

I think they really like Hinton. Plus there is Brandel OT they acquired somehow from Oregon St.

Even at that....lots of work to do even with Cole trade for depth.

So the scrap heap types can include the late round, fringe practice squad unknowns.
Post #: 925
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode