Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 3:20:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

This board loved Bradbury too and we see how that is turning out. Because of need, the Aloe Vera hoopla is through the roof here. The way the group-think is trending, posters will soon be in a panic and will demand a trade up for him.

Not part of his echo chamber.
Post #: 851
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 3:22:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If the Bengels don't take Sewell at #5 he could be in play at #6 with Miami. Although they're also rumored to be targeting one of the top wr's as well.

But I don't see all 3 (Sewell, Slater, & Darrisaw) all being off the board at 14. One should slip to us. I'm just afraid Zim will demand a DE at the pick.

Don't forget Vera Tucker being among those available guys. He could be an instant starter inside for us.

Agree Joe,

He would be a massive upgrade for us inside, with flex-ability to move outside if ever needed.

Hyperbole run amuck. For a tackle, Vera-Tucker has T-Rex arms. He is a short-limbed battler suitable for the proverbial "works best in a phone booth".

Might be the best G in this draft, but he is still a second tier G.

Depends on if his T-rex arms are just real short like two pinball flippers spaced too far apart or are they horribly short and useless like two appendixes sticking out of his body? Does he have plenty of sand in his pants?

Not sold on Vera-Tucker at 14.

Squat monster type. "Not sold" on him gets you banished around these parts.
Post #: 852
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 3:24:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Importing info on real players from the draft thread:

Deonte Brown. 6' 4", 350. Left guard.

Earned first team All-SEC honors from the league coaches ... played 843 snaps during the 2020 season and missed only two assignments while committing four penalties … allowed half of a sack, one pressure and five quarterback hurries ...

Landon Dickerson, 6' 6", 325. Has played some guard.

Has a bad injury history, including a current one. Maybe available in the mid rounds?

Add Landon Dickerson’s name to the long list of dominant centers in Alabama history and maybe the best interior offensive linemen in college football in 2020 … winner of the Rimington Trophy presented annually to the nation’s top center and a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy … unanimous first team All-American … earned first team All-SEC honors from both the Associated Press and league coaches … co-recipient of the SEC Jacobs Blocking Trophy, pairing with teammate Alex Leatherwood … suffered a season-ending knee injury in the SEC Championship Game … also a first team All-America selection by CBS Sports and ESPN.com ............... Pro Football Focus listed Dickerson as the top-rated run-blocking center with a grade of 92.8 while ranking No. 2 among centers in the FBS with an overall offensive grade of 91.5 entering the College Football Playoff … known for his physicality and brute power up the middle, the fifth-year senior spent his second year as the Crimson Tide’s starting center ...

Alex Leatherwood, 6' 6", 312. Has played guard (RG).

Elected to return for his senior season, passing up the NFL Draft ... arguably the best left tackle in college football who anchored an offensive line that won the 2020 Joe Moore Award ... became Alabama’s fifth Outland Trophy winner and the fourth since 2008 … unanimous first team All-American … first team All-SEC honoree by both the Associated Press and the league coaches … co-recipient of the SEC Jacobs Blocking Trophy, pairing with teammate Landon Dickerson … garnered first team All-America honors by the AP, CBS Sports, ESPN.com, the FWAA, The Sporting News and USA Today ... played in 48 career games with 41 consecutive starts dating back to 2018 ... averaged an overall blocking grade of 91.5 by the Alabama coaching staff and a 99.7 on assignments … anchor of an Alabama offensive line that blocked for the Power 5’s No. 1 scoring offense (48.5 ppg), No. 1 pass efficiency offense (198.9), No. 2 passing offense (358.2 ypg), No. 2 total offense (541.6 ypg) and No. 23 rushing attack (183.5 ypg) …........ Leatherwood played 832 snaps during the 2020 season and allowed only two sacks, missed only three assignments and committed just five penalties … surrendered just three quarterback hurries and four pressures … selected as a first team Preseason All-American by four outlets (AP, ESPN.com, TSN, USA Today) ...

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/26/2021 3:27:21 PM >
Post #: 853
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 3:39:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

Slater is the best G in the draft. he along with Vera Tucker don't have ideal NFL LT size. I'd take Slater at 14 but would prefer to trade down 6-8 spots before taking Tucker.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 854
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 4:03:39 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

Slater is the best G in the draft. he along with Vera Tucker don't have ideal NFL LT size. I'd take Slater at 14 but would prefer to trade down 6-8 spots before taking Tucker.

Sounds reasonable.

Bill J,
I admit to very little effort into researching this year's draft prospects so far, and so I would put my insight level at just a hair above none on this year's talent at this point.

Happened to see "Aloe Vera" on some Pro Day coverage. He looked impressive.
Admittedly a small sample/window into his talents or lack there-of.

PS
I've found Joejitsu's opinions and evals to be quite solid in the past, so I had no qualms agreeing with his position on Aloe when it reinforced what I saw at his Pro-day.

< Message edited by kevinemmer -- 3/26/2021 4:08:25 PM >
Post #: 855
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 5:20:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

49ers just acquired the Miami Dolphins #3 overall pick.

that's how you do it.

You want something, you go get it.

What would it take to get Sewell?

If it's a 3rd and a 4th, do it.

If you have to trade a future 1st rounder, pass.

I bet the 49ers are looking at one of the qb's. Maybe Wilson? I think Jimmy Gorgeous is going to be somewhere else pretty soon.

The ones left out, like perhaps the Panthers will go for Jimmy. I don't know if the Bears might bite. Oh. The Broncos might be looking to trade for Jimmy. Am I missing a team?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 856
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 5:25:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Miami's starting assets related to the trades were #3, 123.
Miami's ending assets are #6, 102, 156, SF 2023 1st round pick.

Don't know which first round pick Miami dealt to Philly so the above just deletes the SF 2022 1st rounder from both trades.

Value charts become more and more worthless as the rounds progress past #96 due to all the comp picks, and there isn't a value on a pick one or two years out. But I think Miami did well, mainly due to the front end of that set of trades.

I agree. If they can manage their quarterback situation, they are loading up. If their QB doesn't work out, then there will be a lot of critics who say they blew it.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 857
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 5:34:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Agree, and will say no way either get drafted to play OT.

Slater is talented and all, but moving a tackle inside IMO is a risk at 14. They do not automatically translate or 'get better'. Try that with later picks.

Agree too on Vera, his bells will go off once pick 20 rolls around. Hope they instead/later get Leatherwood AND Brown from Alabama (I am not an Alabama fan but like watching dominance). Brown played LG and Leatherwood had a season at RG.
Post #: 858
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 5:37:15 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

that's how you do it.

I bet the 49ers are looking at one of the qb's. Maybe Wilson? I think Jimmy Gorgeous is going to be somewhere else pretty soon.

The ones left out, like perhaps the Panthers will go for Jimmy. I don't know if the Bears might bite. Oh. The Broncos might be looking to trade for Jimmy. Am I missing a team?

For Jimmy? Yes you are missing a team. Hamlin, Hamlin & McGill (HHM).
Post #: 859
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 5:41:06 PM   
Pager

quote:

Don't know which first round pick Miami dealt to Philly so the above just deletes the SF 2022 1st rounder from both trades.

Value charts become more and more worthless as the rounds progress past #96 due to all the comp picks, and there isn't a value on a pick one or two years out. But I think Miami did well, mainly due to the front end of that set of trades.

This is brilliant maneuvering by Miami, imo. It says they have confidence in their QB room, Tua and Brissett. If they do have a QBOTF they have assets to draft or trade to build a team around him while he's on a rookie contract. If they are not right, they have future assets to try and get one.

It's a gamble for the 49ers but it means they think the top 2 or 3 QBs are all QBOTF. If they are right, easily worth it.

Even a good trade for the Eagles. They might want to give Hurts all the chance to succeed this year, if he doesn't do well they are positioned for next year. If Hurts does, they have assets to build around.

That's how you team build Spielman!

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 860
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 6:12:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

This is brilliant maneuvering by Miami, imo. It says they have confidence in their QB room, Tua and Brissett. If they do have a QBOTF they have assets to draft or trade to build a team around him while he's on a rookie contract. If they are not right, they have future assets to try and get one.

It's a gamble for the 49ers but it means they think the top 2 or 3 QBs are all QBOTF. If they are right, easily worth it.

Even a good trade for the Eagles. They might want to give Hurts all the chance to succeed this year, if he doesn't do well they are positioned for next year. If Hurts does, they have assets to build around.

To include trading assets to essentially tank

But yes, if they love Tua then #3 was sort of too high. They are now in the running for Sewell or a dominant WR, with additional incoming assets. They do not necessarily need the dominant blockers we do because Tua is Barry Sanders compared to Cousins and looks like he has good pocket awareness.

They could go WR. Think about Chase. He was so good that Jefferson played second fiddle, well not the star role. Waddle is incredible but was hurt.

Miami is positioned well.
Post #: 861
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 6:28:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Formula 1 season opener this weekend!

Like 7-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton said, a lot of people can shoot a three-pointer but very, very few get to drive an F1 car at speed.

He's going for his 8th title, which would be a record. Whoops wrong thread
Post #: 862
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 6:30:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

that's how you do it.

For Jimmy? Yes you are missing a team. Hamlin, Hamlin & McGill (HHM).

We see a guy in our neighborhood who seems to have a bit of Chuck's affliction. We never get a great look at him, but his car has some extra stuff going on inside and he is definitely wearing a mylar-based headgear of some kind--a cross between a bicyclist helmet and the Pope's hat. We keep looking out for Jimmy and a partner trying to run a con on us as we walk the nearby streets, but all we see is a bunch of peacocks....who must be part of a long con.
Post #: 863
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 7:02:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Are you saying that the Vikings need to tank so they can make these kind of deals? Or are you saying the Vikings can't do things at this level because they are coming from pick #14, but that they should trade back and collect extra picks and do what they can, or the opposite, trade three first round picks for the quarterback of the future next year?

Post #: 864
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 7:12:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Did this just happen, or does everybody know about this. I just learned.

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/mackensie-alexander-returning-to-vikings/6055091/

Post #: 865
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 7:16:21 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/mackensie-alexander-returning-to-vikings/6055091/

Other people are quoting Alexanders agent as well. For what thats worth.
Post #: 866
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 9:02:38 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

that's how you do it.

New England, maybe?
Post #: 867
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/26/2021 9:04:56 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

That is interesting, if it's true. He's good covering the slot receiver.
Post #: 868
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 2:35:08 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
It's a one-year deal worth the veteran minimum (along with a signing bonus) for Alexander, according to league sources.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 869
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 7:32:42 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

that's how you do it.

New England, maybe?

Yes, of course. How could I forget?

Post #: 870
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 8:59:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

It's a one-year deal worth the veteran minimum (along with a signing bonus) for Alexander, according to league sources.

That's pretty cheap for a servicable player like Mac.

This should also rule out Zim banging on the table for a 1st rd cb.

Post #: 871
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 9:09:51 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Vet minimum? Did he blow cookies in Cinncinati?
Post #: 872
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 9:37:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Sounds reasonable.

Bill J,
I admit to very little effort into researching this year's draft prospects so far, and so I would put my insight level at just a hair above none on this year's talent at this point.

PS
I've found Joejitsu's opinions and evals to be quite solid in the past, so I had no qualms agreeing with his position on Aloe when it reinforced what I saw at his Pro-day.

Don't get me wrong Tucker is very good. Most sites rank him as the best G in this class with good feet and a great fit for ZBS. I'd be very happy if we got him.

Post #: 873
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 9:52:46 AM   
Tom Sykes

Peterson, Mac, Tomlinson in addition to Hunter, Pierce and Barr. That's six new solid or better starters ... four of those already groomed in 'the system' (technically, Pierce counts even if its just his nose in the playbook). Stir in Kendricks and Smith ... that's a pretty flippin' crazy upgrade for one year.

With long-in-the-tooth back-ups DL Weatherly, Mata'afa, Homes, LB Vigil, CB Hughes and freshman / sophomore draftees DL Lynch, Wonnum, Wilekes, Watts LB Dye, Smith, CB Dantzler, Gladney, Boyd, Hand and S Metellus,(maybe Hand) ...

If it's not a DE or S in rounds 1-3 ... we may be looking at 89 draft picks this year on the offensive side of the ball.

It's ironic but Spielman 'build through the draft' Spielman made up his mind to fix the defense through free agency, and Spielman 'give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses of rental OL' Spielman has committed to building the OL through the draft.

Go figure.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/27/2021 10:01:38 AM >
Post #: 874
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/27/2021 9:57:55 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds reasonable.

Bill J,

PS

Don't get me wrong Tucker is very good. Most sites rank him as the best G in this class with good feet and a great fit for ZBS. I'd be very happy if we got him.

Best G in a real bad class of Gs.

As an example, last year we took a WR in a historically good WR class.

I like Tucker too but the math just doesn't work at #14.
Post #: 875
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode